• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Look, it's annoying, yes, but this is some serious hyperbole here. "Straight up abhorrent?" Bro, it's video games, and not even anything that we could genuinely call abhorrent about video games (like mandatory crunch time and 100 hour work weeks, things that actually matter). Temper yourself, save the anger for things that matter.
Oh, so proper franchise representation doesn't matter then? Literally all of what you just said can be applied to Square Enix's asinine behavior with their IPs involved this time around, y'know.

Freaky Mutant Man

Smash Apprentice
You expect Konami to be the terrible company to work with. They fired Kojima, cancelled PT and made it so people that HAVE it can't even PLAY it anymore on HALLOWEEN, and they made Metal Gear Survive while pushing a lot of their IPs into being Pachinko Machines.

If this were Konami, you'd expect it. NOT Square. Not Mr."Look at how many beloved and timeless JRPGs we've made".
Small correction here: P.T. was never actually deleted off hard drives, that was misinformation. Still, your point is otherwise made.

Freaky Mutant Man

Smash Apprentice
Oh, so proper franchise representation doesn't matter then? Literally all of what you just said can be applied to Square Enix's asinine behavior with their IPs involved this time around, y'know.
Proper franchise representation matters less than a lot of other things, yes. Again, it's annoying, but nothing worth flying into a rage over.

Also, what exactly did I say that was applicable to this?

ChronoKatie

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cocobrien
Switch FC
7004 2762 0628
I think I'm gonna fall back on my old standby of "Blame Nomura".

Kingdom Hearts is a mess of a story? Blame Nomura.

FF7 remake never happening? Blame Nomura.

TWEWY Final Remix being the series' last chance? Blame Nomura.

FF15 being in development hell until Nomoura handed it off to someone else? Blame Nomura.

Cloud being held hostage by his adopted father? Fill in the blank.

Seriously, Square lets the man do whatever he wants and that's honestly part of why they are in as much of a financial mess as they are.
I've always gotten the sense that it's the corporate suits at Square to blame. Nomura himself always seemed like an artist type to me. He is very much a man who does anything just cause he thinks it will be cool. After KH1, that was his entire process for the rest of KH's plot. Less concerned with what can't be done and more concerned with what can, regardless of ridiculousness, be done. So yes, absolutely blame him for a few of those, but I am actually not pointing my finger at him just yet for this bull with Cloud in Ultimate.]

But I could be totally off on that.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
At this point, I'm just holding out all hopes that Home Run Contest IS infact added as a Day 1 patch.

We have a LEGIT leaker saying there's going to be a Day 1 patch that adds "New modes", and we KNOW the mode is in the game's files along with its non-looping(Meaning it does NOT go on a stage) song.

Please Sakurai. Please.

D

Deleted member

I've always gotten the sense that it's the corporate suits at Square to blame. Nomura himself always seemed like an artist type to me. He is very much a man who does anything just cause he thinks it will be cool. After KH1, that was his entire process for the rest of KH's plot. So yes, absolutely blame him for a few of those, but I am actually not pointing my finger at him just yet for this bull with Cloud in Ultimate.]

But I could be totally off on that.
I dunno, we are talking about Tetsuya "I Wanted to Cancel FFXV's Development and Turn It Into a Musical" Nomura, sky's the limit.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
At this point, I'm just holding out all hopes that Home Run Contest IS infact added as a Day 1 patch.

We have a LEGIT leaker saying there's going to be a Day 1 patch that adds "New modes", and we KNOW the mode is in the game's files along with its non-looping(Meaning it does NOT go on a stage) song.

Please Sakurai. Please.
Nintendo goes for 'games as a service' these days anyway (Mario Tennis/Party, Splatoon, etc.), adding 'missing' modes periodically. Given how comparatively bare some of the content in Ultimate is, I can see them going for the same model.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
square stuff aside, can y'all explain to me why this is so damn catchy???

edit: oh my god there's an electric guitar two minutes in
Because Style Savvy ****ing slaps and the sooner we get the Stylist (or Sophie) as DLC the better.

Cheryl~

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1511-1076-9918
Oh, and there's also Crafted Yoshi as a Spirit, but it's WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY towards the bottom of the list like it was last minute or something...
That actually makes more sense if you look at the Spirits surrounding it, there’s a ton of Spirits from recent Nintendo games (Lots of Xenoblade 2 and Mario Odyssey Spirits for example) at the bottom of that list, they must’ve all been added later in development because of being more recent. So yeah Crafted Yoshi being in that section makes sense considering it’s game hasn’t even released yet.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Because Style Savvy ****ing slaps and the sooner we get the Stylist (or Sophie) as DLC the better.
me first time listening: "huh, this is pretty good"
me sixty-third time listening: "EVERYBODY CLAP YOUR HANDS"

ChronoKatie

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cocobrien
Switch FC
7004 2762 0628
I dunno, we are talking about Tetsuya "I Wanted to Cancel FFXV's Development and Turn It Into a Musical" Nomura, sky's the limit.
Haha right. He is absolutely crazy, but not necessarily stingy. The man just does whatever he thinks of. That's why I would think he'd be immediately on board with Cloud in Smash: because it seems absurd. I don't know that he'd be the one to say no to anything. XD

Flyboy

Smash Hero
It should've been a musical. Everything needs to be a musical. Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure 2. Let's go. #nomurawasright

Can someone link the entire Spirits list?

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
It should've been a musical. Everything needs to be a musical. Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure 2. Let's go. #nomurawasright

Can someone link the entire Spirits list?
https://pastebin.com/NCi8Af0N

These are the actual names, not the filenames. There's a separate info dump for that if you want

D

Deleted member

This might actually be slightly in Geno’s favour, because it means Sakurai already has the rights to use him at least a bit unlike literally every other Square character except mallow. Assuming spirits aren’t deconfirms anyway

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
Haha right. He is absolutely crazy, but not necessarily stingy. The man just does whatever he thinks of. That's why I would think he'd be immediately on board with Cloud in Smash: because it seems absurd. I don't know that he'd be the one to say no to anything. XD
As far as I am aware that's how it was with Nomura. Sakurai asked for Cloud and they were surprised because they though he would pick someone from one of the games closer to Nintendo but Sakurai said it had to be Cloud so that's what they went with.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
So, this are all the Kirby Spirits:
  1. spi_kirby
  2. spi_meta_knight
  3. spi_dedede
  4. spi_warp_star
  5. spi_whispy_woods
  6. spi_waddle_doo
  7. spi_waddle_dee
  8. spi_scarfy
  9. spi_scarfy_transformed
  10. spi_bronto_burt
  11. spi_poppy_bros_jr
  12. spi_nightmare_power_orb
  13. spi_nightmare_wizard
  14. spi_wheelie
  15. spi_bugzzy
  16. spi_meta_knights
  17. spi_star_rod
  18. spi_mr_shine_mr_bright
  19. spi_mr_frosty
  20. spi_dark_matter
  21. spi_marx
  22. spi_marx_soul
  23. spi_dyna_blade
  24. spi_chef_kawasaki
  25. spi_knuckle_joe
  26. spi_tac
  27. spi_plasma_wisp
  28. spi_halberd
  29. spi_heavy_lobster
  30. spi_gryll
  31. spi_nago
  32. spi_pitch
  33. spi_chuchu
  34. spi_dark_mind
  35. spi_moley
  36. spi_dark_daroach
  37. spi_masked_dedede
  38. spi_galacta_knight
  39. spi_bandana_waddle_dee
  40. spi_prince_fluff
  41. spi_landia
  42. spi_ultra_sword
  43. spi_queen_sectonia
  44. spi_robobot_armor
    1. spi_bonkers
    2. spi_rocky
    3. spi_rick
    4. spi_kine
    5. spi_coo
    6. spi_daroach
    7. spi_magolor
    8. spi_nightmare
    9. spi_kracko
    10. spi_gordo
    11. spi_bomber
    12. spi_gooey
    13. spi_dragoon
    14. spi_elline
    15. spi_susie

Where are the three general sisters from Star Allies?
We saw them in a video.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
As far as I am aware that's how it was with Nomura. Sakurai asked for Cloud and they were surprised because they though he would pick someone from one of the games closer to Nintendo but Sakurai said it had to be Cloud so that's what they went with.
Don't get me wrong, I'd like to believe that's what really happened behind the scenes, but something just doesn't sit right with me.

Compare Bayonetta which got a TON of stuff in Smash 4, or even Street Fighter which got a Ken trophy.

FF got nothing. No Sephiroth, no Chocobo, no Tifa.... Not a single damn trophy.

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
So I have no idea how square as whole runs, is it likely that this nomura guy is the one being stingy with cloud or some higher ups in the company?

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
This might actually be slightly in Geno’s favour, because it means Sakurai already has the rights to use him at least a bit unlike literally every other Square character except mallow. Assuming spirits aren’t deconfirms anyway
People did say that they didn't find a Pirahna plant as a spirit though, so i'm very worried now that Spirits do deconfirm characters

D

Deleted member

1. spi_kirby
  2. spi_meta_knight
  3. spi_dedede
  4. spi_warp_star
  5. spi_whispy_woods
  6. spi_waddle_doo
  7. spi_waddle_dee
  8. spi_scarfy
  10. spi_bronto_burt
  11. spi_poppy_bros_jr
  13. spi_nightmare_wizard
  14. spi_wheelie
  15. spi_bugzzy
  16. spi_meta_knights
  17. spi_star_rod
  19. spi_mr_frosty
  20. spi_dark_matter
  21. spi_marx
  22. spi_marx_soul
  23. spi_dyna_blade
  24. spi_chef_kawasaki
  25. spi_knuckle_joe
  26. spi_tac
  27. spi_plasma_wisp
  28. spi_halberd
  29. spi_heavy_lobster
  30. spi_gryll
  31. spi_nago
  32. spi_pitch
  33. spi_chuchu
  34. spi_dark_mind
  35. spi_moley
  36. spi_dark_daroach
  37. spi_masked_dedede
  38. spi_galacta_knight
  40. spi_prince_fluff
  41. spi_landia
  42. spi_ultra_sword
  43. spi_queen_sectonia
  44. spi_robobot_armor

We saw them in a video.
Their towards the bottom of the list alongside other characters from newer Nintendo games.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
People did say that they didn't find a Pirahna plant as a spirit though, so i'm very worried now that Spirits do deconfirm characters
At this point I'm certain they had a list of names more or less ready for DLC inclusion before deciding spirits. Could be wrong in 3-4 months when Geno or Elma or Bandana Dee get confirmed, but for now I'm taking them as deconfirmations.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
  1. spi_kirby
  2. spi_meta_knight
  3. spi_dedede
  4. spi_warp_star
  5. spi_whispy_woods
  6. spi_waddle_doo
  7. spi_waddle_dee
  8. spi_scarfy
  10. spi_bronto_burt
  11. spi_poppy_bros_jr
  13. spi_nightmare_wizard
  14. spi_wheelie
  15. spi_bugzzy
  16. spi_meta_knights
  17. spi_star_rod
  19. spi_mr_frosty
  20. spi_dark_matter
  21. spi_marx
  22. spi_marx_soul
  23. spi_dyna_blade
  24. spi_chef_kawasaki
  25. spi_knuckle_joe
  26. spi_tac
  27. spi_plasma_wisp
  28. spi_halberd
  29. spi_heavy_lobster
  30. spi_gryll
  31. spi_nago
  32. spi_pitch
  33. spi_chuchu
  34. spi_dark_mind
  35. spi_moley
  36. spi_dark_daroach
  37. spi_masked_dedede
  38. spi_galacta_knight
  40. spi_prince_fluff
  41. spi_landia
  42. spi_ultra_sword
  43. spi_queen_sectonia
  44. spi_robobot_armor

We saw them in a video.
Given the canonical explanation as to how Spirits exist, I will never not be amused by
Spirits such as the Ultra Sword. Apparently you can kill swords? Also, swords apparently have souls? I'm so very confused.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Y'all talk about how Chun-li would be easy to make in smash.

But **** you all. I'm not ready for charging motion on a fast paced 2D platform game.
I doubt Chun was cut for a couple of reasons. Namely that her moveset writes itself, and said placement, if it does pertain to a character, would be more in line with a first party character like Piranha Plant. I think it might be him.

But they don't have to give her charge motions if they don't want to. She had mostly Half Circle inputs in games like Third Strike, so moves like Kikoken and Spinning Bird Kick could use those instead. Marvel Infinite even made them Quarter Circle motions.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Don't give me spoilers but I need to know one thing about the World of Light: Does announcer loudly shouts "YOU SAVED THE EARTH!" at the instant you deal the last blow to Galeem?

Because if he doesn't, what's the point of a story mode?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Given the canonical explanation as to how Spirits exist, I will never not be amused by
Spirits such as the Ultra Sword. Apparently you can kill swords? Also, swords apparently have souls? I'm so very confused.
Sure, some swords have souls. Soul Reaver, Soul Calibur, Soul Edge. Kind of sort of Yamato and Sparda.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Looking through the Spirits list there are some funny things I've noticed.

Roll Caskett is in! Which is great but she's also nowhere near the other Mega Man characters. Same with Dee Jay and the other Street Fighter spirits. It's like they went "oh **** we forgot Dee Jay" and added him really fast.

No MGS2 or 4 Raiden Spirit, only MGR. That sucks because I really do dislike his MGR look in comparison. I was hoping for all three. Rosemary is there, though! That's very cool. They really dug deep with some of these Spirits and I love that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom