• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KiBom

Smash Journeyman
I think DQ rep and Katalina are significantly more likely now, then that's probably it for third party characters. At least two will be promotional picks I think.

Royalty1702

Smash Journeyman
I'm expecting more first parties now.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Another thing, do you guys think Nintendo chose anyone of the characters Vergeben hinted at for DLC, like Katalina?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I don't think so, I think it's just him being transparent, because it's NOT out of his hands.
He specifically notes it did indeed come down to him to see if they could pull the character off.
Exactly this. If he says no, then it doesn't happen.

So that means even if it's a promotional character, like Katalina, he has to still agree to it. He's still a business man and clearly has no issues with adding promotional stuff too, but it doesn't mean she's some guarantee either. It could go either way(I'm leaning towards unlikely).

The best part is this could mean some obscure options are possible. Banjo has a better chance with this information in mind, really.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
Please for the love of god no, i don't want another Federation Force style ****storm again
What? Katalina seems amazing. I hope Katalina is one of the characters tbh.

And there will never be a character met with more hate than Corrin or Bayo. People may want Geno, but not to the extremes of Ridley and K.rool back in Smash 4

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Okay, um. I was curious to see how the Grinch Leak came and transpired, and I found where Ken was "supposed to be at" in the Leak. But... Looking back at the official Mural, I decided to go back and compare the two.

Why do these look eerily similar. Like, WAY too similar? Not to mention, we STILL haven't gotten any explanation for the Murals in the Grinch Leak and people like Spawn Wave said there was "a couple of characters missing" aside from Incineroar, or if this was just another version of the Mural and not the final one.

I don't wanna raise any hopes up, but I'm just shocked at how identical these are.

View attachment 176293
They don't look eerily similar. Pay close attention to the position of Ken's right leg. It's bent very differently in the official mural and the leak. In fact, the leak is more line to images of Ken performing the Shoryuken you'll find online, where he holds his right leg up away from his other leg.

Whereas the official mural is based more on his in-game sprites, where he tucks his right leg behind his left leg.

This seems pretty cut and dry to me that the leak simply drew Ken based on a google image search, while the mural very specifically gave Ken the exact pose he uses in-game.

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Definitely going to be interesting to see who Nintendo decided on.

This could go a multitude of ways, and I hope it ends up being a positive one.

Atlas2398

Smash Cadet
I think DQ rep and Katalina are significantly more likely now, then that's probably it for third party characters. At least two will be promotional picks I think.
To nintendo, Minecraft is profitable. Which it is. And it would also line up with vergeben's statements. I'm almost entirely sure steve is in now.

D

Deleted member

Mario RPG being on the SNES Mini is.
Interesting.

That's all I can say, whether it means Nintendo would push for him or not I don't know.
We can joke about how Nintendo doesn't listen to us, but have you seen the Switch Era this past year and a half?

They ditched proprietary peripherals for universal ones like USB Type-C.
Games like Super Mario Odyssey, Breath of the Wild, Smash Ultimate as a whole, and many many games.
No region locking.
On the Classic Edition consoles, remembering games like EarthBound, Final Fantasy VI, Super Mario RPG, and much more.

Literally the only thing they're a bunch of dumb ****s are is online, but they've learned and listened to our complaints SO much this console generation. So while this Smash's DLC was made by Nintendo, I don't think they're completely oblivious to everyone's responses and will ACTUALLY go with people like Steve from Minecraft and Katalina from Granblue Fantasy.

I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Okay, so with that info, what exactly would a company like Nintendo pick?
The cynic in me says all of them will be promotional first party characters, but I'm hoping it means that Nintendo themselves went out and asked for characters from 3rd parties with future switch games (Cough, Shin Megami Tensei V)
Shin_Megami_Tensei_V.png

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

>People automatically assuming Katalina is in
Verg clarified very recently that even though Hitagi heard talks for Katalina, they also heard that they probably didn't go past negotiations. Don't jump the gun folks, whether you want her or not.

Last edited by a moderator:

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Hm. I don't think Bandana Dee's chances have changed, for good or worse. I'm just going to wait and see what happens.

FurretBro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FurretBro
Uh, should we be worried?
Yes, although Nintendo is aware of Geno's existence so maybe it isn't that bad. It still sounds bad though. You really think Nintendo would pick a character otherwise obscure outside of Smash?

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Can’t wait for 2 of the 5 characters to be from Fire Emblem!

D

Deleted member

They don't look eerily similar. Pay close attention to the position of Ken's right leg. It's bent very differently in the official mural and the leak. In fact, the leak is more line to images of Ken performing the Shoryuken you'll find online, where he holds his right leg up away from his other leg.

Whereas the official mural is based more on his in-game sprites, where he tucks his right leg behind his left leg.

This seems pretty cut and dry to me that the leak simply drew Ken based on a google image search, while the mural very specifically gave Ken the exact pose he uses in-game.
Man, y'know all of this makes me wish the Grinch Leak would've done the whole Shippu Jinraikyaku since that move is so iconic because of EVO Moment #37 lol

KingBroly

Smash Lord
So, which characters would be in Nintendo's best interests for DLC then?
- A Breath of the Wild Champion or Impa
- Bandana Dee
- A Metroid character from Prime 4
- Eevee
- Fjorm from Fire Emblem Heroes (Stone Cold Lead Pipe of the Week)

D

Deleted member

Somebody on v pointed this out, but does Sakurai mean Nintendo handed him a list of 5 characters and said “make these or no dlc at all” or did they hand him a pool of characters he could use and he narrowed it down to 5?

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Here's some food for thought; fans have been saying that Spirits are essentially deconfirms for characters, but this raises the question; if all the popular picks are going to be spirits, and since it will most likely be going by fan demand, then who in the world is left to choose by then? Oliver? Ariel? The logic is something fans need to consider.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
We can joke about how Nintendo doesn't listen to us, but have you seen the Switch Era this past year and a half?

They ditched proprietary peripherals for universal ones like USB Type-C.
Games like Super Mario Odyssey, Breath of the Wild, Smash Ultimate as a whole, and many many games.
No region locking.
On the Classic Edition consoles, remembering games like EarthBound, Final Fantasy VI, Super Mario RPG, and much more.

Literally the only thing they're a bunch of dumb ****s are is online, but they've learned and listened to our complaints SO much this console generation. So while this Smash's DLC was made by Nintendo, I don't think they're completely oblivious to everyone's responses and will ACTUALLY go with people like Steve from Minecraft and Katalina from Granblue Fantasy.

I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.
You leave Steve outta this

Graizen

Smash Champion
If it will be a marqueting choice , think about Games that will launch next year.
Thirdy Party of not!

Kingdom Hearts 3
Digimon Survive

Untouch

Smash Master
This doesn't impact third parties I feel, but they're going to be directly tied to Nintendo in some way.
I think a DQ character just became VERY likely.

RedBr971

Smash Cadet
Now it's time, we pray for our favorite most-wanted characters to join the battle.
I, for one, am rooting for Bandana Waddle Dee, Geno and Banjo, If we get at least one of those I will be REALLY happy, but if we don't that is okay, look at the game already! We got Isabelle, King K. Rool, we got Ridley! The character who was "too big" to get into smash! So, even if we don't get DLC we want, I will still be satisfied with the main game

Just hope they don't pull another Piranha Plant character style lol

Cereal Bawks

Smash Ace
NNID
cereal_bawks
>People automatically assuming Katalina is in
Verg clarified very recently that even though Hitagi heard talks for Katalina, they also heard that they probably didn't go past negotiations. Don't jump the gun folks, whether you want her or not.
You're also twisting his words. He said they don't know if it went past negotiations, not that they probably didn't get past negotiations.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I would imagine Nintendo calling the shots eliminates the fan favourites, unless they're big names as well.

Wouldn't say that's good for Geno. Dunno where that leaves Banjo. The rest of the third-parties are probably still safe.

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
- A Breath of the Wild Champion or Impa
- Bandana Dee
- A Metroid character from Prime 4
- Eevee
- Fjorm from Fire Emblem Heroes (Stone Cold Lead Pipe of the Week)
I hope that means Sylux at least because he looks like he can be in smash but I don't know what his moveset would look like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom