• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
"Hey Square, we'd really like to use Cloud again for our next Smash game."

"Sure, go ahead."

"Yeah, we've got some cool things planned this time, like a big adventure mode, so we'd really like to include more content from Final Fa-"

"lol **** that, one character and two songs, bye"

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Okay so does anyone have any info on Spirits of the following:

Musashi (Sushi Strikers)
Cranky Kong
Funky Kong
Ryota Hayami
Monster Hunter (Character)
Style Savvy outside of the first game's stylist

I know that it seems Porky, Tibby, Cross, and Adeline are missing. Those plus the ones in the list above are ones I'm either predicting may have a DLC shot (Musashi, Cranky, and Funky) or make no sense to be missing if they aren't DLC (MonHun). Ryota and Style Savvy I'm just interested in seeing what the rep is.

I know we still aren't sure if Spirits disconfirm fighters. I'm not interested in reviving that debate. I'm just curious is all. Hypotheses.
Cranky's spirit was shown in the last Smash Direct.

LetterO

Smash Lord
Okay so does anyone have any info on Spirits of the following:

Musashi (Sushi Strikers)
Cranky Kong
Funky Kong
Ryota Hayami
Monster Hunter (Character)
Style Savvy outside of the first game's stylist

I know that it seems Porky, Tibby, Cross, and Adeline are missing. Those plus the ones in the list above are ones I'm either predicting may have a DLC shot (Musashi, Cranky, and Funky) or make no sense to be missing if they aren't DLC (MonHun). Ryota and Style Savvy I'm just interested in seeing what the rep is.

I know we still aren't sure if Spirits disconfirm fighters. I'm not interested in reviving that debate. I'm just curious is all. Hypotheses.
Funky Kong is apparently a Spirit vendor with his own shack and dialogue.

Aixy

Smash Rookie
i wouldnt be surprised if cloud doesnt appear in any spirit battle or classic mode. Really messed up ****.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
"Hey Square, we'd really like to use Cloud again for our next Smash game."

"Sure, go ahead."

"Yeah, we've got some cool things planned this time, like a big adventure mode, so we'd really like to include more content from Final Fa-"

"lol **** that, one character and two songs, bye"
"C-can we at least get an assist trophy?"

"PFFFT no."

"...Okay, well can we borrow some art assets for Final Fantasy for our Spirits concept?"

"Sure! Here's Cloud and Advent Children Cloud."

"...Anything else?"

"God you're picky. Fine, here's those pictures of the doll and cotton ball you love so much. Now get out of my office!"

Steve95

Smash Rookie
Screw square nintendo should go to Falcom for Ys series instead of any square rpg, falcom will probably give Nintendo spirits,music,stage with no problem

dilfsR'us

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-5253-6645-3708
so if square enix's stock keeps dropping im dreaming that nintendo just buys them. that way i can get all of their games on the switch and their characters in smash!

Rummy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rummy
Switch FC
7820-4094-4523
It's a miracle Cloud is in this game at all.
I used to think it was a miracle he got into Smash 4 back in his announcement, Now i think it was a LITERAL Miracle he even made it into Sakurai's hands.

God i hope that SE Rep is real.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I mean, I'd like to look on the bright side and think that maybe there's a good, business reason as to why things happened like they did.

But of course my own, personal human bias is going to kick in and say "DAYUMN SQUARE, YOU WORSE THAN KONAMI NOW."

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
>Square Enix
>Has pitiful music selection
>Barely any spirits other than Geno and Mallow (and probably Cloud)
>Apparently still only has his Japanese voice.
>More SE characters and content are some of the most highly demanded things for Smash with their Geno's, Sora's, Chrono's, Lara Crofts etc etc etc.

A moment of silence for Sakurai's soul and sanity and everything he probably has to go through behind the scenes with some of these companies...

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Am I the only one who finds it hella ****ed up that our bodacious bro is selling the souls of his fallen brethren?

Like, just me?
It's hard times, little buddy! Make a buck and save your bros doing it!

The fact that Funky survived the Galeem Beam is great. I see him as having a decent shot if they want to add some Tropical Freeze love to the game. Shame about Cranky - his Pogo mechanic would be a really fun way to fight, and as I've said far too many times before, it's the closest we'd get to Scrooge so I have to support it on principle. I hope we get a remix of his DKC shack theme.

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
So.......

Even though Vergeben and a few other leakers have said "There's a 2nd Square rep"

Is it wrong to have a lack of faith in such a claim when it's very obvious that working with Square probably hurts worse than the time I had a molar extracted?
I honestly really don't think the talks for characters are as simple as these kinds of things we make them out to be. It's possible that the Smash devs never even asked about other spirits outside of Cloud and the SMRPG duo or decided not to push the music considering the general difficulties with FF music. It's possible there are other issues in place.
Like if Verge is correct and there is a 2nd SE rep showing up as DLC more content for them may be showing up there instead. It's also possible that the stuff the other 3rd parties got were things they actively pushed for as wanting to have in the game alongside their character or demanded as part of their rights deals

Just feels like this whole gets thought of in way too simple terms and from a biased perspective, especially since from Sakurai's recounting tmk getting the rights to Cloud was apparently pretty simple and amounted to him wanting him and the other side expressing surprise before Oking it.

D

Deleted member

At this point, I honestly believe that rumor that Cloud WAS the last character negotiated for.
What do you expect when dealing with a company that works ass backwards? I honestly ****ing fear for Kingdom Hearts 3, man. So much hype has been built up, but what if it's all for naught?

We're talking about the same company that made so many "good decisions", it ended up costing them $33M.

LetterO

Smash Lord
It's hard times, little buddy! Make a buck and save your bros doing it!

The fact that Funky survived the Galeem Beam is great. I see him as having a decent shot if they want to add some Tropical Freeze love to the game. Shame about Cranky - his Pogo mechanic would be a really fun way to fight, and as I've said far too many times before, it's the closest we'd get to Scrooge so I have to support it on principle. I hope we get a remix of his DKC shack theme.
Oh my god I just realized this indeed does means Funky somehow survived the entire universe being light beamed by Galeem

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Even Jigglypuff, Toon Link and Wolf(the last additions of Brawl) were in the after-game of Subspace emissary. It's really saying something when Cloud is in a lower position than that... geez Square.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
The ONLY slightly rational train of thought I can muster for a possible reason is it having something to do with Sony. Maybe they have some weird partial ownership of certain elements of FF7 and what Square can and can't do with him.

That, or them not wanting Cloud to distract people from the Remake when that won't be on a Nintendo platform.

But that point is moot when the original FF7 is coming to the Switch and the remake is on Xbox as well, so... I have no idea.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
At this point it feels like he's only half there.

With every other third party, we can celebrate so much about their series. With Cloud, we can celebrate... Cloud. Not FF, not even FF7, just Cloud.

It's almost as bad as him not being back, because it makes me feel like he really doesn't belong here.
Hey, Smash Ultimate ft. Cloud is infinitely better than Smash Ultimate sans Cloud.

Now if only we could get Steve Burton's voice in as a miracle somehow...

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Oh my god I just realized this indeed does means Funky somehow survived the entire universe being light beamed by Galeem
It makes sense, he just held up his board and the beams bounced off it. Snake had the right idea, just the wrong tools.

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Smash Ultimate ft. Cloud is infinitely better than Smash Ultimate sans Cloud.

It is better, yes, but it makes Cloud literally the sore thumb of the roster. He doesn't naturally blend in. It's just massively distracting.

D

Deleted member

Being optimistic, it’s possible that the reason there’s so little square content in base is because SE wants their stuff to be DLC for money, explaining the SE character rumours.

ChronoKatie

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cocobrien
Switch FC
7004 2762 0628
One does have to wonder if things will change going forward. Square is bringing several FF games to Switch (one of them being an HD remake of a beloved lesser-known title) and I'm assuming this was finalized after most of Ultimate's development. Perhaps the first DLC character being Square is part of this strengthening relationship with Nintendo and the lack of FF7/Cloud love is a product of the old days during Ultimate's development.

... And that is my desperate hope.

Shroob

Sup?
okay since no one responded to my question about guidances, can someone fill me in on all the new stuff that's been found out? i don't care about spoilers so just dump it all on me.
Bayo's is about how broken her combos are.

Richter and Alucard pop up in Richter's.

Viridi is a-ok with humanity going extinct in Inklings.

LetterO

Smash Lord
Hey, Smash Ultimate ft. Cloud is infinitely better than Smash Ultimate sans Cloud.

I'd argue that Smash Ultimate with Cloud AND Sans would be better and cool.

D

Deleted member

Bayo's is about how broken her combos are.

Richter and Alucard pop up in Richter's.

Viridi is a-ok with humanity going extinct in Inklings.
For Alucard I hope they use his SoTN portrait and voice.

Aixy

Smash Rookie
I do hope this cloud rights issue gets big so someone will address it. Maybe it'll wake square up

Flyboy

Smash Hero
For Alucard I hope they use his SoTN portrait and voice.
That'd just be the cherry on top of it all. Same with Richter's portrait. Maybe we couldn't get a full costume but long-haired Richter making any appearance would be fantastic.

I only wish we could've gotten Richter and Alucard in a new Snake codec.

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
You know, if you really think about it, if Cloud has Spirits despite not being playable in WoL

Maybe playable Cloud is actually non-canon in the Smash universe /s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom