• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
The only fighter we know in the past that Nintendo decided for Smash was Corrin. So Nintendo picking the fighters is bad news in my eyes.

Even when Sakurai chose characters people didn't ask for like Wii Fit Trainer or Piranha Plant, they quickly grew on people because of how strange they are as fighters. Sakurai picks either popular characters or the absolute most unique ones.

I don't really trust Nintendo themselves to do the same.
Tmk the other people on the Smash team were the ones who convinced Sakurai to add Corrin, not Nintendo.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Warchamp7 Warchamp7
Apparently, there are unique stock icons for the individual Mii Fighters, just as there were in Smash 4. They can be seen in the help menu.

Will we be getting those as smilies once the game comes out to go along with the mii head icon? Just wondering.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
The only fighter we know in the past that Nintendo decided for Smash was Corrin. So Nintendo picking the fighters is bad news in my eyes.

Even when Sakurai chose characters people didn't ask for like Wii Fit Trainer or Piranha Plant, they quickly grew on people because of how strange they are as fighters. Sakurai picks either popular characters or the absolute most unique ones.

Is this actually the case? I was under the impression that Sakurai and his team ultimately picked Corrin, not Nintendo forcing Sakurai to add them to Smash 4.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Tmk the other people on the Smash team were the ones who convinced Sakurai to add Corrin, not Nintendo.
I thought it was the FE team
I am a bit surprised. I never thought I would see the day where a reptile is not number 1 newcomer on your list.
He's still from Yoshi...
Not really too far out of his court there

D

Deleted member

Except no, that never happened at all.

Sakurai and the dev team went out of their own volition to create Corrin, NOT Nintendo. There's been interviews that prove that point that it was him that pushed Corrin.

D

Deleted member

Here, lemme just add this for people so this thread can maybe calm down a bit.

There, I made it bold and REALLY big so that people can maybe chill out a bit before lynching Nintendo and Sakurai.
Should probably put it in a nice popping color like bright red, make sure people really understand.
Is this actually the case? I was under the impression that Sakurai and his team ultimately picked Corrin, not Nintendo forcing Sakurai to add them to Smash 4.
Nintendo Everything said:
Moving on to Corrin, Sakurai mentions that since they’ve been making DLC for Smash Bros. Wii U and 3DS, they’ve been thinking about adding a character from a title that’s about to or just saw release. The game of choice here falls to Fire Emblem Fates, which came out in Japan back in June and will be heading west in February. Sakurai writes that he himself thought they were adding too many characters from Fire Emblem, but after speaking with the development staff, he was assured that Corrin would make for an interesting fighter.
Delicious Sauce. In the end Sakurai and his team chose Corrin, Nintendo likely had little to no involvement.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion

There, I made it bold and REALLY big so that people can maybe chill out a bit before lynching Nintendo and Sakurai.
Who said anyone was gonna lynch Sakurai? He gave us a warning practically. As for why people are worried, read between the lines up there. Nintendo gives Sakurai a list of characters they want. This means they will ONLY choose characters they think will make bank for them, no Darkhorses allowed. Whatever Sakurai doesn't like, he'll shred the list down until he finds something he'll sit by with. Otherwise, he doesn't actually have a choice in the matter. It's more of an ultimatum.

The only hope anyone has for any character they'd love to have playable is if that character is tied to a game that's getting a port or a sequel of some kind to coincide with their reveal, similar to Isabelle, as NineS NineS pointed out.

Something something Lucina something something hope will never die something.
I feel defeated and yet I still got: Negative Nancy!
[cue Megaman-style weapon-get demonstration]

Last edited:

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
Since a fraggin' piranha plant is a fighter the ' we'll see if X character can offer a moveset' argument sounds like a joke. :p Just some imagination more, it's not a problem, really.
Sakurai choosing whatever he wants, as always.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So since Nintendo is choosing who will be DLC. How many third parties should we expect? I would definitely think among them would be Rayman Screw Rabbids considering their good relationship with Ubisoft and how he appeared as a trophy in Sm4sh. He also survived the Assist and Spirit Snap.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Okay my predictions:
  1. Noctis - I feel like Nintendo will prioritize business relationships with the DLC, rewarding companies that have supported the Switch so far (or will be soon), while trying to find some way to incorporate fan popularity in there. Of the pool of Square characters, I think Noctis is as close to a balance between the two variables.
  2. Rayman - Same as above. Ubisoft loves the console and have done excellent with Nintendo IP in both Rabbids and Starlink. Also they made notice of a Rabbid Peach sticker but not Rayman. #hmmm
  3. Edelgard or Sylux - Edelgard if Prime 4 is a 2020 title, otherwise Sylux (assumign Sylux is in Prime 4). Some sort of advertising character makes sense for DLC, especially for Nintendo's biggest 2019 titles.
  4. Doomguy - Doom port was a big deal for Nintendo last year (alongside Wolf 2), and Doom Eternal is coming to Switch next year, so this covers a few elements. This is also more of a 'western' pick to contrast with Noctis being more popular in Japan.
  5. Steve - Feels like the closest to a guarantee, given how much Nintendo loves working with Minecraft (they made a big deal about it coming to Wii U, 3DS and Switch, and gave it a 3DS bundle which is strange treatment for a third party title for Nintendo). This title is huge and I think they would be dumb not to incorporate it.
inb4 i go 0/5

TimidKitsune129

Falling into Infinity
NNID
TimidKitsune129
I’d be completely fine with more “Corrin” picks, whatever that’s supposed to mean.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
WAIT A MINUTE

THE CREATOR OF WAVE RACE TEASED A NEW GAME FOR SWITCH

NINTENDO MIGHT PICK PROMOTIONAL DLC

YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS
Hopefully this means that we can get the F-Zero and Wave Race solidarity for two racing games that haven't seen action since the GameCube

ThreeT

Smash Apprentice
People are sleeping on King Boo.
We just had a Luigi's Mansion port.
Luigi's Mansion 3 is on the way.

I don't know about you, but I'm thinking he's in.
King Boo.png

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Hopefully this means that we can get the F-Zero and Wave Race solidarity for two racing games that haven't seen action since the GameCube
We need a Wave Race F-Zero crossover... Somehow...
I’d be completely fine with more “Corrin” picks, whatever that’s supposed to mean.
I think it means characters that were chosen to promote an upcoming game

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Should probably put it in a nice popping color like bright red, make sure people really understand.

Delicious Sauce. In the end Sakurai and his team chose Corrin, Nintendo likely had little to no involvement.
And then in the aftermath, he went "well, that's the last time I do THAT...".

NetBackdraft.jpg

So it's a good thing PP mostly got received better, considering.

Kaeltor

Smash Apprentice
IMO Nintendo will pick DLCs that make them the most money. Meaning a lot of niche fan favorites are less likely now.

Lynn Eslie

Smash Apprentice
Interesting... very interesting. I don't doubt that Nintendo has had some hand in character selection in the past, but to know they were in charge of presenting options (even if Sakurai held the right of Veto) certainly frames thing much differently.

Specifically in regards to the "Tales of" series, Sakurai believe Lloyd to be the best fit served as a rallying cry that allowed the community to focus their energies... but it's hard to say if Nintendo would feel the same. Given Vesperia is coming to the Switch, and Yuri is overwhelmingly popular in the community, things now seem far less definite on that front.

Dude, I thought I was the only one.
Seriously we know jack **** about her other than she can use an axe. The support for her just seems so surface-level...
Honestly? Yes. All I personally know about Edelgard as a character is what she looks like and what weapon she uses. Nothing more, nothing less. That said, I like the design. I like the way she dresses like a noble scion on a civil mission of diplomacy, but carries around a giant greataxe. She looks fun. She looks like a character I would personally play even if I had no idea where she was from or what her story was about.

I'm all for a character who is exceedingly well dressed, well groomed, and appears quite feminine... who then contrasts that prim-and-proper appearance by carrying a weapon culturally symbolic of raw might and uncouth brutality. That alone suggests a character who is expected to present in one way, yet holds ideals that run counter to those pressures. It is, of course, exactly the kind of surface level interest you've been noting, but I'm ok with that.

You know what? This gives me a bit of hope for KOS-MOS. If the Xenosaga Trilogy Remaster happens, it could potentially coincide with her announcement ala Isabelle as well. Plus, Namco's like one-half of Ultimate's development, so I could see this be Namco/Monolithsoft's way of selling the Switch userbase a "Xeno-port" of sorts that isn't Xenoblade Chronicles X atm (since supposedly, it's "hard to port over").

Don't mind me, just juggling some thoughts here and there.
Oh, certainly. I'm bias, that much is known, but this news doesn't concern me as a KOS-MOS supporter. On the contrary, given KOS-MOS has continued to be promoted by Bandai-Namco and Monolith Soft (Post Nintendo acquisition), it's not at all unlikley that she was on the hypothetical "list" given to Sakurai. She was "Nintendo-fied" in Xenoblade Chronicles 2, itself a First Party Nintendo game that otherwise had nothing to do with Bandai-Namco. She was in Project X Zone 1 and 2, developed by Post-Nintendo Monolith and produced by Bandai Namco for Nintendo systems. She had a Scale figure commissioned for her "Nintendo-fied" design. She was highlighted with bonus art when Torna the Golden was released, which also had nothing to do with Bandai-Namco...

...and of course there's the matter of Bandai-Namco licensing Episode III's subtitle internationally back in April, for reasons that remain unknown.

I'd otherwise be *exceedingly* worried that she wouldn't be on Nintendo's radar. I'm quite aware she does not command anywhere near the levels of attention as characters such as Cloud or Ryu -Maybe Bayonetta though- nor is Xenosaga or even the overall Xeno franchise anywhere near the gaming Juggernaut that is Tekken. To even make that argument would be a borderline insult to Tekken, that I know. However, given Nintendo has been participating in the resurgence of her character, and the marketing thereof, it's not implausible that she is on their radar, and was on that "list."

Of course, that says nothing about whether or not Sakurai would or would not pass her over... but he's on pretty good terms with both Bandai-Namco and Monolith Soft, so I remain hopeful, and continue to await the crippling disappointment such foolhardy optimism brings.

Last edited:

FreeFox

Smash Lord
IMO Nintendo will pick DLCs that make them the most money. Meaning a lot of niche fan favorites are less likely now.
We probably need to keep our eyes open for future game releases and/or side projects made by the company.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
It seems that my greatest fear for Street Fighter's music in Ultimate might come true: CPS1, 2 and a new remix for themes for the original 12 cast :ohwell:
36 songs...3 for 12 characters each...nearly everyone expected and prepared for this
Except no, that never happened at all.

Sakurai and the dev team went out of their own volition to create Corrin, NOT Nintendo. There's been interviews that prove that point that it was him that pushed Corrin.
Sakurai was lying...he was seduced by Camilla to add in the Corrins
People are sleeping on King Boo.
We just had a Luigi's Mansion port.
Luigi's Mansion 3 is on the way.

I don't know about you, but I'm thinking he's in.View attachment 176355
A 10th/15th playable Mario character wouldn’t hurt

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
Honestly it's already happening but it's obvious that people are going to just use this as justification to cry about their favored characters not making it and fling crap at Nintendo even considering Sakurai still has ultimate say in the matter anyway. And since Nintendo isn't as much of a sacred cow in the fandom as Sakurai himself I foresee a lot of crap flinging.
Every time a character comes out that someone doesn't like it's going to be how Nintendo is a garbage company that doesn't care what we want, even if the it were to be a character Sakurai himself would have likely picked.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
They probably had a big list of characters to choose from, and Sakurai just picked 5 of them...
Won't be too much of an issue...
Do we know it's a big list? Sounds to me like Nintendo is telling Sakurai what they'd like to be DLC and Sakurai saying if he can do it or not. In the end it still is probably Nintendo wanting to promote some things and then Sakurai seeing if it's feasible to make a fighter for. Why would Nintendo get involved if they had a list of 50 random characters Sakurai was free to choose from? What would be the point?

If Nintendo themselves are getting involved with decision making then it must be for future promotional reasons.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.

Totally agree with this.

Though I think the question we all need to know is: Does Sakurai have the agency to make a character that Nintendo did not select?

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Define niche fan favorites.

Geno and Banjo I feel are a slice above the rest due to their ASSUMEDLY stellar Ballot performance which is the best illustration of who will make Nintendo money as DLC.

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
Honestly they likely weren't likely to begin with. The fact they are being described as niche should really hint that they wouldn't exactly do well as DLC.

D

Deleted member

Okay my predictions:
  1. Noctis
Hey y'all! Here's my reaction to Noctis joining the battle in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate!

CERTIFIED MURDERER.png

starbound plz you have a pichu icon you must not stray farther from the light

Last edited by a moderator:

Kaeltor

Smash Apprentice
We probably need to keep our eyes open for future game releases and/or side projects made by the company.
Yeah it's possible they'll use smash as a way to promote new franchises and new characters in pre-existing franchises.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Edelgard or Sylux - Edelgard if Prime 4 is a 2020 title, otherwise Sylux (assumign Sylux is in Prime 4). Some sort of advertising character makes sense for DLC, especially for Nintendo's biggest 2019 titles.
No doubt would Nintendo go for Fire Emblem. Metroid is one of Nintendo's less popular franchises.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
No doubt would Nintendo go for Fire Emblem. Metroid is one of Nintendo's less popular franchises.
It's such a catch 22-man.

"Why doesn't Nintendo promote Metroid? Because it's not popular."

"Why isn't Metroid more popular? Because Nintendo doesn't promote it."

AAAAAAAAAAH

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I know you see those CYL2 results, Nintendo.

Celica please.

Kaeltor

Smash Apprentice
Define niche fan favorites.

Geno and Banjo I feel are a slice above the rest due to their ASSUMEDLY stellar Ballot performance which is the best illustration of who will make Nintendo money as DLC.
Is Nintendo going to use the ballot? Have they even noticed there's a decent amount of support for Geno & BK? Don't get me wrong, I'd love for both to get in but I can't help but feel Geno's chances are significantly less now.

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
Okay my predictions:
  1. Noctis - I feel like Nintendo will prioritize business relationships with the DLC, rewarding companies that have supported the Switch so far (or will be soon), while trying to find some way to incorporate fan popularity in there. Of the pool of Square characters, I think Noctis is as close to a balance between the two variables.
  2. Rayman - Same as above. Ubisoft loves the console and have done excellent with Nintendo IP in both Rabbids and Starlink. Also they made notice of a Rabbid Peach sticker but not Rayman. #hmmm
  3. Edelgard or Sylux - Edelgard if Prime 4 is a 2020 title, otherwise Sylux (assumign Sylux is in Prime 4). Some sort of advertising character makes sense for DLC, especially for Nintendo's biggest 2019 titles.
  4. Doomguy - Doom port was a big deal for Nintendo last year (alongside Wolf 2), and Doom Eternal is coming to Switch next year, so this covers a few elements. This is also more of a 'western' pick to contrast with Noctis being more popular in Japan.
  5. Steve - Feels like the closest to a guarantee, given how much Nintendo loves working with Minecraft (they made a big deal about it coming to Wii U, 3DS and Switch, and gave it a 3DS bundle which is strange treatment for a third party title for Nintendo). This title is huge and I think they would be dumb not to incorporate it.
inb4 i go 0/5
Yeah Sylux is never happening.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Okay, supposing that the Big N were mulling over Warioware Gold planning a couple years before it came out, and that they were deliberately steadily downplaying Ashley promotion in the meantime (extending to the AT), do you guys think we might get a Warioware character as DLC?

AAAAAAAAAAH
Damned if you do, damned if you don't. At least the additions have managed to dodge those questions this time. :ultridley::ultdarksamus:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I know you see those CYL2 results, Nintendo.

Hector please.
Fixed
realistically speaking, Hector is the one character that would please the most FE fans without absolutely pissing off the Smash fanbase

Potato_

Smash Lord
Hey y'all! Here's my reaction to Noctis joining the battle in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate!

View attachment 176357

starbound plz you have a pichu icon you must not stray farther from the light
My boy you like Rex, we all have our vices.

this is a joke please don't kill me

Exactly, so really I don't think that "brand new character that ties in with a new game" is top priority. I wouldn't be surprised if they did it, because there would probably be an initial burst of sales from people hyped to see that character in Smash, but it would no doubt be mixed in with other big names that would sell, probably even more so.

To prove my point, who do you think would sell more, Edelgard or Steve/Sora?

Now who do you think Nintendo would try to go for more?

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Is Nintendo going to use the ballot? Have they even noticed there's a decent amount of support for Geno & BK? Don't get me wrong, I'd love for both to get in but I can't help but feel Geno's chances are significantly less now.
I mean why would Nintendo NOT use the Ballot
They've noted support for K. Rool and you're fooling yourself if you think Geno's fans are vocal minorities; they got him a Mii costume, Sakurai stated he has a lot of fan demand.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

AAAAAAAAAAH
Or it could be like my boi. A franchise big enough for everyone to take it for granted, but NOT big enough have any sort of focus on it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom