• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
As a massive Kirby fan who's first title was Super Star Ultra, and with Marx being one of my favorite media characters ever, I am utterly enthralled to see Marx's boss fight. It does the showdown of Kirby Super Star and its remake proper justice with his moves and the like, but given a new, almost eldritch feel to them, along with new moves sprinkled in that further cement the borderline Lovecraftian theme they were seeming to be going for, especially the weird, messed up vine attack during his final moments. Even the boss entrance, while it isn't at all faithful to how Marx actually became a demonic monster, is still totally perfect and gives the character proper Smash boss treatment. There's also the little things like how he shivers and contorts slightly while idling, perfectly demonstrating his unhinged state. Honestly, this really does feel like what the original fight would have been like if Kirby Super Star released today. Being honest, I'm actually way more happy with this than him being playable would have made me. I think, while Marx is definitely fun to play as in Star Allies, his character can only truly be done justice as a boss. All in all, amazing boss, 11/10.

Chrono.

Also, has anyone found
Tabuu and Master Core?

It seems weird they have a profile icon and an entry as a boss?(Unsure about this), yet nothing on him soo far.
Everything seems to indicate they're not back.

Chrono.

Weird. They have profile icons and everything alongside the other confirmed bosses.
All the datamine really told us are bosses with unique arenas, so there could be more. But I'm not banking on that, especially with these rogue streams doing Classic Mode runs.

Jigglypuff fights giant DK, Bayonetta fights giant Palutena and Pikachu fights Mewtwo and then Master Hand.

Doesn't incite much hope for lots of unique bosses.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
All the datamine really told us are bosses with unique arenas, so there could be more. But I'm not banking on that, especially with these rogue streams doing Classic Mode runs.

Jigglypuff fights giant DK, Bayonetta fights giant Palutena and Pikachu fights Mewtwo and then Master Hand.

Doesn't incite much hope for lots of unique bosses.
Only so much Sakurai can do considering we have 70+ characters yo.

Last edited:

Chrono.

Only so much Sakurai can do considering we have 70+ characters yo.
It only annoys me from a consistency standpoint.

Some characters get a legit final boss while others just get a regular fight against a bigger version of a regular character.

Just reuse Master Hand if they needed to pad it out.

Eru13

Smash Apprentice
A russian nintendo employee leaked that. as an act of revenge from their boss. I'm not kidding
Stop pushing this "leak", it's as fake as it can get...

On the subject of character unlocks

from what I've seen, it seems they aren't random in classic mode, but when you've already unlocked the first character, it'll just shift priorities to the next one

for example, Mario unlocks Sonic, then Bayo
K Rool unlocks Ice Climbers and Simon, not sure what the order is

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
I'm banking on Slime, but hoping for Sora, even if he isn't really Square Enix.
I would be really annoyed with Square if its Slime. If nothing else it should at least be Erdrcik
. Also I really doubt its Slime, that character also does not fit Square's patterns. Their guest characters are usually the protagonist of the series, such as Noctis and 2B. The rare exception to this rule is Behemoth in Monster Hunter World, and this is most likely due to the fact that Behemoth fit more in Monster Hunter World. I could be wrong on this, but I really do not see Square pushing for Slime. It'll most likely be Erdrick or The Luminary.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I would be really annoyed with Square if its Slime. If nothing else it should at least be Erdrcik
. Also I really doubt its Slime, that character also does not fit Square's patterns. Their guest characters are usually the protagonist of the series, such as Noctis and 2B. The rare exception to this rule is Behemoth in Monster Hunter World, and this is most likely due to the fact that Behemoth fit more in Monster Hunter World. I could be wrong on this, but I really do not see Square pushing for Slime. It'll most likely be Erdrick or The Luminary.
I mean, I just think Slime stands the best chance. Fortune Street sold itself with Mario and Slime together on the cover, after all.

LetterO

Smash Lord
No porky, sylux and rayquaza in wol. Vergeben said minecraft boss...

Yeah we are getting wol expansion updates holy **** O.o
I can see Porky and Rayquaza, but Sylux wouldn't work as a boss. He's about the same size as Samus and that doesn't fit the big bad enemies with huge screen wide attacks like bosses do.

Shroob

Sup?
I think what confuses me the most is:

Galleom: Yes
Duon: No ???

Like, they're both kind of generic, but, why one over the other? Is it because of the LOOOOOOOOOORE since Duon is made of Game and Watch or something?

osby

Smash Obsessed
I think what confuses me the most is:

Galleom: Yes
Duon: No ???

Like, they're both kind of generic, but, why one over the other? Is it because of the LOOOOOOOOOORE since Duon is made of Game and Watch or something?
It's probably because Galleom was a lot more interesting and memorable.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Duon also feels more like someone you should fight using two characters. Galleom isn't like that.

What I don't get is why the bosses are listed only with arenas. Apparently. Does that mean we have another set of boss data to look through? In the same way as how Ridley was lumped with other stage hazard/full boss data in 4?

dream1ng

Smash Lord
I'm aware of the risk when coming into the thread, but can we keep the unrevealed bosses or lack thereof in spoilers please?

osby

Smash Obsessed
I mean...... they're both REALLY forgettable.

That and, I personally always found Duon harder than Galleom.
I guess. I just think a boss you fight with two times and tried to take out Lucas and Pokemon Trainer with himself has more going for him.

potato69

Smash Apprentice
Nintendo ninjas just killed another stream lol. I wonder who the next Smash Ultimate early leaker of questionable smash skill will be.

Last edited:

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
I mean, I just think Slime stands the best chance. Fortune Street sold itself with Mario and Slime together on the cover, after all.
Its very unlikely its Slime out of all the DQ characters. Square as we know is extremely stingy with their things, why would they push for a character that is not even the protagonist? Instead its a random character like a Moogle, I get that Slime is popular. However so are Moogles and yet we got Cloud and not a Moogle. I don't see Square negotiating with Nintendo and giving them Slime, it just would not make sense on their part. And it does not fit Square's past business decisions, they do not push for guest characters that are not the protagonist. Its just not how Square does things, theres a reason we have Noctis in Tekken and not a Cactuar.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Was there gameplay of Snake and Simon's classic modes?

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Its very unlikely its Slime out of all the DQ characters. Square as we know is extremely stingy with their things, why would they push for a character that is not even the protagonist? Instead its a random character like a Moogle, I get that Slime is popular. However so are Moogles and yet we got Cloud and not a Moogle. I don't see Square negotiating with Nintendo and giving them Slime, it just would not make sense on their part. And it does not fit Square's past business decisions, they do not push for guest characters that are not the protagonist. Its just not how Square does things, theres a reason we have Noctis in Tekken and not a Cactuar.
Slime is the face of the series, he promotes it better than most alternatives. It's almost akin to using Pikachu over the Pokemon Trainer. Meanwhile Cloud is the most well-known Final Fantasy character, whereas with DQ it'd be Slime. A protagonist wouldn't be out of the question either, but Slime has solid reasoning behind it too.

Also Slime has crossed over with Mario multiple times before.

LetterO

Smash Lord
You know alot about Square's business decisions with DLC so can you please tell me how likely Neku would actually be so I can keep my expectations in check and not be needlessly super hyped for someone who might not even be in?

Shroob

Sup?
Verg has more or less quadrupled down on a Square rep, so I'm inclined to believe that "Yes, it's happening".... especially since the last time he went hard on something, we got Incineroar.

But even if we do get something. I'm expecting bare minimum from Square.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Verg has more or less quadrupled down on a Square rep, so I'm inclined to believe that "Yes, it's happening".... especially since the last time he went hard on something, we got Incineroar.

But even if we do get something. I'm expecting bare minimum from Square.
Won't every fighter pass character get the same stuff?

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
-Yoko Shimomura.......lesser known.......

Them's fightin' words.
As much as I love Yoko Shimomura, particularly for Street Fighter II, Super Mario RPG, Mario & Luigi (series), and Kingdom Hearts (series), she is lesser known then Nobuo Uematsu who is up there with Koji Kondo...she is, herself, a big name though, along with the likes of fellow female composer, Michiru Yamane, who did the music for most of the Castlevania series along with most songs in SkullGirls.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
That isn't why Cloud was chosen. Being a protagonist was meaningless. Being effectively the mascot and most memorable of the franchise is why people wanted him in. Besides, none of the monsters in Final Fantasy have the same mascot status as Slime does. Chocobo and Moogle are important, but Cloud has always trumped them in mascot status. Slime is however vastly more popular than Erdrick, but that's what happens when you're way more known in comparison. Consider the fact that many only know of the first two game outside of Japan. Erdrick doesn't exist outside of lore. Meanwhile, pretty much all know Slime, the actual mascot, who is pushed more than any one Hero(and many of the Heroes aren't notable at all. They're just the player avatar. The kicker is that Slime has his own games. It's also important in the Dragon Quest Monster games, literally being the Pikachu of it. Though unlike Pikachu, it doesn't have this "can't evolve/mate/etc. stuff" going on. Far less situational of a design. But it's not like Slime was based off of a specific version, it's just the first time it had characterization.

Slime is also a protagonist of some games. He's the Pikachu of the series. It makes sense to promote the actual mascot of the series first just as much as a player character. Slime is also more iconic worldwide, making him a very memorable choice. And Square does not only push protagonists as options. Mascots matter too. The noted Mario Hoops 3-on-3 was made by Square-Enix in Japan first. They chose Slime and other general Final Fantasy characters(but not actual protagonists, just generic classes) to work with. In a crossover.

There is no precedent of "player protagonist only" to go off of. They do whatever makes sense. And let's be honest, they're not exactly known for using the actual player characters of DQ over Slime to begin with. Even other monsters have taken precedence. So in the end, it more comes down to what Nintendo wants more. I could see them still saying yes to Erdrick.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
So if Banjo got in, would Kirby's copy ability have Kazooie in it?
Since there's only one Kazooie, that would be stealing not copying :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom