• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
Soooooo, how bout that Minecraft content, eh? ;)
Vergeben has been 100% correct so far.
I can't believe I've left the hill I promised myself I would die on but I'm very slowly warming up to the idea of Minecraft, character or otherwise, in Smash and I'm not sure I like this side of me

D

Deleted member

If we work hard enough, we can get Crash and Sora in as DLC.

A singing Plant won’t make me hold the phone and work things on its way.

SmashingXan2

Smash Journeyman
So I hope Spirits still have a small bio like trophies dir. Those were my favorites part of trophies

Michelaar

Smash Cadet
Ok, so after the salt festivities are *mostly* done here (I hope) let me get some post direct thoughts out of the way.

I LOVED the direct. Everything they discussed was great. I do not mind wasting my data on this at all Even though I now have 24 days left without data :(

Ken, we saw this coming, and i'm glad to see him. Personally, I do not play Street Fighter, but Ken is cute and hot (I like him better than Ryu) and would most likely pick him over Ryu.

When I first played Pokémon Moon I didn't really like Incineroar. However, then I decided to use him in one of my playthroughs and I loved him. He was quite fun to use and I started to like his design more too After I petted him a lot in Pokémon Refresh. So him joining the roster was a pleasant surprise I did not see coming. (Might also be a good thing to mention that I did not see any leaks except the mach rider one, because leaks bring expectations that very often lead to only disappointment.)

Spirits mode actually seems pretty fun. I am the completionist that wants to collect every single one of them and fill my pokedex. Also I find it very clever what they did with the spirit battles and battling online with your spirit seems just too much fun. I really wonder which spirits they are going to pick for every series, especially legends. (I have no idea why they made Sigurd only 2 stars smh.) The cutscene with the voice acting and the song was just great and it almost made me tear up a little. Kirby, save the world for us!!

But the highlight of the direct was Piranha Plant. He came so much out of nowhere, I can't believe it. I don't know if I'll main him quite yet, but I will DEFINITLY use him, because Piranha Plant getting in is just too funny.

Anyway, 10/10 direct would never ask for anything ever again.

MyDude213

Smash Journeyman
If that's the case, why is Nintendo so adverse to Geno? His cameo was even removed from the remake of M&L Superstar Saga. I think SE has a lot of control over him still. Maybe Nintendo has no such deal with them, so he's still as much work to get as any third party.
Well of course Square has a lot of control over the character they literally own him any final decisions on what to do with the character doesn't really fall on Nintendo again it's like Pokemon since Nintendo doesn't actually own the character they don't really have much of a say on what gets done with him that's all Square unfortunately Square doesn't really have much of an interest in the character. He's a character that only appeared in one game 22 years ago that though popular and very much loved by the people who played it. Probably didn't meet some kind of margin or please shareholders enough for Square to care about possible sequels or re-branding of the character's they own in that game. Because at the end of the day Square Enix are a company their objective is to make money. Here's hoping they finally realize that people want more from the Mario RPG franchise as well as characters like Geno in the future though. I doubt it'll happen cause Square is pretty stubborn but ya.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
BTW this is in 9 hours, so starting 8:30 EST
Should be the full demo, some events already have it.
Not gonna lie. Getting a demo at the end of the direct, announced for playing would've helped softened the blow. I'd at least like to get a better look at some things.

Last edited:

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
Ok, so after the salt festivities are *mostly* done here (I hope) let me get some post direct thoughts out of the way.

I LOVED the direct. Everything they discussed was great. I do not mind wasting my data on this at all Even though I now have 24 days left without data :(

Ken, we saw this coming, and i'm glad to see him. Personally, I do not play Street Fighter, but Ken is cute and hot (I like him better than Ryu) and would most likely pick him over Ryu.

When I first played Pokémon Moon I didn't really like Incineroar. However, then I decided to use him in one of my playthroughs and I loved him. He was quite fun to use and I started to like his design more too After I petted him a lot in Pokémon Refresh. So him joining the roster was a pleasant surprise I did not see coming. (Might also be a good thing to mention that I did not see any leaks except the mach rider one, because leaks bring expectations that very often lead to only disappointment.)

Spirits mode actually seems pretty fun. I am the completionist that wants to collect every single one of them and fill my pokedex. Also I find it very clever what they did with the spirit battles and battling online with your spirit seems just too much fun. I really wonder which spirits they are going to pick for every series, especially legends. (I have no idea why they made Sigurd only 2 stars smh.) The cutscene with the voice acting and the song was just great and it almost made me tear up a little. Kirby, save the world for us!!

But the highlight of the direct was Piranha Plant. He came so much out of nowhere, I can't believe it. I don't know if I'll main him quite yet, but I will DEFINITLY use him, because Piranha Plant getting in is just too funny.

Anyway, 10/10 direct would never ask for anything ever again.
I freaking love the optimism in this.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Apparently Robin still calls in Chrom for his Final Smash.

I don't know how to feel about this.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I also don't believe in Sora getting into the game. I think he's the ultimate pipe dream
That's what make him the best choice and a wild card. He's either the hardest Characters to get licence for and Sakurai give up. Or Actually the one who literally get his free ticket for Smash.

Gotta gamble, and I choose the dark horse :bobomb:

I Sora (character) owned by SE, or by Disney?
Disney characters but Square-Enix handle him and choose his apparition. So imagine like what Geno is for Nintendo/Square but with Disney/Square

NineS

Smash Lord
Okay, here's the thing I'm thinking now. If you're a third party Spirit or image in the game but you're not playable or an assist trophy.

I think that might actually HELP your chances as DLC. Because Nintendo has already discussed your image with your parent company, that alone is a negotiation and a deal struck.

So like people like Geno, Tails, etc.

I also don't believe in Sora getting into the game. I think he's the ultimate pipe dream. So if anyone beats Geno at the Square Rep game it'll be someone that Square has a little more control over such as Lara or a Dragon Quest character or even pure nostalgia like Crono.
I wouldn't call Sora a pipe dream.

At least, not as much as Lara Croft being in smash. or 2B.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Geno ain't ever gonna be in Smash, especially when they can put a character the general audience will love, and make them a ton more money. It was base or bust for him

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I have no ideal why Piranah plant has a different color background besides anybody, but maybe it’s a dlc thing... I dunno
Seems to be that, but I like it.

Could be glorified Stickers......I mean Spirits. I'm sure we didn't see every Spirit in the game after all.
Or music. I would laugh if it turns out to be just that. :laugh:

Untouch

Smash Master
Not gonna lie. Getting a demo at the end of the direct, announced for playing would've helped softened the blow. I'd at least like to get a better look at some things.
There was a rumour that there was 2 directs this month, one is next week, if true they may save it for the next direct. I still think we're getting a demo.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
Geno ain't ever gonna be in Smash, especially when they can put a character the general audience will love, and make them a ton more money. It was base or bust for him
The general audience won’t love Geno but they’ll eat him up anyways and pretend to love him for that epic gamer cred
You have to understand how some of these people function

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
There was a rumour that there was 2 directs this month, one is next week, if true they may save it for the next direct. I still think we're getting a demo.
Begs the question. What's left for another general direct? Unless we somehow get a direct for the DLC that they're keeping us in the dark on.

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
Verg's just offered his two cents about Hitagi (the guy who leaked the new Samurai Shodown game and later claimed Steve and a Granblue character would be getting in as DLC for Smash):
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77160319/911662575
"I should probably state that Senjougahara__Hitagi (who has a great track record if you look into them on reddit, and is someone I talk to and crosscheck things with since we have met) has heard the same things for Smash that I have.
The only difference in our information has been them hearing that Steve from Minecraft will be playable and discussions with Cygames were happening to get a Granblue Fantasy character (which seems to be Katalina in particular) into Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

While I cannot personally back those two things on my end yet from my personal sources, what we can do is consider adding up what I have heard and put out for SSBU combined with what Hitagi heard and has said, which could point us in a direction that reveals that 3 out of the 5 DLC characters seem to be
The Square Enix character. I can vouch is definitely happening and the first DLC character at that.

Steve from Minecraft. Minecraft discussions happened that lead to my knowledge that content is planned to be present. I have been told it could be an AT, stage, item, or "possibly" a character. It looks like character, stage, and theme will be how if what Hitagi has heard is accurate. At this point, I do not doubt it much.

Cygames' Granblue Fantasy getting a guest character (Katalina mentioned by name)
This comes from Hitagi as I have said. But they seemed confident that the discussions happened on a serious level. "

Of note: he himself is not confirming anything, just commenting on things and saying he personally believes them and that overall they seem to mesh/line up.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I wouldn't call Sora a pipe dream.

At least, not as much as Lara Croft being in smash. or 2B.
Sora is owned by the most mega-watt company in the world. They're not a pure gaming company either. They own practically everything and our known to be hardballers with everything they do.

Lara Croft is purely owned by Square Enix. 2B is purely owned by Square Enix. Lara is a gaming icon (Most recognized female video game charact ever. Actually owns this record btw) just like Sora but has none of the extra baggage.

2B is just neat and people like her and she's already putting in guest appearances .

Sakurai dealing with Disney is far more of a pipe dream than him just calling up Square Enix and asking for someone they own.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Verg's just offered his two cents about Hitagi (the guy who leaked the new Samurai Shodown game and later claimed Steve and a Granblue character would be getting in as DLC for Smash):
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77160319/911662575
"I should probably state that Senjougahara__Hitagi (who has a great track record if you look into them on reddit, and is someone I talk to and crosscheck things with since we have met) has heard the same things for Smash that I have.
The only difference in our information has been them hearing that Steve from Minecraft will be playable and discussions with Cygames were happening to get a Granblue Fantasy character (which seems to be Katalina in particular) into Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

While I cannot personally back those two things on my end yet from my personal sources, what we can do is consider adding up what I have heard and put out for SSBU combined with what Hitagi heard and has said, which could point us in a direction that reveals that 3 out of the 5 DLC characters seem to be
The Square Enix character. I can vouch is definitely happening and the first DLC character at that.

Steve from Minecraft. Minecraft discussions happened that lead to my knowledge that content is planned to be present. I have been told it could be an AT, stage, item, or "possibly" a character. It looks like character, stage, and theme will be how if what Hitagi has heard is accurate. At this point, I do not doubt it much.

Cygames' Granblue Fantasy getting a guest character (Katalina mentioned by name)
This comes from Hitagi as I have said. But they seemed confident that the discussions happened on a serious level. "

Of note: he himself is not confirming anything, just commenting on things and saying he personally believes them and that overall they seem to mesh/line up.

>Square-Enix Character is first DLC

*VGA ANNOUNCEMENT INTENSIFIES*

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace

Welp, it’s gonna be Steve.
So how do you guys plan on destroying your Switch? Personally I’m thinking sledgehammer.

Mellowy Yellow

Smash Lord
Listen, if the plant taught us anything, is that Sakurai decides WHO he wants. ( Unless SE turn out to be a bunch of *****s again )

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Inb4 people say assist trophies still have a chance.
I think they do...if we get a season two. Sakurai's wording implied the pass's characters were decided, but not worked on, pre-release, so it kinda kills their odds for a season pass debut IMO.

The only possible exception is Waluigi due to how early the outrage was.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
If someone else is playing as Chrom, Robin will call in Alfonzo instead.
i can state how much i want this to happen.

Still... meh... robin could have called, tharja, or henry, and change teh sword attacks with magical slash stunts.. or whatever...

I think they do...if we get a season two. Sakurai's wording implied the pass's characters were decided, but not worked on, pre-release, so it kinda kills their odds for a season pass debut IMO.

The only possible exception is Waluigi due to how early the outrage was.
i feel exactly like this., they wouldnt put a character as an assist if the KNEW they would work it as a dlc the literal next year. and i also think that if there is only one exception, it could be waluigi.

Doesn't mean i won't keep supporting my favorites ATs... but certainly they coudl only happen on a theoretical second season.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom