• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NineS

Smash Lord
I also just don't see this connection people are making with KH3 and Smash Bros.

Sora is owned by the most mega-watt company in the world. They're not a pure gaming company either. They own practically everything and our known to be hardballers with everything they do.

Lara Croft is purely owned by Square Enix. 2B is purely owned by Square Enix. Lara is a gaming icon (Most recognized female video game charact ever. Actually owns this record btw) just like Sora but has none of the extra baggage.

2B is just neat and people like her and she's already putting in guest appearances .

Sakurai dealing with Disney is far more of a pipe dream than him just calling up Square Enix and asking for someone they own.
I agree what you say for the most part when it comes to why you think Lara would be note likely, but I think there's a bigger picture than simply being owned by the company though.

A DQ character is pretty likely though.
wish i could say the same for 2B

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Listen, if the plant taught us anything, is that Sakurai decides WHO he wants. ( Unless SE turn out to be a bunch of *****s again )
I'm thinking SE is being stingy again. They probably want Sora in to push KH3.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Apparently Robin still calls in Chrom for his Final Smash.

I don't know how to feel about this.
Wuh...what? That literally makes no sense...they didn’t even have to replace him, they could’ve had Robin perform it alone.

What would’ve happened if that was shown before his inclusion?

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Verg's just offered his two cents about Hitagi (the guy who leaked the new Samurai Shodown game and later claimed Steve and a Granblue character would be getting in as DLC for Smash):
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77160319/911662575
"I should probably state that Senjougahara__Hitagi (who has a great track record if you look into them on reddit, and is someone I talk to and crosscheck things with since we have met) has heard the same things for Smash that I have.
The only difference in our information has been them hearing that Steve from Minecraft will be playable and discussions with Cygames were happening to get a Granblue Fantasy character (which seems to be Katalina in particular) into Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

While I cannot personally back those two things on my end yet from my personal sources, what we can do is consider adding up what I have heard and put out for SSBU combined with what Hitagi heard and has said, which could point us in a direction that reveals that 3 out of the 5 DLC characters seem to be
The Square Enix character. I can vouch is definitely happening and the first DLC character at that.

Steve from Minecraft. Minecraft discussions happened that lead to my knowledge that content is planned to be present. I have been told it could be an AT, stage, item, or "possibly" a character. It looks like character, stage, and theme will be how if what Hitagi has heard is accurate. At this point, I do not doubt it much.

Cygames' Granblue Fantasy getting a guest character (Katalina mentioned by name)
This comes from Hitagi as I have said. But they seemed confident that the discussions happened on a serious level. "

Of note: he himself is not confirming anything, just commenting on things and saying he personally believes them and that overall they seem to mesh/line up.
Oof talk about an isult to the Grinch leak... lol

Untouch

Smash Master
Honestly if we are getting a demo, delaying the announcement was a BAD idea, the direct would have been received SO MUCH BETTER if we got that announcement at the end.

D

Deleted member

@GothFluttershy please stop going on about Zoe Trent and LPS. It literally has nothing to do with Smash and it has 0 chance of getting in. It would be alright if it was just a one off thing that you mentioned occasionally but you do it too much and it’s annoying now. People will agree with me but I bet this post gets 0 likes cuz they’re afraid to say it.
Okay. I get it. My dreams are stupid, everyone thinks so, and I need to stop dreaming because it's never gonna ****ing happen. I get it.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Verg's just offered his two cents about Hitagi (the guy who leaked the new Samurai Shodown game and later claimed Steve and a Granblue character would be getting in as DLC for Smash):
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77160319/911662575
"I should probably state that Senjougahara__Hitagi (who has a great track record if you look into them on reddit, and is someone I talk to and crosscheck things with since we have met) has heard the same things for Smash that I have.
The only difference in our information has been them hearing that Steve from Minecraft will be playable and discussions with Cygames were happening to get a Granblue Fantasy character (which seems to be Katalina in particular) into Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

While I cannot personally back those two things on my end yet from my personal sources, what we can do is consider adding up what I have heard and put out for SSBU combined with what Hitagi heard and has said, which could point us in a direction that reveals that 3 out of the 5 DLC characters seem to be
The Square Enix character. I can vouch is definitely happening and the first DLC character at that.

Steve from Minecraft. Minecraft discussions happened that lead to my knowledge that content is planned to be present. I have been told it could be an AT, stage, item, or "possibly" a character. It looks like character, stage, and theme will be how if what Hitagi has heard is accurate. At this point, I do not doubt it much.

Cygames' Granblue Fantasy getting a guest character (Katalina mentioned by name)
This comes from Hitagi as I have said. But they seemed confident that the discussions happened on a serious level. "

Of note: he himself is not confirming anything, just commenting on things and saying he personally believes them and that overall they seem to mesh/line up.
Did we ever get confirmation that assist trophies could be a part of these upcoming DLC packs?

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'm thinking SE is being stingy again. They probably want Sora in to push KH3.
''NIntendo put this character in to promote a game we haven't committed to giving you yet!"

Yeah, that'll work out well with their new rekindled friendship.

Last edited:

Mr. Z and 27 others

Smash Rookie
I know people are in a tizzy over the recent direct, but I wanted to say:

RIP Mario Segale, the inspiration for everyone's favorite italian plumber.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
So... what are everyone's overall final thoughts on the base roster?
And yes, Base... Not DLC
So no Piranha Plant

Here's mine

:ultinkling: Looks fun and unique... 9/10
:ultdaisy:Her inclusion still surprises me 8/10
:ultridley: Happy for his fans, but meh... 5/10
:ultsimon: By the power of Vampire Killer 9/10
:ultrichter: "What is an echo? A fun little extra character" 9/10
:ultchrom: You should have been in Smash 4 in the first place... 7/10
:ultdarksamus: It's Samus... but dark... 6/10
:ultkrool: Eh... Never really cared 3/10
:ultisabelle: Having played Villager in Smash 4, she looks like a fun twist on his play style 9/10
Easily looks like the most fun echo... 10/10
Oh, baby, a newcomer that actually calls to me. Definitely helps that Litten was my starter in Sun and Moon 10/10

Overall 8/10
Additions like Inkling, Incineroar, Isabelle, and the Belmonts look super fun, while most of the others are mixed...
Overall, pretty great...

As for Piranha Plant, He's a 9/10
Here's mine:

:ultinkling: - A unique character and Splatoon was bound to be represented. - 7.5/10
:ultridley: - A character that had been long requested in the past finally made its Smash debut. Overall, pretty satisfied. - 7/10
:ultsimon::ultrichter: - One of Konami's gems made it into Smash. Very unique. 8/10
:ultchrom: - Chrom was pretty much what I would expect to be at least an echo of another FE character. - 6.5/10
:ultdarksamus: - Would've liked to see a unique moveset rather than an echo, but nonetheless she is in. - 6.5/10
:ultkrool: - Loved his character reveal trailer and he seemed pretty unique. - 7.5/10
:ultisabelle: - Isabelle was bound to be one of the AC reps to be playable for Smash. Overall, slightly different to the Villager - 7/10

- Even though they are similar, he does look pretty fun and have a unique range of Final Smashes. - 9/10
- Even though I would've liked Decidueye, Inceniroar plays and looks pretty impressive. 9/10

Piranha Plant - Caught me out by surprise and really impressed with how Sakurai and the development team could even come up with a move set. - 8.5/10

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
''NIntendo put this character in to promote a game we haven't committed to giving you yet!"

FFVII Remake
Street Fighter V
Metal Gear Soild 4

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
Alright I'm confident they're hiding the stage select screen for some reason.
Looking at the footage we've already seen of the new demo (not the treehouse), yet again NONE have the stage select screen.
The Nintendo Live tournament also makes note that the stages are 100% random. They're also using stage morph and FS meter it seems.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/live/smashbros/

hazza5557

Smash Journeyman
Okay. I get it. My dreams are stupid, everyone thinks so, and I need to stop dreaming because it's never gonna ****ing happen. I get it.
It’s not stupid to like a character, but when you want someone who no one knows and has never been on a Nintendo console in a game and then keep going on about them, it gets annoying.

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings

Chain of Memories, 358/2 Days, Re:Coded, and 3D were all on Nintendo handhelds; even if you don't count 358 because Roxas was the PC, Sora's still starred in multiple games on Nintendo hardware and is widely known.

You're using the same logic people used as to why Cloud wouldn't be in.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Here's mine:

:ultinkling: - A unique character and Splatoon was bound to be represented. - 7.5/10
:ultridley: - A character that had been long requested in the past finally made its Smash debut. Overall, pretty satisfied. - 7/10
:ultsimon::ultrichter: - One of Konami's gems made it into Smash. Very unique. 8/10
:ultchrom: - Chrom was pretty much what I would expect to be at least an echo of another FE character. - 6.5/10
:ultdarksamus: - Would've liked to see a unique moveset rather than an echo, but nonetheless she is in. - 6.5/10
:ultkrool: - Loved his character reveal trailer and he seemed pretty unique. - 7.5/10
:ultisabelle: - Isabelle was bound to be one of the AC reps to be playable for Smash. Overall, slightly different to the Villager - 7/10

- Even though they are similar, he does look pretty fun and have a unique range of Final Smashes. - 9/10
- Even though I would've liked Decidueye, Inceniroar plays and looks pretty impressive. 9/10

Piranha Plant - Caught me out by surprise and really impressed with how Sakurai and the development team could even come up with a move set. - 8.5/10
You missed Daisy.

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
Oh god... i do not wanna imagine the ****storm and outrage that Nintendo and Microsoft will get if Steve gets in over ****ing BANJO.
By ****storm, you mean the vocal minority who will complain a lot and how Smash has been ruined while the silent majority would be happy that there’s another fighter and but Steve anyway? People will be upset, but let’s not go crazy here...

D

Deleted member

It’s not stupid to like a character, but when you want someone who no one knows and has never been on a Nintendo console in a game and then keep going on about them, it gets annoying.
Okay, I really get it now. The other post was kind of me just saying how what you said felt like to me that's all...

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
Welp, it’s gonna be Steve.
So how do you guys plan on destroying your Switch? Personally I’m thinking sledgehammer.
I will destroy it by buying and enjoying both the game and the Steve DLC and play it too much until it no longer works.

It might take a few console generations though. :troll:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
FFVII Remake
Street Fighter V
Metal Gear Soild 4
In which none of these games listed have anything to do with what got Cloud, Ryu, or Snake into Smash Brothers in the first place!

Chain of Memories, 358/2 Days, Re:Coded, and 3D were all on Nintendo handhelds; even if you don't count 358 because Roxas was the PC, Sora's still starred in multiple games on Nintendo hardware and is widely known.

You're using the same logic people used as to why Cloud wouldn't be in.
I never once used this logic, bub.

I even was one of the people that said what you said about Cloud when he got in.

If Sora gets in it's not because Square forced him on Sakurai or wanted to promote KH3 on a Nintendo system that's all I'm saying. I just think dealing purely with Square is a lot easier for Sakurai than dealing with the Disney of it all that Sora entails.

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
I think I understand why so many people are upset with the direct, it makes so much sense, it's because they didn't call Kencineroar's trailer "Pokemon Masters". This is an unforgivable mistake and Sakurai MUST retire for his actions.

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
Hey y'all, since both Shovel Knight and Shantae are basically deconfirmed... Does my boi Quote have a chance at DLC as an indie fighter?
Sure, but wait until WayForward pipes up ever again. Shantae isn't out of the running just because she has a Spirit token - Kirby, K. Rool, and the male Wii Fit Trainer all have their own tokens too.

D

Deleted member

I wasn’t trying to be mean btw in case that’s how I came across.
It's fine. I actually have autism irl and that may cause me to see things differently, and also to get stuck on things, like Zoe in Smash. Again, I'm sorry.

SonicMario

Smash Master

If all three of these are our first 3 DLC characters. I will get whomever is the Square Enix character and Steve. However, I don't know about a Granblue character. Unless they look really fun, that might be one character I actually decide to skip out on or at least not get right away. Not that I hate Granblue or anything. Just not something I'd personally be interested in paying money for at the moment.

Exalt4747

Smash Journeyman
Over 100 pages since I last checked, wow.

By the way,do we have any idea what advantages Ryu has over Ken? They only really talked about the other way around before.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Yeah sorry. Who was that one user who wanted more female representation no matter who? I feel so ****ing stupid summoning you my friend... :urg:
It's fine, but I still want more female representation
I think I understand why so many people are upset with the direct, it makes so much sense, it's because they didn't call Kencineroar's trailer "Pokemon Masters". This is an unforgivable mistake and Sakurai MUST retire for his actions.
How dare you steal Opossum Opossum 's joke

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
As much as I disagree with Sakurai's decisions of Ultimate lately, the inner part of me still wants to speculate the remaining DLC fighters. The current circumstances set for DLC (with a bunch of disconfirmations for example) makes predicting somewhat easier for me Based on my initial process of elimination, I am feeling the Battle Pass fighters will be this. The top I find to be more likely, while the bottom is the unlikelier, alternative choice:

FighterPassUltimatePrediction.png

I still need to draft up more in-depth analyses for the characters, but... this what I'm thinking now. The logic is rough for now:
-Elma is based on the suspicious lack of XCX and Rex no longer being competition. If DLC was decided around the same time as base game, then Elma still has a decent shot.
-I think Sakurai will implement the Chorus Kids for DLC this time. I honestly don't know why they aren't in the base roster now, but I just cannot see them being excluded this time. (Karate Joe is also a possibility in the scenario that Chorus Kids face technical problems)
-Based on Verge's comments, Minecraft seems like the likelier choice, and around 2015, Minecraft Wii U edition was being developed, with Nintendo and Mojang/Microsoft teaming up for Sakurai to take the opportunity to negotiate them for a character.
-Also based on Verge's comments, either Geno or Sora. And seemingly Sora has a credible Spawn rumor of him being revealed at the Game Awards. Geno is not out of the running either, not appearing as an AT. Both have so many positives, but I think only one of them will get in the roster. I'm slightly leaning towards Geno.
-I'm thinking that we'll get Resident Evil this time. Since echos don't seem to be a possibility for DLC, either Leon or Jill will get in. Both share high popularity within the RE fanbase. Jill has the edge of being the most iconic. Leon also has the edge of being the most popular, known from the most innovative RE game ever that hundreds of Nintendo fans hold dear. Honestly, it all depends on which RE character was most popular in the ballot.
-I was thinking about adding Namco Bandai here, but it was REALLY hard to fit it in. If it does happen, I think Heihachi is the most likely, with Lloyd coming in second. The Akira AT kinda raises an eyebrow for me, making me wonder if it was done to open room for Heihachi. I have little doubt that Sakurai will have trouble implementing Heihachi this time.

That is it for me with predictions for now. I have no idea why I did this TBH.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
So I'm curious about yall's thoughts: Would you like Steve as one of the DLC characters?
Yes, if you ask me, he seems like the most reasonable western third party character...

Huge ties with Nintendo
Second best selling game in the world
Iconic in Japan as well

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
So I'm curious about yall's thoughts: Would you like Steve as one of the DLC characters?
No, I really wouldn't. I'm certain Sakurai could make it work but with 5 characters there are way better Microsoft characters to pick in my opinion.
Note: My opinion.

Alchadylan

Smash Cadet
Ooh my bad. This is interesting.
It seems we will get 109 stages then, considering PP is not part of the fighter pass.

"Piranha Plant will also be available as paid DLC (separate from Fighters Pass content) at a later time." - buy section of smashbros.com
Piranha plant isnt getting a stage

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
What if we got Geno and Sora announced at the same time in a Square Enix themed trailer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom