• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Over 1,000 pages behind as of today though I doubt I've missed much. Probably just talk of the 5 dlc characters ad nauseam . And here I thought this place would slow down with the base roster confirmed. Only a few more days till release and then this place will surely slow down since people will be busy playing. Won't read here as much once the competitive thread is made.

Saw discussion today of people talking about the 'personalities' each Smash game had and how Sm4sh didn't have one and how inferior it feels with Ultimate being a thing. And then of course people commenting on how that's just what happens when a new Smash game comes out, people downplay how good the previous entry was since the new one always has new stuff. Not disagreeing with that mind you.

Quite refreshing to see honestly since I've considered Sm4sh to be the worst entry in the series since release. Has an engine clearly ripped straight from Brawl, did more taking away than adding in terms of movesets, the obvious lack of modes although I hold the guilty pleasure of enjoying Sm4sh's Classic mode purely because it was different every time unlike Brawl's and 64's. The unnecessary removal of the Ice Climbers (who I personally never even played), the largest batch of newcomers added purely for advertisement purposes :4bayonetta::4corrin::4greninja::4lucina::4robinm:, lackluster new stages, people talking about how great the balance is when there has always been a very clear set of characters above the rest and a very clear set of characters worst than the rest (S and A tier for the former and the bottom 10 that make up Low and Bottom tier for the latter). Will admit the balance is still good seeing as how a mid tier like Link was able to get 3rd at Civil War but people praise the balance too much imo. 58 characters and yet I only comfortably enjoy 2 (:4falco::4feroy:) meanwhile in 64 where there's only 12, I also like 2 :falcon64::fox64:, Melee has 26 of which I consistently enjoy about 7 of (:falcomelee::linkmelee::ganondorfmelee::younglinkmelee::sheikmelee::pichumelee::kirbymelee:) and Brawl having 39 of which nowadays I enjoy somewhere between 3 and 10 of (:wolf::pikachu2::fox::kirby2::zerosuitsamus::sheilda::pt:). The gameplay is still slow like Brawl but with fewer good moves and super cookie cutter combos like from :4bowser::4dk::4myfriends::4mario::4ness: and the edgeguarding is the absolute worst in the series with magnet hands, floaty fall speeds, good air speeds and recoveries with good hitboxes, speed, distance and intangibility, close borders and the damn spammy air dodge. Ledge trumping also lends to awful edgeguarding but it's not an inherently flawed mechanic, you just shouldn't be able to buffer any options if you do get trumped..

All of this ranting on Sm4sh over, I'll finish on a positive note by saying I'm looking forward to Ultimate with the changes to air dodges, dodge spam in general, being able to cancel dash into anything, fewer cookie cutter combos, more characters to hopefully enjoy, more stages to definitely enjoy and hopefully better patches.

Come on guys, Bartz.
Or Terra
Or hell, even Cecil Harvey
Or ****, give me even the ONION KNIGHT.
Or best of all, how about Ramza Beoulve?
There's way more interesting **** in FF beyond just 7. For the love of God, not another FF7 character.
Get outta here with all these lame *** good guys
Yo everybody seems to forget the king of sassiness, master of deception, KEFKA PALAZZO!
Why bother about moveset potential when you can have that much taunt potential? :p

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
hehe capcom Based season pass:

Morrigan
Monster Hunter
Amateratsu
Phoenix Wright
Dante / Chun Li / uhhh the more interesting Re character i guess?

Squenix season pass:

Terra
Agnes Obligue / 2B
Geno
Slime
Lara Croft

Konami Season pass:
Alucard
Soma Cruz
Shanoa
Sypha Belnades with Trevor echo
Bomberman
(100% not biased)

Sega Based:
Tails with Shadow echo.
Valkyre Chronicle Character
Joker
Arle Nadja
Yakuza character

This would be pretty cool actually XD

Flyboy

Smash Hero

Morrigan
Monster Hunter
Amateratsu
Phoenix Wright

Squenix season pass:

Terra
Agnes Obligue / 2B
Geno
Slime
Lara Croft

Konami Season pass:
Alucard
Soma Cruz
Shanoa
Bomberman
(100% not biased)

Sega Based:
Tails with Shadow echo.
Joker
Arle Nadja
Yakuza character

I'd pay for them all.

MischF

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TrueMischF
...I don't think I understand? Erdrick is referring to the DQ3 MC yes...how does this hurt his chances?
My point about the argument being weird is because hearing Erdrick doesn't technically refer to DQ3 MC specifically. It could essentially be a codename that's moving around and since multiple characters have been giving the title it would be a good way of concealing the true character (I think Hitagi even mentioned something similar about them being basically the same character. I don't have the source though and I think it's just personal bias like my own). This is working under the assumption that they are working hard to keep leaks under wraps.

Personally, I'm game for anything on this list. I love SMRPG and Crono Trigger. I also have put like 150 hours into DQ games in the past couple of weeks. Either way this list is an amazing turnout for me.

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
If I had to be a betting man I'd still put all my odds on Geno being the Square Rep. Honestly, Sakurai said that he was in charge of the approval of the Nintendo chosen characters so if they even so much had mentioned Geno at any point I think Sakurai would've jumped on it. Aside from that Geno is a very highly requested character so starting off the pass that way would make a lot of sense. IF it isn't Geno though, I think it's Lara. Nintendo realizes how much of a score Lara would be. She's known worldwide for both the Tomb Raider games and movies.
This is very unlike Nintendo. I would say it gives more credence to Banjo, honestly. Like, yeah, this isn't confirmation or anything but it's not like Nintendo to just randomly, mistakenly, take something down. Nintendo is always pretty careful with Copyright Claiming stuff on YouTube. After the appearance of Jet Force Gemini of all things in the code I'm willing to bet that Microsoft Discussions are ongoing to the point of preparation. If all is said and done and only Jet Force Gemini code is left in the game without any sign of anything else from Microsoft or Rare I will be incredibly surprised. I've always thought that Banjo was being underrated by the community as a character that "doesn't matter anymore" and while that may be true for Microsoft, Banjo was always a big name for Nintendo. He was considered to be one of the Company's many mascots in the 64 days. So, it's insane to me that people put him down as a character that doesn't matter and never did. To Nintendo he was an asset. A real powerhouse.

The Rare buy out always stresses me out to talk about but I feel the need to say that if Nintendo had the choice they probably would've bought Rare. However, the N64 was considered a failure and they went headfirst into an incredibly disappointing 2001 Console Launch. Blame it on 9/11, blame it on the Stamper's greed, blame it on Nintendo, whatever. Bottom line is if the Nintendo 64 had been as much of a success as the Playstation and the Gamecube would've launched better then we would still have Rare in the Nintendo family and Banjo would still be a damn big deal. Microsoft had the money to take a risk on Rare and Nintendo didn't at the time. And that sucks but it is what it is.

I hate to say it right now but he's right you know. See, He make good points regarding nintendo's takedown of banjo fan remixes. It seems like that it was done on mistake, and they could left it alone while deleting leaked remixes in that channel but I'm suspicious about why that video got taken down by them.

Two bets are that, they thought that it was one of official remixes that got leaked or it was done accidentally.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Get outta here with all these lame *** good guys
Don't diss the hero who actually has the gall to throw a frickin' rock at world destroyers and eldritch abominations. Heck, don't diss the hero who can actually kill a world destroyer or eldritch abomination with a frickin' rock.
IMO There should have been a season pass based solely on Square Characters ;but no Square-Enix aren't nearly as liberal as Capcom is when it comes to Smash. UGHHHHHHH
I'm pretty sure that Capcom would be more than willing to hand out characters on a silver platter if they were asked. Maybe not so much the more unknown characters, but for the really known ones, I can hardly see them saying no at all if asked.

D

Deleted member

Morrigan
Monster Hunter
Amateratsu
Phoenix Wright

Squenix season pass:

Terra
Agnes Obligue / 2B
Geno
Slime
Lara Croft

Konami Season pass:
Alucard
Soma Cruz
Shanoa
Bomberman
(100% not biased)

Sega Based:
Tails with Shadow echo.
Joker
Arle Nadja
Yakuza character

This doesn't even have Crono but I'd be 100% okay with you making our DLC roster.
Valkyria Chronicles, Chun-Li, Phoenix and the CV3 gang sold me over.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Try again fam
https://smashboards.com/threads/sma...ntial-spoilers.434391/page-8565#post-22767956
You replied to this, which is related to Minecraft. Therefore it is relevant to the post I quoted.
Jacob, the sassiness isn't working. I think I know what I was discussing more than you do.

"Not trying to be rude but...do your research with this.
It's gone far beyond Verge. Even insiders in this very thread know of it. "

Let's dismantle this.
The implication I was responding to was that the Squenix list was riding on Verge's credibility.
My entire post was dedicated to saying otherwise.
It did not even address the mere mention of Minecraft, which was only given a passing mention in the post I quoted-which isn't even the post YOU quoted.

Again, the sassiness doesn't suit you, take it down a notch. BTW, great pixel work in your sig.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Ah, man I really want Geno playable, but I also really want to listen to One Winged Angel on a FF stage

Calane

Smash Ace
You know, now that we know who the possible SE reps are, wouldn't finding out what rumor "ruffled SE's feathers" be the best way to discern which character it is? The "ruffled feather" rumor is still a thing, right?

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
Myth: Leakers know anything about DLC which probably only started official development a week or two ago since the game went gold.

Fact: KOS-MOS is the sleeper Bandai Namco rep that Nintendo could likely pick because of her recent popularity and affiliation with their first party studio Monolith Soft and game XC2. She is known for being thrown into many crossovers with Bandai Namco involved.

Indeed, she has the chances now.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
You know, now that we know who the possible SE reps are, wouldn't finding out what rumor "ruffled SE's feathers" be the best way to discern which character it is? The "ruffled feather" rumor is still a thing, right?
Nah that thing's dead lol
Even if it wasn't it's probably the mere fact that the existence of a Squenix rep was spoiled

Good night people , love you all
Take care of yourself Graiz we love you too

Last edited:

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
Not surprising there, turned out that MTP admitted to create the grinch leak

Found on random stream that prob got reported by him

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Ah, if it's based on /leaks/ I probably won't intrude.
Thought you meant it was a personal opinion argument, and thought if it even swayed YOU to Geno...
I cannot say more because this is information that has not been disclosed yet, but like I said I recommend you speaking to the fore-mentioned person. And making your own opinion based off that information. Im still not sold on Geno though, but I do admit he is a possibility :).

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Morrigan
Monster Hunter
Amateratsu
Phoenix Wright

Squenix season pass:

Terra
Agnes Obligue / 2B
Geno
Slime
Lara Croft

Konami Season pass:
Alucard
Soma Cruz
Shanoa
Bomberman
(100% not biased)

Sega Based:
Tails with Shadow echo.
Joker
Arle Nadja
Yakuza character

>Joker
>Not Demi-fiend
very mad.jpg

C'mon Svart.
Why must you do this to me?

Teeb147

Smash Legend

Morrigan
Monster Hunter
Amateratsu
Phoenix Wright

Squenix season pass:

Terra
Agnes Obligue / 2B
Geno
Slime
Lara Croft

Konami Season pass:
Alucard
Soma Cruz
Shanoa
Bomberman
(100% not biased)

Sega Based:
Tails with Shadow echo.
Joker
Arle Nadja
Yakuza character

*Terra*
10/10

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Out of curiosity if Sephiroth is in. What version of One Winged Angel will they use? My personal favorite is the Advent Children version as that electric guitar part is amazing.

The Regular Version

The Advent Children Version

Last edited:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Out of curiosity if Sephiroth is in. What version of One Winged Angel will they use? My personal favorite is the Advent Children version as that electric guitar part is amazing.

The Regular Version

The Advent Children Version
It's gotta be the OG. Or plot twist, both, but those are the only 2 tracks for the stage :bobomb:

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Was there some kind of coding thing in the game that suggested more than 5 DLC characters? I've been seeing something like that thrown around a lot recently.

Edit: I guess I mean 6 since I forgot about :ultpiranha:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom