• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBlue10

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SweetBlueMemory
3DS FC
2466-7799-9439
Switch FC
SW 2878-1317-0108
I like to call it either non-binary or the plant?

Plants dont have genders so uh......
They actually do. While some may reproduce asexually, others reproduce via pollination, and for that you obviously need a male and female plant.(Or cones, like for example, a female one produces the seeds, while the male one produces the pollen)
Plus this is fiction, so anything is possible.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
You know what? "Piranha Plant" is too much of a mouth full for me. Just like how I call my three favorite monsters Zard/Ivy/Squirt as a shorthand sometimes, I'm going to call :ultpiranha: by a nickname as well. I really don't like calling him "PP" for short, so from here on out, I shall call him "Planty".

If only :ultincinceroar: had an easy name to shorten. Maybe I'll just call him Tony?

OreoSmasher777

Smash Cadet
They actually do. While some may reproduce asexually, others reproduce via pollination, and for that you obviously need a male and female plant.(For example, cones. The female ones produce the seeds, while the male ones produce the pollen)
Plus this is fiction, so anything is possible.
The mario wikis call them they so no hope there. Most ppl say male bc he has Petey FS but he summons it instead of becoming it so idk.......

You know what? "Piranha Plant" is too much of a mouth full for me. Just like how I call my three favorite monsters Zard/Ivy/Squirt as a shorthand sometimes, I'm going to call :ultpiranha: by a nickname as well. I really don't like calling him "PP" for short, so from here on out, I shall call him "Planty".

If only :ultincinceroar: had an easy name to shorten. Maybe I'll just call him Tony?
What was that? On last line i think there might be a stock icon there but i dont see it its just nothing for me.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think your a gardevoir fan but sadly she was confirmed a pokemon. Im not sure if you know so im just saying so you dont ask for a character who is deconfirmed
I know.

Just need to find a good replacement quote.

Noipoi

Howdy!

I call him Nico, after my first Litten in Sun and Moon.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I just realized 2 things.

Regarding the Piranha Plant and it's gender, this is our first fully plant based character. So yea plants don't really do gender, but furthermore that's really neat! Unless in Mario lore Piranha Plants are like animal hybrids...but I don't think so.

And if you look at what each smash game roster added, counting characters like PT & Mii Fighters seperately, as well as counting old returning vets and echo fighters as additions, Brawl, 4 (without dlc), and Ultimate all added 18 characters from the previous roster. Ultimate will also be close to 4 with dlc after the dlc season, and may even surpass it if they do a second season. I just thought this was neat and put it into perspective that we have 18 additional characters to play as from Smash Wii U.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
We have some confirmed male (Petey) and female (that boss from Superstar Saga) Piranha Plants, so I guess they have genders, though it doesn't really matter for the Smash rep: pick whichever you prefer.

Also this talk about 'new fighters, stages and music' and 'piranha plant, together with a new stage' seems to cement that we won't be getting any returning stages as DLC. RIP Rainbow Road.

I hope the new music we get with Piranha Plant includes the boss music from Sunshine; that'd be nice

OreoSmasher777

Smash Cadet
So if there are 74 characters are they each need to take down about 10 then 740 master hands which means divided by 2 would be 370 so 370 humans have servered hands

Also How is Piranha plant meant to take down 10 of these hands. And what about ice climbers and the pokemon trainer

74 + 1 bc of 2 ice climbers + 2 bc of pokemon trainer = 76?

So 76 times by ten divided by two = 380 master hands but thats not even counting there palette swaps and the japan ROB and what if AT are there? How is waluigi meant to take down 10 master hands.

Jolt_91

Smash Cadet
Early Purchase Bonus: Piranha Plant takes root! The iconic enemy from the Super Marioseries is coming to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate for early purchasers. Players can purchase the digital version of the game or register their physical game card on a Nintendo Switch device by Jan. 31, 2019, to gain access to this new fighter when it is available around February 2019 at no additional cost. Piranha Plant, together with a new stage and music tracks, will be available for purchase as DLC in the future.

Read the bit in bold.
Oh, thank you. So does it count as one of the five from the fighters pass?

Luig

Confused
I finally watched the direct and i gotta say
Pihrana plant is an ingenious last character to reveal, caused an immeasurable amount of salt. Well played nintendo. Well played. Also, my friend showed me this:
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/432868409/#q432868409
Pretty wack
My theory is this is sakurai and he posted this here because by posting someone no one would want to believe no one will humor it or give it the time of day. Mindgames

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
So if there are 74 characters are they each need to take down about 10 then 740 master hands which means divided by 2 would be 370 so 370 humans have servered hands

Also How is Piranha plant meant to take down 10 of these hands. And what about ice climbers and the pokemon trainer

74 + 1 bc of 2 ice climbers + 2 bc of pokemon trainer = 76?

So 76 times by ten divided by two = 380 master hands but thats not even counting there palette swaps and the japan ROB and what if AT are there? How is waluigi meant to take down 10 master hands.
I don't know if it'll matter in the story but I don't think everyone was there. For example I didn't see Ridley and Ganondorf, so maybe they'll be regular bosses instead of allies turned evil?

Just wanted to point out! Like obviously they weren't going to animate everyone but those two villians are a little suspicious.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Audrey is the name Piranha Plant deserves and if saying Incineroar is that much of a mouthfull just call him John

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I just realized 2 things.

Regarding the Piranha Plant and it's gender, this is our first fully plant based character. So yea plants don't really do gender, but furthermore that's really neat! Unless in Mario lore Piranha Plants are like animal hybrids...but I don't think so.

And if you look at what each smash game roster added, counting characters like PT & Mii Fighters seperately, as well as counting old returning vets and echo fighters as additions, Brawl, 4 (without dlc), and Ultimate all added 18 characters from the previous roster. Ultimate will also be close to 4 with dlc after the dlc season, and may even surpass it if they do a second season. I just thought this was neat and put it into perspective that we have 18 additional characters to play as from Smash Wii U.
It all depends on how you count it, though, and that's why I don't think it's problematic for those who were disappointed. For me, I look at it as six new unique base characters, as that's what I personally care about (I don't care about any of the echoes or announced DLC). Which is why I'm still really excited for all of the old content that's returning--I just don't care about any of the new content, at least in the base.

I'll more than likely enjoy a lot of the new content once I play the game. As it is right now, I don't understand and don't personally get the modes detailed in the Direct. I may very well like them once I play them (probably not the spirits aspect, though). I also might like playing as some of the newcomers, but most of them I wasn't excited for (the closest was King K Rool, though that was more for the potential than the character itself). Won't know until I actually play it. I'm optimistic, though.

OreoSmasher777

Smash Cadet
Heres some stuff I noticed in world of light trailer

1) When palutena dies pit and Dpit lose their flight

2) Sonic tries to save pikachu

3) Everyone noticed that last one but the duck tries to fly but wont leave the dog behind..

4) Snake hides in a box

5) Links shield deflected it he could of sur vived if he was smart

6) The last scene with everyone dark may refrence the first scene when inkling was revealed

7) If we get dark versions of everyone then Dark Dark Samus? Dark Ridley? Dark Dark Pit? Dark isabelle?!?

Jolt_91

Smash Cadet
Some people mentioned skull kid is deconfirmed. Where was that exactly?
Also I don't think spirits deconfirm a character

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Some people mentioned skull kid is deconfirmed. Where was that exactly?
Also I don't think spirits deconfirm a character
He's listed among the Assist Trophies on the main site.

And yeah, spirits are basically trophies. Even playable characters can be spirits, so it doesn't mean much to begin with.

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
Piranha Plant actually makes more sense as a character than just about anybody else that has been revealed, if you think about it.
What kind of self-respecting leaker would leak Piranha Plant? Nobody would believe it, even if you showed them video and gameplay footage. It's so unbelievable there's no way anyone could leak it.
Vergey Ben even said he had been leaked on Piranha Plant but decided not to reveal it because he didn't have enough evidence.
Piranha Plant is unleakable. Sakurai beat everyone.

PlugMeister

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PlugMeistr
Switch FC
SW-7021-0200-5077
As petty as this may sound, I've realized that part of the fun in Smash for me is seeing people get legitimately angry over characters being or not being in a video game intended for kids.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
As petty as this may sound, I've realized that part of the fun in Smash for me is seeing people get legitimately angry over characters being or not being in a video game intended for kids.
A guilty pleasure of mine too.

D

Deleted member

On the DLC:

Characters needing to come with music and a stage is almost a restriction, as it makes it less likely for characters from IP already in the game getting in as DLC. Thus:

Potential Packs:

SMRPG - Geno, Forest Maze, Music from SMRPG

Banjo-Kazooie - Banjo & Kazooie, Spiral Mountain/Grunty's Lair, Music from B-K & B-T

Rayman - Rayman, Some level, music from Rayman

Minecraft - Steve, Minecraft stage, MC music

Monster Hunter - Male&Female Hunter, MonHun stage, MonHun music

Yokai Watch - Jibanyan, YW Stage, YW music
(this one really hit me as super obvious, he'd be like a rival to Pikachu even).

FE 3 Houses - Edgelord chick with the axe, Some castle from the game, music from the game

Rhythm Heaven - Chorus Kids, RH stage, RH music

Paper Mario - Paper Mario, a stage from PM, Music from PM

That's all I can think of, but those are all the ones that seem realistically possible to me. Reason I'm not mentioning KH or DQ is because it seems more than obvious Geno is the rumored SE character. As for other Capcom IP like DMC, I think Capcom would prioritize MH over DMC, and MH is a better fit for Smash anyway.

In addition to this, if you recall, last game we got a TON of Mii costume as DLC, and with them being Online friendly now, you can be we're gonna get more. They're likely gonna be sold seperate from the indiviual character packs, but released alongside them in sets, like they were last time.

Thus, this actually lines up with Vergeben's claims of there being Minecraft content in the game. Two things, if Nintendo WANTS to make the N64 mini a worthwhile, they're gonna need the Rare game, thus a deal with Microsoft has to be made. And Minecraft as Mii costumes makes SO much sense. You can literally make the Mii Swordfighter be Steve, and even have Creepers be like a mask for them as well, and such. In fact, if we get B-K I can see it coming with a lot of Microsoft owned content as Mii costumes. Minecraft Steve, Creeper mask, Rare characters like Rash (for Brawler), Conker, Joanna Dark (for Gunner), Grunty, Mumbo, Bottles, Tootie, Killer Instinct Characters like Jago and Sabre Wulf, etc... and even Halo content as well. i can easily see Master Chief being a Mii costume for Gunner considering Akira from VF and Heichachi got one.

Like, if you stop to think about this, it makes SOOOOO much sense all of the sudden.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
You know what? Forget Dixie Kong. This is the DK echo fighter we need.

I'm joking in case it wasn't clear. Although I'd rather see Dixie be unique if it's possible.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
I'm not an Isaac fan but I can understand why they would be upset about it. From what I'm aware this could've been a great shot at getting another Golden Sun game.
Doubt it. F-ZERO speaks for itself.

Nintendo is more about doing whatever they want than what the fans want.

D

Deleted member

Off-Topic? But I think Terra would be a better name.
Do you guys think Pomemon would be better without Grass?
No, grass represents nature. It's also it's own kanji in Japanese 草 (kusa) which is probably the reason why it's treated as a separate element. Alongside 火 (hi - fire) 水 (mizu - water) 竜 (ryuu - dragon) 虫 (mushi - insect) 電 (den- electricity), etc...

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I want Piranha Plant to go in my room, read me a bedtime story and encourage me that my dreams are possible as long as I work hard every morning.
PP sounds like a good parent
We know that the DLC has at least been planned since August.

Stage Select screen had 6 empty slots in the August Direct and still does. 6 DLC characters with 6 DLC stages. Bada bing bada boom.
6th being piranha plant

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Reason I'm not mentioning KH or DQ is because it seems more than obvious Geno is the rumored SE character.
It's funny because it seems to be the contrary:

-Spawn-Wave seems to hint HARD at Sora/ Square-Enix Character being the first shown at the VGA and so far, his record is perfect with a 12-0 with the recent leak debunk. The Square-Enix Character seems to be the "other missing one" he was talking about when the mural was shown, meaning he probably know it's identity. Alongside his tweet about Geno being a spirit and how "this will go well" probably how he knows that **** will goes down

-Vergeben said that he have a list of names of Square-Enix Characters but he also said that he NEVER listed any names on that list... And guess which Character he allowed himself to comment about a month ago? Geno.
He is also saying that there is a very good chance that said Characters will be the first one to be shown

We live in a world where the two most truthfully leaker/insiders smash wise hint at everything beside Geno.

And in a world where Sora is a serious contender.

What a ****ing bizarro world we are in but I love it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's funny because it seems to be the contrary:

-Spawn-Wave seems to hint HARD at Sora/ Square-Enix Character being the first shown at the VGA and so far, his record is perfect with a 12-0 with the recent leak debunk. The Square-Enix Character seems to be the "other missing one" he was talking about when the mural was shown, meaning he probably know it's identity. Alongside his tweet about Geno being a spirit and how "this will go well" probably how he knows that **** will goes down

-Vergeben said that he have a list of names of Square-Enix Characters but he also said that he NEVER listed any names on that list... And guess which Character he allowed himself to comment about a month ago? Geno.
He is also saying that there is a very good chance that said Characters will be the first one to be shown

We live in a world where the two most truthfully leaker/insiders smash wise hint at everything beside Geno.

And in a world where Sora is a serious contender.

What a ****ing bizarro world we are in but I love it.
Sora has major issues in that he's partially owned by Disney, meaning you'd also have to strike a deal with them, and they'r even more protective over their IP than Nintendo is. Nomura and SE being ok with it aren't the only necessary parts of the puzzle. You also gotta contend with Disney.

Second, Geno is Sakurai's personal pick for a character, and he's ALREADY in the game, meaning Nintendo already has the rights to use him and do whatever they like with him. Without a doubt, Geno's getting in. He's the only character who's a certain lock for DLC. For Sora to get in, we'd need to hear rumors of there being a SECOND SE character planned for DLC, and even then, what's there to say it'd be Kingdom Hearts, and not the ever more popular and iconic Dragon Quest that takes that second slot?

People "hinting" doesn't mean anything at all. It leaves a lot of room for personal inference. All we know is a leak that there's Minecraft content in the game, and a SE character planned. No leaks verifying who that character is, but if you piece it together it's very obviously Geno. If anything, because he's Mr. Sakurai's personal no.1 pick.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Audrey is the name Piranha Plant deserves and if saying Incineroar is that much of a mouthfull just call him John
:ultpiranha:'s name is Izzy. Case Closed.
You see, I was calling him "Planty" so it'd be easy for people to know who I'm talking about, but if we want to give him a real name then I insist we call him Pablo Piranha, or Pablo for short. He deserves a cool alliterate name like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom