• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Man, I would really like a character that does job-changing.
It's such an iconic feature to JRPGs and is extremely specific to FF that I'm really surprised no character has done it.

That said, I nominate Bartz, Onion Knight/Luneth, or Tiz Arrior for the jack-of-all-trades JRPG character.

Or **** it, give me Terra Branford because she's the most magicky of the FF protagonists.
Wait, no. Ramza Beoulve because he chucks pebbles at people.
Or, and hear me out on this one,

The Final Fantasy equivalent of :ultmarth:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I mean, considering a lot of what I say is bait, I DO know a lot of it isn’t nice.
But again...you guys are right. I act like a completely different person here compared to how I act on the rest of the internet and real life. I think I’m gonna take a break from this forum for a while. I’ll lurk, but I won’t post. Even if I don’t mean a lot of what I say here, it doesn’t excuse it.
Well I...can't exactly take back the report but I appreciate you saying this.
Always nice to see someone admit their fault, myself included.

Good on you, go drink some water, and when you feel you can come back to this thread with some proper discussion you're more than welcome.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
Well I...can't exactly take back the report but I appreciate you saying this.
Always nice to see someone admit their fault, myself included.

Good on you, go drink some water, and when you feel you can come back to this thread with some proper discussion you're more than welcome.
You shouldn’t take it back. I deserved it, honestly.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
But the pacing was still super slow and it had a lack of a crossover feeling that every other trailer had. Thats my main two gripes.
That is true, but I think the main reason was to tie in with the AC reveal, and to make people question whether it was going to be about Smash or AC before she got the letter

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
As excited as some of the Ultimate reveals have been, nothing tops the holy **** that is this:

View attachment 178588
History was made that day. It was the third time Smash broke the Internet into pieces (after Sonic and Mega Man) and was one of those things that people couldn't believe was real. Who knew Brawl Taunts would actually predict the future.

Though honestly, Snake's reveal in Ultimate comes pretty darn close in the excitement department. It set Ultimate's statement in stone with Everyone Coming Back with a character no one thought would see come back after Konami's total fall of a cliff. It also helps that he's one of my favorite video game characters.

Chrom was also a very exciting reveal to me due to him making it despite having every conceivable odd against him and how much of a laughing stock he was during the Smash 4 era after his deconfirmation from Robin and his....daughter.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Man, I would really like a character that does job-changing.
It's such an iconic feature to JRPGs and is extremely specific to FF that I'm really surprised no character has done it.

That said, I nominate Warrior of Light, Cecil, Bartz,Onion Knight/Luneth, or Tiz Arrior for the jack-of-all-trades JRPG character.

Or **** it, give me Terra Branford because she's the most magicky of the FF protagonists.
Wait, no. Ramza Beoulve because he chucks pebbles at people.
So how would you go about it mechanically? Would you switch modes like Shulk/Pokemon Trainer, or would certain moves use certain job abilities. The latter would be harder to make into a cohesive character I think. So switching like PT might be better.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
It will happen again because the people who'll get hyped about the next convincing leak will be different from those who were convinced by the Grinch Hoax.
That is true, which is why I'm being very skeptical about what to believe in terms of leaks, aside from Vergeben and maybe Hitagi...maybe.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Or, and hear me out on this one,

The Final Fantasy equivalent of :ultmarth:
Hey, I'd be cool with him, but WoL isn't exactly known for job-switching.
He's usually depicted as being just the fighter class, which is shield-sword support guy.
If they do add him, they better give him his FF1 sprite design as an alternate costume, though.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
That is true, which is why I'm being very skeptical about what to believe in terms of leaks, aside from Vergeben and maybe Hitagi...maybe.
Speaking of Hitagi, what is making that person credible, if you all don't mind I bring this back up for one little question?

LetterO

Smash Lord
That is true, but I think the main reason was to tie in with the AC reveal, and to make people question whether it was going to be about Smash or AC before she got the letter
"Not Actual Gameplay Footage" basically told everybody (except for Etika and Arlo) it was Smash

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Speaking of Hitagi, what is making that person credible, if you all don't mind I bring this back up for one little question?
I think it's mainly that Vergeben has given him his blessing. That's about it, that I know of. Hitagi says he has a really good track record with other games in the past, but I don't know how true that is

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Hi lemme cut in

SMASH-WISE, Verge has stated he trusts Hitagi to an extent. It's more of a "wait and see" thing but they're undoubtedly the most reliable leaker we have right now by virtue of that.

OUTSIDE OF THAT, Hitagi has leaked a few things for other games-though he wasn't the first for some of them.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
"Not Actual Gameplay Footage" basically told everybody (except for Etika and Arlo) it was Smash
And the Commonwealth Realm. They immediately thought it was for AC and not Smash (for a few seconds at least)

KMDP

Smash Legend
He's usually depicted as being just the warrior class, which is shield-sword support guy.
If they do add him, they better give him his FF1 sprite design as an alternate costume, though.
Considering Warrior of Light has the Fighter alt in Dissidia, I'm pretty sure Square Enix would mandate that he have it in Smash as well.

Hell, considering Sakurai's ways, he might even make it the default look.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I think for me the most hype reveals would be.

1. :ultmegaman: Mega Man obviously. Since I main him. One of the GOATs/OGs. That just belongs.
2. :ultsnake: Snake, being the first 3rd Party character in general, opened up a new world of sick characters.
3. :ultcloud:Cloud, the guy I NEVER thought would get in, if he wasn't even in PSASBR. I even thought Sora had more of a chance than he did.
4. :ultridley: Ridley, dude was a LONG time coming. And the fact he looks so gangly and creepy makes it even better.
5. :ultlittlemac: Little Mac. Makes too much sense for a Nintendo crossover fighter. And his trailer had a cool style to it.

Ryu would have been dank, but he was leaked.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Considering Warrior of Light has the Fighter alt in Dissidia, I'm pretty sure Square Enix would mandate that he have it in Smash as well.

Hell, considering Sakurai's ways, he might even make it the default look.
you mean this?

Untitled.png

I always saw WoL as an enigma of FF1 itself because it didn't have clearly defined characters, not even in the remakes. He could be really any class except maybe white mage because white mage is clearly a chick

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Nothing will ever top this for me.

I get goosebumps every time I watch the part where the Smash logo appears in her eye. Now that is how you reveal a game.

Also, for people saying Isabelle wasn't hype, ya gotta understand what they were going for. AC is a chill life-sim, so the trailer being laid-back was extremely fitting and hype if you're an AC fan and familiar with how it does things. For me personally, I liked Isabelle's trailer more than even K. Rool's, so to each their own, I guess. :p

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
So how would you go about it mechanically? Would you switch modes like Shulk/Pokemon Trainer, or would certain moves use certain job abilities. The latter would be harder to make into a cohesive character I think. So switching like PT might be better.
Every attack is tied to a different job.
Dissidia pulled off this mechanic, FANTASTICALLY.
Course, it probably isn't a good idea to add the whole "mastering" system as well. That'd be, frankly, overwhelming in a game like Smash.

There are other ways too, like
The Firion Method: similarish to Bartz, just implement every weapon instead of job you have into your moveset.
The Onion Knight Method: Just transform into 2 variations of yourself that focuses on different strengths
The Cecil Method: Just transform into two entirely different characters that have zero overlap.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

He's usually depicted as being just the warrior class, which is shield-sword support guy.
He kinda looks a lot like Bartz to me.

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
Speaking of trailers, what is everyone's favorite reveal trailer?

For Smash 4, my favorite one was Little Mac's, even though I've never played Punch-Out. I just loved the comic book style of it, plus the classic training montage really sold it to me.

For Ultimate, it was Simon's, hands down. As soon as I saw that boot step in a puddle, I started losing my s***. I still find myself going back and rewatching it from time to time.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Speaking of trailers, what is everyone's favorite reveal trailer?

For Smash 4, my favorite one was Little Mac's, even though I've never played Punch-Out. I just loved the comic book style of it, plus the classic training montage.

For Ultimate, it was Simon's, hands down. As soon as I saw that boot step in a puddle, I started losing my s***. I still find myself going back and rewatching it from time to time.
I loved Sonic's reveal in Brawl. I remember how excited I was when I first saw that trailer, and Sonic running over Mario.

Good times...

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Nothing will ever top this for me.

I get goosebumps every time I watch the part where the Smash logo appears in her eye. Now that is how you reveal a game.

Also, for people saying Isabelle wasn't hype, ya gotta understand what they were going for. AC is a chill life-sim, so the trailer being laid-back was extremely fitting and hype if you're an AC fan and familiar with how it does things. For me personally, I liked Isabelle's trailer more than even K. Rool's, so to each their own, I guess. :p
Right? I mean, it's okay if some people didn't like her trailer and found it boring, but like you said it fits for AC. The AC fans loved it, since her trailer makes her fans feel right at home, so to speak. I mean they couldn't have her jump in guns blazing (though that would be funny as heck)

KMDP

Smash Legend
you mean this?

View attachment 178591

I always saw WoL as an enigma of FF1 itself because it didn't have clearly defined characters, not even in the remakes. He could be really any class except maybe white mage because white mage is clearly a chick
Technically, yes, I did mean that.

The Dissidia WoL is actually based on the look of the Warrior on the original Final Fantasy logo.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
Nowadays, I just think about Smash speculation in general and also think about how this series almost didn't happen. Jeez, I'm glad things changed...

Anybody here would have loved Dragon King though?

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
A Link to the Past/A Link Between Worlds Zelda is 15? Really?

I thought she was at least 20? Her tall posture in her Smash design makes her look a lot older.
I didn't realize she was that young either, though I do agree with what Etika says (even though I don't know if that's the real Etika or not)

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Technically, yes, I did mean that.

The Dissidia WoL is actually based on the look of the Warrior on the original Final Fantasy logo.
Literally just a grown up version of the N64/GCN Villager

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Nowadays, I just think about Smash speculation in general and also think about how this series almost didn't happen. Jeez, I'm glad things changed...

Anybody here would have loved Dragon King though?
TBH a lot of the reason I'm here is for the characters-doubt I would've been too into Dragon King

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom