• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Go watch the direct again and Rex's section. Sakurai explain why Rex is literally deconfirmed from DLC-
I understand that. I just don't think it means anything in the long run. But that's only if we get more than one wave of DLC. He's absolutely out for the 5 DLC slots that have been announced.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Question: why is it that when a certain Mii costume is announced, like Rex's, that character which the costume is based off of is deconfirmed? Has this ever been stated?
It's never been stated as far as I know, unless there's an interview with Sakurai that i'm forgetting.

However in Smash 4 a lot of popular characters got mii costumes instead of being playable. This was seen as a consolation prize. Mii costumes did exist of playable characters, but the ones that were not playable, didnt become playable until Smash Ultimate.

Plus Sakurai's statement in the direct could be interpreted in a way that suggests Rex won't be DLC so here's a costume, please understand.

VashTehStampede

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
8506-1485-4895
Because 90% of the time. Mii Costume are a way for Sakurai to give a nods to Characters he can't make as a fighter.

Heck, he literally said that Rex is a Mii costume because DLC were planned since the beginning and his game came too late.

This is why Lloyd’s mii costume missing and him not being an assist trophy or spirit sticker makes me think he’s one of the DLC!

Akg0001

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Akin01
So there is room for 6 stages. So we are getting 109 stages at the end. Not 108.

Am i right?

osby

Smash Obsessed
I understand that. I just don't think it means anything in the long run. But that's only if we get more than one wave of DLC. He's absolutely out for the 5 DLC slots that have been announced.
At this point, I'm not sure we'll get a second DLC wave. Sakurai has been dropping hints that he's exhausted since E3 and since this game is so focused on making competitive play good, I don't think they want to go overboard with extra fighters.

Not to mention people aren't going to be satisfied with any amount of DLC, anyway.

Galgatha

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SinChill
At this point, I'm not sure we'll get a second DLC wave. Sakurai has been dropping hints that he's exhausted since E3 and since this game is so focused on making competitive play good, I don't think they want to go overboard with extra fighters.

Not to mention people aren't going to be satisfied with any amount of DLC, anyway.
I don't think he is simply dropping hints anymore. He literally stated "will I ever get a break?" or something along those lines in this direct.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

Only time will tell. Nintendo wants to put some focus on DLC and Smash is a perfect cash cow for that. You may not be able to satisfy everyone, but you can get close, and I think a 2nd wave of DLC focused on promotions is a good way to do it.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Only time will tell. Nintendo wants to put some focus on DLC and Smash is a perfect cash cow for that. You may not be able to satisfy everyone, but you can get close, and I think a 2nd wave of DLC focused on promotions is a good way to do it.
We still don't know if "promotion" is even a concept in Sakurai's mind, though.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Honestly though, I expect our first "REAL" DLC character to be released at the same time as Plant, probably revealed next month like Spawn Wave has been soo adamantly hinting at.

Funnily enough, that'll fill up all the rows, so they'll have to line break for the next 4 characters.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
He certainly deserves one.
The problem is he really doesn't have to continue to do Smash. If the series is becoming too much of a burden and he wants to be free to do other things, he could hand the series over to someone else. I really think he should after all this. But in a way he sees the series as his baby and is unwilling to let it go. I don't think Nintendo is forcing him at gunpoint to do all that he is doing. He's just doing all this himself. It's his choice. But then complains he never gets a break. Sheesh.

Last edited:

TheBlue10

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SweetBlueMemory
3DS FC
2466-7799-9439
Switch FC
SW 2878-1317-0108
Hey so, have things calmed down since the Direct?

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
I'm really sorry Geno fans, I've never gotten to play SMRPG, and I've never even owned a Sony console, but Sora has my full attention and would blow my socks off way more than Geno. I've always been fascinated by Kingdom Hearts and wanted to play, but I don't want to buy a PS4 just to have a Kingdom-Hearts-playing-box.

@TotsBS has made it clear that Spawn Wave has an absurd winstreak so far, so Sora is looking pretty likely for the Game Awards, count me in.

Galgatha

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SinChill
Honestly though, I expect our first "REAL" DLC character to be released at the same time as Plant, probably revealed next month like Spawn Wave has been soo adamantly hinting at.

Funnily enough, that'll fill up all the rows, so they'll have to line break for the next 4 characters.
While this could be true, they stated in the Direct that development of DLC fighters would happen after the games release. And it takes AWHILE to fully make/develop/balance 1 fighter. So I highly doubt we will see another DLC fighter along with Piranha Plant.

Why do people keep on saying things about the lines of characters in Smash? I don't think, since Brawl, that the game has ever had a perfect square of fighters on the roster.

OreoSmasher777

Smash Cadet
I'm really sorry Geno fans, I've never gotten to play SMRPG, and I've never even owned a Sony console, but Sora has my full attention and would blow my socks off way more than Geno. I've always been fascinated by Kingdom Hearts and wanted to play, but I don't want to buy a PS4 just to have a Kingdom-Hearts-playing-box.

@TotsBS has made it clear that Spawn Wave has an absurd winstreak so far, so Sora is looking pretty likely for the Game Awards, count me in.
Incase your wondering spirits dont deconfirm since we saw king k rool, kirby and WFT

Shroob

Sup?
While this could be true, they stated in the Direct that development of DLC fighters would happen after the games release. And it takes AWHILE to fully make/develop/balance 1 fighter. So I highly doubt we will see another DLC fighter along with Piranha Plant.

Why do people keep on saying things about the lines of characters in Smash? I don't think, since Brawl, that the game has ever had a perfect square of fighters on the roster.
Piranha Plant obviously had a lot of work done on time by the time that they were shown off, and I have a very tough time believing that they have much work left.

Likewise, we have Vergeben saying that there's a 2nd SE character to come out, and Spawn Wave, a man with an impeccable leak record, is STRONGLY implying Sora's going to be shown off at the Game Awards next month.

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
So. Qcooding the discussion the most likely for DLC were
Isaac. Killed.
Springman. Killed.
Rex and Pyra. Killed.
Waluigi. Killed.
Dixie. Killed.
Spirits or ATs, killed.
He. Look like the trophy gallery is the Sakurai's head collection in the fireplace.
So... What's left.
Tekken. Tales of. Banjo-Kazooie. Rayman. Resident Evil. Kingdom Hearts. Monster Hunter...
I really doubt that the whole DLC comes out from thirds or Corrin alikes. Specially these last ones, if Rex was left, why a younger character could be in?

Last edited:

OreoSmasher777

Smash Cadet
Also We have a 1% chance of getting another smash game.

Isaac. Killed.
Springman. Killed.
Rex and Pyra. Killed.
Waluigi. Killed.
Dixie. Killed.
Spirits or ATs, killed.
He. Look like the trophy gallery is the Sakurai's head collection in the fireplace.
So... What's left.
Tekken. Tales of. Banjo-Kazooie. Rayman. Resident Evil. Kingdom Hearts. Monster Hunter...
I really doubt that the whole DLC comes out from thirds or Corrin alikes. Specially this last ones, if Rex was left, why a younger character could be in?
How many times do I have to say this? Read my last post

we saw king k rool, kirby and WFT AS SPIRITS

Galgatha

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SinChill
Piranha Plant obviously had a lot of work done on time by the time that they were shown off, and I have a very tough time believing that they have much work left.

Likewise, we have Vergeben saying that there's a 2nd SE character to come out, and Spawn Wave, a man with an impeccable leak record, is STRONGLY implying Sora's going to be shown off at the Game Awards next month.
I don't really care what leakers say. I care what Nintendo says in their directs. And I am sure they have put work into PP because he isn't a part of that "5 DLC character set" that they touted in the Direct.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
If I had to predict DLC... well there are 5 planned, and there are 5 third party companies represented in Smash, so I'll just pick one for each.

Konami: ...Frogger? Idk, I'd say Goemon knowing certain people on here want him but I'm not sure if that'd be on their radar.
Sega: Some Atlus character like Jack Frost, though I'm more confident saying someone from Persona. I'd prefer Beat from JSR though.
Capcom: Dante.
Bandai Namco: I have been feeling strongly about Heihachi for a long time, but with the recent Lloyd rumors, I guess I'll say him.
Square Enix: Sora. That seems pretty clear at this point.

This is just assuming the DLC will be all third party, which I doubt. Plus I think Banjo deserves it more than the majority of the other picks.

Also We have a 1% chance of getting another smash game.
A 1% chance of getting another installment of one of Nintendo's biggest and most traditional series? Hmm...

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I don't really care what leakers say. I care what Nintendo says in their directs. And I am sure they have put work into PP because he isn't a part of that "5 DLC character set" that they touted in the Direct.
Well, that's your opinion mate. I'm gonna keep hedging my bets around the two guys who haven't gotten a single thing wrong in regards to Ultimate, you do you.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
But think about it- if it was just for Rex and the Base roster, it wouldn't make sense to sell the Mii Costume as a Bonus for the Fighter pass to literally deconfirm him right away if the fighters were choosen AFTER his game was out don't you think?
Not if he just got edged out by five other fighters. If the DLC fighters were chosen sometime after base, seems entirely possible he was in the running but just didn't make the cut.

TheBlue10

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SweetBlueMemory
3DS FC
2466-7799-9439
Switch FC
SW 2878-1317-0108
Isaac. Killed.
Springman. Killed.
Rex and Pyra. Killed.
Waluigi. Killed.
Dixie. Killed.
Spirits or ATs, killed.
So... What's left.
I really doubt that the whole DLC comes out from thirds or Corrin alikes. Specially these last ones, if Rex was left, why a younger character could be in?
I don't think we should count spirit characters as deconfirmed characters. There are some playable characters that are also spirits, like Wii Fit Trainer for example.

osby

Smash Obsessed
This is just assuming the DLC will be all third party, which I doubt. Plus I think Banjo deserves it more than the majority of the other picks.
Just adding but how deserving Banjo-Kazooie are means pretty much nothing if Sakurai can't negotiate them. There's not much reason he can't, but not sure if I want to see "BK deserved that slot" arguments for random third parties.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
Just adding but how deserving Banjo-Kazooie are means pretty much nothing if Sakurai can't negotiate them. There's not much reason he can't, but not sure if I want to see "BK deserved that slot" arguments for random third parties.
He'd for sure be an exception, assuming he's possible which he hopefully is at this point. I just put a bunch of third parties to make the numbers line up, not that it would actually happen (nor should it).

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Morning all

Piranha Plant still feels like some weird fever dream

Piranha Plant is getting a stage and music when he releases
What could his stage be? Please be Bowser's Castle, please be Bowser's Castle, please be Bowser's Castle.

TheBlue10

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SweetBlueMemory
3DS FC
2466-7799-9439
Switch FC
SW 2878-1317-0108
Morning all

Piranha Plant still feels like some weird fever dream

What could his stage be? Please be Bowser's Castle, please be Bowser's Castle, please be Bowser's Castle.
Funnily enough, there is a person on twitter that had a dream that Piranha Plant was a playable character in Ultimate.
A true prophet, most likely.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Now the question is:

Is the stage free WITH Piranha, or do we have to pay for it? They legit don't tell us.
I imagine you have to pay for it but it's just a guess.

It's just a hunch but I feel like DLC will be more lowkey this time.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Anyone know if World of Light is coop? Subspace was so it would make sense.

Last edited:

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
How many times do I have to say this? Read my last post

we saw king k rool, kirby and WFT AS SPIRITS
Hey, my opinion is the same about spirits. We can't count it as deconfirmations. Because if we cut spirits, younger characters, and ATs... What else we got? Every Nintendo character important enough is a spirit for sure and the fighters got versions, so, no Nintendo for the CLC? That's weird.
Samus Zero or Dr. Mario in story mode is even a bigger thing than tha spirit-fighter duality.

Last edited:

OreoSmasher777

Smash Cadet
Anyone noticed that the plant doesnt turn into petey but summons him snce you an see the plant walking in his FS

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
I wouldn't be surprised if all the DLC characters were 3rd parties

I'm just trying to figure out who the 'Cloud' of this game is going to be

Status
Not open for further replies.