• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
There's no way Ultimate is gonna be beaten in terms of quality
They went all out with this game, and that's insane
Only way they can do better is if they go to Infinity and Beyond...Smash Infinite

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'll never defend Marvel vs Capcom Infinite because it done away with Viewtiful Joe.

D

Deleted member

Not having Doctor Doom in MvC Infinite was a sin.

They better bring him back if they make another one.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Not having Doctor Doom in MvC Infinite was a sin.

They better bring him back if they make another one.
Not as big of a sin as not having Wolverine, and having Venom behind a paywall. The two biggest names at Marvel Comics in spite of Joe Quesada and Mark Millar's disdain for them both.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I'll never defend Marvel vs Capcom Infinite because it done away with Viewtiful Joe.
and Phoenix Wright... and Amaterasu... and the X-men... and the amazing soundtrack...
Basically, they removed what made Marvel VS Capcom great in the first place, and replaced it with generic MCU inspired content because "We've got to have... money" or something like that...

osby

Smash Obsessed
I mean we haven't even played the game yet. It's looking like that right now, but let's not jump the gun.
Melee: Fast gameplay
Brawl: Big adventure mode
Smash For: Looks like actually balanced

I think we can say that, at least superficially.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Marvel vs Smash Bros Ultinfinite Directors Cut Special Edition 2020 Featuring Fat Yoshi from Devil May Cry 5

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
So about that mini direct... has it been disconfirmed or has it not?

I'm unsure, but I do believe that new first party titles aren't revealed through them, so I'm holding my tongue for a new F-Zero game to be announced there...

However, if it turns out to be a regular direct, or a direct based solely on the new game, then yeah that would be sweet.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
I don't think the missing xmen was fully on disney's part though.. In the comics the Xmen have been pushed aside for years since "Civil War Again but this time its with Avengers and Xmen because REAL heroes are constantly fighting each other instead of fighting crime." And the Fantastic Four have been getting the shaft even longer because nobody knows how to write "The First FAMILY of Superheroes."

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
So about that mini direct... has it been disconfirmed or has it not?

I'm unsure, but I do believe that new first party titles aren't revealed through them, so I'm holding my tongue for a new F-Zero game to be announced there...
Mario Tennis Aces was announced in a Nintendo Direct mini

osby

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, except Bayonetta is in. She is more sexual and more violent, including having (literally) twice as many guns.
So... No. This does not stand.
Bayonetta isn't really that sexual in Smash. Never mind Lara Croft wouldn't be in the first place, that's not an argument, since Smash can always tone characters down.

As for guns... Love is Blue and Scarborough Fair, as others said before, don't even look much like real guns. For Lara Croft, it might be an issue, since hers are supposed to be realistic to a degree.

D

Deleted member

I don't think the missing xmen was fully on disney's part though.. In the comics the Xmen have been pushed aside for years since "Civil War Again but this time its with Avengers and Xmen because REAL heroes are constantly fighting each other instead of fighting crime." And the Fantastic Four have been getting the shaft even longer because nobody knows how to write "The First FAMILY of Superheroes."
Someone does.

Pixar.

And Chip Zdarsky.

Last edited by a moderator:

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
I mean we haven't even played the game yet. It's looking like that right now, but let's not jump the gun.
*sees gun*
*jumps it*
Ultimate is gonna be the best Smash game ever. I'm seriously hoping that the communities behind each of the previous ones unite under the banner of Ultimate, even Melee. Probably the only thing keeping Melee from joining Ultimate is A. Melee's literally the most perfect game ever created and B. Wavedashing isn't as good in Ultimate as in Melee.

StormC

Smash Hero
Of the currently released Smash games, Brawl definitely wins in content and modes. The slower gameplay can be hard to come back to, though. I find myself revisiting Melee more often than Brawl, and Subspace Emissary is fun on the first playthrough but doesn't have a lot of replay value.

Smash 4 is going to be completely negated by Ultimate though and that's hilarious.

KiBom

Smash Journeyman
If RE gets in I kinda want both Claire and Leon to be playable. Either as costumes of the same fighter or as a duo somehow.

D

Deleted member

Of the currently released Smash games, Brawl definitely wins in content and modes. The slower gameplay can be hard to come back to, though. I find myself revisiting Melee more often than Brawl, and Subspace Emissary is fun on the first playthrough but doesn't have a lot of replay value.

Smash 4 is going to be completely negated by Ultimate though and that's hilarious.
Smash 3DS has the best Pac-Man stage doh.

osby

Smash Obsessed

Honestly, I'm glad Smash For exists because... well, if it wasn't for it, Ultimate likely wouldn't be a thing.

StormC

Smash Hero
Honestly, I'm glad Smash For exists because... well, if it wasn't for it, Ultimate likely wouldn't be a thing.
It was definitely a necessary stepping stone. I think Sakurai and the team learned a lot from it, and I got over 200 hours out of both versions of the game and all DLC, so I certainly got my money's worth and enjoyed the hell out of it. I just don't see myself revisiting it when basically everything worthwhile in the game will be in Ultimate... although, I did like Smash Run.

StormC

Smash Hero
Assuming it was feasible from a development and licensing standpoint... how would people feel if going forward, Smash games were like Ultimate, where they port the entire roster + DLC from the last game, then add half a dozen newcomers/echoes each? Or would we rather see a reboot that heavily reworks the gameplay with massive cuts and more new characters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom