• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aixy

Smash Rookie
And this, folks, is precisely why there's a 'stingy Square' narrative.
This also fuels my belief he was a last minute addition and was originally gonna be removed after smash 4. Remember the Brawl Characters who were missing from the story?

Maybe he's automatically unlocked upon beating the story?

Last edited:

VashTehStampede

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
8506-1485-4895
Also, an update about Classic/WOL bosses:

View attachment 179495

Along with Giga Bowser, Master Hand and Crazy Hand since they have their own themes. Dracula has a second file named 'Dracula2' (or something to that effect) possibly meaning there's an alternate Dracula boss or there is a second phase.

No Master Core or any of its subsequent forms it seems, along with no Rayquaza and Brawl's OC bosses (including Tabuu).
Wasn’t it shown that big mech guy from brawl was a boss?

D

Deleted member

Cloud is apparently the only character you cannot unlock in WoL.
Imagine being that much of a hardass.
Also if spirits really do deconfirm and hint towards other characters
Choosing Adeleine over Bandana Dee as a Kirby DLC character would really confuse me, and I hate Bandana Dee

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Cloud is apparently the only character you cannot unlock in WoL.
serious. "There's a separate roster for characters you unlock in your "party" for WoL and Cloud is the only one not included in it."

WHAT THE ACTUAL **** IS YOUR MAJOR MALFUNCTION, SQUARE?!

I am GENUINELY ANGRY right now, COME ON.

Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Also, an update about Classic/WOL bosses:

View attachment 179495

Along with Giga Bowser, Master Hand and Crazy Hand since they have their own themes. Dracula has a second file named 'Dracula2' (or something to that effect) possibly meaning there's an alternate Dracula boss or there is a second phase.

No Master Core or any of its subsequent forms it seems, along with no Rayquaza and Brawl's OC bosses (including Tabuu and excluding Galleom).
We saw Dracula's second form briefly in his reveal - the giant demon.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Hey, at least Cloud's in the game still!
Which is more than I can say for a lot of other characters.

Last edited:

Aixy

Smash Rookie
Sounds like Square didn't want Cloud in this game and Sakurai had to move mountains to make it happen at all.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
IT'S HERE .. IT'S HERE.. THE KING OF ALL... (it's been 8hrs and I didn't know T^T)
If this doesn't give you goosebumbs, I don't know what will..
Snake Man Track is out :D
Definitely my top pick.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
So.......

Even though Vergeben and a few other leakers have said "There's a 2nd Square rep"

Is it wrong to have a lack of faith in such a claim when it's very obvious that working with Square probably hurts worse than the time I had a molar extracted?

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Hey, at least Cloud's in the game still!
Which is more than I can say for a lot of other characters.
At this point it feels like he's only half there.

With every other third party, we can celebrate so much about their series. With Cloud, we can celebrate... Cloud. Not FF, not even FF7, just Cloud.

It's almost as bad as him not being back, because it makes me feel like he really doesn't belong here.

Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
So.......

Even though Vergeben and a few other leakers have said "There's a 2nd Square rep"

Is it wrong to have a lack of faith in such a claim when it's very obvious that working with Square probably hurts worse than the time I had a molar extracted?
Working with Square on their most protective IP, sure. This is why I'm also doubtful of (but not wholly disregarding) Dragon Quest - why go through all that again, and this time for a character their western audience is much less familiar with?

Shroob

Sup?

With every other third party, we can celebrate so much about them. With Cloud, we can celebrate... Cloud. Not FF, not even FF7, just Cloud.

It's almost as bad as him not being back, because it makes me feel like he really doesn't belong here.
Even Marth and Roy cracked open an "How to English" book.

Cloud feels reaaaaaally shoehorned in now knowing all this.

D

Deleted member

And they want us to believe we're getting a 2nd Square character when Square seems to be doing their damnedest to make sure we forget about the first one.

VashTehStampede

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
8506-1485-4895

With every other third party, we can celebrate so much about them. With Cloud, we can celebrate... Cloud. Not FF, not even FF7, just Cloud.

Ehh I don’t agree with that, people are overlooking all we’ve been giving in exchange with what more we want to get. We have cloud and advent children cloud, Midgar with a very interesting level hazard of ICONIC summons, Odin, ifirit, leviathan, bahamut. Music while lacking are exactly what fits for fighting in smash. Just the fact that Cloud made it in smash is something so wild that shouldn’t be put down because we didn’t get more. Is it lame we didn’t get more? Sure. Cloud strife is in smash brothers and so far nothing has come close to that when it comes to hype reveals

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
So.......

I not only think this hurts the chances of a second Square rep, but it hurts the chances of any third party character that's not from a company Nintendo is damned certain will cooperate with them. It's the one bad kid who gets the whole class punished.

Flyboy

Smash Hero

It's a real bummer.

Him being in with Midgar is still awesome. Him being in at all is insane. I love FF7. I love Cloud. But at the same time...no Tifa spirit? No One-Winged Angel? Snake gets Spirits from every game in his series, even ones that Solid Snake wasn't even in, new music, and a beautifully updated stage. Simon and Richter get an iconic boas fight, tons of music, an incredible stage, and in many ways this feels like an apology that they haven't been in since the start. Even Sonic gets a new assist trophy and music from his latest games. Hell, he was even in the WoL intro.

Cloud just shows up. He isn't even usable in WoL. Like, the one mode he'd be amazing to use in canon. It's sad. I'll try to remember that it is a miracle he's in at all but...god damn Square.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, I'm gonna have to call Vergeben and the rest wrong on the whole Square thing at this point.

It almost feels like Square legit wanted to pull Cloud and the rest of any inclusions of their IP from Smash. But to have Cloud gatekeeped in World of Light?
These leakers better have some damning evidence to prove us all wrong. A track record isn't gonna cut it anymore.

ChronoKatie

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cocobrien
Switch FC
7004 2762 0628
I'm trying to figure out what the logical reason is for Square to say "No, he cannot be in any story content"

Not that Square is always known for logical decisions...

What, are they afraid people will think it's canon for Cloud's character? XD

Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
If we're still getting a new Square rep, I maintain we can only be going much, much smaller: Neku, Bravely, Geno—something Square has much less investment in than Final Fantasy.

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I'm trying to figure out what the logical reason is for Square to say "No, he cannot be in any story content"

Are they afraid people will think it's canon for Cloud's character? XD
Friendly reminder this is the company that is A-OK with him swinging his Buster Sword at Donald Duck and Goofy and having his own seperate canon in the KH universe.

I don't even know anymore.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Dragon Quest deserves representation in Smash but I don’t want them to just have a character, stage and 2 songs. That’d be so disappointing when they have so much fantastic music.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Okay so does anyone have any info on Spirits of the following:

Musashi (Sushi Strikers)
Cranky Kong
Funky Kong
Ryota Hayami
Monster Hunter (Character)
Style Savvy outside of the first game's stylist

I know that it seems Porky, Tibby, Cross, and Adeline are missing. Those plus the ones in the list above are ones I'm either predicting may have a DLC shot (Musashi, Cranky, and Funky) or make no sense to be missing if they aren't DLC (MonHun). Ryota and Style Savvy I'm just interested in seeing what the rep is.

I know we still aren't sure if Spirits disconfirm fighters. I'm not interested in reviving that debate. I'm just curious is all. Hypotheses.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
If we're still getting a new Square rep, I maintain we can only be going much, much smaller: Neku, Bravely, Geno—something Square has much less investment in than Final Fantasy.
N-Neku?

I just made peace with the idea that we aren't getting any new Square rep how dare you raise my hopes up that teensy bit. :(

Polan

Smash Lord
Even Marth and Roy cracked open an "How to English" book.

Cloud feels reaaaaaally shoehorned in now knowing all this.
okay the "cloud can't speak english" situation falls completely on nintendo and their bull**** beef with VA unions. so yeah, it's one of the few things square can't be really blamed for.
I not only think this hurts the chances of a second Square rep, but it hurts the chances of any third party character that's not from a company Nintendo is damned certain will cooperate with them. It's the one bad kid who gets the whole class punished.
nintendo won't allow other companies in smash because square are morons....i'm sorry but what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom