• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Was waiting for you to come back and **** my **** up TPC

I don't know why you would imagine that when Sakurai has stated numerous times he understands how badly people want Geno
I don't know why we have to go against his word on this one small thing you get?
It's very, very obvious a large amount of people want Geno, enough for Sakurai to notice.
You know me.

tenor (1).gif

I will admit I forgot about Sakurai's statement about Geno's demand though. I still believe that Geno's fans conflate his popularity and make it seem like more than it actually is, however.
Sora would not benefit Nintendo, it'd really only benefit Squenix.
I'd replace Sora with a DQ rep here. Sora's still in the running but DQ seems more likely.
Here's the sad truth.

With Nintendo being the one to handle negotiations and not Sakurai, I doubt they'd be able to pull something off with Disney. Sakurai and Normura together would've been our best shot, but alas. Unless Nintendo worked something out with Square Enix to have Kingdom Hearts 3 or 1.5 + 2.5 (+ 2.8) on Switch, or Nintendo and Disney managed to work something something out, or maybe he overperformed on the Ballot similar to Simon and that was what convinced Nintendo to go after him and Disney to put him in, but I'm beginning to doubt Sora's inclusion.

I'm sorry Sora and Spawn Wave bros, but our boy likely won't come home.

Anyways, how long do you guys think it'll be until the full DLC list leaks? I'm sure Vergeben and other insiders already have at least some of the characters, so how long until we know all of them?

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
Nah it's possible.
He does have a greatsword weapon he can use...

It'd just be... ridiculously stupid.
I mean he can use a greatsword, but that's not the weapon he's known for so it'd come across as incredibly lazy. Might as well put him over Fox too since he can also use guns.

But I totally agree. Noctis as a Cloud echo would be the stupidest thing ever.

DeniroSerafim

Smash Apprentice
For those of you who care, do you think Nintendo themselves choosing the DLC roster bodes well for characters like Dixie or Bandana Dee? I feel like Nintendo may want to stick to first party characters mostly, and these two obviously fit the bill. I could see Nintendo's good relationships with Ubisoft and Bethesda affect the DLC honestly, this may bode well for characters like Rayman and Doom Slayer.

D

Deleted member

THUG2 doesn't do Eric Sparrow justice so 0/10.
ERIC SPARROW WAS A ****ING ****.

He GOT what he deserved in THUG 2, that should be enough. Y'know what, **** it, Eric Sparrow for Smash.

D

Deleted member

Anyways, how long do you guys think it'll be until the full DLC list leaks? I'm sure Vergeben and other insiders already have at least some of the characters, so how long until we know all of them?
Probably around the point when :ultpiranha: drops, since work will probably have ramped up on the other DLC characters around that time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
You know me.

View attachment 176359

I will admit I forgot about Sakurai's statement about Geno's demand though. I still believe that Geno's fans conflate his popularity and make it seem like more than it actually is, however.

Here's the sad truth.

With Nintendo being the one to handle negotiations and not Sakurai, I doubt they'd be able to pull something off with Disney. Sakurai and Normura together would've been our best shot, but alas. Unless Nintendo worked something out with Square Enix to have Kingdom Hearts 3 or 1.5 + 2.5 (+ 2.8) on Switch, or Nintendo and Disney managed to work something something out, or maybe he overperformed on the Ballot similar to Simon and that was what convinced Nintendo to go after him and Disney to put him in, but I'm beginning to doubt Sora's inclusion.

Hey.

Hey.

TPC.

Don't you ever give up. You ain't that type of guy I've come to know you. Don't throw it in like I have. There's still a shot. Bigger than Geno's. You got this.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
For those of you who care, do you think Nintendo themselves choosing the DLC roster bodes well for characters like Dixie or Bandana Dee? I feel like Nintendo may want to stick to first party characters mostly, and these two obviously fit the bill. I could see Nintendo's good relationships with Ubisoft and Bethesda affect the DLC honestly, this may bode well for characters like Rayman and Doom Slayer.
I think it potentially bodes well for Bandana Dee, but not Dixie Kong.

It sure bodes well for upcoming promotional characters though. Except Rex. Poor dude. Too early to be base roster and too late to be DLC.

F

FixedFun

Smash Apprentice
This are my DLC predictions, based on a looooot of research and data
1) Marina from Mischief Makers, as the Square-Enix rep

2) Ayumi Tachibana from Famicom Detective Club series.

3) Itoi Shigesato, creator of the Mother series, from Itoi Shigesato no Bass Tsuri No. 1

4) Ricky Winterborn from the Snowboarding series

5) Tin Star from Tinstar

And that's all, no Waluigi, Sora or Geno, those are the new characters chosen by Nintendo.
I can lists my sources (I have insiders) if you want.

Last edited:

Potato_

Smash Lord
And would flat out sell KH3, which isn't on the Switch, to so many more
I think you're blowing the amount of people who would buy Smash just for Sora way outta proportion, as I am probably for people who would buy KH3 due to Sora. But either way it seems risky for Nintendo.
Maybe I am, but you get my point.

Remember they gained no promotion from putting in Cloud. They put him in because he's a huge name, and a huge name like that sells DLC. It doesn't even have to be Sora specifically, you can use Steve for this example. Characters that are instantly recognizable to a large amount of people.

I do think it's a possibility that one or two of these characters even targets the hardcore crowd. Point is DLC atm isn't complete doom and gloom, it's unlikely that ALL of these slots go to promotional characters like Edelgard, Sylux, King Boo, or whatever other big release Nintendo has. We should wait.

I think it potentially bodes well for Bandana Dee, but not Dixie Kong.

It sure bodes well for upcoming promotional characters though. Except Rex. Poor dude. Too early to be base roster and too late to be DLC.

F
Dude didn't even get an Assist. And ARMS did.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Might be. If Bethesda factors into anything, I know a certain user here that would be very happy.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

Remember they gained no promotion from putting in Cloud. They put him in because he's a huge name, and a huge name like that sells DLC. It doesn't even have to be Sora specifically, you can use Steve for this example. Characters that are instantly recognizable to a large amount of people.

I do think it's a possibility that one or two of these characters even targets the hardcore crowd. Point is DLC atm isn't complete doom and gloom, it's unlikely that ALL of these slots go to promotional characters like Edelgard, Sylux, King Boo, or whatever other big release Nintendo has.
Squenix didn't really gain anything either is the thing.
FF7 remake still hasn't been released. Nintendo gained a ton of money. Squenix gained a ton of money. Both won equally.

With Sora Squenix would take it all home. Nintendo wouldn't get too much at all.

Oh it's not gonna be all promotional and whoever thinks that is silly. I just don't know who.

D

Deleted member

3) Itoi Shigesato, creator of the Mother series, from Itoi Shigesato no Bass Tsuri No. 1
Itoi over Toby Fox just feels wrong, especially with how successful his Mother reboot has been.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

You know me.

View attachment 176359

Here's the sad truth.

Wait a minute... You're DOUBTING Sora now?! Our resident Sora supporter now is beginning to lose faith? HOW DOES THIS RIDE KEEP GETTING CRAZIER???

0o0.png

FixedFun

Smash Apprentice
Itoi over Toby Fox just feels wrong, especially with how successful his Mother reboot has been.
Sakurai is biased, since Itoi helped him with the first game, in fact, that's why I think Sans has also some possibilities...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

5) Tin Star from Tinstar

And that's all, no Waluigi, Sora or Geno, those are the new characters chosen by Nintendo.
Look, I like Tin Star's game, I do, but even I don't think he'd get into Smash Bros. Ricky would be rad though.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Alright here's another tinfoil Geno Theory:

Geno is from a 20 something-year-old game. Vergeben's "That's not to say Geno isn't a name I've heard, though" statement makes it seem likely Geno is on his list. Why would Square Enix care about Geno if he's obscure; why use him as a fake name over other characters? If they didn't see large fan-demand nor had any plans for him to be used in Smash or anything else, then why throw his name out there at all? They may as well see him as an obvious fake name and not bother using him as one.

I'm not bashing Geno, but looking at him from what may be SE's point of view. So, we're either getting Sora, DQ, or Geno regardless, but if we don't get Geno, at least it seems SE or some SE higher-ups at least care about him.

inb4 Verge's sources were messing with him.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

Geno is from a 20 something-year-old game. Vergeben's "That's not to say Geno isn't a name I've heard, though" statement makes it seem likely Geno is on his list. Why would Square Enix care about Geno if he's obscure; why use him as a fake name over other characters? If they didn't see large fan-demand nor had any plans for him to be used in Smash or anything else, then why throw his name out there at all? They may as well see him as an obvious fake name and not bother using him as one.

I'm not bashing Geno, but looking at him from what may be SE's point of view. So, we're either getting Sora, DQ, or Geno regardless, but if we don't get Geno, at least it seems SE or some SE higher-ups at least care about him.
Big leap. Verge is just the kind of guy not to outright deconfirm or confirm something like that. Let's not pretend that confirms he's on the list.

Potato_

Smash Lord
At this point I can't wait to figure out who the first DLC fighter is, cause right now everything's up in the air. Makes for a good surprise.

Really hope the VGA's reveal is true.

Last edited:

NapoleonDos

Smash Cadet

inb4 Verge's sources were messing with him.
Why the hell dont people mention Lara?!

Mrs.Milky

Smash Ace

5) Tin Star from Tinstar

Wait, are these predictions or a leak? Because you went from saying they're your predictions to having insiders oof.
Edit: oof wait this is a joke :0

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I am curious if just Nintendo of Japan were the only ones who "made" the DLC?

Perhaps NoA had some play? Maybe NoE too?

Could you imagine all of them coming together to make the DLC and let Sakurai have a pick of their characters? This could be a possibility?

Something to consider. Sakurai could have had a list from NoJ, NoA and NoE and had to pick 5 fighters.

Just speculation.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
I think people are blowing the tweet out of proportion. Nintendo has seen the results of the Ballot. They know which characters are fan favorites. They know what fans are willing to shell out their hard-earned money for. I wouldn't worry too much.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Big leap. Verge is just the kind of guy not to outright deconfirm or confirm something like that. Let's not pretend that confirms he's on the list.
True, I just figured he wouldn't bother speculating about Geno or saying that if he hasn't heard his name at all.

Of course...*takes off tinfoil hat*

Alright I'm ready for disappointment now.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

I do think it's a possibility that one or two of these characters even targets the hardcore crowd. Point is DLC atm isn't complete doom and gloom, it's unlikely that ALL of these slots go to promotional characters like Edelgard, Sylux, King Boo, or whatever other big release Nintendo has.
"They" being Sakurai and his team. Nintendo is the one who made the decisions this time.

Nintendo can choose characters that are promotional and recognizable, and that's what you want to aim for. However, there's going to be definite sway towards promotional characters. It's like Machiavelli's The Prince:
It is better to be promotional than recognizable, if you cannot be both.
Hey.

Hey.

TPC.

Don't you ever give up. You ain't that type of guy I've come to know you. Don't throw it in like I have. There's still a shot. Bigger than Geno's. You got this.
I appreciate it, but looking at it objectively why would Nintendo choose Sora over a DQ rep? Dragon Quest is a massive series and Dragon Quest 11 is a smash hit on Nintendo Switch, and what better way to give it a promotional boost than through Smash?

Unless Nintendo worked something out with Square and Disney to get Kingdom Hearts on the Switch, or Sora performed exceptionally well in the Ballot—enough so to make up for his lack of material to promote on a Nintendo console (something I would say is unlikely, as to offset it would be difficult enough)—it's plain unlikely. And I know Spawn Wave is teasing Sora, but it could easily be attributed to misinformation, or, he could just be wrong for once. It remains to be seen I guess.

If I had to guess, here's our DLC lineup:
  • Square Enix Rep (70% Dragon Quest Rep/20% Sora/10% Geno)
  • Capcom Rep (85% Monster Hunter/15% Phoenix Wright)
  • Steve (Sorry Banjo fans)
  • DOOM Guy
  • Nintendo Rep (Edelgard, Melmetal, Rex and Pyra, Bandana Dee, New IP character, etc) OR Shin Megami Tensei 5 Protagonist
Funny thing is this might bode well for Shin Megami Tensei representation, as SMT 5 comes out exclusively for Switch eventually. Once Sora is either confirmed or disconfirmed I'll definitely jump over to supporting SMT.
Wait a minute... You're DOUBTING Sora now?! Our resident Sora supporter now is beginning to lose faith? HOW DOES THIS RIDE KEEP GETTING CRAZIER???

View attachment 176362
Gotta pick your battles, you know?

Last edited:

FixedFun

Smash Apprentice
I just have a REAL question, who is Nintendo? I don't understand that part, the president? Miyamoto? Reggie? Wario? A cat? A group of old people? Everyone not involved with Smash? I'd like to know...

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
"They" being Sakurai and his team. Nintendo is the one who made the decisions this time.

Nintendo can choose characters that are promotional and recognizable, and that's what you want to aim for. However, there's going to be definite sway towards promotional characters. It's like Machiavelli's The Prince:

I appreciate it, but looking at it objectively why would Nintendo choose Sora over a DQ rep? Dragon Quest is a massive series and Dragon Quest 11 is a smash hit on Nintendo Switch, and what better way to give it a promotional boost than through Smash?

Unless Nintendo worked something out with Square and Disney to get Kingdom Hearts on the Switch, or Sora performed exceptionally well in the Ballot—enough so to make up for his lack of material to promote on a Nintendo console (something I would say is unlikely, as to offset it would be difficult enough)—it's plain unlikely. And I know Spawn Wave is teasing Sora, but it could easily be attributed to misinformation, or, he could just be wrong for once. It remains to be seen I guess.

If I had to guess, here's our DLC lineup:
  • Square Enix Rep (70% Dragon Quest Rep/20% Sora/10% Geno)
  • Capcom Rep (85% Monster Hunter/15% Phoenix Wright)
  • Steve (Sorry Banjo fans)
  • DOOM Guy
  • Nintendo Rep (Edelgard, Melmetal, Rex and Pyra, Bandana Dee, New IP character, etc) OR Shin Megami Tensei 5 Protagonist
Funny thing is this might bode well for Shin Megami Tensei representation, as SMT 5 comes out exclusively for Switch eventually. Once Sora is either confirmed or disconfirmed I'll definitely jump over to supporting SMT.

Gotta pick your battles, you know?
Alright I know I just encouraged you like we're in a shonen but how is Sora more likely than Geno at this point?
I'd like to ask just so you can get me back down to earth.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
THAT INCINEROAR SKIT THOUGH

I'M ****ING :110: OVER HERE

what tweets?
All of the DLC characters were chosen by Nintendo, not Sakurai

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I am curious if just Nintendo of Japan were the only ones who "made" the DLC?

Perhaps NoA had some play? Maybe NoE too?

Could you imagine all of them coming together to make the DLC and let Sakurai have a pick of their characters? This could be a possibility?

Something to consider. Sakurai could have had a list from NoJ, NoA and NoE and had to pick 5 fighters.

Just speculation.
If NoE had a say in the list of characters, maybe Professor Layton could be a potential pick due to his higher popularity in Europe, but that's probably just me getting my hopes up to much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom