• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Out of curiosity how likely is it that we will find out the first DLC at The Game Awards? I know Spawn Wave has spoken of the possibility if im not mistaken. So is it possible we will know the second SE rep in just a few more days?
I bet we're gonna get MP4 gameplay and news, and this thread is gonna writhe in agony for a few more months.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Come on guys, Bartz.
Or Terra
Or hell, even Cecil Harvey
Or ****, give me even the ONION KNIGHT.
Or best of all, how about Ramza Beoulve?
There's way more interesting **** in FF beyond just 7. For the love of God, not another FF7 character.
Get outta here with all these lame ass good guys

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
News with Sakurai and Ultimate:

Ooh, an official countdown. Sweet!

Edit: The countdown has been started in Japan! Great Gif!

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Come on guys, Bartz.
Or Terra
There's way more interesting **** in FF beyond just 7. For the love of God, not another FF7 character.
I'm a stupid Sephiroth fan but like also I'd kill for Marche or Terra or Vivi or Ashe Dalmasca or squall sue me I love ff8

NabiscoFelt

Smash Journeyman
Alright so in regards to the SE character possibilities:

Sephiroth: I mean, there's nothing saying he can't get in. Two uniques from the same third party game would be weird, but Sephiroth is kinda iconic enough that he could get in on his own merits. He'd be interesting too, there's moveset potential there

Chrono: A legacy pick, feels kinda unlikely considering how dead the series is. Haven't played his game, but I'm sure he has good potential.

Slime: What.
And judging by that reaction, he's probably it. No idea what kinda moveset it could have

Geno: Feels unlikely, even more so than Chrono actually. He's too obscure to be a Nintendo pick, I think his only chance was because Sakurai is known to like him. Moveset potential is solid though.

DQ Protag: Still think this is most likely. Moveset might be generic, but at least there's potential, unlike Slime

KMDP

Smash Legend
Out of the list Sephiroth would be my favorite.

I’ve yet to finish FFVII but I know this:
- Sephiroth is a cool dude
- Sephiroth has a cool sword
- Since every character will come with at least two music tracks, Sephiroth with at the very least bring One-Winged Angel in, maybe with JENOVA as the second song. Even if they’re not remixes I won’t care.

I don’t think he’s likely though. Square’s been really stingy without FFVII rights especially in this game, and we know the music rights alone are expensive since they have to be from Uematsu directly.

Given the possible promotion for DQ11, along with the fact Verge heard 3 DQ characters (almost making it the only series he’s heard multiple characters for), I think it’ll be a DQ Rep. My money’s always been on Slime.
Sephiroth gets in and ends up being far more borked than Cloud ever was.

I ****ing swear, if I have to deal with this because it was a bunch of people's first JRPG, I'll be personally blaming all of you for this mess.
Sephiroth's sword tends to be hugely exaggerated in cutscenes, in actual gameplay in Dissidia it's only about as long as he is tall (which would make his range no worse than Simon/Richter). Not to mention that most of his slashes are surprisingly shallow (as a result of him swinging it like an actual Katana).

Calane

Smash Ace
All I want is a DQ character (mostly Erdrick, but I wouldn't mind the Luminary at all). At this point, it feels so close and yet so far away. If Erdrick really is the rumored SE rep, then I will finally be at peace when it comes to Smash and will no longer actively push for any more characters. DQ is one of my favorite video game franchises of all time, and to think that they actually have a shot at appearing in Smash excites me to no end.

All I can do now is hope, but I don't want to set myself up for disappointment either.

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
News with Sakurai and Ultimate:
Ooh, an official countdown. Sweet!

oooo neato Mario Odyssey Japanese twitter just posted this too!

Last edited:

MischF

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TrueMischF
To be honest, with the news of Luminary being on the list. I have to imagine he is a lot more likely than I'd previously thought. He does hit a lot of checks for people. He's promotional since Dragon Quest XI S is slated for the Switch. And it would expose the non-Japanese audiences to more Dragon Quest since it's not quite popular in the west. He's relevant and, as far as I know, Dragon Quest XI has done really well

Also, I kind of feel like a humanoid character would beat slime in the situation I'm describing. A slime is going to generate less interested with audiences unfamiliar with the franchise.

This all hinges on whether or not Dragon Quest XI S is actually coming to the west though. I actually don't know if that's been confirmed yet. It's also probably a ways out from release since we don't have any info.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Hey im.. back... kinda XD
sephirot??
ugh... the only way im ok with sephirot is if he comes with tons of Final fantasy music, another super cool stage, and FFVII assists, spirits and costumes.

Otherwise.... if we are getting another stage with 2 songs ._. ugh...

Plus, sephirot could be a very cool boss, and if they make him a boss the can go bananas with it sword range and speed and don't break teh game.. i mean, cloud is already pulling it, and guys sword is like.. half of sephiroth.

would be a little bugged though because Terra, Cecil, Black mage, warrior of light, Chocobo, Gilgamesh and even Noctis would been better additions IMO.

Why we don't get Alucard instead and we let him have a cool sephirot spirit battle? everyone happy :D and alucard doesn't need to use a busted sword.

Suddenly Slime seems pretty likely XD.

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Can you guys imagine the reactions if there's no Square character? We gonna be waiting for the 5th DLC character to be revealed one of the 7(I shall dub them, the Forbidden 7... no, wait...) and then it's just straight up, I dunno, Sans Undertale or John Fortnite.
If it's Phoenix, then everything will be all Wright.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
To be honest, with the news of Luminary being on the list. I have to imagine he is a lot more likely than I'd previously thought. He does hit a lot of checks for people. He's promotional since Dragon Quest XI S is slated for the Switch. And it would expose the non-Japanese audiences to more Dragon Quest since it's not quite popular in the west. He's relevant and, as far as I know, Dragon Quest XI has done really well

Also, I kind of feel like a humanoid character would beat slime in the situation I'm describing. A slime is going to generate less interested with audiences unfamiliar with the franchise.

This all hinges on whether or not Dragon Quest XI S is actually coming to the west though. I actually don't know if that's been confirmed yet. It's also probably a ways out from release since we don't have any info.
DQ getting a rep hinges on Japan, which seems to admire Erdrick infinitely more than Luminary though.

Alright so in regards to the SE character possibilities:

Sephiroth: I mean, there's nothing saying he can't get in. Two uniques from the same third party game would be weird, but Sephiroth is kinda iconic enough that he could get in on his own merits. He'd be interesting too, there's moveset potential there

Chrono: A legacy pick, feels kinda unlikely considering how dead the series is. Haven't played his game, but I'm sure he has good potential.

Slime: What.
And judging by that reaction, he's probably it. No idea what kinda moveset it could have

Geno: Feels unlikely, even more so than Chrono actually. He's too obscure to be a Nintendo pick, I think his only chance was because Sakurai is known to like him. Moveset potential is solid though.

DQ Protag: Still think this is most likely. Moveset might be generic, but at least there's potential, unlike Slime
I mean he definitely isn't obscure to Nintendo at this point. He got a Mii Costume for a reason. The requests for him have been heard. Would they pick him? Another question, but there's no way they don't understand how requested he is.

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
Come on guys, Bartz.
Or Terra

IMO There should have been a season pass based solely on Square Characters ;but no Square-Enix aren't nearly as liberal as Capcom is when it comes to Smash. UGHHHHHHH

So much we could have. Imagine a season pass where Chrono, Edrick, Sephiroth [Insert any FF REP here], Sora, or Lara Croft were in.

I forgot Geno Kek

D

Deleted member

Ugh, I hate the fact this list is giving me some actual faint hope for Crono. I'd rather be where I was yesterday which was having long accepted the fact Chrono Trigger was long dead. But nope, now I have to deal with "only" a 6/7 that he'll never be in.
Still, if he does happen, ya'll gonna be able to hear some screams but don't worry, that'll be just me.

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
So with Sakurai mentioning that nintendo official accounts will be tweeting the countdown

there's 10 of them, and one of them is mario odyssey Japanese twitter account.

So is pokemon also one of those 10 twitter accounts? We must make this our small mission to find rest of 10 twitter accounts.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
oooo neato Mario Odyssey Japanese twitter just posted this too!
Wait a minute

We're ten (eleven) days from Ultimate?
How did I not realize this....

Flyboy

Smash Hero
It's gonna be the Dragon Quest Builders protagonist and the Minecraft content was a tragic misconception all along.

MischF

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TrueMischF
DQ getting a rep hinges on Japan, which seems to admire Erdrick infinitely more than Luminary though.
Yeah but this argument is a little weird. Because Erdrick is technically just a title. Although, it is used to refer the the DQ3 MC most I believe. Also, I was mostly basing this off being promotional since it seems to be one of the topics I see the most.

The MC is actually given the title of Erdrick in the true ending of DQ XI even. It's also speculated that he was the first to receive the title but it's not necessarily confirmed. Not that it's a point against your argument. Just interesting info.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
If I had to be a betting man I'd still put all my odds on Geno being the Square Rep. Honestly, Sakurai said that he was in charge of the approval of the Nintendo chosen characters so if they even so much had mentioned Geno at any point I think Sakurai would've jumped on it. Aside from that Geno is a very highly requested character so starting off the pass that way would make a lot of sense. IF it isn't Geno though, I think it's Lara. Nintendo realizes how much of a score Lara would be. She's known worldwide for both the Tomb Raider games and movies.
Uh...here’s some weird news...

https://twitter.com/werewafflesyrup/status/1067086282373902336?s=21

It’s most likely a mistake and means nothing buuuut......

Is it Guh happening?
This is very unlike Nintendo. I would say it gives more credence to Banjo, honestly. Like, yeah, this isn't confirmation or anything but it's not like Nintendo to just randomly, mistakenly, take something down. Nintendo is always pretty careful with Copyright Claiming stuff on YouTube. After the appearance of Jet Force Gemini of all things in the code I'm willing to bet that Microsoft Discussions are ongoing to the point of preparation. If all is said and done and only Jet Force Gemini code is left in the game without any sign of anything else from Microsoft or Rare I will be incredibly surprised. I've always thought that Banjo was being underrated by the community as a character that "doesn't matter anymore" and while that may be true for Microsoft, Banjo was always a big name for Nintendo. He was considered to be one of the Company's many mascots in the 64 days. So, it's insane to me that people put him down as a character that doesn't matter and never did. To Nintendo he was an asset. A real powerhouse.

The Rare buy out always stresses me out to talk about but I feel the need to say that if Nintendo had the choice they probably would've bought Rare. However, the N64 was considered a failure and they went headfirst into an incredibly disappointing 2001 Console Launch. Blame it on 9/11, blame it on the Stamper's greed, blame it on Nintendo, whatever. Bottom line is if the Nintendo 64 had been as much of a success as the Playstation and the Gamecube would've launched better then we would still have Rare in the Nintendo family and Banjo would still be a damn big deal. Microsoft had the money to take a risk on Rare and Nintendo didn't at the time. And that sucks but it is what it is.

Untouch

Smash Master
It's gonna be the Dragon Quest Builders protagonist and the Minecraft content was a tragic misconception all along.
I suggested that to Vergeben and he denied it, but if it does somehow end up true I'll laugh my ass off.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
After further speaking to PolarPanda PolarPanda I have to agree they make a strong case. And this is coming from someone who has done quite a bit of research on Square's business practices.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
the only way im ok with sephirot is if he comes with... another super cool stage
Just gonna leave this here, since it would probably be the stage Sephiroth would bring with him.

"Planet's Core" (said area) was the FF7 stage in Dissidia, so there's precedent for it.
that cant the be the actual size of that sword.
nope
I refuse to accept that is real
It isn't, Sephiroth's sword tends to get exaggerated in cutscenes.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Yeah but this argument is a little weird. Because Erdrick is technically just a title. Although, it is used to refer the the DQ3 MC most I believe. Also, I was mostly basing this off being promotional since it seems to be one of the topics I see the most.
...I don't think I understand? Erdrick is referring to the DQ3 MC yes...how does this hurt his chances?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Get outta here with all these lame *** good guys
You say that, but I don't see Sephiroth chucking pebbles he you.

Besides, if you want a villain, have I got a guy to sell you:
Vayne Carudas Solidor

The only villain in the entire goddamn franchise that just straight up punches you in the face.
He's also a politician, so I guess Final Fantasy's version of Senator Armstrong.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The one Square villain who should be added is definitely the Large Ancient Vagina Out of Space.
Or to shorten it: Lavos
make it playable, sakurai, you damn coward

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom