• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I'm genuinely upset at the lack of Gerudo Link. If there's a DLC alt that outfit needs to be first in line

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
Oh, discussing potential DLC alts?

Most importantly:

From there, I can really only offer my opinion on certain others:

Ganon/Link/Zelda/Sheik: their previous designs. TP Link especially.
FE characters: promotions. All the promotions. Marth has a myriad of good designs from other material to make "official", and Roy can be de-composited into his OG design and Awakening DLC outfits.
OOT Ganon is from Melee. It's just back again.

Ivander

Smash Legend

FelFlick

Smash Cadet
Can anyone please provide me with a link where I can see all the information confirmed so far from the leaked game in one place?

tylerfoxorwhatever

Smash Rookie
So this has probably been brought up before but with the whole base roster out, if they were to release DLC costumes for characters, what would you like to see realistically? (Basically model changes similar to legendary skins in Overwatch)

My vote for OoT and TP Link~
:ultmario:Sunshine outfit and shades or I'll riot
:ultwario:That fancy DIY suit
:ulttoonlink:Outset Island shirt maybe

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Honestly, I'm still kinda disappointed we didn't get an Alola stage.
I looked at that thread. Was Artsy Omni just a regular guy on here back then?

Splatoon 2 :ultinkling: and Dry :ultbowser: should happen.
Oh man, let me tell you a story.

Back in those days, he went by the name Hextupleyouudot, or something like that. We all called him Hex for short. I remember his avatar was a picture of Popo in the Paper Mario art style. Back in late 2011 he made a bit of a name for himself as an active and all-around nice poster, a highlight of the community.

But then late that year or in early 2012, he just up and disappeared, and people took notice. "I miss Hex" was said often enough for it to become a community meme. Back before social threads were a regular thing and groups were still around, the Community Hangout was established (this was prior to his departure). Every so often the group would purge inactive members to stop page clutter, but even after his departure, Hex was never removed from the group. The guy was just THAT well-liked.

So years go by, Smash 4 releases, and the occasional "Remember Hex?" Good-Old-Days posts are made. At this point those who were around for the pre-first trailer 2011 speculation scene were dwindling in number and activity, but some of the old guard still remained. Then in 2015, the Rayman leak happens. It looks great. Legit, even. Then of course, The Shrug Heard 'Round the World happened as the creator revealed it to be a hoax.

That was, until we found out that Artsy Omni and Hex were one and the same. If I remember correctly, he went onto Smashboards a bit later to explain some things and/or promote Smashified, and lo and behold, it was Hex's account.

And those who remembered Hex, myself included, were thrown for an absolute loop. This was the most mind boggling plot twist of all time. Had it been a plotline in a book or movie, I would have called it out as some Scooby-Doo-ass contrivance, but truth really is stranger than fiction.

Here was a guy who was well-liked in the fledgling Smash 4 speculation community, who disappeared a few months later, and left a lasting impression on those who remembered him. He then suddenly shows up four years later, revealing himself to be the mastermind behind what was the single most convincing fake leak in Smash 4's history.

That's also why I personally got really miffed when some folks were being toxic toward him during the Grinch fiasco. He was one of our own, dammit, and among the most genuinely nice posters ever. Plus he makes some great content.

SO YEAH, that's a bit of Smashboards Speculation history. It's also proof that I've been on this site for entirely too long. :p But hey, someone's gotta keep track of the site's L O R E.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Its weird people push him to the side a lot but I guess it CAN happen like with Darkstalkers I guess.
Alas, poor Demitri.

Then again, his fall was more so due to that one move being hard to render for in future crossover games as opposed to being kind of dull in comparison to the competition like Spring Man is.

Either way, Twintelle all the way!

D

Deleted member

Back in those days, he went by the name Hextupleyouudot, or something like that. We all called him Hex for short. I remember his avatar was a picture of Popo in the Paper Mario art style. Back in late 2011 he made a bit of a name for himself as an active and all-around nice poster, a highlight of the community.

But then late that year or in early 2012, he just up and disappeared, and people took notice. "I miss Hex" was said often enough for it to become a community meme. Back before social threads were a regular thing and groups were still around, the Community Hangout was established (this was prior to his departure). Every so often the group would purge inactive members to stop page clutter, but even after his departure, Hex was never removed from the group. The guy was just THAT well-liked.

So years go by, Smash 4 releases, and the occasional "Remember Hex?" Good-Old-Days posts are made. At this point those who were around for the pre-first trailer 2011 speculation scene were dwindling in number and activity, but some of the old guard still remained. Then in 2015, the Rayman leak happens. It looks great. Legit, even. Then of course, The Shrug Heard 'Round the World happened as the creator revealed it to be a hoax.

That was, until we found out that Artsy Omni and Hex were one and the same. If I remember correctly, he went onto Smashboards a bit later to explain some things and/or promote Smashified, and lo and behold, it was Hex's account.

And those who remembered Hex, myself included, were thrown for an absolute loop. This was the most mind boggling plot twist of all time. Had it been a plotline in a book or movie, I would have called it out as some Scooby-Doo-*** contrivance, but truth really is stranger than fiction.

Here was a guy who was well-liked in the fledgling Smash 4 speculation community, who disappeared a few months later, and left a lasting impression on those who remembered him. He then suddenly shows up four years later, revealing himself to be the mastermind behind what was the single most convincing fake leak in Smash 4's history.

That's also why I personally got really miffed when some folks were being toxic toward him during the Grinch fiasco. He was one of our own, dammit, and among the most genuinely nice posters ever. Plus he makes some great content.

SO YEAH, that's a bit of Smashboards Speculation history. It's also proof that I've been on this site for entirely too long. :p But hey, someone's gotta keep track of the site's L O R E.
smashboards anime recap episode when

osby

Smash Obsessed
It was mostly a spiritual crossover. No SMT characters and FE characters were only shown as weird Stands for original characters (except Tiki).

Gameplay was pretty much pure SMT and it was tonally very different from both series aside from a few themes.

osby

Smash Obsessed
But as Smash proves, they'd rather use Classic for third parties. (Mega Man, Pac man ]
Yeah, though Sonic has his modern design and there's :4bayonetta::4cloud2:. Plus, Snake and Ryu, I guess.

Last edited:

ChrisJamie

Smash Cadet
Does anyone know if high res costume renders have been published from the datamine? If so, could someone post a link to where I can find them, please? :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

And those who remembered Hex, myself included, were thrown for an absolute loop. This was the most mind boggling plot twist of all time. Had it been a plotline in a book or movie, I would have called it out as some Scooby-Doo-*** contrivance, but truth really is stranger than fiction.

Now that you mention it, someone really should chronicle all the major stuff that happened throughout this site’s history. Maybe that would be too hard though.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Alas, poor Demitri.

Then again, his fall was more so due to that one move being hard to render for in future crossover games as opposed to being kind of dull in comparison to the competition like Spring Man is.

Either way, Twintelle all the way!
Yeah, that was Demetri's main issue. They considered his Midnight Bliss important to him, considering in the fighting crossovers he was in always used it, like Capcom Jam and SNK Vs Capcom. So whenever it came to the big games like Marvel, they left him out because of his Midnight Bliss, as either they didn't want to deal with the hassle of making lots of different models or the other companies didn't like the idea of their characters getting genderswapped.
They could've added him in without Midnight Bliss like some of his non-fighter crossovers, but apparently Midnight Bliss too important to him to be cut out. So of course he's moved to the side in favor of the other Shota-like Darkstalkers character.

I still think if Darkstalkers is ever brought back, that all the playable characters should get a playable Midnight Bliss version as a fun joke.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Does anyone know if high res costume renders have been published from the datamine? If so, could someone post a link to where I can find them, please? :)
Latching on to this - have we also seen the stock icons for the alts not on the website? Namely the individual Pokémon?

Also, has it been confirmed if Spirits come with infoboxes about them?

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
Relevancy is a huge factor, and that's something I'm not budging on.

I'm glad your students were excited for characters they never heard of, but it should go without saying that not everyone will react to unfamiliar characters the same way. Instead of happily researching a character, many people will be genuinely bitter that a complete nobody got in instead of someone they already know. That's why Sakurai tends to pick iconic third-parties and characters from more recent games. His goal should be to create characters who are both unique and known by a lot of people, but that's a little hard to do that if you put a bigger emphasis on the moveset rather than the character itself. Yes, there are some exceptions (Shulk, Bayo, Richter), but those characters are limited and easily outnumbered by the rest of the roster.

Take Katalina for example. She has a lot of potential, and while she could learn to be appreciated over time, do you think a majority of people would be more excited for her than they would with a Gen VIII Pokemon? With an iconic Zelda character? With someone who the entire Smash fanbase has been begging for since Brawl?
I agree, but also respectfully disagree. I think you can have both characters who some do not know, and some everyone knows.

You got to please both sides. For example, I absolutley did not like the idea of Rex an Pyra being in smash, but i’m Aware a lot of people know who they are. I was upset for the people who did not get them. I got my 2 most wanted, but then again, I’ve been waiting since melee. At this point, I’m sure people didn’t know who K. Rool was but I’m sure it peaked interest.

Smash 4 added in Little Mac, who had a wii game but very much was a NES product. Yet he got in smash 4 with Greninja, a character whom I hated as I did not care for new Pokémon. Yet I ended up buying Pokémon as he character peaked my interest...through some dislike towards him lol.

Again, that’s not to say picking random characters is always good. I think, if the history is good and the ideas behind it are well, then come on in. But if it’s like, let’s say, Gumshoe from Gumshoe on NES vs Duck Hunt then we’d go with Duck Hunt because the history. The duo may not have been known, aside from memes, he still has a better history.

beans

Smash Lord
I wouldn't call him a Persona. That Chrom represents Itsuki's libido, not his persona.
Itsuki has some really weird preferences them.
Does the big arm blade represent Itsuki's preference on size.
size of the bad dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom