• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Octorockandroll

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
I'm gonna place a bet, Whatever SE rep gets revealed, i'll play a game relating to the rep
If the SE Rep is the Luminary i'll play Dragon Quest XI
If the SE Rep is Erdrick i'll play Dragon Quest III
If the SE Rep is Slime i'll play Rocket Slime or Dragon Quest Monsters
If the SE rep is Crono i'll play Chrono Trigger
and if the SE rep is Sepiroth i'll play Final Fantasy VII
There's no way SE is suddenly confident enough in DQ's international support to make that their rep will be from that series. I remember those long years waiting for us to get games like Dragon Quest X.

The logical part of me guesses either Sora because he's popular and can cross promote with KH3 supposedly close or maybe Lara Croft, since even though they would have to tone down her violence à la Snake, she's still considered an icon of classic gaming. However, the emotional part of me wants Squall. Simple as that.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I'm just personally exhausted by the Square discussion.

As long as it's not DQ I'm good. I'm gucci.

And I have multiple reasons for not wanting DQ. The main one being that I have no personal experience with this franchise and it would be the least exciting of the options for me.

And this is personally how I feel A LOT of people might feel about Dragon Quest if it's chosen in the West. It's just ''Okay. Sure. Whatever." for a lot of people because it's still not a thing over here really.

It just doesn't seem to interest us Americans much
Yes, but most picks for Smash Bros. enjoy a great amount of Japanese requests or popularity, with the occasional Western (Little Mac and Ridley for example) to sate us. This could very well be our first Japanese pick.
There's no way SE is suddenly confident enough in DQ's international support to make that their rep will be from that series. I remember those long years waiting for us to get games like Dragon Quest X.

The logical part of me guesses either Sora because he's popular and can cross promote with KH3 supposedly close or maybe Lara Croft, since even though they would have to tone down her violence à la Snake, she's still considered an icon of classic gaming. However, the emotional part of me wants Squall. Simple as that.
Calane Calane , tell him why Square would want to push Dragon Quest in the West.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I'm gonna place a bet, Whatever SE rep gets revealed, i'll play a game relating to the rep
If the SE Rep is the Luminary i'll play Dragon Quest XI
If the SE Rep is Erdrick i'll play Dragon Quest III
If the SE Rep is Slime i'll play Rocket Slime or Dragon Quest Monsters
If the SE rep is Crono i'll play Chrono Trigger
and if the SE rep is Sepiroth i'll play Final Fantasy VII
How is that a bet? You win no matter what the result is.

You need a losing scenario. Like if it's Sora you have to play Kingdom Hearts.

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
Uh...okay, come for me, but I'm literally just re-stating info I heard that went completely disproved, like we're all doing right now. But sure, let's act like me wanting Geno in is why even though I've plain out put down his chances of him being in numerous times before.
I had heard nothing about that till you said it and it even confused another one of the insiders they are friends with. Im sorry but you gotta realize how that comes off. Especially if Im not intimately into your posting history.

D

Deleted member

To be honest I might take a step back from the community after the SE rep is revealed. It's something I've been tossing around in my head for a while, but this is the least amount of fun I've had speculating in the entire time I've been a part of the speculation community, and if things keep going as such I want little part in it. After the SE rep is revealed I'll also have no more stake when it comes to character inclusions (I accept a Persona rep is highly unlikely, especially if Nintendo made the list), so I'll have no reason to hang around other than to chill with you guys. I'll probably move mainly to the Social thread or just post a lot less, but leaving is certainly an idea, especially because I've also got a life that's only going to get busier and I'll have much less time for procrastinating on Smashboards.
TPC confirmed dead, you heard it first.

I'mma have to agree with Shroob Shroob for at least after the August Direct, Smash Ultimate speculation wasn't fun anymore. I legitimately believe that if the Grinch Hoax was a reality, we would've had the best of all timelines. What we got however was a terrible Nintendo Direct on a simple fundamental level that caused quite a divide more than pre-November Direct.

Maybe JC from Nintendo is right about the DLC being a "must-have", but they also thought Smash Tour and Corrin (pre-Ultimate) were good ideas.

Last edited by a moderator:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I'm a JRPG fan in the general sense so the rumors sound good to me either way.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Consider this though:
Perhaps the lack of Western appeal is the exact reason why they would want to pick DQ?

Business-wise it would make sense to market a character that you know will already have a dedicated fan following in your own country (and guaranteed sales) and at the same time would market the series to other countries, bringing in more worldwide appeal and driving up sales for your recently released game and future Switch port. Perhaps they're hoping for another "Fire Emblem" effect.

At the same time from a Japanese businessman's perspective, there's no denying how popular and influential Dragon Quest has been in your own country. It wouldn't be a stretch to call it a cultural phenomenon and not just you, but your entire country loves it, adding a personal reason as to why a DQ rep would make sense.

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
katalina
agnes
gothitelle
geolyte
the vifam figure itself piloted by steve?

get hype for dlc everybody.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Yes, but most picks for Smash Bros. enjoy a great amount of Japanese requests or popularity, with the occasional Western (Little Mac and Ridley for example) to sate us. This could very well be our first Japanese pick.

Calane Calane , tell him why Square would want to push Dragon Quest in the West.
They've pushed this on us like what.....3 or 4 times now? It's not for a lack of trying.

It's just the West is still going ''Nah. I don't want this."

Not sure why that is, because I think the character design is neat when I look at it, but it just...it's never screamed play me to me.

And that's probably what's happening with a lot of others that it's still a franchise enjoying pretty much 90 percent of it's success in only one side of the world.

I don't think pushing it in Smash is gonna be the secret master key that finally makes people go ''And now I'm a Dragon Quest fan."

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
I can def see Sora being that character that was shot down INSTANTLY to the point where people in the office were really upset and tried to argue for it. If the limited time dlc for him in World of Final Fantasy was anything to go by than square probably just knows the amount issues that it would lead into.

Chrono and Erdrick/Slime have a chance and are also difficult to get. I can see nintendo trying to get one of these in but in the end could only agree with the only choice possible which was

Sephiroth

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

I'mma have to agree with Shroob Shroob for at least after the August Direct, Smash Ultimate speculation wasn't fun anymore. I legitimately believe that if the Grinch Hoax was a reality, we would've had the best of all timelines. What we got however was a terrible Nintendo Direct on a simple fundamental level that caused quite a divide more than pre-November Direct.

Maybe JC from Nintendo is right about the DLC being a "must-have", but they also thought Smash Tour and Corrin (pre-Ultimate) were good ideas.
More news at 11.

I'll probably stick around and just lurk more in this thread. Or maybe I'll apply for a moderator position if I can and do that.

To be honest, I feel like I've made too many friends this speculation cycle to truly leave.

Last edited:

Octorockandroll

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Consider this though:
Perhaps the lack of Western appeal is the exact reason why they would pick DQ?

Business-wise it would make sense to market a character that you know will already have a dedicated fan following in your own country and at the same time would market the series to other countries, bringing in more worldwide appeal and driving up sales.
And at the same time from a Japanese-centric perspective, there's no denying how popular and influential Dragon Quest has been in your own country and how much not just you, but your entire country loves it, adding a personal reason as to why a DQ rep is possible.
I'm not saying that couldn't work for them, but I am saying there's a strong precedent they won't take the chance and find out. DQ already has a popular series of multiple crossover games with series like Final Fantasy and Mario which are way bigger over here and they didn't even want to bring more than one of the 12 entries in that series over here. I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but I feel that my assumption has the stronger historical basis.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
They've pushed this on us like what.....3 or 4 times now? It's not for a lack of trying.

It's just the West is still going ''Nah. I don't want this."

Not sure why that is, because I think the character design is neat when I look at it, but it just...it's never screamed play me to me.

And that's probably what's happening with a lot of others that it's still a franchise enjoying pretty much 90 percent of it's success in only one side of the world.

I don't think pushing it in Smash is gonna be the secret master key that finally makes people go ''And now I'm a Dragon Quest fan."
I mean, for company so dead set on promotion like SE, it makes perfect sense. Especially with how close the series is to Nintendo, with Nintendo even covering them with some Western releases.

TriforceBun

Smash Apprentice
Count me in as something who'd love to see DQ. It's the obvious missing third-party at this point, the grandfather of JRPGs and a consistently strong series for 30+ years!

If Sephiroth ends up being the Square rep, I might have to hurl my Switch out the window.

Droodle

Smash Lord
Consider this though:
Perhaps the lack of Western appeal is the exact reason why they would pick DQ?

Business-wise it would make sense to market a character that you know will already have a dedicated fan following in your own country and at the same time would market the series to other countries, bringing in more worldwide appeal and driving up sales.
And at the same time from a Japanese-centric perspective, there's no denying how popular and influential Dragon Quest has been in your own country and how much not just you, but your entire country loves it, adding a personal reason as to why a DQ rep is possible.
I think if DQ is the SE rep, it will most likely not be the first DLC revealed. I think the first character has to have worldwide appeal in order to sell as many passes as possible. DQ doesn't have that kind of acclaim in the west, sadly. Unless the character is Slime, of course.

The other major SE franchises are TR, KH, and FF. Lara doesn't have a ton of crossover appeal with the audience of smash. Sora fits the bill perfectly, but his rights are a nuisance. Popular FF characters would definitely be exciting but we already have FF representation.

I feel pretty confident that either Yuri or Lloyd will get in but those won't be the 1st characters revealed either.

Banjo has a good shot of being the first DLC rep revealed. Despite how memed characters like Sans and Steve are, they would also make sense as the first rep.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If Sephiroth ends up being the Square rep, I might have to hurl my Switch out the window.
Why? I think Sephiroth more then enough would earn his place in Smash if he made the cut being one of the most iconic video game villains alongside Bowser and Eggman. Not to mention he'd be the first third party villain to join the roster.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Count me in as something who'd love to see DQ. It's the obvious missing third-party at this point, the grandfather of JRPGs and a consistently strong series for 30+ years!

Matthew Taranto? Creator of Brawl in the Family?

I LOVE YOUR WORK SO MUCH IT WAS SO GOOD WHY DID YOU HAVE TO GO?!

Seriously though, I never thought I'd ever get to meet you, even on a forum like this.

Regardless, as I've been saying it all lines up for Dragon Quest.

Rummy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rummy
Switch FC
7820-4094-4523
I still have a lot of optimism for the DLC Pass. I'll play it straight with you all, I still think Geno's got shot. Even if i'm in the same circle as Polarpanda, i'll only change my tune if i hear something heavily against him. And i feel like you guys should be optimistic about the future of DLC. Only cry foul when we reach the end. Never while it has barely started.

And hey. We got a game to play in 3 days folks.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
>mfw people keep pushing Sephiroth for the FF villain when characters like Kefla, Jecht, Vayne, and Ardyn exist.
tidus laugh.gif

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
-No one from after 2014 (so does this mean someone from 2014??)
This is a stickler for me, too. The language is directly implying one of the characters is from 2014. It's such a weird cut-off date otherwise.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

I'mma have to agree with Shroob for at least after the August Direct, Smash Ultimate speculation wasn't fun anymore. I legitimately believe that if the Grinch Hoax was a reality, we would've had the best of all timelines. What we got however was a terrible Nintendo Direct on a simple fundamental level that caused quite a divide more than pre-November Direct.

I can definitely agree with Smash Speculation not being fun after August. I got my 2 most wanted characters at that point (Ridley and K Rool) and my next most wanted died (Ashley). Every other character I want I considered a Pipe Dream not worth trying to speculate about. There's been a few times where I got my interest in speculation piqued a little bit (Like Isabelle) only for it to be dashed instantly (That ****ing box). Now, I'm just here for the ride and hoping a DQ rep gets in and Tales gets a rep as well while Steve stays out. Other than that, I'm only campaining for Promotions until DLC is officially confirmed over.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Another idea of Smash fanart if Sephiroth is the SE rep is him being at a pub celebrating with:ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultganondorf::ultkrool::ultpiranha::ultridley::ultdarksamus::ultwolf: throwing a party for him with a banner above saying "To our first third party villain!" raising their mugs (Bowser Jr. with chocolate milk) while other villains are outside looking through a window on the verge of tears saddened that they didn't make the cut.

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
>mfw people keep pushing Sephiroth for the FF villain when characters like Kefla, Jecht, Vayne, and Ardyn exist.
View attachment 181359
Kind of have to agree to a degree... I never found Sephiroth that engaging of a villian, he was certainly threatening but he's definitely not the kind of villain I enjoy in a JRPG.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I still have a lot of optimism for the DLC Pass. I'll play it straight with you all, I still think Geno's got shot. Even if i'm in the same circle as Polarpanda, i'll only change my tune if i hear something heavily against him. And i feel like you guys should be optimistic about the future of DLC. Only cry foul when we reach the end. Never while it has barely started.

And hey. We got a game to play in 3 days folks.
Don't get me wrong, I'm optimistic for it.

I just know Sora won't be in so I'm not getting my hopes up.

TriforceBun

Smash Apprentice
Why? I think Sephiroth more then enough would earn his place in Smash if he made the cut being one of the most iconic video game villains alongside Bowser and Eggman. Not to mention he'd be the first third party villain to join the roster.
It would feel like a massive waste for us to get two characters from Square-Enix (which has dozens of strong, iconic characters to pick from), and have them both be from the same game. SE is far more than FF7. Sephiroth getting in before a DQ rep (or even a FF character from a different game in the series) would be like M. Bison getting in instead of Mega Man. From a business perspective, it wouldn't make much sense either; how many people would NOT buy Smash with Cloud already in it, but WOULD buy it with Sephiroth?

Villains are cool to have in Smash, but if they had to go this route, I'd much rather someone like Kefka (granted, FF6 is one of my all-time favorite games).

Matthew Taranto? Creator of Brawl in the Family?

I LOVE YOUR WORK SO MUCH IT WAS SO GOOD WHY DID YOU HAVE TO GO?!

Seriously though, I never thought I'd ever get to meet you, even on a forum like this.

Regardless, as I've been saying it all lines up for Dragon Quest.
Hiya! Thank you! I'm still doing some comics for the Waluigi book next year, so we'll see where things go after that.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Another idea of Smash fanart if Sephiroth is the SE rep is him being at a pub celebrating with:ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultganondorf::ultkrool::ultpiranha::ultridley::ultdarksamus::ultwolf: throwing a party for him with a banner above saying "To our first third party villain!" raising their mugs (Bowser Jr. with chocolate milk) while other villains are outside looking through a window on the verge of tears saddened that they didn't make the cut.
I hope:ultbowserjr: includes Koopalings, too.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

I disagree completely, the Grinch Hoax did a far better job splitting the fanbase then the November Direct ever did. Between the Insider vs. 'leak bait' crowd, the #TeamReal vs. #TeamFake tribalism, the Incineroar/Steve bashing and other manners of crap that week should go down as one of the worst and most toxic periods of speculation that Smash ever had. It also had the negative effect of causing expectations to be much higher then they should've despite the warnings that Sakurai himself gave, so the feeling of hype crashing down was made exponentially worse by virtue of that hoax.

I'd much rather deal with sitting through the November Direct 100 times over then sitting through the Grinch week for one more moment. I don't know how a pleasant scenario where you had beloved characters getting in got twisted into such a hateful mess.

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
Here are my opinions on the potential SE reps
Sepiroth: I want to like him but... i don't wanna see another Final Fantasy character from 7, give me someone like Terra, Zidane, Black Mage, or hell even Noctis, i'd be much more interested in those guys over Ow The Edge.
Slime: Personal favorite of mine, he could make for an intresting moveset
Erdrick: Didn't care
Luminary: Didn't care
Crono: Didn't care, but kinda interested in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom