• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I wonder what the Japanese think of Dark Samus, a character designed by Americans who appears in a game trilogy made by Americans which sold extremely terribly in Japan and was in a series that doesn't sell well to begin with.

But do they truly hate Metroid so much? I thought it was just Prime that sold miserably there. Maybe this is why we have only had two reps for so long? :urg:
It's no secret that Metroid mainly appeals to the West, which is why it's a miracle it even got new characters in Smash.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Don't think it's been brought up yet, but Lucina (and presumably Chrom and Robin) have a new victory theme based of Id Purpose.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
Sure, just make sure you boil them for 11-12 minutes first :p
Yes, yes, I know, the last part was a joke, but to be honest the Daisies appearing made me laugh of joy.

I mean, Peaches are edible, since that's tecnically part of a...fruit, but the Daisies are considered flowers, and so they aren't edible at all.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I don't know what's more shocking, nicknaming Ridley Captain America or that a lot of Japan supposedly knows Captain America
Pretty sure the MCU is pretty big in Japan...
Don't think it's been brought up yet, but Lucina (and presumably Chrom and Robin) have a new victory theme based of Id Purpose.
Kinda like how Corrin got one based on Lost in Thoughts All Alone?

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Corrin also has a Lost in Thoughts all alone victory tune and it sounds like Toon Link and Sheik might have new victory themes too.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Dunno why people find unironically Sans support surprising :/ .
Undertale is a great game and i wouldn't mind content from it. even if I DO Think that Sans in particular is overrated.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
People were asking about why SquareEnix owns Geno if they never plan to do anything with him. The answer is that's what Media Companies generally do. Game Publishers like Movie Studio and the like revolve around the collecting of Intellectual Properties. Generally Publishers fund a game project and generally in return the publisher retains the property rights to the intellectual properties of the project itself. This is generally intended for two main reasons.

1) If the project falls through the Publisher gets the right to take the IP in question and give it to another team or retool the project if they choose to do so.

2) The IP rights are what actually have value to a Publisher and what makes the publisher valuable in the perspective of an investor or shareholder.

Regardless of whether a publisher decides to use the IP in question or not ever again is generally not the point, rather the value that the IP has is more important. The selling of intellectual properties usually only occurs when a company is in a difficult situation or needs to pay certain debts. There is no real benefit to SE lettting go of Geno's IP rights and I doubt Nintendo gives enough of a damn about Geno to even engage the idea. Because the IP likely has no value to Nintendo compared to the value it holds for SquareEnix who then gets cuts anytime Super Mario RPG is re-released or Geno is used for something.

Now, I'm aware that this isn't always the case, Shantae is a good example where this did not happen (Even though Capcom published the original GBC game, they did not keep the Shantae IP for some reason), however this is usually the exception and not the rule.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Yes, yes, I know, the last part was a joke, but to be honest the Daisies appearing made me laugh of joy.

I mean, Peaches are edible, since that's tecnically part of a...fruit, but the Daisies are considered flowers, and so they aren't edible at all.
Very true, which is why it's even better that she has daisies in her final smash. It is pretty funny

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
No offense guys, but it’s pretty hypocritical if you’re saying that not all of Japan is ungrateful for some bad apples yet the Western Smash community is getting sh*ted on just because some were disappointed.

Last edited:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Corrin also has a Lost in Thoughts all alone victory tune and it sounds like Toon Link and Sheik might have new victory themes too.
I think the whole Zelda crew just got a new song because the only one I haven't heard it for is Link.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
No offense guys, but it’s pretty hypocritical if you’re saying that not all of Japan is ungrateful for some bad apples yet the Western Smash community is getting sh*ted on just because some were disappointed.
To be fair, the Grinch Leak definitley overloaded people's expectations...

BTW, did Japan pay any attention to the Grinch leak or Vergeben?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

All I need now is confirmation that Lucas has a new victory theme that isn't the same as Ness's new fanfare.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I wasn’t even attacking them lol It was an honest question
I took it that way because it felt obvious to me that, just like with any other country, that that wasn't the case.

Except I'm not trashing the Western community, and there's a key difference; WE'RE IN THE WEST, I don't know why we can't criticize it when we know how our own fanbase functions. No need to generalize.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Every fan base has some good and some bad

D

Deleted member

Who are the most popular characters in Japan right now? I've heard Bandanna Dee and Rex tossed around a lot.
From what i could gather with some K.Rool fans, and i’m not kidding:

-Sora
-Banjo
-Geno
-Crash
-Rex before, not sure now

Yes, those ones.

ReeseBalaski

Smash Journeyman
I know that Ganon and Toon Link have new victory themes, but it might just be that the Zelda cast in general have a new one.

beans

Smash Lord
Remider that its bit unfair to **** on PS All Stars, cause Sony didnt do enough to help the developers making it, not even assisting with most of the licensing.
Also when the game was canceled, there was still work being done of it: Journey X Gravity Rush stage and a DLC for Dart Feld from Legend of Dragoon
I just find it kinda unfair to beat this already dead horse, that already got his legs broken at the start of the race.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Hate on the West for Ridley
Hate on the East for Fire Emblem

But let's all agree that smack dab in the middle, Europe is the worst because they gave us Bayonetta. /s

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Remider that its bit unfair to **** on PS All Stars, cause Sony didnt do enough to help the developers making it, not even assisting with most of the licensing.
Also when the game was canceled, there was still work being done of it: Journey X Gravity Rush stage and a DLC for Dart Feld from Legend of Dragoon
I just find it kinda unfair to beat this already dead horse, that already got his legs broken at the start of the race.
Dart would have been the point i'd have actually gotten the game ngl.

D

Deleted member

That game deserved better.

GameKarim

Smash Rookie

But let's all agree that smack dab in the middle, Europe is the worst because they gave us Bayonetta. /s
In behalf of all of Europe, I am sorry for that one.

Noipoi

Howdy!

That was their plan all along. Sabotage the west by giving us Bayonetta and making her unstoppable.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
A lot of people here are looking for excuses to **** on other people.
It's nothing new.
idiots really like to proclaim "ugh smash fans are the worst" just to feel superior.

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
I don't know what's more shocking, nicknaming Ridley Captain America or that a lot of Japan supposedly knows Captain America
Marvel comics characters are/were in japanese media tmk. They had animes based on them over there and everything so it's not hard to imagine a good bunch of japanese would know of him

Suspicious Squirtle

Smash Apprentice
What if Sakurai just trolls everyone and Max Caulfield from Life Is Strange is the Square rep. The game is published by Square.

D

Deleted member

Marvel comics characters are/were in japanese media tmk. They had animes based on them over there and everything so it's not hard to imagine a good bunch of japanese would know of him
Spider-Man was the first character to use a giant robot in japanese tv shows.
Even before Super Sentai.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom