• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I think we better see how well it does before coming to conclusions about its marketing.
It has already failed with the core Pokemon fanbase and that's what I'm talking about.
Imagine if E3 was just Incineroar's reveal and had no "EVERYONE IS HERE!". You think Ultimate would have been as hype then?

FalcoXP

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3205-1052-7736
My wishlist for Crash music in Smash:

-Main Theme (Crash Bandicoot Warped)
-N. Sanity Beach
-Main Theme (Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back)
-Generator Room (Crash 1)
-Hog Wild (Crash 1)
-Cortex Theme (All trilogy in one)
-Sunset Vista (Crash 1)
-Hang Eight (Cortex Strikes Back)
-Bear It (Crash 2)
-Rock it (Crash 2)
-Toad Village (Warped)
-Road Crash (Warped)
-Tomb Wander (Warped)
-N.Sanity Beach (Crash Twinsanity)
-Neo Cortex/Mecha Bandicoot (Twinsanity)
-Humilliskate (Twinsanity)
-Cortex and the Elementals battle (Wrath Of Cortex)

Note: the Warped theme includes the themes from all the bosses who appear there if my idea for a Warproom stage becomes a thing.
Would be cool to have Crash Team Racing music, the main theme and the Cortex Castle.

beans

Smash Lord
I just realized the best Final Smash possible for Dr. Mario:
Its a command grab, if he hits someone, the character wakes up in bathtub full of ice without its kidneys. Even better if its the black doctor pallete.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
VeggieTales has disconfirmed Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.
Larry Boy for Smash

-N. Sanity Beach
-Hog Wild (Crash 1)
-Sunset Vista (Crash 1)
-Bear It (Crash 2)
-Rock it (Crash 2)
-Toad Village (Warped)
-Road Crash (Warped)
-Tomb Wander (Warped)
-Crash Bandicoot Dance (Japanese Song)

Note: the Warped theme includes the themes from all the bosses who appear there if my idea for a Warproom stage becomes a thing.
You can't forget this classic from Twinsanity

D

Deleted member

I just realized the best Final Smash possible for Dr. Mario:
Its a command grab, if he hits someone, the character wakes up in bathtub full of ice without its kidneys. Even better if its the black doctor pallete.
Sounds like the ideal Final Smash for Dr. Amigo.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Hmmm well I'm surprised so many strong role models in Smash... Well no there's Bayo, but otherwise yeah?

Now that I think about it with :ultpiranha: here stuff like:

Doesn't seem so crazy

Last edited:

beans

Smash Lord

-N. Sanity Beach
-Hog Wild (Crash 1)
-Sunset Vista (Crash 1)
-Bear It (Crash 2)
-Rock it (Crash 2)
-Toad Village (Warped)
-Road Crash (Warped)
-Tomb Wander (Warped)

There should be one "4 AM Vocal mix" where its a random track but without instruments and someone making the sounds real time

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

-N. Sanity Beach
-Hog Wild (Crash 1)
-Sunset Vista (Crash 1)
-Bear It (Crash 2)
-Rock it (Crash 2)
-Toad Village (Warped)
-Road Crash (Warped)
-Tomb Wander (Warped)

Needs more Snow Go or it's a no go from me.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero

-N. Sanity Beach
-Hog Wild (Crash 1)
-Sunset Vista (Crash 1)
-Bear It (Crash 2)
-Rock it (Crash 2)
-Toad Village (Warped)
-Road Crash (Warped)
-Tomb Wander (Warped)

Oh yeah, that reminds me of the time I created a list of songs from the Shantae series I'd want to see in Smash. :p
I did this ages ago...
Dance Through the Danger (duh)
Neo Burning Town (I feel like this version of the theme best suits Smash)
The Nightmare Woods (Run Run Rottytops)
The Tenacious Tentacled Terror (Squid Baron)
Cape Crustacean (did you kill the racers because you thought it was mandatory?)
Yo, Go Crazy (More Squid Baron)
High Above Tassel Town (The Sky Bridge)
Bolo's Theme (Oh, Bolo!)
Final Boss (HGH)
Final Boss (PC)
Boss Battle (HGH)
Rottytop's Theme (Best girl)
Risky Boot's Theme (HGH)
ORLY YARLY (It sounds funny)
Day Travel (RR)
Let's Make a Meal (It's almost sounds as hectic as the Shantae thread sometimes :p)
Trip Through Sequin Land (I have no idea what to put here)
Scuttle Town (PC)
Streamworks (Saliva Island)
Back to the Roots (Cackle Tower)
Rave in the Grave (Zombie Island)
Cult of Personality (Those outfits though...)
Bran-Son (The hero Gotham needs!)
The Darkest Night (This track is so underrated!)
The Desolate Domain (Oubliette of Suffering)
The Floating Factory (Propeller Town)
DO U EVEN WHIP? (Yes that is the name of the song)
Credits (PC)
Uncle Mimic's Theme (HGH)
Counterfeit Mermaids (i don't really have to say anything here)
Barrel-O-Mermaids (the one with the slide)
Hypno Baron's Castle (the Slimegals are too adorable to kill...)
Risky's Hideout (Tinkerbat Factory)
Title (GBC)
Zombie Town (My girl Rotty)
Bandit Town (It's a town... and there's bandits in it)
Risky Boots Battle (GBC)

I hope you like it. :)

Pakky

Smash Hero

The reason why this game should just be kept and ported as a platform and updated in the future

Why would you want to lose someone this clean? :ultyounglink::ultyounglink:

Last edited:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
World just did over 10 million worldwide and Generation Ultimate opened to 'robust sales' according to Capcom despite being a late port, so it's probably relatively not too far off in popularity in the west as it is in Japan nowadays.

As for Ancestral Steppe, since it's not an actual stage currently maybe it could be repurposed, though I could see them forego it for something from World as well.
That definitely would be good if MH keeps doing decently well like that.

At this point, I probably would considering the stage boss arena for Rathalos in Spirits/World of Light or something, though I could be wrong. Regardless, I'm still hoping MH is a character choice, and I'd probably even put him/her in top 3 over Bowser if it happened.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
I was thinking last night, picturing the whole roster in my head. And I realized something.
Everyone in Smash, every single character, deserved to be in. Even Lucina, Dr. Mario, the other Links, and Bayo. They all deserved it.
I hope that everyone else can have the same epiphany sometime.
Regardless of who deserves it, on the topic of DLC, we are getting 6 brand new characters with 6 new playstyles. We currently have ~70 unique playstyles and we are somehow getting even more than this. In addition, each of these returning characters play significantly different from their older counterparts due to the change in the games physics and the updates to each moveset (Ex: Link and Ganondorf, etc)

People will complain about representation and who deserves it more but we are somehow getting 6 more unique ****ing characters and I can't even fathom that right now lol.

D

Deleted member

Regardless of who deserves it, on the topic of DLC, we are getting 6 brand new characters with 6 new playstyles. We currently have ~70 unique playstyles and we are somehow getting even more than this. In addition, each of these returning characters play significantly different from their older counterparts due to the change in the games physics and the updates to each moveset (Ex: Link and Ganondorf, etc)

People will complain about representation and who deserves it more but we are somehow getting 6 more unique ****ing characters and I can't even fathom that right now lol.
Thank you! Someone else gets it.

Also, off topic: I'm currently making a YTP called Super Smash Bears: Big Blue House of Light. It's gonna have a lot of Nintendo jokes of course. I might post it in the social.

Pakky

Smash Hero

Honestly I've been taking a step back myself and coming to terms with the fact that their are 69 right now...

Number's hilarity aside that's HUGE for a game to launch with.

Look at any version of Marvel and you will find deception in the roster count as the clones there as well as in many other games are indeed CLONES.

In smash, clones, even the ones that are true clones are met with the * of "well kinda but not really cuz _____".

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion

The reason why this game should just be kept and ported as a platform and updated in the future

Why would you want to lose someone this clean? :ultyounglink::ultyounglink:
I have a little hope in this actually, or rather we may see extended support beyond the fighters pass. Why?

Because of DragonBall Xenoverse 2, another game made by Bamco. That game has gone above and beyond the currently lineup of support, and still somehow manages to develop and add characters constantly EVEN NOW, nearly 4 years after the game was released. Granted, it's only a few characters per DLC, but even at the slowed progression of it, the game still feels fresh over time because of it.

I actually feel like they may go this route with Ultimate, where every year we get 1-2 addition characters and even echo fighters added via updates or paid DLC separate from the fighters pass.

We'll see though.

FalcoXP

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3205-1052-7736
I have a little hope in this actually, or rather we may see extended support beyond the fighters pass. Why?

Because of DragonBall Xenoverse 2, another game made by Bamco. That game has gone above and beyond the currently lineup of support, and still somehow manages to develop and add characters constantly EVEN NOW, nearly 4 years after the game was released. Granted, it's only a few characters per DLC, but even at the slowed progression of it, the game still feels fresh over time because of it.

I actually feel like they may go this route with Ultimate, where every year we get 1-2 addition characters and even echo fighters added via updates or paid DLC separate from the fighters pass.

We'll see though.
Yeah, at this point would be silly to waste all that work and make another Smash from scratch.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Yeah, at this point would be silly to waste all that work and make another Smash from scratch.
My whole thing is I don't even know how they can even top this one. Smash isn't a series that can add serious revamps to the gameplay without alienating the fan base, but if the series is subjected to cuts again, it's just going to cause backlash. I'd rather them support this one for 5+ years, rerelease it on next system with even more characters one day and support it for as long as possible. A new smash might have to take a totally different approach that I'm not sure everyone would be on board with.

Anyway I feel like Nintendo knows this when they decided to make this game. It's going to be immensely difficult to top it, so why not support the game for a few more years than normal? Also up to Sakurai though, would he even work on this game for another 3-4 years?

Last edited:

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
My whole thing is I don't even know how they can even top this one. Smash isn't a series that can add serious revamps the gameplay without alienating the fan base, but if the series is subjected to cuts again, it's just going to cause backlash. I'd rather them support this one for 5+ years, rerelease it on next system with even more characters one day and support it for as long as possible. A new smash might have to take a totally different approach that I'm not sure everyone would be on board with.

Anyway I feel like Nintendo knows this when they decided to make this game. It's going to be immensely difficult to top it, so why not support the game for a few more years than normal? Also up to Sakurai though, would he even work on this game for another 3-4 years?
It's like I've been saying for the better portion of my life at this point: we need. smash. party games.

Give us Smash Kart where Link races Epona against the Blue Falcon. Give us a Smash Sports game, or a Smash Party, or literally anything else Smash so we can get more characters crossed over without stress over Smash Bros' exclusive character slots. There's so much room for Nintendo crossover outside of a fighting game, but other than Smash Bros. we get, like, Mario Kart 8 and Nintendo Land, and those aren't very proper

(that being said I am on team do a full reboot of Smash with a Smash 4 size roster where everything old is scrapped)

Last edited:

FalcoXP

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3205-1052-7736
My whole thing is I don't even know how they can even top this one. Smash isn't a series that can add serious revamps to the gameplay without alienating the fan base, but if the series is subjected to cuts again, it's just going to cause backlash. I'd rather them support this one for 5+ years, rerelease it on next system with even more characters one day and support it for as long as possible. A new smash might have to take a totally different approach that I'm not sure everyone would be on board with.

"I wonder if I'll ever get a break?" intensifies

D

Deleted member

I don’t find any reason to make a reboot after Ultimate.

The idea of a reboot is to start back from scratch to fix mistakes or things wrong on the original product. That was the reason that made Batman Begins a huge deal back then: they made that movie to take back the dignity of the franchise in the movie industry after Batman & Robin killed the original series.

Smash doesn’t have that problem: while Brawl is for some the weakest entry, Smash as a whole hasn’t beeen ruined or given a bad reputation from any decission during the run of it.

Unless Ultimate ends up being a failure and an awful game (which won’t probably happen), there isn’t any need for a reboot.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

The idea of a reboot is to start back from scratch to fix mistakes or things wrong on the original product. That was the reason that made Batman Begins a huge deal back then: they made that movie to take back the dignity of the franchise in the movie industry after Batman & Robin killed the original series.

Smash doesn’t have that problem: while Brawl is for some the weakest entry, Smash as a whole hasn’t beeen ruined or given a bad reputation from any decission during the run of it.

Unless Ultimate ends up being a failure and an awful game (which won’t probably happen), there isn’t any need for a reboot.
A franchise being rebooted doesn't necessarily mean there's anything wrong with the other entries, it can also act as a way to change and breathe new life into an old concept and try new things with it. Just cause Tomb Raider, or Prince of Persia or DMC were rebooted doesn't mean the other games were bad, they're just very different in terms of narrative, gameplay and art style.

Last edited:

FalcoXP

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3205-1052-7736

Brawl was good in my opinion, and visiting Smash Dojo every morning to see Smash news was dope back then, but well, I was like 12/13 yo when it came, so maybe that's why im biased.

osby

Smash Obsessed

Every Smash game overall got >90% critically. Even the worst selling entries considered pretty good on their own. People can say Brawl was bad or For wasn't hype, but in the end it's a franchise with almost perfect track record.

EDIT: Also Brawl was good, you guys just are mean.

Last edited:

KiBom

Smash Journeyman
Smash definitely feels like a perfect candidate for the games as a service model that so many have been trying to force on games that don't.

D

Deleted member

Every Smash game overall got >90% critically. Even the worst selling entries considered pretty good on their own. People can say Brawl was bad or For wasn't hype, but in the end it's a franchise with almost perfect track record.

Brawl was better than Melee

FIGHT ME.

Last edited by a moderator:

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
I think Brawl and Melee break pretty close to even for me, I can't bring myself to say one is better than the other. I've got so many good memories from both and I play both of them more than Sm4sh

lltacx

Smash Journeyman
Today i was going through my old stuff and i saw my copy of Viewtiful Joe for the gamecube, obviously i started playing it again. I remember back then i really wanted and expected him in Brawl. I wonder why that never came to be and why he has no new games coming out... i miss Joe

D

Deleted member

Of course.
For that alone, there’s no need for a reboot.

There are franchises that got good reboots because they needed them (Rayman Origins to kill the lock of the franchise with the Rabbits, Conker’s Bad Fur Day to feel different to other Collect-a-thons, DKC to give more use and interest to the Kong and even Doom 2016 is an example of a good reboot).

D

Deleted member

Brawl was good in my opinion, and visiting Smash Dojo every morning to see Smash news was dope back then, but well, I was like 12/13 yo when it came, so maybe that's why im biased.
I like Brawl too.

Slow, but with neat content and trophies.

FalcoXP

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3205-1052-7736

FIGHT ME.
Well, I used to play Melee when I was 10 lol, I have good memories from my childhood playing that game with my friends.
And Brawl was fun too, and made me leave my "Nintendo Fanboy" mode 'cause it made me play Metal Gear and other platform games.

I think that both are good games, it's hard to me to decide which one is better lol.

The only smash that didnt truly enjoy was Smash 4, tho, but thats more like my opinion (and the fact that was a college student without money to buy the DLC lol).

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
It all makes sense now...
Uprising Lore
Larry-Boy theme song remix confirmed
It's like I've been saying for the better portion of my life at this point: we need. smash. party games.

Give us Smash Kart where Link races Epona against the Blue Falcon. Give us a Smash Sports game, or a Smash Party, or literally anything else Smash so we can get more characters crossed over without stress over Smash Bros' exclusive character slots. There's so much room for Nintendo crossover outside of a fighting game, but other than Smash Bros. we get, like, Mario Kart 8 and Nintendo Land, and those aren't very proper

(that being said I am on team do a full reboot of Smash with a Smash 4 size roster where everything old is scrapped)
Mario Kart is proper and perfection...and always will be

FIGHT ME.
Ultimate is better than all

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Today i was going through my old stuff and i saw my copy of Viewtiful Joe for the gamecube, obviously i started playing it again. I remember back then i really wanted and expected him in Brawl. I wonder why that never came to be and why he has no new games coming out... i miss Joe
Eternal mood. He was my third Brawl want. I at least wanted a third mainline game...I've played every VJ game, even Red Hot Rumble and Double Trouble.

He'd make an amazing assist trophy if nothing else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom