• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
He doesn’t.
But he can deny his use in other Mario titles.

Paper Mario is a good example of what i mean.
Geno is owned by Square-Enix. Using him in Mario games developed by Nintendo requires negotiation between two companies and I'm not sure why they should bother for a original side character, Mario RPGs have a ton of them.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Diddy Kong's a disappointment. I wanted Guitar Gazump! Instead it's his rocketbarrel malfunctioning.
Good question, why Smash treats Diddy Kong's jetpack like it's the biggest part of his character? (not that I complain, jetpacks are awesome.)

D

Deleted member

Don't quote somethin if you have nothing to add.
Geno is owned by Square-Enix. Using him in Mario games developed by Nintendo requires negotiation between two companies and I'm not sure why they should bother for a original side character, Mario RPGs have a ton of them.
This.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Good question, why Smash treats Diddy Kong's jetpack like it's the biggest part of his character? (not that I complain, jetpacks are awesome.)
Since DK64 it's actually been very prominent with the character. It shows up in some Mario spin offs (notably Mario Power Tennis) and the new DKC games.

It fits his character of being a 90s cool boi.

D

Deleted member

It is interesting to note that the jetpacks became more prominent in the DKC games by Retro Studios.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
After watching a GameXplain vid summing up stuff that was said recently, it seems All-Star mode may still be in after all. Prepare yourselves, folks. :teeth:

Thank god for that.
But yeah, Geno isn’t lost because of Square holding the rights... He is lost for the same reason that the Paper Mario franchise has lost interest: Miyamoto.
Given that, looks like Fawful most likely won't get a chance to be in Smash either (sorry, all those who support him).

Characters from other spin-offs, like Poochy and Captain Syrup, could still be viable, though, since Miyamoto doesn't have control on those.

It is interesting to note that the jetpacks became more prominent in the DKC games by Retro Studios.
Weapons, too (which is extremely good, in the off-chance Tiny and Lanky come back).

Last edited:

monadoboy

Smash Lord
One great thing about Ultimate is now that Mii Fighters are more fleshed out and costumes aren't incredibly lame DLC I might actually remember they're in the game and use them... They'll probably feel like another brand new character

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
As far as character support goes; it's best aimed towards Smash 6 (and a ballot for that, probably), and not this game. Whoever comes on DLC next depends (mostly) on who got enough demand last time, and whether the staff has enough time and resources for them. We can't bend reality, no matter how much fake leakers want to.
I don't think DLC will depend on what characters got demanded last time. I think the ballot was used only for the base game and the DLC will be based on what games are big and relevant right now (Kingdom Hearts, Minecraft, FE Three Houses)

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Diddy Kong's a disappointment. I wanted Guitar Gazump! Instead it's his rocketbarrel malfunctioning.
Young Link's was the biggest missed opportunity. If they're going to justify have three Links in, you'd think they'd give YL a Final Smash that differs more from Toon Link's...

Also are we doing the mandatory 'Miyamoto is the devil' spiel: the guy's made some bad calls but Tanabe seems like much more to blame for the current state of Paper Mario.

Last edited:

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
It’d be wise not to care about Smash 6 if a character you wanted didn’t get into Ultimate, because there’s not going to be a Smash 6, and if there is no highly requested newcomers will show up. Ultimate is the last time Smash is going to pull all the stops. Ya’ll may as well throw away your body pillows of Banjo and Geno cause they’re never getting into Smash period.
Listen, ya’ll might have hopes and dreams right now, but that’s because you don’t know a damn thing about reality. One day you’ll see, you’ll be trapped in the depressing reality that boxes you in, no matter where you go.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
As far as character support goes; it's best aimed towards Smash 6 (and a ballot for that, probably), and not this game. Whoever comes on DLC next depends (mostly) on who got enough demand last time, and whether the staff has enough time and resources for them. We can't bend reality, no matter how much fake leakers want to.
I don't think it's gonna be 100% ballot stuff.

Lots of new game showed up since the ballot, so I could see at least one character being from one of those more recent games.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I don't think DLC will depend on what characters got demanded last time. I think the ballot was used only for the base game and the DLC will be based on what games are big and relevant right now (Kingdom Hearts, Minecraft, FE Three Houses)
Probably not Three Houses, given that FE only even had one Echo added in the base game. The current consensus is that it'll be Granblue instead (as odd as it seems).

We've seen bits of it.

It's actually just Multi-Man Smash, but the opponents are random characters instead of the Fighting Mii Team.
Ah, close enough then. Weirdest compromise, though...

beans

Smash Lord
Alucard, Grey fox, Shanoa, Mipha's, Sidon's, Gerudo Set, for swordfighters
Cornell, Chun Li, Sagat, basically any street fighter, as Brawler.
Soma Cruz, Bomberman, Phoenix Wright as gunners...

and if Square enix stops goofing around:
Terra, Cecil, Warrior of light, Sephirot, Noctis, Agnes for swordfighters.
Tifa, Vaan, Penelo, full chocobo, for brawlers.
Balthier, Fran, Barret (he even have the arm gun!) Black mage, Prompto for gunners.

long Etc...
Oh manm I forgot the fact Soma can always find a fire arm in his games.
9mm in the first with a Positron Rifle as a secret
Normal handgun, and a upgrade with Silver Bullets in the second, with the secret weapong being a RPG Launcher

D

Deleted member

Is anyone still interested in the Grinch 'leak'?
I'm interested in whether or not the Grinch material being in the shot was a coincidence. From the beginning, the Grinch was the only thing about the hoax that held any value to me, so I just want to know if that was intentional, or the greatest coincidence of all time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Probably not Three Houses, given that FE only even had one Echo added in the base game. The current consensus is that it'll be Granblue instead (as odd as it seems).
True. And I do hope more than anything that the Granblue negotiations come true, because Katalina is all I want in this game now

beans

Smash Lord
Man, I remember when Miyamoto sold Geno to Square so that any future use of the character would require Nintendo to licence him from Square because Miyamoto didn't want Geno to be used in other Mario games.

Good times.
I remenber when Eiji Aonuma killed my wife when she asked about Yoshiaki Koizumi.
Eiji said no.

D

Deleted member

It’d be wise not to care about Smash 6 if a character you wanted didn’t get into Ultimate, because there’s not going to be a Smash 6, and if there is no highly requested newcomers will show up. Ultimate is the last time Smash is going to pull all the stops. Ya’ll may as well throw away your body pillows of Banjo and Geno cause they’re never getting into Smash period.
Listen, ya’ll might have hopes and dreams right now, but that’s because you don’t know a damn thing about reality. One day you’ll see, you’ll be trapped in the depressing reality that boxes you in, no matter where you go.
To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand ThatOneAnon. The humor is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also Anon's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation - his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realize that they're not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike ThatOneAnon truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in Anon's existencial catchphrase "Wubba Lubba Dub Dub," which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as ThatOne's genius unfolds itself on their computer screens. What fools... how I pity them.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand ThatOneAnon. The humor is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also Anon's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation - his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realize that they're not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike ThatOneAnon truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in Anon's existencial catchphrase "Wubba Lubba Dub Dub," which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as ThatOne's genius unfolds itself on their computer screens. What fools... how I pity them.
Man what the hell, I said “ya’ll”
Isn’t saying “ya’ll” supposed to automatically increase the worth of your opinion by 40%?

D

Deleted member

Banjo can still return.

Geno may not return.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
And yes, by the way, i DO have a ThatOneAnon tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- and even then they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid

Peeton

Smash Journeyman
NNID
starwolfe
I find it very weird that Magnus isn’t an assist trophy anymore. I love the guy and wish he was still an assist! Of course I’d love if he were playable but he’d have Patrick Seitz voice! :laugh: Don’t get me wrong Pat does a great job imitating Fred Tatasciore but I think he’s in a union so they couldn’t use him:sadeyes: There’s always DLC, but hopefully there’s a Mii Costume at least!

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I'm rooting for Sora, but who are the other 6?
I don't know? But by guts feeling?
-Sora
-Geno
-Erdrick
-Noctis
-2B
-Eleven/Eight
-Crono

Tell me how anyone on that list of 7 wouldn't be hype in smash if that was the kind of List Vergeben got?

beans

Smash Lord
And yes, by the way, i DO have a ThatOneAnon tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- and even then they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 Global Smash Power of my own (preferably lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid
Fixed It For Ya

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
I like how no one realized I quoted a serial killer in that post. Granted, a fictional serial killer from a JRPG with a living bear suit and a bathhouse dungeon, but a serial killer nonetheless.
I was hoping someone would catch that and go “what the **** dude you’re quoting a serial killer? get help” or something.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Also are we doing the mandatory 'Miyamoto is the devil' spiel: the guy's made some bad calls but Tanabe seems like much more to blame for the current state of Paper Mario.
Now that Nintedo's console and handheld are the same thing, I REALLY wish they'd just make a Paper Mario & Luigi game. And I don't mean as a crossover, like Paper Jam. I mean a straight up Mario & Luigi game that just uses the Paper Mario art style.

M&L has always been the better RPG series, PM has always had the more iconic look. Merge the two series together.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I like how no one realized I quoted a serial killer in that post. Granted, a fictional serial killer from a JRPG with a living bear suit and a bathhouse dungeon, but a serial killer nonetheless.
I was hoping someone would catch that and go “what the **** dude you’re quoting a serial killer? get help” or something.
I'm going to guess...Persona?

I've never played a Persona game before, so I wouldn't have got the reference :p

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

What if we can get Geno, but to do so we need to lose our dignity by posting for two weeks in Tik Tok and not in any other social media?

Would you accept the challenge for Geno?

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
There's this thing i call: "We'll see about that soon"

*inb4 someone explains to me again why he isn't possible*
I don't know? But by guts feeling?
-Sora
-Geno
-Erdrick
-Noctis
-2B
-Eleven/Eight
-Crono

Tell me how anyone on that list of 7 wouldn't be hype in smash if that was the kind of List Vergeben got?
I think Verge mentioned Geno wasn't on the list, so swap him for Lara Croft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom