• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
My guesses:
Isaac/Felix/Matthew, Euden, Magnus, Takamaru, Saki/Isa, Zael
Personally it would not surprise me if its Saki tbh. Sakurai's a fan of Sin & Punishment having modeled Kid Icarus: Uprising's gameplay from it. There's the fact too Saki is no longer an assist trophy.

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
Hello frens, I have returned from beyond the aether with more unneeded hypothetical CSS mock-ups.

Here's what the current final roster with the Echoes toggled on will probably look like

Here's what the current final roster with the Echoes toggled off will probably look like

Here's what the final final roster with Echoes toggled on will probably look like

And now here it is again, but Echoes toggled off

I may just toggle Echoes off to sate my CSS-OCD once things start shifting when DLC comes along. Good evenin' *ascends once more*

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
>Hitagi says there were some negotiations about Katalina, but something might have changed
>Says a sword user from a first party game not Zelda/Xeno/FE is in
>Nintendo picking the DLC might mean some sort of promotional picks
>DL is a massive success

This smells of Euden from a mile away.
That's actually really disappointing ;/

To me, it's more insulting to have a character who is Japan/Hong Kong/USA/Taiwan-exclusive than it is to just having a character that is Japan-exclusive.

Kataline please pull through.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
I not sure assist trophies are going to get promoted as DLC.

And even if they were, I doubt Nintendo would choose Takamaru over Isaac or Lyn.

Nothing against the character, but I doubt it'll happen.
Ok not him then what about a Rhythm Heaven rep thats got a sword? anyone know of one?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I not sure assist trophies are going to get promoted as DLC.

And even if they were, I doubt Nintendo would choose Takamaru over Isaac or Lyn.

Nothing against the character, but I doubt it'll happen.
Saki.

1. No longer an assist trophy.
2. Sakurai's a fan of Sin & Punishment having basing Kid Icarus: Uprising's gameplay from it.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Thinking about the echo newcomers for Ultimate, I think it was some of the Melee clone choices (and Ganondorf ending up a clone) that gave clones their bad reputation among the Smash Bros. community to begin with.

I actually wrote this nearly ten years ago (back in January 2009), so its weird to see some of it come true (ten years later), but a lot of it very wrong (Smash 4 was able to add in many unique newcomers while able to keep most of Brawl's roster).

However, despite there being more of an effort this time to make the clones more unique, many Smash Bros. fans still complained about them. Many people don’t realize that clones are actually a blessing. Clones help to boost up the roster (especially when development time is limited), increase the chances and allow for less likely characters to get in over more important ones (like how Dr. Mario was able to get in before Wario). A character such as Vaati would never be seriously considered (assuming he does not get any more games) for a newcomer list that only consisted of non-clone characters due to him not being important enough to warrant the development time needed to make a unique character. However, he would be one of the top contenders if Sakurai’s team went “clone crazy” as he would be an easy Zelda clone (really he would only need to have the magic changed to wind and dark magic, as well as have a new down-b and Final Smash).

Clones are especially important now more than ever. Sakurai’s struggled to get to 39 characters in Brawl, and since it is likely that Nintendo’s next console will have a sizable leap in graphical and technological prowess over the Wii (it should be about on par with the 360 or PS3), then Sakurai’s team will have an even more difficult time implementing a sizable increase for the roster. Assuming no characters from Brawl are cut, I can only see ten newcomers for this possible situation. However, many people make up the Smash Bros. fanbase would be hungry for more characters, and would “rage” to find out that Smash 4 only have 10 new characters.

That is where clones come in. Making five clones takes the effort of making one character (or at least that was what Sakurai implied back with Melee). Putting in five clones would boost the roster up to 50. However, I can see many people objecting to this. However, I think one of the main reasons people object to clones, if that in Melee, some of them (in their eyes) were poor choices. If I were to select 5 clones for Smash Bros. 4, I would try to select characters that were popularly requested and important to their respective series.

The example written about Vaati was poignant because it actually ended up happening with another villain who never appeared again in their own franchise (Dark Samus). Vaati being part of the Zelda series was just another face in the crowd unfortunately, while Dark Samus was still the most significant Metroid character after Ridley (especially if you did not ignore the Prime trilogy).

I also find it amusing ten years later for an upcoming Smash Bros. game we got FIVE newcomers that consisted of the cloniest type of clones ever, yet they were all well received for the most part.

LetterO

Smash Lord
Ok not him then what about a Rhythm Heaven rep thats got a sword? anyone know of one?
There's the Wandering Samurai who's appeared in all the games and is relatively popular in the series, but I don't know why he'd be chosen over, say, Karate Joe or Chorus Kids.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
>Hitagi says there were some negotiations about Katalina, but something might have changed
>DL is a massive success

Y'all know Ultimate ****ed me in the head when I say this genuinely saddens me and I want Katalina

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
Do you have a comic shop near you? They might carry it. I think it starts in June next year.
Nearest one to me became a barber shop as far as I remember. Which is kind of odd as it had started as a barber shop beforehand as well.
I gotta check around then to see if there are any others.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
>DL is a massive success

Huh... under normal circumstances, I'd would be all for Euden's inclusion, if this is true (I do like dragon-like/dragon-transforming characters).

However, if this is true, I doubt Euden would be the one included unless Hitagi was wrong about Katalina.
I highly doubt Cygames is getting two reps in DLC.
And honestly... I'd prefer Katalina in this scenario because I feel she has more potential to be unique over Euden (who admittedly looks similar to Shulk and shares the "prince who's can transform into a dragon" trope with Corrin, who already got a lot of criticism due to his/her inclusion)

It could happen, but I highly doubt it.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
>DL is a massive success

Euden, huh? That'd go down well with a lot of fans, I assume...

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
>First party
>Has a sword
>Still isn't Lyn

God.
DAMMIT.

Last edited:

Double K

Smash Lord
And honestly... I'd prefer Katalina in this scenario because I feel she has more potential to be unique over Euden
Granblue player speaking

Honestly, the only mechanic he'd share with Corrin is "I can turn into a dragon" but Euden does it in a significantly different way to make it unique, whereas Katalina, water/ice powers included, is still largely a magical Marth

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
Can someone link to Hitagi saying there would be a Nintendo DLC character that wasn’t from Xeno/FE/Zelda? Because they last thing I remember reading from him was saying it wasn’t a Xenoblade character. I don’t recall anything about no FE or Zelda.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Granblue player speaking

Honestly, the only mechanic he'd share with Corrin is "I can turn into a dragon" but Euden does it in a significantly different way to make it unique, whereas Katalina, water/ice powers included, is still largely a magical Marth
Doesn't she have summon swords or summon ice swords though? Those are always pretty cool.

At least on Vergil.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Euden would ONLY be interesting if he had TWO movesets.

One as his human form focusing on his sword.

And another once transformed into a dragon.

That's really the only way to separate him from Corrin.

But we don't really do transformation characters anymore.....soooooooooooooooo.........

Bleh.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Saki.

1. No longer an assist trophy.
2. Sakurai's a fan of Sin & Punishment having basing Kid Icarus: Uprising's gameplay from it.
2 things to remember:

1. Nintendo has a MAJOR role in who gets in as DLC or not. Sakurai wanting a character isn't as strong as an argument in this scenario.
2. These characters are being sold as DLC, you're paying an additional $6 for each new character + all the stuff with him/her. I don't see Saki being a major DLC seller, unless Nintendo has plans for the Sin & Punishment series in the future.

Again, cool character, but not very likely to happen.

Last edited:

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Maybe it IS Elma and Hitagi just never played X. At this point I'd sooner believe that than it being some nobody from a middle of the road first party JRPG for the ds.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Euden would ONLY be interesting if he had TWO movesets.

One as his human form focusing on his sword.

And another once transformed into a dragon.

That's really the only way to separate him from Corrin.

But we don't really do transformation characters anymore.....soooooooooooooooo.........

Bleh.
One issue with that.

How the **** would a dragon latch onto the ledge?
I don't wanna meme this again, but... Midgardsormr is 2 big.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
2 things to remember:

1. Nintendo has a MAJOR role in who gets in as DLC or not. Sakurai wanting a character isn't a good argument in this scenario.
2. These characters are being sold as DLC, you're paying an additional $6 for each new character + all the stuff with him/her. I don't see Saki being a major DLC seller, unless Nintendo has plans for the Sin & Punishment series in the future.

Again, cool character, but not very likely to happen.
Sakurai also has a major role, you're underplaying it.

Saki isn't getting in but I just wanted to say.

Double K

Smash Lord
Doesn't she have summon swords or summon ice swords though? Those are always pretty cool.

At least on Vergil.
Kiiiiiinda?

It's part of her super move when you fill the meter, so unless you made that into her neutral B, she's not particularly flashy. Gran/Djeeta, despite being a generic PC with a customizable moveset, still has a pretty cool potential when you factor in that the canon is that Lyria empowers them with the power of Primals.

D

Deleted member

Anyways I'm placing my bets on this supposed 1st Party sword user being either Matthew or Saki.
I do not know who it can be though. That is pretty confusing. I am not too firm on this leak to be honest.
Here's an idea for a spirit battle.

Spirit: Sawsbuck
Opponents: Isabelle (Summer Outfit) and Isabelle (Winter Outfit)
Special Effects: Both Isabelle's have a healing effect while you take small amounts of damage over time.

It references Sawsbuck's appearance changing with the seasons, as well as its signature move, Horn Leech.
Starbucks Isabelle, boys.
https://i.imgur.com/RNEHpDX.png
I am not sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom