• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I personally hope we get at least one character as DLC that was a spirit in Ultimate. Or I would wish Sakurai would elaborate that none of the characters with spirits are going to be DLC that way no one's hopes are let up.

I think at best only two of the slots will be Nintendo characters. If spirits are deconfirmations, then only one (likely an advertisement character like someone from Fire Emblem Three Houses).

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
D A R N. Things are getting pretty heated around here. AND we aren't even sure if they will even show off their first DLC pick at the Game Awards, let alone the Square rep.

D

Deleted member

This is a stickler for me, too. The language is directly implying one of the characters is from 2014. It's such a weird cut-off date otherwise.
I know, right?
And yet, there's really not a notable option here...not while Shovel Knight is an Assist.

I know I joked about Freddy Fazbear, but I literally can't think of anyone else notable who debuted in 2014 other than SK and Freddy....

osby

Smash Obsessed
I personally hope we get at least one character as DLC that was a spirit in Ultimate. Or I would wish Sakurai would elaborate that none of the characters with spirits are going to be DLC that way no one's hopes are let up.
Crazy suggestion, but: How about fans don't get their hopes up for no reason?

I imagine a sizable portion of the fanbase is at least young adults, they shouldn't need a marketing team controlling their emotions.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
To be fair tho he's probably the most popular and recognizable FF villain and most likely to be chosen for that reason.
Yeah well people are dumb.

Play some more FF games guys.
Seriously.
I mean come on.

I've yet to see Sephiroth gut-punch a bishie into a clifface

Or have a heavy metal theme song

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
D A R N. Things are getting pretty heated around here. AND we aren't even sure if they will even show off their first DLC pick at the Game Awards, let alone the Square rep.
I'm certain we're going smash related at the game awards, there a lot of evidence pointing to it happening. Heck, it's happening the DAY before smash ultimate comes out, so who knows?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

More news at 11.

I'll probably stick around and just lurk more in this thread. Or maybe I'll apply for a moderator position if I can and do that.

To be honest, I feel like I've made too many friends this speculation cycle to truly leave.
Let's be honest, this thread is both mostly a Smash thread and a semi-social thread to the point where I'll be able to spout out whatever Spawn Wave or NateDrake says, so you'll be down here at least for the rare insider info that's right. :dazwa:

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
I know, right?
And yet, there's really not a notable option here...not while Shovel Knight is an Assist.

I know I joked about Freddy Fazbear, but I literally can't think of anyone else notable who debuted in 2014 other than SK and Freddy....

She's finally in

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I disagree completely, the Grinch Hoax did a far better job splitting the fanbase then the November Direct ever did. Between the Insider vs. 'leak bait' crowd, the #TeamReal vs. #TeamFake tribalism, the Incineroar/Steve bashing and other manners of crap that week should go down as one of the worst and most toxic periods of speculation that Smash ever had. It also had the negative effect of causing expectations to be much higher then they should've despite the warnings that Sakurai himself gave, so the feeling of hype crashing down was made exponentially worse by virtue of that hoax.

I'd much rather deal with sitting through the November Direct 100 times over then sitting through the Grinch week for one more moment. I don't know how a pleasant scenario where you had beloved characters getting in got twisted into such a hateful mess.
And you know what the saddest thing about that whole scenario is?

THE FANBASE WAS ON TRACK TO HAVE REASONABLE EXPECTATIONS.

Like, before the Grinch Hoax the most people suggested besides Ken and Incineroar were maybe some third parties (Sora, Dante, Steve) and Celica because of that 4chan "leak" Opossum Opossum made, but even then most people were ready to accept just Ken and Incineroar and call it a day.

And then the Grinch leak comes out with 7 ****ING CHARACTERS attached to it, all of which are popular picks for speculation, but at the same time has all these flaws. Despite this, people take it to be 100% primarily because of confirmation bias. The banner had already been faked before too, but despite that and other convincing evidence from vaan and Artsy Omni (is it okay to talk about him now, or is he still a shill?) most people believed it to be real and **** on people who even expressed doubt in it. I understand that the insiders acted immature, but they were beset by rabid hoards of Smash fans who were absolutely horrible to them and they lashed out in defense, so it's understandable. The evidence for the it was neat, but never came together similar to the evidence against it.

I've talked before about how dangerous expectations can be, and there's no better case study than the Grinch Hoax, where fan expectations got so high that they turned on any dissenters and bought into blind bias and tribalism.

Last edited:

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
Isn't Lloyd and Yuri a rumor that Polarpanda hears about in some discord?
No, it's something that several other leakers have heard. Hitagi was open about hearing Tales Of being DLC too. The problem is that the info hasn't been verified. Lloyd's name has gone around to many sources including Hitagi's, but no source whose heard Lloyd has been able to confirm it yet. I tried to clarify this a lot last night, but I'll reiterate... Somebody heard that Lloyd's name was going around between multiple leakers (this was Fatman, the person who kept teasing him). The person kept teasing Lloyd. I felt bad for all the people guessing, so I told them that Fatman was just teasing Lloyd. Then, I clarified that Fatman simply heard that Lloyd's name was going around. I also had to clarify that the lloyd info is not verified, it is not something that I am leaking right now. Just so people don't twist my words again...

And no, it didn't come from Discord, I heard it from people in the community. Won't pass around names on that front. But, if you need any indication that its gone around, notice that Hitagi already mentioned hearing it about 4 days ago. It's not exactly hidden, many people probably just missed Hitagi mention it.

D

Deleted member

So...medieval fantasy Metroidvania game with large, non-linear exploration with a protagonist that can wield a Sword, Spear, Two Axes, Claws, Lighting Powered Gloves, Ice Staff, and a Greatsword and use various magics abilites such as Fire Spells, Ice Spells, Lighting Spells, and other spells, as well as summoning spirits to aid you in combat, defense, or status boosts.

OR

A futuristic 2D action platformer similar to titles such as Mega Man and Contra with the freedom to choose which order of levels you go through, with a super-powered protagonist that has martial arts along with Laser Superpowera, which allows him to fire laser beams, laser grenades, laser explosions, travel a high rates of speed, teleport, generate laser power shockwaves, and generate Plasma blades from his hands, and the ability to gain more powers such as Pyrokenisis, Geokenisis, Aerokenisis, Anit-Matter Control, and Biological Maniuplation by defeating bosses of the levels, all of which can be leveled up by gaining XP.

Which sounds cooler to you?

Last edited by a moderator:

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
Toadette existed long before Treasure Tracker.
You misunderstood me.

That's her super-alter-ego. Captain Toadette. She debuted in 2014!

Toadette has a spirit, but not Captain Toadette. Is it because Captain Toadette is playable.... Embarrass

D

Deleted member

You misunderstood me.

That's her super-alter-ego. Captain Toadette. She debuted in 2014!

Toadette has a spirit, but not Captain Toadette. Is it because Captain Toadette is playable.... Embarrass
Nah, you're just not ready for Freddy. :troll:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Yeah well people are dumb.

Play some more FF games guys.
Seriously.
I mean come on.

I've yet to see Sephiroth gut-punch a bishie into a clifface

Or have a heavy metal theme song
You have a point but here's the thing.

People don't care, Ninty knows what makes the money, as does Square and that's the man with the sword and the wing.

(FF8 is a fever dream that doesn't exist...jk, but yeah Square is an odd fish...also Kefka is dank.)

Last edited:

Ignoritus

Smash Journeyman
I still have a lot of optimism for the DLC Pass. I'll play it straight with you all, I still think Geno's got shot. Even if i'm in the same circle as Polarpanda, i'll only change my tune if i hear something heavily against him. And i feel like you guys should be optimistic about the future of DLC. Only cry foul when we reach the end. Never while it has barely started.

And hey. We got a game to play in 3 days folks.
The unfortunate fact of the matter is that someone is always going to lose. I was honestly heavily disappointed by the Smash 4 DLC, and I know that many people (very understandably) felt that the DLC lineup for that game was fantastic. Unfortunately a lot of the names being passed around for DLC right now are more of the same for me. The only member of the SE list that wouldn't somewhat disappoint me is Geno, and perhaps Crono though I think he has the lowest odds out of anyone on that list. Lloyd would similarly have no appeal to me.

Stuff like Adeleine/Sylux/Poochy/Porky I'd find neat, but I find the "argument" in their favor is extremely flawed and built on assumptions which are demonstrably false. Ironically, I think the one big name in speculation right now I'd actually really enjoy is Steve.

I don't think there's a lot of cause to "cry foul", especially not yet since no one seems to know what's going on, but I think it's always important to remember that even if it seems like a great lineup to you some people will inevitably wind up disappointed. And the reverse is true as well of course: just because you're upset doesn't mean no one is happy. In the end it can be very hard to accept someone else's opinion (especially since it feels like if you support a decision you disagree with, more like it will be made in the future), but it's important to not step on anyone else's toes simply because you don't understand how they could possibly want/not want a character.

Last edited:

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
And you know what the saddest thing about that whole scenario is?

THE FANBASE WAS ON TRACK TO HAVE REASONABLE EXPECTATIONS.

Like, before the Grinch Hoax the most people suggested besides Ken and Incineroar were maybe some third parties (Sora, Dante, Steve) and Celica because of that 4chan "leak" Opossum Opossum made, but even then most people were ready to accept just Ken and Incineroar and call it a day. And then the Grinch leak comes out with 7 ****ING CHARACTERS attached to it but all these flaws, yet people take it to be 100% primarily because of fan bias clouding the eyes of many. The banner had already been faked before too, but despite that and other convincing evidence from vaan and Artsy Omni (is it okay to talk about him now, or is he still a shill?) most people believed it to be real and **** on people who even expressed doubt in it. I understand that the insiders acted immature, but they were beset by rabid hoards of Smash fans who were absolutely horrible to them and they lashed out in defense, so it's understandable. The evidence for the it was neat, but never came together similar to the evidence against it.

I've talked before about how dangerous expectations can be, and there's no better case study than the Grinch Hoax, where fan expectations got so high that they turned on any dissenters and bought into blind bias and tribalism.
While I was on Team Fake. I can't deny the Grinch also sky rocketed my expectation a lot. Maybe not as much as Team Real, but it still clouded my judgement despite me not believing it.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Crazy suggestion, but: How about fans don't get their hopes up for no reason?

I imagine a sizable portion of the fanbase is at least young adults, they shouldn't need a marketing team controlling their emotions.
You are asking too much of a lot of people. We got two of the single most wanted newcomers for the last 10 years in (Ridley and K. Rool), no cuts, and Castlevania in, yet there was still a lot of people throwing a fit over characters that are technically retro at this point. Bandwagoning is worse than ever among the Smash Bros. core in my opinion.

I was among the few NOT disappointed with the final direct (I was only expecting Incineroar, Ken, and the first DLC character, and maybe another echo fighter that was a last, last minute addition). I actually ended up getting hyped for the last two newcomers due to how their unveil trailer was handled.

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
So...medieval fantasy Metroidvania game with large, non-linear exploration with a protagonist that can wield a Sword, Spear, Two Axes, Claws, Lighting Powered Gloves, Ice Staff, and a Greatsword and use various magics abilites such as Fire Spells, Ice Spells, Lighting Spells, and other spells, as well as summoning spirits to aid you in combat, defense, or status boosts.

OR

A futuristic 2D action platformer similar to titles such as Mega Man and Contra with the freedom to choose which order of levels you go through, with a super-powered protagonist that has martial arts along with Laser Superpowera, which allows him to fire laser beams, laser grenades, laser explosions, travel a high rates of speed, teleport, generate laser power shockwaves, and generate Plasma blades from his hands, and the ability to gain more powers such as Pyrokenisis, Geokenisis, Aerokenisis, Anit-Matter Control, and Biological Maniuplation by defeating bosses of the levels, all of which can be leveled up by gaining XP.

Which sounds cooler to you?
The first idea sounds like a 2D version of Drakengard/NiER... AND I LIKE IT!!!

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Banjo-Kazooie
Lloyd Irving
Poochy
Sephiroth
Sylux

If these were the final five how would you guys feel? Personally I'd be satisfied. Its got Banjo and another Metroid rep IMO would be very welcoming on top of a third party villain. I also know of a certain someone who'd be happy with Poochy's inclusion. :p

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Banjo-Kazooie
Lloyd Irving
Poochy
Sephiroth
Sylux

If these were the final five how would you guys feel? Personally I'd be satisfied. Its got Banjo and another Metroid rep IMO would be very welcoming on top of a third party villain. I also know of a certain someone who'd be happy with Poochy's inclusion. :p
Unimpressed.
But not unexpected.

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
You are asking too much of a lot of people. We got two of the single most wanted newcomers for the last 10 years in (Ridley and K. Rool), no cuts, and Castlevania in, yet there was still a lot of people throwing a fit over characters that are technically retro at this point. Bandwagoning is worse than ever among the Smash Bros. core in my opinion.

I was among the few NOT disappointed with the final direct (I was only expecting Incineroar, Ken, and the first DLC character, and maybe another echo fighter that was a last, last minute addition). I actually ended up getting hyped for the last two newcomers due to how their unveil trailer was handled.
I was disappointed in the direct honestly but for other reasons. lol. Like the fact that he was leading us through options menus.

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
Banjo-Kazooie
Lloyd Irving
Poochy
Sephiroth
Sylux

Meh, i think we have enough villains. The only ones i'll care about are Poochy & Banjo.

Are we seriously considering Poochy? Why?
1. He's one of the few character that didn't get a spirit
2. He is a good boy.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Banjo-Kazooie
Lloyd Irving
Poochy
Sephiroth
Sylux

"Wake me up when 2010 comes"

ChronoKatie

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cocobrien
Switch FC
7004 2762 0628
Depends on if you think the insider info going around is enough to constitute as news.
Oh? And what might that insider info be? :O Last I heard was the L-character rumor and the 3 Square rep stuff.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Banjo-Kazooie
Lloyd Irving
Poochy
Sephiroth
Sylux

Yeah, Biochute LOVES Poochy!!! :yoshi:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Why not Yangus?

Because people of culture are the losers of history that's why... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom