• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
The best part about Erdrick getting in is going to be the initial wave of "GOKU/GOHAN?!" from the reaction videos.

The minute people see the black, spiky hair and Toriyama face, that's instantly where their mind is going to go.
2018-11-25.png

Nah but seriously, I also think Crono is more likely than some people give him credit for. Like I said on the previous page, Square Enix doesn't seem to be as liberal as using Smash for the purposes of marketign opportunities as other companies, so they may be fine with Sakurai asking for a less "relevant" character. If Sakurai happens to like Chrono Trigger a decent amount, I think he has a shot. Maybe not a huge one, but a shot.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I hope the wait for the first DLC character isn't too long. Assuming the Square Enix character is the first one, I just want to hurry up and know who it ends up being already.

Geez, the suspense! My poor soul~
I honestly do think we're going to get the first DLC by Feb, and if not then, then very shortly after.

I can't imagine they're going to open the DLC store for Ultimate with 'JUST' Piranha Plant and a Fighter Pass with 0 revealed characters as of the time.

Last edited:

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
Again, rhetorical. I'm pointing some of the wrongs that went for her inclusion. I didn't doubt she might've been top in europe. You jumped in with mockery saying she was included for a game that was stale for 2 years. You didn't take into account that part of those 2 years was a ballot that players invested their time and emotions with, just to be face with a lie and a forced ad. Not Global, not true winner. I don't appreciate that.
The "True winner" was probably waaaaaay stupider than Bayonetta, knowing the internet. I'd rather have her than Shrek or Goku.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
A-ha, you say this, but you also need to consider 2B coinciding with NieR: Automata getting a port on the Switch. In which case, it's still very slim yet still possible. By those conditions, I am curious at how we can judge her regarding her game's music composer.
Well yes, then it'd be more plausible, but I'm not accounting for hypothetical scenarios. Which to my knowledge, this is.

It's really only the "face" due to being a cute and memorable monster. They are not that important to the main series itself, which is why I feel it'd be better represented with Erdrick, the series' most popular protagonist.
It's the face because Square Enix markets it that way.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I honestly do think we're going to get the first DLC by Feb, and if not then, then very shortly after.

I can't imagine they're going to open the DLC store for Ultimate with 'JUST' Piranha Plant and a Fighter Pass with 0 revealed characters as of the time. Even Mewtwo had a retro stage alongside him avail iirc?
Mewtwo released by itself and the only other DLC we knew was coming at the time was Lucas.

Last edited:

CrimsonVallier

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KipVallier
3DS FC
3866-8291-8606
What I find interesting is that there are bosses for giga bowser and Ganon but not for petey pirahna?
Like why make the model for it look like a one for one copy of his brawl version for pirahna plants FS?

Last edited by a moderator:

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
I do think Neku would be the easier character, but unfortunately he is not the more popular character. He still has a chance thats a for sure, so don't give up hope. It also helps his game is already on the Nintendo Switch. That being said a lot of this depends on will Square want to push for him. They did do it in KH Dream Drop Distance, but unfortunately he will not appear in KH3. Im just not sure if Square will want to push a character who is not a part of their bigger franchises. I would be ok with him being in though, as he would bring some interesting move sets.
I say this because as you say, Square is stingy. So Neku fits that cheapness perfectly. Plus, due to their recent losess, I think they need all their games selling exceptionally well. From all their console recent, I think TWEWY is the lowest on that chart. Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy are bigger than Smash. So maybe they don't need that advertisement bit as TWEWY. Just a guess.
Nevertheless, I'm really thrilled to know who the Square rep is, and how that bodes with your knowledge :)
Here's that Calling song (I need to give this game a try soon). It gets my vote for sure. (ohh now I feel more how you felt about 2 pieces. Man this song needs to get in Smash, although songs are harder to get than music)

dream1ng

Smash Lord
What I find interesting is that there are bosses for giga bowser and Ganon but not for petey pirahna?
Like why make the model for it look like a one for one copy of his brawl version for pirahna plants FS?
C'mon man, spoilers.

StellerRJay

~Chocobo Lover~
Switch FC
4077-3863-9308

I can't imagine they're going to open the DLC store for Ultimate with 'JUST' Piranha Plant and a Fighter Pass with 0 revealed characters as of the time. Even Mewtwo had a retro stage alongside him avail iirc?
Yeah, I'm hoping the first DLC character releases as soon as February as well. I wonder if we'll learn who it is the day before the DLC is released, or far before then. Hmm...

Either way, I just want to knooooow! It's a real mystery who Square might choose to go with at this point~

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
Usually I get called a sexist pig for saying such a thing.

Now, to be blunt, I've never actually been in the position to PLAY the newer Tomb Raider games myself, but as someone who grew up with a PS1 and the original 2 Tomb Raider games, this Lara just seems.... I dunno, soo damn frail? OG Lara flipped around while throwing down with friggen wild cats and bears while dual wielding... I can't imagine this new Lara could do such a thing.

Yeah, there's a LOT of ignorance on my part here that I wholly admit, but from what I've seen, and how they advertised the first game in the series reboot, if left a weird taste in my mouth.
New Lara survived on an island overrun with deadly hostiles with no real training after getting punctured by lumbar. Too frail my butt. Old Lara wishes she was as hardcore as New Lara.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
You mean, "The only DLC character that we knew officially."
Well shortly after. The data leaks didn't happen until the update with Mewtwo was available to us.

Shroob

Sup?
New Lara survived on an island populated with deadly hostiles with no real training after getting punctured by lumbar. Too frail my butt.
I mean, I flat out said I've never gotten to play the games, my exposure to the new character is the general 'hopeless' design she has, and how the initial marketing for the first game played up to 11 how defenseless and frail she was.

Needless to say, it left a sour taste in my mouth compared to the OG version of the character.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
The "True winner" was probably waaaaaay stupider than Bayonetta, knowing the internet. I'd rather have her than Shrek or Goku.
The ballot specifically stated only game originated characters. Any anime/animation charcater would've been ommited regardless of their position in the ballot.

beans

Smash Lord
Its funny, the SE rep is hard to pin.
We have all of the FF pretty bois + Noctis, DQ characters, DQ monsters, Shounen Mickey, Pinnochio and Future Trunks.
Also to put my 2 cents on the DQ ring, it wont be slime. I believe it would be a poor representation of the series, even tough it is its mascot.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
New Lara survived on an island overrun with deadly hostiles with no real training after getting punctured by lumbar. Too frail my butt. Old Lara wishes she was as hardcore as New Lara.
Old Lara fought a T-Rex, lol.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Well yes, then it'd be more plausible, but I'm not accounting for hypothetical scenarios. Which to my knowledge, this is.
Alright, fair point. I'll give you that.

In other news, I have uncovered all of the DLC beyond the 5 from the Fighter's Pack we're getting. Be warned though, it contains classified information. View at your own risk, folks!

Smash Ultimate post DLC Kappa.png

kappa.png
kappa.png
kappa.png
kappa.png
kappa.png
kappa.png
kappa.png
kappa.png
kappa.png
kappa.png
kappa.png
kappa.png
kappa.png
kappa.png
kappa.png
kappa.png
kappa.png
kappa.png
kappa.png
kappa.png
kappa.png
kappa.png
kappa.png
kappa.png
kappa.png

Last edited:

Kawaki&Boruto98

Smash Apprentice
OMG MY FRIEND HAS SMASH BROS!! He downloaded it from a leak he has a hacked switch! Lucky him!!! I can contact him if u have questions

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Why do I get the feeling that the Rage Toggle is going to cause a spat in the comp scene, and only down to the fact that people are going to complain about having to turn it off in the first place?

Calane

Smash Ace
It's the face because Square Enix markets it that way.
I mean, yeah, I can't argue with that.

My basic point was that Dragon Quest isn't about Slime. They're just used as a mascot due to being a cute and memorable monster from the series. However, if someone were to try and accurately represent the franchise in a game like Smash, Slime just doesn't do it.

As I said, it'd serve its purpose just fine (if not better, actually) being DQ's symbol, or just appearing in their stage.

Shroob

Sup?
Sure. Doesn't necessarily make her a great character worth rooting for so much as a cipher. The new games have done great work making her both badass AND recognizably human, which the "OG" Tomb Raiders cared less about than seeing how big they could make her cup size.
Do people play Doom to see the deep, moral struggles of the Doom Marine ripping and tearing through hoards of demons, or do they play it to rip and tear?

You can make a character relatable and human, without alienating a huge portion of the prior game's and design's fanbase.

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
Do people play Doom to see the deep, moral struggles of the Doom Marine ripping and tearing through hoards of demons, or do they play it to rip and tear?

You can make a character relatable and human, without alienating a huge portion of the prior game's and design's fanbase.
The old Tomb Raiders are pioneers of 3D gaming, but maybe one of them actually holds up today. Doom doesn't have that problem. Lara herself is a genuine icon on the level of Mario and Sonic... Also a burden Doom doesn't have to carry. Tomb Raider and Lara Croft needed to evolve and reinvent themselves in a way Doom really didn't, and they nailed it. It's not an accurate comparison.

D

Deleted member

I play Doom to be treaten seriously online, and not like trash.

I prefer the Metroid Prime trilogy a lot more.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

It doesn't sound like you can because the games try to show a character coming to grips with having to kill people but you seem annoyed that she isn't born capable of killing without caring. Maybe she could be less frail but I'm not sure it's necessarily that easy a solution.

Not that I really care because the actual gameplay kind of betrays the story. But we also had a Tomb Raider where framed for murder, Lara ends up killing many people to prove her innocence so gameplay-story dissonance is a recurring issue.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
The old Tomb Raiders are pioneers of 3D gaming, but maybe one of them actually holds up today. Doom doesn't have that problem. Lara herself is a genuine icon on the level of Mario and Sonic... Also a burden Doom doesn't have to carry. Tomb Raider and Lara Croft needed to evolve and reinvent themselves in a way Doom really didn't, and they nailed it. It's not an accurate comparison.
As some who's never played the game, but loves character studies, my issue comes with how they introduced and played up new Lara.

TombRaider2013.jpg

What does this girl tell you off her body language and appearance?

She's holding her arm, which looks wounded, but also a sign of feeling isolated or alone. She's dirty, like she hasn't showered in a week, and all the color is just gone, leaving the image drab and dull. Her head isn't high, meaning a lack of confidence, and she's facing away from the camera.

Old Lara is looking right at the screen pointing her guns(The weapons, not her polygon tiddies), at you with teeth clenched and pissed the **** off.

My issue with the new character is she just LOOKS like she'll piss herself if you as so much tap her shoulder. This isn't a good first impression on a 'strong' female lead, you're telling me this character is 'weak'.

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
As some who's never played the game, but loves character studies, my issue comes with how they introduced and played up new Lara.

View attachment 179680

She's holding her arm, which looks wounded, but also a sign of feeling isolated or alone. She's dirty, like she hasn't showered in a week, and all the color is just gone, leaving the image drab and dull. Her head isn't high, meaning a lack of confidence, and she's facing away from the camera.

Old Lara is looking right at the screen pointing her guns(The weapons, not her polygon tiddies), at you with teeth clenched and pissed the **** off.

My issue with the new character is she just LOOKS like she'll piss herself if you as so much tap her shoulder. This isn't a good first impression on a 'strong' female lead, you're telling me this character is 'weak'.
Maybe play the game then. I see an isolated, wounded woman with a damn bow slung over her shoulder and a look of resolve who probably just crawled her way out of a shipwreck. They weren't trying to make Lester the Unlikely, and I suspect you know that.

Old Lara is kind of boring and one dimensional. New Lara is dynamic, relatable, and just as rad and capable as the PS1 version. Sorry she doesn't backflip over dinosaurs anymore.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces

Ooh, this brings up another interesting point of speculation that I've wanted to talk about: the DLC release timeline.

So we know that Piranha Plant is coming out at the latest on February 15th because that's when his amiibo comes out, and the remaining 5 DLC characters will be released by the end of February 2020, so that would mean that we should be getting 1 character approximately every 10 weeks after the release of Piranha Plant, right? Well... not necessarily. Let's take a second to look at the character DLC timeline for Smash 4:
  • September 2014:
    • 13th: Japanese release of Smash for 3DS
  • October 2014:
    • 3rd/4th: Western release of Smash for 3DS
    • 23rd: Announcement of Mewtwo
  • November 2014:
    • 21st: American release of Smash for Wii U
    • 28th/29th: European release of Smash for Wii U
  • December 2014:
    • 6th: Japanese release of Smash for Wii U
  • January 2015: (Nothing happens)
  • February 2015: (Nothing happens)
  • March 2015: (Nothing happens)
  • April 2015:
    • 1st: Announcement of Lucas
    • 15th: Early Club Nintendo release of Mewtwo
    • 28th: Full release of Mewtwo for purchase
  • May 2015: (Nothing happens)
  • June 2015:
    • 14th: Announcement and release of Roy and Ryu AND release of Lucas
  • July 2015: (Nothing happens)
  • August 2015: (Nothing happens)
  • September 2015: (Nothing happens)
  • October 2015: (Nothing happens)
  • November 2015:
    • 12th: Announcement of Cloud
  • December 2015:
    • 15th: Announcement of Corrin and Bayonetta AND release of Cloud
  • January 2016: (Nothing happens)
  • February 2016:
    • 3rd: Release of Corrin and Bayonetta
So while DLC was technically announced prior to the release of the Wii U version of the game, the development process for that DLC was not a series of smooth releases; 3 of the 7 DLC characters all released simultaneously on one day, and another 2 released simultaneously on another. Mewtwo and Cloud were the only two characters who got dedicated release days. It's worth keeping all this in mind when talking about Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, as one might expect the first season pass DLC character to be released in late April or early May, but that may not exactly be true. For all we know, it could be earlier alongside Piranha Plant, (though I doubt it,) or later alongside the second season pass character. That said, they may adopt a different DLC development schedule this time around to accommodate for the fact that they already have the entire season pass planned out. I don't have any opinion on the matter right now, but I'm curious as to what everyone else thinks.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

View attachment 179680

Strength is more than just shooting things with angry edge factor.

There's strength in overcoming weaknesses and growing. It's what the latest trilogy has been trying to convey.
The CSS is organised perfectly so it must be true.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961

View attachment 179680

I mean, that's all intentional. My only issue with the reboot is the Smallville problem, where they start off with a prequel re-imaging of the character, with the intention of having them become the classic character we know, but then they just... don't.

Shroob

Sup?
Speaking of DLC, I'd like to turn the attention to our Reddit Boi:

Warning, strong language:

https://media.discordapp.net/attach...78661186797568/piranhaplantgametester-jpg.png

He claims that Piranha Plant was more or less done in September, but at the time it was the only DLC character being worked on.

Doesn't that kind of throw a wrench into the "Reveal at VGAs" notion? I can't imagine that they'd show off a 3rd Party character, especially one from Square, like how Mewtwo was shown off.

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
I mean, that's all intentional. My only issue with the reboot is the Smallville problem, where they start off with a prequel re-imaging of the character, with the intention of having them become the classic character we know, but then they just... don't.
I like that. It wasn't a prequel. They went in a whole direction that I think really worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom