• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
What's worse is that people are already trying to rationalize that maybe the "Minecraft content" is just a stage or something and not the actual fighter, and maybe BANJO is the actual fighter guys! He's in for real this time!

As if they didn't just watch the direct where everyone's dreams were crushed, people are still hoping for more than seems likely and willfully ignoring evidence. I would have thought that Sakurai would add characters like Geno and Banjo too, it seemed like he was finally catering to the fans, but after this direct, I know that we're getting Steve as one of the five DLC characters, and heck, we're probably getting Sora or a DQ rep instead of Geno. It sucks but Vergeben has proven his reliability beyond a doubt.
I'm not one of them, and Banjo's really the main newcomer I want. :p After I saw Piranha Plant, I realized Sakurai could make any character a Smash character, for better or for worst. Minecraft is likely the Microsoft DLC character--the only consolation now is I don't have to buy him. :upsidedown:

Banjo's dead

osby

Smash Obsessed
A fair point, but I meant previous history between these two. Sonic can run faster than that. But in the moment, he saw someone in need right behind him and tried to wait for him instead of kicking it into another gear for a better chance at getting away. He wasn't worshiping Pikachu, and we're not even sure if he knows Pikachu.

It's a heartwarming personality trait that makes him, unfortunately, better than a lot of us.
The scene was amazing either way, but I'm pretty sure he at least knows Pikachu from Brawl and Smash For.

NineS

Smash Lord
So, besides the fact that the DLC fighters could have potentially been chosen since 2015/2016 assuming he wasn't lying here, and he was lying that time in an interview he said they hadn't even thought about them yet and 2B would have little to no chance for round 1 of DLC,

Hell with it! I'm still going to be vocal!
I'm gonna love the game anyway. You all are too, and you know it! Including you salty few reading this right now. You may claim you won't, but your love for the game is the reason you're even here in the first place.

And to those of you who are salty over Piranha Plant, well. You've got a pretty good reason to be salty over it honestly, it's understandable.
You've got pretty good reason to say this direct was kind of underwhelming and disappointing too. Not gonna lie.

I guess I mean to direct this more at the people acting like this is the end of the world and Sakurai should be 6 feet under.
Those really angry and angsty people, here's a message:

It's okay to be upset. Just don't go around bashing people for actually enjoying it, or saying this game has gone downhill and saying absolutely everyone hated it.

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
Unpopular opinion time! Everybody is disappointed in Target Smash, Home Run Contest and Stage Builder being cut. Exactly those three modes were the things I thought weren't nice. I am happy they used their time for other stuff than those three modes!

However, Trophies didn't make the cut. That's sad. But understandable.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I will when people start taking him a little more seriously. The problem is people are still trying to make revisionist history and say Verge only got lucky.

Plus, I saw the opportunity to make a meme and I just had to.
But...I thought the script we had to follow was that all Insiders were unreliable? :4pacman:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
The scene was amazing either way, but I'm pretty sure he at least knows Pikachu from Brawl and Smash For.
I'm basing my assumption on the fact that he basically skipped to the final boss of SSE and Smash For lacked any story mode. If Smash has a "canon", we're not sure if Sonic has met anyone.

Shroob

Sup?
As far as HRC, I'm not willing to give up on it being gone 'yet'.

Sandbag's still an item, and at the bottom of the "Modes" page, there's this:

Untitled.png

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
So did Sakurai say that dlc was decided in 2015? I'm really hoping Spawnwave is right and we get Sora at the Game Awards.
Yeah. Based off of Sakurai's words, all characters base + the 5 DLC characters were decided at the same time. Characters from later games aren't getting in.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
So did Sakurai say that dlc was decided in 2015? I'm really hoping Spawnwave is right and we get Sora at the Game Awards.
Yeah they haven’t been made yet but the 5 fighters + Piranha were decided with the base roster

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
So, does anyone know or have an idea to how the Grinch leak was done?
I wrote this up earlier in the day. It's just Photoshopping knowhow and some clever ideas to "legitimize" it.

I'm not the faker, but here's the gist of it.

Open the current banner (at the time) in Photoshop. Select which characters you want to add in and find pictures of them. Open them in Photoshop too.

Use the lasso tool to outline current characters on the poster that you wish to move, copy and paste those renders onto new layers, and use the paint or smudge tool to add minor details on those characters that may have been hidden before (e.g. Greninja's tongue). None of these details have to be remotely perfect since the final image will be blurry as hell.

Use the smudge tool on the background layer (the original banner image) to fudge the scenery and cover up characters in their old spots. Then copy and paste each of the characters you want to add in from the files you have open. Resize them to fit, and, to make sure no one traces the image back to the reference you used, use the smudge, paint or lasso tool to move portions of the body into different poses. Like, say, Kazooie's wings. Make one go up higher and the other come back across. Now it no longer matches any known render and the blurriness will cover up your mistakes.

Finish the background on the edges with the smudge tool, draw in some overlapping layers with colors eyedropped from the image itself, find renders of the Smash Ultimate logo and Switch logo, paste them as new layers to cover up mistakes, look it over for small missing details, then save it on a USB, walk to Kinkos, print it out.

All of this can be accomplished in an afternoon.

As for the Grinch and store hanging fixture prints, one of two things:

1) The guy actually had access to some of this stuff from this workplace, either through a friend/family member or his own job, and used them to legitimize his leak. OR
2) He looked for a company that does this sort of promotional printing for Nintendo or Bandai Namco and, much like we did, found their video on how they print these things and made that in Photoshop too, printed at Kinkos.

Then, to justify the blurriness he needed, he sent a Snapchat photo with a duplicate account, disguised it as a private conversation gone wrong and used a poorly "hidden" name in the photo to make sure people trying to discredit the leak could find this guy on LinkedIn and find the printing company on his resume to make it all the more real. Pick someone in France with very little on their resume to avoid the possibility of him, say, coming onto Twitter and just saying, "Nah, that's not me." This is the most clever part. The rest isn't really any different from the Palutena tease before Smash 4 or other blurry Photoshop "leaks".

osby

Smash Obsessed
During Smash Ballot, fans: "We need more villains and characters with unique body types!"

Sakurai, already sketching Piranha Plant: "You said it, not me."

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Like, flat out, I was one of the biggest "Ehhhhhhhhhhh" when it came to Verg, but after all this?

Smash 4 Vets+Ices+Snake
Ridley
Simon
Isabelle(Unsure of echo status, like pretty much all of us at the time)
Ken
Incineroar
Isaac Assist Trophy the literal NIGHT BEFORE
Never budged against Grinch Leak once and maintained a non-conflicted source
"2nd SE rep" backed up by the likes of Spawn Wave

The only thing left here is the Minecraft Content, and if it's DLC, we'll probably be waiting until E3 to see it anyway.

At this point, **** off, this isn't 'guessing'.
Oh, Verge does tend to have a lot of actual insider information...but literally every leak I've seen from him has had bits where he was just flat out wrong..so I'm still a big 'meh' on anything he says, it'll always be 50/50 to me whether its legit or bs because I've seen multiple times how he ends up with leaks.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Oh, Verge does tend to have a lot of actual insider information...but literally every leak I've seen from him has had bits where he was just flat out wrong..so I'm still a big 'meh' on anything he says, it'll always be 50/50 to me whether its legit or bs because I've seen multiple times how he ends up with leaks.
All of the other Vergeben's have a terrible track record. The one assigned to Smash Bros has a perfect track record. :troll:

(but could we have at least gotten the one who wasn't a gigantic asshole?)

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Realtalk for a second.

After all the heartfelt responses to a single animation involving the entire cast of Smash Bros getting eliminated all Infinity War style, does anyone else have a sudden strong urge for a Smash-cast RPG?

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Yeah they haven’t been made yet but the 5 fighters + Piranha were decided with the base roster
I really disagree with Sakurai's decision to plan DLC characters that way..hopefully they plan to do a Fighter Pass 2 or something with newly planned characters so that more recent characters like Rex & Pyra can get into the game.

Realtalk for a second.

After all the heartfelt responses to a single animation involving the entire cast of Smash Bros getting eliminated all Infinity War style, does anyone else have a sudden strong urge for a Smash-cast RPG?
I always have...or at least adding Nintendo to those Project x Zone games as more then just guests..particularly this version of Zelda and BotW Link.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I wasn't counting echoes
After Ken and Chrom, you might want to count them, as well.

Realtalk for a second.

Isn't World of Light just that? :4pacman:

I want that since Brawl, tbh.

Last edited:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
So you’re going to erase Sticker Star, Sonic 06, No Man’s Sky, Mass Effect Andromeda, Mighty No. 9, Destiny, Banjo And Kazooie Nuts and Bolts, Superman 64, and Star Wars Battlefront II from the timeline then?
Hey now.

You forgot a "2" after Destiny. Destiny 1 was fine.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
As much as I complained about Spirits earlier... coming up with what their modifiers could be is actually pretty fun. Like the Formula Skell might be a Giant ROB with a Jetpack and Superscope, to replicate Skells being 8 times larger then a person, equipped with flight modules and automatic weaponry. I do wish they had more palette and appearance modifiers to make them look the part, though. Even just messing with saturation and brightness on characters, and letting players do the same to their amiibo fighters would be nice. (Asking to be able to set hair color, outfit color etc on each character is obviously a bit much to ask for.)

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
So you’re going to erase Sticker Star, Sonic 06, No Man’s Sky, Mass Effect Andromeda, Mighty No. 9, Destiny, Banjo And Kazooie Nuts and Bolts, Superman 64, and Star Wars Battlefront II from the timeline then?
Wait, did ANYONE have any hopes for Supes 64?

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I really disagree with Sakurai's decision to plan DLC characters that way..hopefully they plan to do a Fighter Pass 2 or something with newly planned characters so that more recent characters like Rex & Pyra can get into the game.

I always have...or at least adding Nintendo to those Project x Zone games as more then just guests..particularly this version of Zelda and BotW Link.
On the website it says "get all game DLC." It seems like, as it's planned now, that's it. I wish that wasn't the case, and I hope it isn't, but it seems fairly likely we'll only get the 5 DLC characters, and they're already planned.

ChronoKatie

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cocobrien
Switch FC
7004 2762 0628
Wait, there is actual confirmation that DLC characters were decided with the base roster?

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
Love how some people just forget what came before this direct so they can try to justify calling it the most disappointing game ever.

We have EVERY character back. All of them, even Snake and Pichu. That's 65 characters back.
A grand total of 11 new characters for the base roster. We're up to 76 characters.
Two of which include Ridley and K Rool, by far the two most desired picks from the Smash fanbase as a whole.
Inkling, Isabelle, Incineroar (woah lotta I's), and Simon, all of which bring new, interesting stuff to the game.
We're getting 6 more characters through add-on content (and you don't even have to PAY for the meme one).
More items, Pokeball Summons, and Assist Trophies than ever before.
103 stages and 900 songs, with more of each down the pipeline.
We have a brand-new Adventure Mode with a ton of things to uncover.
A system that blends Brawl's Stickers with Smash 4's Equipment in a much more interesting and flavorful way.
Squad Strike, Smashdown, Stage Morph... y'know, all of that way-past-cool stuff they revealed only a bit more than 2 months ago.
A brand-new, much faster and more technical engine for actually having fun playing the game.

You have the right to say you're let down by the final reveals, but to try and use that to demean the quality of the game as a whole (especially when plenty of you were more than excited leading up to this) is just petty. I can understand the salt over Piranha Plant (as much as I adore him), but he didn't 'take a slot' from anybody, anybody you think he 'stole a slot from' was just never really in the running in the first place.

At this point, Veggiebahn most definitely is legit. There's no debating it. The man was right on every single claim he made, and he has continued to double down on Square Enix and Minecraft. I'd believe him.

I guess as it stands, the current reasoning for the Grinch leak is that one group worked on the art together, and then requested their buddy Eric, who worked with Grinch stuff, to print their fake banner? Actually pretty reasonable, but goddamn if they didn't do a good job crushing the hopes of many.

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130

It would be kind of weird to stop Smash DLC only 2 years into the Switch's lifespan, especially since Nintendo said they're focused on pushing DLC for there most popular games (Smash obviously being the biggest of all of them).

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
Yeah, but they also need something to sell the Fighter pass very soon they can't just wait and hope that people blindly buy it.

And what a better way to do so than revealing the first Character in it the night of the game release?
still i think if they do show sora off as a character he would be released some time in janurary, what better time then that

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I wonder what the reaction would have been if Pirhana Plant came in a trio with a Moblin and for arguments sake, a Space Pirate under the concept of 'Commom Enemy Pack'.

I mean, I'm already a fan of Pirhana Plant but it hurts my brain he's on his own as a minion and would love to see a couple of others alongside him to even out the grouping.

Soulsaint

Smash Apprentice
I said it before the direct. But can i just once again mention the fact that the Grinch is a troll character. What many actually saw as the convincing part of the leak was actually the thing that made me really wary. I wasn't on team real, fake or doubt. I was on Team I'll wait and see what I get. (Did we hear anything afterwards?) I'm really glad I was as I can really appreciate everything still. Isaac hurts regardless.

But again.

The reason I wanted Isaac was because I really wanted a plant based character.

And then I get a plant instead.

I still can't fathom this but it's still hilarious to me. I will play him for sure.

And incineroar looks so beautiful. My little fur baby<3

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom