• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Why do people want these ridiculous, "kitchen sink" rosters? If I was in charge of the roster, I'd still want to have a sensible, realizable roster that represents Nintendo well. There'd be a deep cut or WTF character or two for sure, but no anime, no 20 characters from one series, no cartoon dogs :facepalm:
On the subject of deep cuts, my friend and I realized that if we were to make a roster using only people who were on the NES or Game Boy we would still have an incredible roster.

Mario (Mario Bros/SMB/Wrecking Crew/Donkey Kong)
Donkey Kong (Classic Donkey Kong Arcade)
Link (Zeldas 1, 2, and Link's Awakening)
Samus (Metroid)
Kirby (Kirby's Adventure and the other ones)
Pikachu (Pokemon Red, so he's fat)
Luigi (SMB and Mario Bros)
Jigglypuff
Peach (Princess Toadstool white dress look)
Daisy (Mario Land look)
Bowser (All of his looks)
Ice Climbers
Zelda (Oldschool)
Dr. Mario
Marth
Mewtwo
Mr. Game & Watch
Meta Knight
Pit
Zero Suit Samus (Now just looks like out of her costume Samus/Justin Bailey)
Wario (Mario Land)
Solid Snake (Metal Gear)
Pokemon Trainer (Red)
King Dedede
R.O.B.
Mega Man
Little Mac (Arcade and NES looks)
Palutena (Kid Icarus original)
Pac-Man (Pac-Man 2/Pac-Land so just what he looks like now but with actual eyes)
The Koopalings (No Bowser Jr.)
Duck Hunt
Ridley (Metroid)
Simon Belmont (NES)
Piranha Plant
Billy and Jimmy Lee (Same space, different alts)
Bill Rizer
Ryu Hayabusa
Mach Rider
Toad
Jason/Kane (Blaster Master)
Goemon
Ebisimaru
Rad Spencer
Mike Jones
Battletoads
Starman
Bub and Bob
Arthur (Ghosts N' Goblins)
Alucard
Erdrick (Dragon's Quest)
Black Mage (Final Fantasy)
Medusa (Kid Icarus)
Ninten
Ayumi Tachbana

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Why do people want these ridiculous, "kitchen sink" rosters? If I was in charge of the roster, I'd still want to have a sensible, realizable roster that represents Nintendo well. There'd be a deep cut or WTF character or two for sure, but no anime, no 20 characters from one series, no cartoon dogs :facepalm:
RIP Goofy. Only Donald is allowed in Sora's Final Smash now.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
On the subject of deep cuts, my friend and I realized that if we were to make a roster using only people who were on the NES or Game Boy we would still have an incredible roster.

Mario (Mario Bros/SMB/Wrecking Crew/Donkey Kong)
Donkey Kong (Classic Donkey Kong Arcade)
Link (Zeldas 1, 2, and Link's Awakening)
Samus (Metroid)
Kirby (Kirby's Adventure and the other ones)
Pikachu (Pokemon Red, so he's fat)
Luigi (SMB and Mario Bros)
Jigglypuff
Peach (Princess Toadstool white dress look)
Daisy (Mario Land look)
Bowser (All of his looks)
Ice Climbers
Zelda (Oldschool)
Dr. Mario
Marth
Mewtwo
Mr. Game & Watch
Meta Knight
Pit
Zero Suit Samus (Now just looks like out of her costume Samus/Justin Bailey)
Wario (Mario Land)
Solid Snake (Metal Gear)
Pokemon Trainer (Red)
King Dedede
R.O.B.
Mega Man
Little Mac (Arcade and NES looks)
Palutena (Kid Icarus original)
Pac-Man (Pac-Man 2/Pac-Land so just what he looks like now but with actual eyes)
The Koopalings (No Bowser Jr.)
Duck Hunt
Ridley (Metroid)
Simon Belmont (NES)
Piranha Plant
Billy and Jimmy Lee (Same space, different alts)
Bill Rizer
Ryu Hayabusa
Mach Rider
Toad
Jason/Kane (Blaster Master)
Goemon
Ebisimaru
Rad Spencer
Mike Jones
Battletoads
Starman
Bub and Bob
Arthur (Ghosts N' Goblins)
Alucard
Erdrick (Dragon's Quest)
Black Mage (Final Fantasy)
Medusa (Kid Icarus)
Ninten
Ayumi Tachbana
I could definitely dig this roster

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I have a little game to play.
Say, hypothetically, you were put in charge of the rest of the characters. You were told to choose 5 for Ultimate DLC, and then choose 20 more for future installments, bringing the character total to 100. Which 25 characters would "complete" the roster for you? (Please no judging other people's, it's their opinion.)
1. Rayman
2. Sora
3. Steve
4. Katalina
5. Edelgard
6. Geno
7. Banjo and Kazooie
8. Gunvolt
9. Chorus Kids
10. Giygas
11. Shade
12. Arle Nadja
13. Renamon
14. Spring Man
15. Bandana Dee
16. Waluigi
17. Isaac
18. Patra
19. Krystal
20. Balloon Fighter
21. Lottie (Isabelle Echo)
22. Shadow (Sonic Echo)
23. Zoroark (Lucario Echo)
24. Gooigi (Luigi Echo)
25. Zoe Trent
Not sure if this is going to catch on but whatever.
1. Geno
2. Steve (Inevitable)
3. Katalina (I kind of want her now)
4. Banjo & Kazooie
5. Doom Slayer

1. Vaati
2. Ashley
3. Waluigi
4. Sylux
5. Dark Matter
6. Krystal
7. Sceptile
8. Ninten (Chrom style echo of Ness and Lucas)
9. Giygas (Giegue)
10. Medeus
11. Medusa
12. Viridi
13. King Hippo
14. Elma
15. Rex
16. Alex Roivas
17. Wonder Red
18. Devil
19. Dillon
20. Saki Amamiya
21. Spring Man
22. Chorus Kids
23. Takamaru
24. Heihachi Mishima
25. Travis Touchdown
26. Rayman
27. Professor Layton
28. Shovel Knight
29. Ouse Kurosawa
30. Dragon King (an OC based on the beta concept of Dragon King: The Fighting Game(

I had to go over, I just couldn't stop

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Speaking of which, I really hope it's Sora who's the "SE rep" as Verge and others reported on.

I mean i'll admit I don't even like Kingdom Hearts but it's still a legendary gaming franchise with huge popularity in both the West & Japan. And if the SE character is going to be the first announced, it needs to be a heavy hitter and someone the fans are going to get excited about. With a Dragon Quest character, it's not really that exciting. It's essentially a character that appeals almost exclusively to the Japanese market. No offense to fans of the DQ series.

D

Deleted member

If I made the Smash roster, I'd have included SMT and Persona representation long ago just so I could have an excuse for including a playable character from Etrian Odyssey.
Honestly, I think we'll need a massive reboot of Smash. No cuts is exciting, but I don't think it'll have the same appeal the second time around. If anything, a few people might expect it and not care at all when it gets announced.

I know this isn't a popular opinion, but I think we should trim down the roster by 10-20 characters and put a heavier focus on adding several new and in-depth modes that would add more variety, like Subspace or Spirits. Yes, it would be a huge relief to get every character back in every Smash, but as the roster continues to grow, I feel like that would cost us a lot of content in other areas of the game. Stadium modes and Stage Builder were cut in Ultimate. Imagine an outcome worse than that five - seven years from now in the next Smash game just because we couldn't give up any of the roster.
I'd like to see those fans. Everyone knows you don't actually play Smash. You open a bottle of wine, sit in front of the fireplace and gaze at the character selection screen.
Hey man, look above ya

Last edited by a moderator:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
But 'sensible' is no fun. Especially asone could argue DBFZ's roster is pretty sensible with like idk 25 characters? I never counted. And that roste has issues beyond 50 million Gokus

Flyboy

Smash Hero
If I made the Smash roster, I'd have included SMT and Persona representation long ago just so I could have an excuse for including a playable character from Etrian Odyssey.

Hey man, look above ya

Dod you hear about Skyrim getting ported into Ultimate though? Because if not, your info is fake.
Dovahkiin will be the first Smash pack character and they come with a stage named Skyrim and when you pick it your chosen characters are the main characters of Skyrim and you have to beat the entire game or get a game over to leave.

Last edited:

Jakenimbus

Smash Apprentice
I have a question, how exactly does the free piranah plant work? What conditions have to have been met to receive the character for free?

KiBom

Smash Journeyman
I have a question, how exactly does the free piranah plant work? What conditions have to have been met to receive the character for free?
You have to own the game before January 31. If you buy it digitally, you're already good to go. If you buy physical, you just have to redeem the gold coins that come with the game in the eshop.

D

Deleted member

Dovahkiin will be the first Smash pack character and they come with a stage baned Skyrim and when you pick it your chosen characters are the main characters of Skyrim and you have to beat the entire game or get a game over to leave.
No game overs to leave. If you die in the game you die in real life.

osby

Smash Obsessed
But 'sensible' is no fun. Especially asone could argue DBFZ's roster is pretty sensible with like idk 25 characters? I never counted. And that roste has issues beyond 50 million Gokus
I mean, even without X-Men being cut, people didn't liked how MVCI has no wacky, weird characters like Phoenix Wright or Shuma-Gorath.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Speaking of which, I really hope it's Sora who's the "SE rep" as Verge and others reported on.

I mean i'll admit I don't even like Kingdom Hearts but it's still a legendary gaming franchise with huge popularity in both the West & Japan. And if the SE character is going to be the first announced, it needs to be a heavy hitter and someone the fans are going to get excited about. With a Dragon Quest character, it's not really that exciting. It's essentially a character that appeals almost exclusively to the Japanese market. No offense to fans of the DQ series.
Between the two most likely Square reps being a Dragon Quest character and Sora.
I think Sora would have that I cant believe they added this character to Smash. The same way many people reacted when Cloud was added in the game. He would be more of that Wow factor, than a Dragon Quest character would. Mostly because some people have assumed Disney would be too big of a hurdle, so if he did make it in it would definitely create a lot excitement.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Either buy the game now digitally or enter the code on the voucher on MyNintendo when the game comes out, you have until the end of January to do this iirc, after that, you're going to have to pay for the plant
If I see the words ‘Zoe Trent’ pop up on my screen in purple text one more time...
Zoe Trent

hazza5557

Smash Journeyman
Either buy the game now digitally or enter the code on the voucher on MyNintendo when the game comes out, you have until the end of January to do this iirc, after that, you're going to have to pay for the plant

Zoe Trent
It’s not purple so it’s fine.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

Zoe Trent
That's not in purple text... let me help
Zoe Trent :troll:

Last edited:

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Alright. If I had to choose 25 newcomers for a new Smash game, assuming everyone in the current roster stayed, here's what I'd do.
1. Bandana Dee
2. Decidueye
3. Bomberman
4. Isaac
5. Chibi-Robo
6. Dixie Kong
7. Captain Toad
8. Captain Syrup
9. Pig Ganon
10. Impa
11. Sylux
12. Paper Mario
13. Elma
14. Shadow
15. Geno
16. Chorus Kids
17. Porky
18. Mach Rider
19. Prince Sable
20. Hector
21. Ashley
22. Medusa
23. Ryu Hayabusa
24. Phoenix Wright
25. Banjo-Kazooie.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Honestly, I think we'll need a massive reboot of Smash. No cuts is exciting, but I don't think it'll have the same appeal the second time around. If anything, a few people might expect it and not care at all when it gets announced.

I know this isn't a popular opinion, but I think we should trim down the roster by 10-20 characters and put a heavier focus on adding several new and in-depth modes that would add more variety, like Subspace or Spirits. Yes, it would be a huge relief to get every character back in every Smash, but as the roster continues to grow, I feel like that would cost us a lot of content in other areas of the game. Stadium modes and Stage Builder were cut in Ultimate. Imagine an outcome worse than that five - seven years from now in the next Smash game just because we couldn't give up any of the roster.
Kind of similar to what I've pointed out before when Ultimate was announced. Everything comes at a price. I fear if they tried to push the Roster size any larger in the next game that the entire thing might start breaking down.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Between the two most likely Square reps being a Dragon Quest character and Sora.
I think Sora would have that I cant believe they added this character to Smash. The same way many people reacted when Cloud was added in the game. He would be more of that Wow factor, than a Dragon Quest character would. Mostly because some people have assumed Disney would be too big of a hurdle, so if he did make it in it would definitely create a lot excitement.
Yeah man i'm not even a KH fan and i'd be stoked to see Sora in this game. Would be a huge moment akin to Cloud's reveal in Smash 4. Compare that to Dragon Quest who would be a "yeah, whatever" reveal for a lot such as myself.

The first DLC character needs to be the heavy hitter. Like what Mewtwo was in Smash 4. Engaging your audience and making them excited for the prospect of new, post-release content.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
Yeah I heard the rumor but nothing came out of it so far.

And what's all this rumbling of a new F-Zero? Are they talking about the rumored Star Fox game that plays sort of like F-Zero?
The Blue Falcon has a completely new interior as seen in the Smash Ultimate direct a few days ago. Again, these changes are in the cinematic model and are completely different than the one found in Smash 4

I think it could be a hint for a new F-Zero game that's going to come out...

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
The Blue Falcon has a completely new interior as seen in the Smash Ultimate direct a few days ago. Again, these changes are in the cinematic model and are completely different than the one found in Smash 4

I think it could be a hint for a new F-Zero game that's going to come out...
That's a good find. Simon's trailer hinted at Luigi's Mansion 3 and a month later that got announced.

That'd be cool but i'm not going to get my hopes up for that.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I mean, even without X-Men being cut, people didn't liked how MVCI has no wacky, weird characters like Phoenix Wright or Shuma-Gorath.
That game's issue was how safe the roster was. Disney was an absolute ***** to work with and wanted what they'd use for the MCU. Capcom's roster was mostly safe too for some reason. Then there's how MvC3 did what Sakurai's doing now, Marvel gave them a list of characters they'd be ok with and Capcom looked at it and thought "Oh damn that's cool". Funny enough something happened and Capcom somehow got the impression Deadpool was a no go, Marvel quickly caught on though lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom