• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyboy

Smash Hero

I am both extremely glad and utterly confused at the same time :yoshi:
You and me both.
Like, I adore Yarn Yoshi and I even enjoy Mii outfits but that's...such a strange thing to do, to not even use it as an alt costume or echo. Maybe it was going to be Yoshi's final alt before Crafted World replaced it and they didn't want the assets to go to waste? Then again, that doesn't make a ton of sense considering Yarn Yoshi and regular Yoshi have different proportions. Huh.

dilfsR'us

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-5253-6645-3708
strange question but any dragalia lost characters? i assume that that game is too new.

Shroob

Sup?
Has anyone datamined what Classic mode rewards are?

When trophies were a thing, it made sense, but besides seeing what each has to offer(And getting VERY bored eventually due to the pool of bosses being relatively small), a 10 second video clip doesn't feel like enough of a reward anymore.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Imagine having your biggest IP barely represented in the biggest crossover in gaming history

This post was made by the everyone but Square Enix gang

Did I do it right?

D

Deleted member

Man, as much as I hate to say this, not even on a competitive aspect, adding Cloud in Smash For was a mistake.

**** off, Square Enix.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
At this point, if you're a Cloud main, I suggest you start looking into other characters.

Because if this keeps up, there is no way he's going to return in future Smash titles. Which absolutely breaks my heart. What I thought was a sign of good faith from Square when I saw him return seems to be nothing more than Sakurai having to practically beg for him.

Man, as much as I hate to say this, not even on a competitive aspect, adding Cloud in Smash For was a mistake.

**** off, Square Enix.
I wouldn't go that far. Having him there to begin with is one of the most amazing miracles of gaming, and it would be that way even if Square wasn't holding Sakurai at gunpoint.

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
With how many hoops Sakurai must have had to go through, I don't expect any Square Enix dlc characters.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
At this point, if you're a Cloud main, I suggest you start looking into other characters.

Because if this keeps up, there is no way he's going to return in future Smash titles. Which absolutely breaks my heart. What I thought was a sign of good faith from Square when I saw him return seems to be nothing more than Sakurai having to practically beg for him.
No thanks. Regardless of what's happened, I'll keep fighting with the characters that I love.

Regardless of the dumb things happening outside of the game.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
This whole Square Enix thing is just a reminder as to why Cloud was as surprising as he was, people weren't really wrong to assume it was impossible, because it seems like they made the impossible happen. Twice.

D

Deleted member

What's worse is that we should now feel happy that the usual leakers might end up becoming another Loz18 and might possibly now be back at square one, but now we're screwed out of actual content, too.

How the hell can you screw up THIS badly? "Everyone is here?" More like "Everyone got ****ed."

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

I'd say people should do the opposite and play him as much as possible while he's here, it might hurt if he's cut in the future, but that's only more of a reason to make the most of him while he's here.

Shroob

Sup?
So to sum up today in a nutshell:

Game got leaked and datamined

Over 1k tracks including fanfares and ****

Nearly 1300 Spirits

All the bosses were found

Stuff like Home Run Contest IS in the game, but not available

We have a legitimate leaker from 2 months ago saying there's going to be a day 1 patch to 'add modes', which may explain the above

There is NO Piranha Plant Spirit, at all, out of 1300 spirits

And Square-Enix is a ****

That sound about right?

potato69

Smash Apprentice
I want Funky Kong to smack Square Enix with his surfboard and then sell the disembodied soul of that damned company to Mario

D

Deleted member

“That Geno picture probably cost them a fortune.” “That Geno png is why they had to cut the stadium modes.”
Found these on that 4chan thread. Made me chuckle.
Y’know, maybe these jokes had slightly more truth to them than I thought.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
With how many hoops Sakurai must have had to go through, I don't expect any Square Enix dlc characters.
Unless it's, say, a smaller character exclusive to Nintendo and Square's interests...

this message was brought to you by the neku-edea-geno gang

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I think I'm gonna fall back on my old standby of "Blame Nomura".

Kingdom Hearts is a mess of a story? Blame Nomura.

FF7 remake never happening? Blame Nomura.

TWEWY Final Remix being the series' last chance? Blame Nomura.

FF15 being in development hell until Nomoura handed it off to someone else? Blame Nomura.

Cloud being held hostage by his adopted father? Fill in the blank.

Seriously, Square lets the man do whatever he wants and that's honestly part of why they are in as much of a financial mess as they are.

Last edited:

Freaky Mutant Man

Smash Apprentice
What's worse is that we should now feel happy that the usual leakers might end up becoming another Loz18 and might possibly now be back at square one, but now we're screwed out of actual content, too.

How the hell can you screw up THIS badly? "Everyone is here?" More like "Everyone got ****ed."
Excuse me, what? That's an overreaction if I've ever seen one. Cloud doesn't have all the bells and whistles, so what? It sucks a little, but nowhere near enough to be worth throwing the baby out with the bathwater. He's there in the first place, that's cool.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Apparently Yoshi has 24 Spirits

1. Yoshi (presumably as a Fighter Spirit)
  2. Grim Leecher
  3. Baby Mario
  4. Baby Mario (Superstar Mario)
  5. Baby Bowser
  6. Toadies
  7. Stork
  8. Roger the Potted Ghost
  9. Burt the Bashful
  10. Raphael the Raven
  11. Tap-Tap
  12. Bandit
  13. Slugger & Green Glove
  14. Crazee Dayzee
  15. Blargg
  16. Little Mouser
  17. Don Bongo
  18. Pak E. Derm
  19. Super Happy Tree
  20. Hongo
  21. Spirit Who Loves Surprises
  22. Ukiki
  23. Yarn Yoshi
  24. Yarn Poochy
Kamek is a Spirit, but under Mario *sigh*
Also no regular Poochy, just Yarn Poochy. Oh boy...
Also Turbo Yoshi is under Mario. Interesting...

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
Are we really degrading to a point where we have people seriously thinking SE had a metaphorical gun to Sakurai's head demanding him to not include their character in his big adventure mode?

****ing really guys?

Shroob

Sup?
So, can we talk about our Reddit leaker again?

The guy called Piranha Plant 2 months ago along with Incineroar's moveset and colors flawlessly, and says there's going to be a Day 1 patch that adds new modes.

We now KNOW that Home Run Contest's stage and non-looping music track is in the game's files.

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Spirit Who Loves Surprises
More like "Spirit who is no longer a surprise" amirite?

Thank you, thank you, tip your waitress.

Are we really degrading to a point where we have people seriously thinking SE had a metaphorical gun to Sakurai's head demanding him to not include their character in his big adventure mode?

****ing really guys?
What other explanation is there? It's not like he's just not part of the story, he's not there period. That clearly means Square didn't allow it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Excuse me, what? That's an overreaction if I've ever seen one. Cloud doesn't have all the bells and whistles, so what? It sucks a little, but nowhere near enough to be worth throwing the baby out with the bathwater. He's there in the first place, that's cool.
When Konami of all ****ing companies is being compliant with liberal use of their IPs, I don't think asking Square to throw some bones is too much. To have Cloud be gatekeeped as the only character you cant play with or include in your big Adventure Mode, it's being straight up abhorrent.

Mario, Mega Man, Snake, Sonic, Simon and Richter, Bayonetta, Ryu and Ken and Pac-Man are in World of Light.

Yet Cloud isn't.

Yeah, **** off, Square.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

So, can we talk about our Reddit leaker again?

The guy called Piranha Plant 2 months ago along with Incineroar's moveset and colors flawlessly, and says there's going to be a Day 1 patch that adds new modes.

We now KNOW that Home Run Contest's stage and non-looping music track is in the game's files.
Dude also said that the dev team was working overtime to fix bugs and that the game was probably gonna be pretty buggy on release. My guess is that the game is a bit more rushed than we thought, explaining why they need a day 1 patch to add modes.

doomedtacox

Smash Ace

Wtf are you talking about?

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Kamek is under Super Mario series, eh?

-Yoshi characters are all just mostly Mario mooks intensifies- :yeahboi:

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
When Konami of all ****ing companies is being compliant with liberal use of their IPs, I don't think asking Square to throw some bones. To have Cloud be gatekeeped as the only character you cant play with or include in your big Adventure Mode, it's being straight up abhorrent.

Mario, Mega Man, Snake, Sonic, Simon and Richter, Bayonetta, Ryu and Ken and Pac-Man are in World of Light.

Yet Cloud isn't.

Yeah, **** off, Square.
Uh....you do realize that could be the opposite, right? All that extra stuff could be things they demanded they get along with the character inclusion to even give the rights. I mean it makes more sense to WANT your character in the games big mode to advertise rather than to NOT want them there.

Freaky Mutant Man

Smash Apprentice
When Konami of all ****ing companies is being compliant with liberal use of their IPs, I don't think asking Square to throw some bones. To have Cloud be gatekeeped as the only character you cant play with or include in your big Adventure Mode, it's being straight up abhorrent.

Yet Cloud isn't.

Yeah, **** off, Square.
Look, it's annoying, yes, but this is some serious hyperbole here. "Straight up abhorrent?" Bro, it's video games, and not even anything that we could genuinely call abhorrent about video games (like mandatory crunch time and 100 hour work weeks, things that actually matter). Temper yourself, save the anger for things that matter.

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
Dude also said that the dev team was working overtime to fix bugs and that the game was probably gonna be pretty buggy on release. My guess is that the game is a bit more rushed than we thought, explaining why they need a day 1 patch to add modes.
That post was from 2+ months ago and it could be even longer since he was fired. They could've fixed alot of **** since then.

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Uh....you do realize that could be the opposite, right? All that extra stuff could be things they demanded they get along with the character inclusion to even give the rights. I mean it makes more sense to WANT your character in the games big mode to advertise rather than to NOT want them there.
And if this was any other company than Square, that might hold some merit.

But it's Square. This is far from the first time they've apparently been a nightmare to work with.

Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
square stuff aside, can y'all explain to me why this is so damn catchy???

edit: oh my god there's an electric guitar two minutes in

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
You expect Konami to be the terrible company to work with. They fired Kojima, cancelled PT and made it so people that HAVE it can't even PLAY it anymore on HALLOWEEN, and they made Metal Gear Survive while pushing a lot of their IPs into being Pachinko Machines.

If this were Konami, you'd expect it. NOT Square. Not Mr."Look at how many beloved and timeless JRPGs we've made".

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
And if this was any other company than Square, that'd be an absolutely valid point.

But it's Square. This is far from the first time they've apparently been a nightmare to work with.
Can you give some examples? Because these points for the last while from everyone have boiled down to "omg SE doesnt want to advertise their character but apparently also wants a lot of money for it despite these things kind of being contradictory in a way"

ChronoKatie

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cocobrien
Switch FC
7004 2762 0628
I'd say people should do the opposite and play him as much as possible while he's here, it might hurt if he's cut in the future, but that's only more of a reason to make the most of him while he's here.

Not only that, but showing his immense popularity in player choice could help him have another chance, or at least boost the chances of more representation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom