• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Actually, now that I think about it, this probably was universally the reaction everyone had when Chrom was revealed.
shoutouts to lasagna cat also NSFW language in vid I suppose god bless

[Redacted Content]

Last edited by a moderator:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I know Steve Burton defines :ultcloud: to FF fans but I really don’t understand why they couldn’t just give him a different non union English VA if Nintendo refuses to credit him.

I mean, he’s basically a sore thumb now that :ultmarth::ultroy:and even :ultzelda: speak can English.

Even characters with Japanese VAs speak Engrish at best.(:ultness::ultfalcon::ultincineroar::ultpikachu:etc)
Honestly, as weeby as this sounds, I'll take a Japanese Cloud I'm acquainted with over an English Cloud that's alien to me.

I really don't feel it's necessary to have the English language just for the sake of having all characters speak the same language, especially considering how some other languages probably don't even have the option to begin with.

That said, and this is sounding even weebier, please, let me have the option of using Japanese Marth with English text. I need my "me nah, meet teh kur ei." I love you Yuri Lowenthal, but there's such a thing as too much of a good thing.
Actually, now that I think about it, this probably was universally the reaction everyone had when Chrom was revealed.
shoutouts to lasagna cat also NSFW language in vid I suppose god bless
[Redacted Content]
What the **** is this and why is it almost 5 hours long.

Last edited by a moderator:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Nintendo is one of the few companies left that actually value quality as much as profitability. Like, sure. They could pump out Mario and Zelda yearly and make a **** ton of money off of it but they know when they have something special on their hands, a cult classic or critical darling. Usually both. See Eternal Darkness, MonolithSoft in general, and Bayonetta.

It's not ALL about profit for them. It's also about pushing the industry forward. For as much as Sony has done wrong recently they do just as well as Nintendo at this too.
Nintendo is definitely one of the few cooperations that make an effort to ensure that their games are just as much fun as they are profitable. They're a business, they want to make money, they are no one's friend, but they're also aware that a good game brings a happy customer.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Even characters with Japanese VAs speak Engrish at best.(:ultness::ultfalcon::ultincineroar::ultpikachu::ultpichu:etc)
You just explained why only English speaking fans have this problem and they got it better than everyone else.

Also Pichu and Pikachu aren't English.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Honestly, as weeby as this sounds, I'll take a Japanese Cloud I'm acquainted with over an English Cloud that's alien to me.

I really don't feel it's necessary to have the English language just for the sake of having all characters speak the same language, especially considering how some other languages probably don't even have the option to begin with.

That said, and this is sounding even weebier, please, let me have the option of using Japanese Marth with English text. I need my "me nah, meet teh kur ei." I love you Yuri Lowenthal, but there's such a thing as too much of a good thing.
I don't think it's as much for the sake of parity among the roster (people were fine with Marth & Roy staying Japanese) as much as it is just because he has a longstanding English VA. You might be acquainted with the Japanese version but I'd bet most Cloud fans from outside of Smash are acquainted with the English one, it's not like Cloud usually speaks Japanese in localized games. It'd be like if for some reason Fox or Pit was stuck speaking Japanese.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

What the **** is this and why is it almost 5 hours long.
Pretty much the biggest ****post you'll ever find.

**** man, I actually forgot about the ending of that video. ALL I REMEMBER WAS THE WEEDLORD BONERHITLER AND CHROM PART, NOT THE MIND**** AT THE END.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Here's a fun game because I'm bored. If you were to add one more stage for each character/series, what would you add?
:ultbowser:Bowser's Castle
:ultdiddy:Krazy Kremland
:ultyounglink: Ganon's Castle (OoT)
:ultsamus: Biologic Space Laboratories (Fusion)
:ultyoshi: Yoshi's Crafted World
:ultkirby: City Trial
:ultfox: Sauria (Star Fox Adventures)
:ultmewtwo: Poké Floats (Melee)
:ultness: Devil's Machine
:ultfalcon: Mute City (Melee)
:ulticeclimbers: Icicle Mountain (Melee)
:ultcorrin: Valla (Fates)
:ultdarkpit: Medusa's Castle/Underworld
:ultwario: Wario's Castle (Wario Land II or Wario World)
:ultsnake: Jungle (MGS3)
:ultsonic: City Escape (Sonic Adventure 2)
:ultmegaman: Central Highway (Mega Man X)
:ultpacman: Pac-Maze (3DS)
:ultshulk: Mor Ardain Wastes (Xenoblade Chronicles 2)
:ultryu: English Manor/Cammy Stage (Super Street Fighter II/Street Fighter V)
:ultcloud: Planet's Core (Final Fantasy VII/Dissidia Final Fantasy)
:ultbayonetta: New York City/Bayonetta 2 Opening Stage
:ultinkling: DJ Octavio Arena (Splatoon)
:ultrichter: Upside Down Castle (Symphony of the Night)

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I was wondering why the comic earlier was randomly Maya singing the theme song. I thought it was just an artist choice. LOL.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Here's a fun game because I'm bored. If you were to add one more stage for each character/series, what would you add?)
:ultmario:: Bowser World (castle is cool, but not neon enough) :colorful:
:ultdk:: Homecoming Hijinx (Gangplank Galleon would be neat but we already have a few ships - also TF needs <3)
:ultlink:: Clock Town
:ultsamus:: Frigate Orpheon, but on the outside.
:ultyoshi:: Yoshi's Island. Get it?
:ultkirby:: Yeah City Trial
:ultfox:: Sauria, **** you
:ultpikachu:: Tin Tower. Or Bell Tower. I forget which is which.
:ultness:: Moonside (fourside is cool, but not neon enough)
:ultfalcon:: Mute City GX (mute city is cool, but... you get the point)
:ultmarth:: Dragons' Gate, with dragons
:ultpit:: the town where all that **** goes down
:ultwario:: Rice Beach or anywhere from Wario Land
:ultolimar:
: idk I don't play this series enough
:ultrob:: for the love of god, Gyromite. It even has moving pillars and everything, how is it not a stage yet.

LOOK IT WORKS SO WELL
:ultvillager:: Club LOL would be lol. But only when it's going off. \m/
:ultlittlemac:: The NYC skyline? I guess?
:ultshulk:: This series doesn't have any other usable locations
:ultinkling:: Inkopolis. But only when it's going off. Otherwise it's not neon enough.
:ultsnake:: MOTHER BASE
:ultsonic:: Studiopolis, for neon related reasoning.
:ultmegaman:: Central Highway
:ultpacman:: Just bring Pac-Maze back
:ultryu:: Shadalooooo base
:ultcloud:: Yeah right like this will get anything else
:ultbayonetta:: Idk how this series works
:ultsimon:: A village where everyone has to regularly stop for a few moments so we can be notified that night has turned to day and vice versa

:colorful:

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Am I the only one who watches this Incineroar footage and is like "the more I see of this character, the less impressed I am"? Like he doesn't look just obviously garbage, but I'm just... underwhelmed. I see an immobile character with middling at best attack speed and a lot of attacking animations that are just kinda stubby relative to his total size. His side-B looks great and his throws look really good, but I don't really see obvious set-ups for grab between his poor mobility and his kit of normals. His recovery looks just horrible as well, his neutral-B's high priority looks super risky in practice because it looks super laggy, and let's just say I don't believe in the value of that counter at all (you have to actually land a counter which is itself really hard to do against a skilled opponent and then you have to connect with your next attack to get any value... yeah, not going to happen often). It just feels really likely this character will do great against the strategy of "be scared and block/roll a lot" since his grab stuff is so good but will get steamrolled by strategies that are actually aggressive (which could just be aggressively filling the screen with projectiles and moving around a lot; let's go Toon Link) since he'll just lose neutral more often than not, won't get large rewards from landing stray hits, will be stuck in disadvantaged positions constantly due to his terrible mobility, and will die early consistently due to his awful recovery.

Please someone sell me. How is this character not a collection of mostly being bad with just a few good things that have no real chance to be "enough" to keep up with truly strong characters? We're at day-10 or whatever so obviously there's the uncertainty factor of "maybe there's just stuff going on we can't anticipate that saves this character who looks just plain bad now", but for almost literally every other character I can construct a theory of how they could be good but the best I can do for Incineroar is "well maybe I just don't get it" and "well if I'm right I'm going to really enjoy fighting against him". It's not a good feeling to look at footage of a newcomer and feel this way...

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
My thing about Incineroar is I don't even understand WHY he's so slow.

''Professional" ''Wrestling" isn't exactly known for being a slow sport. They're not moving slow when they're in the ring. It's a very nimble, fast and even at times agle sport.

Even the big lugs like Undertaker and Lesnar and what not aren't like.....slow.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Am I the only one who watches this Incineroar footage and is like "the more I see of this character, the less impressed I am"? Like he doesn't look just obviously garbage, but I'm just... underwhelmed. I see an immobile character with middling at best attack speed and a lot of attacking animations that are just kinda stubby relative to his total size. His side-B looks great and his throws look really good, but I don't really see obvious set-ups for grab between his poor mobility and his kit of normals. His recovery looks just horrible as well, his neutral-B's high priority looks super risky in practice because it looks super laggy, and let's just say I don't believe in the value of that counter at all (you have to actually land a counter which is itself really hard to do against a skilled opponent and then you have to connect with your next attack to get any value... yeah, not going to happen often). It just feels really likely this character will do great against the strategy of "be scared and block/roll a lot" since his grab stuff is so good but will get steamrolled by strategies that are actually aggressive (which could just be aggressively filling the screen with projectiles and moving around a lot; let's go Toon Link) since he'll just lose neutral more often than not, won't get large rewards from landing stray hits, will be stuck in disadvantaged positions constantly due to his terrible mobility, and will die early consistently due to his awful recovery.

Please someone sell me. How is this character not a collection of mostly being bad with just a few good things that have no real chance to be "enough" to keep up with truly strong characters? We're at day-10 or whatever so obviously there's the uncertainty factor of "maybe there's just stuff going on we can't anticipate that saves this character who looks just plain bad now", but for almost literally every other character I can construct a theory of how they could be good but the best I can do for Incineroar is "well maybe I just don't get it" and "well if I'm right I'm going to really enjoy fighting against him". It's not a good feeling to look at footage of a newcomer and feel this way...
Yeah, Incineroar looks pretty damn bad right now. No approach options whatsoever (maybe Alolan Whip but not much), has pretty bad range from what we've seen and has seemingly craptastic mobility (at least Ganondorf has decent burst mobility with Wizard's Foot and Flame Choke) all of which makes him incredibly easy to zone out and keep away (I think swordfighters are gonna eat him alive at least in theory, especially the Link's). Coupled with a pretty terrible recovery and you have a character with a really bad disadvantage state that can barely do anything once in it.

Hopefully he at least gets a mobility buff because right now, he's not looking too good at all.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Nope. There are specific characters that unlock other characters.
And there's a set order in VS. mode.

That someone would be yours truly.
But yeah the image was last updated on Sunday (I think), so it wasn't completely up to date.
It was kind of weird seeing Yoshi not unlock anyone, so there were definitely missing pieces.
Unfortunately, a lot of the streams where the info was are gone now, so it's difficult to find the missing pieces.
I gotta say, kudos to you for putting all of those pieces together! It's a great thing to see that many characters being able to have a way to be unlocked and all
Survivor Series sucked, and much more importantly...Stan Lee and Stephen Hillenburg both passed away this month...this November was definitely not as great as you're making it to be

You don’t have to have someone’s LGBTQ+ ways mentioned to know how they roll (the likes of Steven Universe, Star vs TFOE, and Loud House are examples of such ways)

Where the **** is :ultpit:?

:ultpit: > Everyone Else
Please don't rain on my November paradise

**** I forgot him and Dedede. But I managed to get a few new information about it after looking at the list again

So Pokemon Trainer is able to unlock 3 characters: Rosalina, King Dedede, and Sheik. Dedede can also unlock Sheik as well. And there's a possibility that Peach can unlock Wolf.

So this leaves :ultbowser::ultcorrin::ultmarth::ultmetaknight::ultmewtwo::ultpit::ultvillager::ultzelda: left to discover where they would be unlockable at

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I have to say, I've never seen an Incenaroar do a proper Alolan Whip outside of trailers. Has anyone figured out the timing on the Clothesline yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom