• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Assuming it was feasible from a development and licensing standpoint... how would people feel if going forward, Smash games were like Ultimate, where they port the entire roster + DLC from the last game, then add half a dozen newcomers/echoes each? Or would we rather see a reboot that heavily reworks the gameplay with massive cuts and more new characters?
The first thing
Please no cuts
ever again

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Slime has been the star of 3 games, so it's a possibility. Slims are tough, honestly I would really rather play as Slime than any of the heroes.
Ok. Just making sure, is that the Sora image you want to use (already saved) or any Sora image?

Hmm, Are Disney and Nintendo really that buddies? Then why Mario was scrapped for Wreck it Ralph 2?
No, I meant the other way around. One of Goemon tracks sounds like it's from DB, that's the JP DB however.
Oh I love Okami, yes they sound similar cause they roam around Japan folk.

Ok, so out of the 3 (I think you've already guessed), the 2nd is what I liked the most. The first was also amazing and the 3rd just didn't fly with me (sorry). You know why even if or you like a track it may not sound as good to me or you? it's simply because each track is actually connected to moments of games we've played and got affected by. It's not even stable in one game. Like we can play the same game but the moments that affected each might differ, which lead to different likings to tracks of that said game. So don't worry about it.
Im fine with a Dragon Quest character making it in, but I wont lie ill be disappointed if its a Slime as iconic as they are. You can use any Sora image I just put that one because thats him making a funny face.

I did not know that Mario plans had been cancelled, hmm odd since people reported mario kart music coming from the pavilion where they were promoting wreck ralph 2. I know Disney and Nintendo are still going to promote the Switch together with some sort of trivia event. Other than that it could just be that the two company's are indifferent to each other right now. I have to say though Dragon Quest would be a gamble, but if it pays off. It would help at least generate some revenue and interest in Dragon Quest 11 for the Switch. With the hit that Square took recently in losing 33million it might help them out even if its a little.

Haha yeah I figured you would like the second and its ok I was unsure of the 3rd. I mean I do like it, but I had a hard time choosing the 3rd spot.

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
Assuming it was feasible from a development and licensing standpoint... how would people feel if going forward, Smash games were like Ultimate, where they port the entire roster + DLC from the last game, then add half a dozen newcomers/echoes each? Or would we rather see a reboot that heavily reworks the gameplay with massive cuts and more new characters?
I think the no cuts thing would benefit the fanbase more, because otherwise you get endless wars again with "Lucario replaced Mewtwo", "This character is irrelevant" etc.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
First one. I don't enjoy cuts and Smash For proved people prefer veterans staying to more newcomers overall.

KiBom

Smash Journeyman
On a totally unrelated note, my idea for a competitive stage choosing method.

Game 1:

Winner of coinflip/RPS picks five stages from neutral list. Opponent bans two of those five. Winner picks one of the remaining three.

Games 2 & 3:

Loser of previous game picks seven stages with a max of five from the counterpick list. Winner bans four of those seven. Loser picks one from the remaining three.

Battlefield or any BF Form
Final Destination or any Omega Form
Fountain of Dreams
Yoshi's Story (Melee)
Yoshi's Story (Brawl) HO
Pokemon Stadium 2 HO
Warioware HO
Yoshi's Island HO
Frigate Orpheon HO
Unova Pokemon League HO
Kalos Pokemon League HO
Dream Land
Brinstar HO
Pokemon Stadium
Lylat Cruise HO
Castle Siege HO
Smashville
Magicant HO
Arena Ferox HO
Skyloft HO
Town and City HO
Wuhu Island HO

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
On a totally unrelated note, my idea for a competitive stage choosing method.

Game 1:

Winner of coinflip/RPS picks five stages from neutral list. Opponent bans two of those five. Winner picks one of the remaining three.

Games 2 & 3:

Loser of previous game picks seven stages with a max of five from the counterpick list. Winner bans four of those seven. Loser picks one from the remaining three.

Battlefield or any BF Form
Final Destination or any Omega Form
Fountain of Dreams
Yoshi's Story (Melee)
Yoshi's Story (Brawl) HO
Pokemon Stadium 2 HO
Warioware HO
Yoshi's Island HO
Frigate Orpheon HO
Unova Pokemon League HO
Kalos Pokemon League HO
Dream Land
Brinstar HO
Pokemon Stadium
Lylat Cruise HO
Castle Siege HO
Smashville
Magicant HO
Arena Ferox HO
Skyloft HO
Town and City HO
Wuhu Island HO
so what exactly is a counterpick in terms of stage picking and legality? it's something I've never really understood

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Would that even be possible to do again?

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Well, one downside there, is that it definitely wouldn't cause as much buzz as Ultimate.

"Everyone is Here!", wouldn't be as exciting, as it was the first time around...

D

Deleted member

Well, one downside there, is that it definitely wouldn't cause as much buzz as Ultimate.

"Everyone is Here!", wouldn't be as exciting, as it was the first time around...
It would be pretty exciting the second time. Like, "oh my god, they're sticking with it! Awesome sauce!"

osby

Smash Obsessed

It would be pretty exciting the second time. Like, "oh my god, they're sticking with it! Awesome sauce!"
I'd say both of you are right. Concept would lose it "oomph", but it's not a bad thing. Though, I still thing they can't replicate it.

StormC

Smash Hero
Would that even be possible to do again?
Probably not, honestly. I expect third parties to be on the chopping block big time next go around. Mega Man, Sonic, and Pac-Man are probably safe, but the rest? Wouldn't be surprised if they all get Thanos'd.

D

Deleted member

Probably not, honestly. I expect third parties to be on the chopping block big time next go around. Mega Man, Sonic, and Pac-Man are probably safe, but the rest? Wouldn't be surprised if they all get Thanos'd.
No way! If they managed to get here, and it's doing the other companies good, why wouldn't they keep it going?
Although Bayo being cut would leave a wide open spot for Zoe to be the new Female Third Party...

Last edited by a moderator:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
honestly i'd personally be totally fine if Smash Ultimate was just updated for a long, long time instead of getting a new title.

I really would not be against a port of this game for future consoles.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'd be very suprised if :ultbayonetta: doesn't return. :ultsimon::ultrichter: also feel safe, since Konami is apparently very cool with the franchise.

KiBom

Smash Journeyman
If you did have to reboot the roster to a size of the original N64 series, who would be your choices for most likely. This would be mine I think.

Start:
Mario
Megaman
Sonic
Link
Pikachu
Villager
Inkling
Kirby

Unlockable:
Captain Falcon
Marth
Olimar
Pacman

Notable Cuts:
Samus
Donkey Kong
Ryu
Shulk

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
honestly i'd personally be totally fine if Smash Ultimate was just updated for a long, long time instead of getting a new title.

I really would not be against a port of this game for future consoles.
I mean, I'm the same way. If the next game cuts Snake and Cloud, I'd just go play Ultimate instead most likely, since they're running out of must-have newcomers that could get me to get the next game. They'd have to introduce modes and gameplay features that are sellers instead of roster additions.

I'd be very suprised if :ultbayonetta: doesn't return. :ultsimon::ultrichter: also feel safe, since Konami is apparently very cool with the franchise.
Bayo is safer than most. I dunno about Konami though... they could go up in flames tomorrow and I wouldn't be surprised.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
So basically Ultra Super Smash Bros Ultimate/Xrd Rev 2 updates? I'd be down with that. A reboot CAN be interesting but I don't want to lose what we have

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
Im fine with a Dragon Quest character making it in, but I wont lie ill be disappointed if its a Slime as iconic as they are. You can use any Sora image I just put that one because thats him making a funny face.

I did not know that Mario plans had been cancelled, hmm odd since people reported mario kart music coming from the pavilion where they were promoting wreck ralph 2. I know Disney and Nintendo are still going to promote the Switch together with some sort of trivia event. Other than that it could just be that the two company's are indifferent to each other right now. I have to say though Dragon Quest would be a gamble, but if it pays off. It would help at least generate some revenue and interest in Dragon Quest 11 for the Switch. With the hit that Square took recently in losing 33million it might help them out even if its a little.

Haha yeah I figured you would like the second and its ok I was unsure of the 3rd. I mean I do like it, but I had a hard time choosing the 3rd spot.
Well again, as someone who prefers cartoonish chars., it's the reason I'd prefer Slime. That's why Piranha was an instant pick to me.

Umm, someone just pointed that it was nothing relations related, said they just didn't find a spot for Mario in 2, also pointed that Bowser was in the first. So I guess my assumption was off..

Yeah I read they took a loss but boy I didn't know how much. 33Mil!? Why was that? A game didn't sell well? Also, you've probably already know, but seems someone important just got out of FF15, and they've canceled 3 out of 4 DLCs for that game too.(I think you mentioned that earlier).

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Honestly, I think we'll need a massive reboot of Smash. No cuts is exciting, but I don't think it'll have the same appeal the second time around. If anything, a few people might expect it and not care at all when it gets announced.

I know this isn't a popular opinion, but I think we should trim down the roster by 10-20 characters and put a heavier focus on adding several new and in-depth modes that would add more variety, like Subspace or Spirits. Yes, it would be a huge relief to get every character back in every Smash, but as the roster continues to grow, I feel like that would cost us a lot of content in other areas of the game. Stadium modes and Stage Builder were cut in Ultimate. Imagine an outcome worse than that five - seven years from now in the next Smash game just because we couldn't give up any of the roster.

D

Deleted member

Only one I feel is iffy is Cloud because as we all know, SE isn't the easiest to work with.
Capcom is being buddy buddy with Nintendo, Mega Man and the two ounching dudes will stay.
Konami needs as much good PR as they need as they're on thin ****ing ice.
Bamco lol Pac stays
Sega is also on good terms with Ninty, that damn hedgehog and the witch ain't going anywhere.

D

Deleted member

I have a little game to play.
Say, hypothetically, you were put in charge of the rest of the characters. You were told to choose 5 for Ultimate DLC, and then choose 20 more for future installments, bringing the character total to 100. Which 25 characters would "complete" the roster for you? (Please no judging other people's, it's their opinion.)
1. Rayman
2. Sora
3. Steve
4. Katalina
5. Edelgard
6. Geno
7. Banjo and Kazooie
8. Gunvolt
9. Chorus Kids
10. Giygas
11. Shade
12. Arle Nadja
13. Renamon
14. Spring Man
15. Bandana Dee
16. Waluigi
17. Isaac
18. Patra
19. Krystal
20. Balloon Fighter
21. Lottie (Isabelle Echo)
22. Shadow (Sonic Echo)
23. Zoroark (Lucario Echo)
24. Gooigi (Luigi Echo)
25. Zoe Trent
Not sure if this is going to catch on but whatever.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
So about the Spirits...

I'm liking this "(X) Details" option - do you think that gives a brief description of the character? The loss of trophies stings, but as lobg as we're able to get descriptions of the characters, I'll take it. Or is it just there to show which spirits are supports?

Also interesting set of spirits in the first place. Smeargle? Steelix? Skarmory? Love the Gen II representation.

I'm also really interested in these spirit battles

Imprisoned as a black K.Rool is something I wouldn't have thought of, but that's a great idea. Also, the idea of Assists just being hostile for specific batles (bet it's Ghirahim for this one) sounds awesome as well. I have a feeling some of the assists may be making more appearances than we expect.

I wonder if, since some assists are KOable, that their spirit unlocks will just pit you directly against the assist...

D

Deleted member

Sakurai: "we know characters are what the fans want so we did that"
Fans: "maybe cut 20 characters and add some modes maybe :/"

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Say, hypothetically, you were put in charge of the rest of the characters. You were told to choose 5 for Ultimate DLC, and then choose 20 more for future installments, bringing the character total to 100. Which 25 characters would "complete" the roster for you? (Please no judging other people's, it's their opinion.)
1. Rayman
2. Sora
3. Steve
4. Katalina
5. Edelgard
6. Geno
7. Banjo and Kazooie
8. Gunvolt
9. Chorus Kids
10. Giygas
11. Shade
12. Arle Nadja
13. Renamon
14. Spring Man
15. Bandana Dee
16. Waluigi
17. Isaac
18. Patra
19. Krystal
20. Balloon Fighter
22. Shadow (Sonic Echo)
24. Gooigi (Luigi Echo)
25. Zoe Trent
Eh, see my signature.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Sakurai: "we know characters are what the fans want so we did that"
Fans: "maybe cut 20 characters and add some modes maybe :/"
I'd like to see those fans. Everyone knows you don't actually play Smash. You open a bottle of wine, sit in front of the fireplace and gaze at the character selection screen.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
1. Rayman
2. Sora
3. Steve
4. Katalina
5. Edelgard
6. Geno
7. Banjo and Kazooie
8. Gunvolt
9. Chorus Kids
10. Giygas
11. Shade
12. Arle Nadja
13. Renamon
14. Spring Man
15. Bandana Dee
16. Waluigi
17. Isaac
18. Patra
19. Krystal
20. Balloon Fighter
22. Shadow (Sonic Echo)
24. Gooigi (Luigi Echo)
25. Zoe Trent
Oh lordy 25 more hmmm..

1. Sora
2. Riku (Sora Echo)
3. Ryu Hayabusa
4. Kasumi
5. Ayane (Kasumi or Ryu Hayabusa Echo)
6. Shantae
7. Shovel Knight (promotion)
8. Isaac (promotion)
9. Shadow (promotion)
10. Tails
11. Eggman (Tails Echo [take a guess as to how and why])
12. Waluigi (promotion)
13. Ashley (promotion)
14. Bandana Dee
15. Geno
16. Banjo and Kazooie
17. Doomguy
18. Steve (But only if he keeps out anything Fortnite related otherwise put in whoever you want here)
19. Chun Li
20. Dante
21. Nero (Dante Echo)
22. Jin Kazama
23. Kazuya Mishimia (Jin Echo)
24. Terry Bogard
25. Scorpion (not joking)

D

Deleted member

I would rather have more characters then modes but thats just me tbh I can see why other people want modes instead

KiBom

Smash Journeyman
1. Rayman
2. Sora
3. Steve
4. Katalina
5. Edelgard
6. Geno
7. Banjo and Kazooie
8. Gunvolt
9. Chorus Kids
10. Giygas
11. Shade
12. Arle Nadja
13. Renamon
14. Spring Man
15. Bandana Dee
16. Waluigi
17. Isaac
18. Patra
19. Krystal
20. Balloon Fighter
22. Shadow (Sonic Echo)
24. Gooigi (Luigi Echo)
25. Zoe Trent
I'd try and make every Smash fan happy, I think

1. Sora
2. Banjo & Kazooie
3. Dovahkiin
4. Bandana Dee
5. Geno
6. Waluigi
7. Shantae
8. Chorus Kids
9. Isaac
10. Ray 01
11. Spring Man
12. New Ganon Moveset
13. Paper Mario
14. Sans
15. Rayman
16. Slime
17. Ryu Hayabusa
18. Crash Bandicoot
19. Sylux
20. Shovel Knight
21. Shadow (Sonic Echo)
22. Black Shadow (Old Ganondorf)
23. Octolings (Inkling Echo)
24. Coco Bandicoot (Crash Echo)
25. Edit: Ashley

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Lucas' Backair also spikes so unless you mean in terms of sheer power that's not really a first
The way it looks and yes, power. It also seems easier since for Lucas it has to be hit in a decent spot for the spike (like DK or Yoshi's forward air) while K. Rool looks like he has a lot of leeway to get the spike (it seems like it happen almost at any point during the move)

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
to present my argument better, I don't want the era of Ultimate to end for a very long time, maybe ever. But Iff there's a new Smash game to come however many years down the line rather than cutting some content I'd rather everything be redone and new because otherwise it would be very bad tasting to just slim down what was considered ultimate.

On the other hand, if they can keep topping and adding to Ultimate's roster in a future game by some miracle that would obviously be superior to cuts or reboots. [Endless support for Ultimate > No cuts sequel to Ultimate >>> Complete Reboot >>>>>>> Sequel with cuts] is more my argument, and then it's just on if you're an optimist or a pessimist about Smash's legacy in the future

Also reboots are a lot more fun for mental exercise and solo speculation

Last edited:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
I'd try and make every Smash fan happy, I think

1. Sora
2. Banjo & Kazooie
3. Dovahkiin
4. Bandana Dee
5. Geno
6. Waluigi
7. Shantae
8. Chorus Kids
9. Isaac
10. Ray 01
11. Spring Man
12. New Ganon Moveset
13. Paper Mario
14. Sans
15. Rayman
16. Slime
17. Ryu Hayabusa
18. Crash Bandicoot
19. Sylux
20. Shovel Knight
21. Shadow (Sonic Echo)
22. Black Shadow (Old Ganondorf)
23. Octolings (Inkling Echo)
24. Coco Bandicoot (Crash Echo)
25. Suezo (ok that's just for me)
Well, it wouldn't make me happy...

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
"Ryu, I don't feel so good..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom