• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
No, he knew about Piranha Plant.

View attachment 174984

He just didn't say anything about it, and can you blame him?

Like, if yesterday he had said "The non-Incineroar Nintendo character is Piranha Plant," would any of us have actually believed him? Even myself, who has always believed Vergeben at his word, would call bull****.

Not even Vergeben and his source ****ing believed it. So what'd he do? He rightfully erred to the side of caution.

Good play on his part.

I still believe in Vergeben. Dude's been 100% right so far, and his source that said we'd get Minecraft content is his most reliable one (if I recall correctly).

Minecraft Content could take the form of anything. All we know is that we're getting it. At this point, we're 99.99% going to get either Steve as a playable character with a stage and music, or Banjo & Kazooie as a character with a stage and music and Steve and other Minecraft content being side content (Mii Costumes, Spirits, Assist Trophies, etc.).

Unlike the Sora/Geno debate, there's no clear winner to this one in my opinion. Steve has raw widespread popularity through Minecraft, but I would say that Banjo's fanbase is one of the most dedicated fanbases out there and have definitely made their voices heard.
Forgive me for not believing his claim. But seriously, whether or not he believed it, he could've easily said "there is potentially a very strange pick" or something to that effect. But considering some other things we've heard out of his mouth, I have no doubt he'd like about this for fifteen more minutes of internet fame. Until I see true proof, his well has run dry as far as I'm concerned.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Honestly, **** it. I'm not even that disappointed anymore. I think I can handle what the game has to offer, and that's leagues of content, so yeah. If I need to keep myself busy, I know where to go.

xXShadeXx

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3241-7928-4020
Btw, everyone complained about the side modes in the last game and wanted one big mode.

Now that Sakurai does just that? Salt.
You know how people are. You can't please everyone. And even then, you give people what they want, they all truly won't be satisfied and will want more.

Shroob

Sup?
Dude if I was trolling like usual I’d be insulting people and throwing out hot takes that no one actually believes
But you guys are right. Perhaps I’m simply getting post-Direct blues.
I felt the same way in regards to the ESRB leak.

Just take a step back, maybe stay away from Smash for a few days, and you'll be fine.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I am super excited for having a super-unique character because I plan on actually playing the game.

D

Deleted member

And the Square Enix Rep please be Sora

Yeah that was like a week or two ago. Right about when Spawn Wave teased Sora at the VGAs.

Ok, BUT.

Imagine if they reveal Steve at E3 2019 or some other major event. That would be immense.

In terms of scale Sora, currently deemed one of the characters capable of breaking the internet through inclusion in Smash would like a 5.0-5.9 on the Richter (haha like the Castlevania character) Scale in terms of shaking up the internet.

Steve? He'd easily be a 9.0+. That's the highest the scale can go, and I'd realistically peg him at a 10.0 or 11.0+; it'd be truly cataclysmic. No one would be unaffected by Steve's announcement. You'd see it everywhere. Everyone knows what Minecraft is, and a lot of people have played it and still play it (currently the game sits at 91 million players as of October 1st, 2018). You know every Minecraft fan would pick up on that and freak out. More than that, every Smash fan would freak out because it's ****ing Steve and either you're excited as **** for him or asking how the **** did he get in? This extends to the core and casual Nintendo fanbase, because the core fanbase is thinking the same things as the Smash fanbase, and the casual fanbase? They're excited to play as Steve, who they know and love through Minecraft.

Also you know parents are going to shell out their credit cards to buy their screaming child Steve in Smash Bros in droves. Hell, a good amount will likely buy Smash for their kid BECAUSE it has Steve in it. So Sakurai isn't just selling Steve as a character, he's selling copies of the game through association.

Steve would be nothing short of a genius marketing move on the part of Nintendo and Microsoft, and it makes sense as Minecraft is the game that "officially" brought the two together to the casual bromance we now know today. It'd make both of them so much money it's scary just thinking about it.

While Banjo may seem more popular within the core fanbase, and his own fanbase is certainly vocal, I do wonder if that can stand up to the RAW, UNADULTERATED POPULARITY that Steve has with the casual fanbase and with prospective players.

Guess we'll find out.

Also they revealed ****ing Piranha Plant in this Direct. Like, why start the DLC with them of all characters? It's because they're saving the heavy hitters lol. It also makes more sense for a Microsoft character to be DLC as its easier to share profits.
On the topic of Steve, maybe it's just me, but I think stuff like the memes you see on Tik Tok and people like Grandayy kinda have been defusing the whole hate for Minecraft as a whole, and it feels like recently Minecraft is kinda at that point where it's like, "yeah, it's Minecraft, but I can dig it."

I'd be down for Minecraft content, I just hope it's explained very properly.

In the meantime, let's stand for the National Gamer Anthem.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Btw, everyone complained about the side modes in the last game and wanted one big mode.

Now that Sakurai does just that? Salt.
Probably because they're different people tbh.

tch, myself? I'm a simple man.
I just want good ranked online.
Stable connection, opponents at my skill level, battlefield and omega stages...

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
In the base game? Literally impossible.

The Virginator insisted that Minecraft content was in the game MONTHS AGO. Sakurai confirmed development in DLC LITERALLY JUST BEGAN.

Virgin Islands' source on Minecraft content was bs'ing him or was lied to himself.
All DLC content has already been decided on.

Yeah, they haven't worked on it, but Sakurai flat out said they finished their DLC choices in 2015.

I also love how like, you're the one hold out after literally everything that's happened. He has two things left, and pretty much several other even more credible people are backing him up on the SE rep.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
See, that’s completely correct, but how many people are actually gonna be able to see that? There’s a substantial amount of people in the community like amazonevan and others who aren’t going to be purchasing the game after this Direct. Yeah, perhaps it is a very, very low minority, but still. Sakurai really ****ed up. You can’t deny that.
Yes we can. We're currently doing it.

I unironically ****ing love that piranha plant. Ken's trailer kicked me right in the nostalgia. Spirits looks very fun. Not everyone in the world was waiting on Geno and Isaac. Not everyone believed the Grinch leak. And some of us understand that the best characters are never left for a mere month before the game releases. That's a terrible marketing strategy, and no Smash has ever done that before. Precedent is important when setting expectations.

Personally disliking it-- which anyone is totally free to do!-- is not the same as undeniably ****ing up. Undeniably ****ing up would be, like, Sakurai saying on-air that the game is going to cost $120, require an internet connection at all times, and will only be released in Belgium. Those extremes aside, it's purely subjective. So yes. It can absolutely be denied by those who disagree with you.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Dude if I was trolling like usual I’d be insulting people and throwing out hot takes that no one actually believes
But you guys are right. Perhaps I’m simply getting post-Direct blues.
You ARE throwing out hot takes that are impossible to believe though lol

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Yes, I would rather see my boi get disintegrated onscreen showing his personality and character than just "assuming" he got disintegrated offscreen because Sakurai didn't feel like he was worth the effort...

Heatswave

Smash Apprentice
After having a good night of sleep I feel much better about the direct now...
I guess my initial disappointment came from the three revealed characters, that not really appealed to me in a way like Ridley, K.Rool or the Belmonts (or even most of the other echoes) did, but, reality check, not everything is about me and myself and it doesn't negate the great reveals in the directs before this last one.

I'm definetly looking forward to the Adventure Mode and Spirits, the reveal was just a little bit confusing to me and most people, at least that's what I gathered from Social Media and Streamers online...
I will only use the abilities of the Spirits in Adventure mode, but it will still be fun to collect them, essentially the Spirit mode outside of the Adventure mode are event matches, which I always liked in the other games.

So, for Single Player content we got at least:
1. Classic mode with 74 (+6 DLC) characters
2. Adventure mode
3. Event Matches (collecting Spirits)

More than enough for me and much better than Smash 4. I'm still on the fence about online, as my Internet connection isn't the best and I don't want to ruin the fun for other people, we'll see.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Yes, I would rather see my boi get disintegrated onscreen showing his personality and character than just "assuming" he got disintegrated offscreen because Sakurai didn't feel like he was worth the effort...
I mean what would Yoshi do to try to prevent his death?

Guy probably can't swallow that.

Last edited:

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
:ultisabelle: is looking like a scrub killer and pretty solid. A Side B that can grab an opponent on the edge far away from it is too good to be true and the rocket trap might be able to be optimized to prevent recoveries. With the sad exception of bowling ball and jab she has all the good attributes from Killager as well.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
It's gonna be okay, Zinith. I didn't get to see Daisy's last breath either. Or Midna's. Probably because she's not a playable character.

So, y'know. Could be worse.

I mean what would Yoshi do to try to prevent his death?

Guy probably can't swallow that.
He'd sure as hell try.

Last edited:

XLIFE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
fevariblaze
Twitter blowing up on the Sonic attempting to save Pikachu gif. Okay...

But Palutena stayed back to protect her believers from the incoming doom. She straight up Jesus'ed, but even that wasn't enough. Pit and DPit had to watch as their Goddess was vaporized. Their faith shaken, their powers fading... They reacted in fear knowing the same fate that took the life of the god they serve would now take theirs.

Sonic extending his arm ain't got **** on that.

osby

Smash Obsessed

But Palutena stayed back to protect her believers from the incoming doom. She straight up Jesus'ed, but even that wasn't enough. Pit and DPit had to watch as their Goddess was vaporized. Their faith shaken, their powers fading... They reacted in fear knowing the same fate that took the life of the god they serve would now take theirs.

Both were great scenes. Also :ultbayonetta: getting wrecked was kinda scary, because we are talking about a woman that punched the god in her face to the Sun.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
See, that’s completely correct, but how many people are actually gonna be able to see that? There’s a substantial amount of people in the community like amazonevan and others who aren’t going to be purchasing the game after this Direct. Yeah, perhaps it is a very, very low minority, but still. Sakurai really ****ed up. You can’t deny that.
If they let a Nintendo Direct with underwhelming announcements and a debateably bad character choice like Piranha Plant ruin the game for them so much that they won't even play the game anymore..that's on them.

There's a minority of people who won't get the game for any character announcement or deconfirmation..they hardly change the final profit though.

Takasmash

Smash Ace
Well Im happy with the roster Sakurai given me so much it was a fun ride good bye for a awhile.:seuss:

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Not even trying to throw shade anymore, just a reassuring friendly reminder:

Screenshot_8.png

Screenshot_9.png

Screenshot_10.png

People don't care. This might seem the end of the world on this board, the most infuriating thing on the planet. Sakurai really did went too far and all that. But in the end.... that's just here. People want this game, people like this game, they don't care and with good reason. The bigger picture is way more important on this.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

It does in one small facet:

Palutena tried to save her believers. Pit and Dark Pit tried to save their goddess. But there is absolutely no previous history between a Sega hedgehog and a pokemon to justify Sonic trying to save Pikachu. He was just doing it because that's who he ****ing is.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
I’m not gonna speak for myself, but judging by reactions...no. NO ONE enjoyed this Direct, and it seems the people who say it was good are a minority.
There’s no stage builder, no break the targets, no nothing.
I think for a lot of people, Ultimate will go down in history as the most disappointing video game of all time.
That sounds like you're exaggeration about it. The majority of people will still enjoy this game, sure there's always something that can be disappointed about but ultimately the pros outweigh the cons which will lead to this game's success.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
What? Are you now going to do a 30 minute commentary "Sakurai Hates Yoshi?" Yoshi is just some cartoon dinosaur, nobody finds your (sick) obssession of him funny.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I am super excited for having a super-unique character because I plan on actually playing the game.
Can... Can I like this twice?

Eh, I'll just quote it so it gets more exposure.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
In the base game? Literally impossible.

The Virginator insisted that Minecraft content was in the game MONTHS AGO. Sakurai confirmed development in DLC LITERALLY JUST BEGAN.

Virgin Islands' source on Minecraft content was bs'ing him or was lied to himself.
*DEVELOPMENT, not planning. The characters are already decided, we just don't know who they are.

The statement of "We decided which fighters to include when we started planning" is highly suspect. It could mean that DLC was decided on anywhere from the game's initial proposal (December 2015) until now, but it is incredibly likely that DLC has already been planned. I'd say it's likely that the DLC characters were decided as Sakurai negotiated for them. From that, it's very well possible the details for Minecraft content were ironed out way back then, and it's just now starting development.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

What? Are you now going to do a 30 minute commentary "Sakurai Hates Yoshi?" Yoshi is just some cartoon dinosaur, nobody finds your (sick) obssession of him funny.
Woah, dude. Who pissed in your ceral this morning?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
chill man.png

He aint exactly offending anyone.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Also, I know this has been confirmed before but I'm honestly disappointed that Tree House showed you can hit Isabelle. How dare they.

XLIFE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
fevariblaze
Both were great scenes. Also :ultbayonetta: getting wrecked was kinda scary, because we are talking about a woman that punched the god in her face to the Sun.
We got a few god slayers in the roster yeah? :ultbayonetta::ultcloud::ultkirby::ultshulk:

Do Earthbound characters or Fe characters kill gods?
:ultryu: fought with Asura.
:ultpikachu: might have beaten a few god Pokemons on a movie.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Like, flat out, I was one of the biggest "Ehhhhhhhhhhh" when it came to Verg, but after all this?

Smash 4 Vets+Ices+Snake
Ridley
Simon
Isabelle(Unsure of echo status, like pretty much all of us at the time)
Ken
Incineroar
Isaac Assist Trophy the literal NIGHT BEFORE
Never budged against Grinch Leak once and maintained a non-conflicted source
"2nd SE rep" backed up by the likes of Spawn Wave

The only thing left here is the Minecraft Content, and if it's DLC, we'll probably be waiting until E3 to see it anyway.

At this point, **** off, this isn't 'guessing'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom