• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Super Flygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Master_Zach
3DS FC
1289-8257-7574
Switch FC
SW-5750-9817-6593
I was just looking at Kirby on the base game's CSS and it is pretty cool how he is positioned in the top center because of the World of Light trailer. He has to save all of the fighters around him.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
With the fact that DLC characters were decided during the project plan, I hope people can come to terms with the fact that Geno will be a Spirit and nothing more.

They would not throw this character in as a Spirit only to reveal him as full-on DLC. Makes no sense whatsoever.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
You confused what I meant.
Neither of those were non-Nintendo based showcases where Nintendo themselves was presenting it. A third party doesn't do the reveal for them.
BotW had world-premiere gameplay and the DLC at the VGAs so I wouldn't count it out tbh
Nintendo does care about the VGAs

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I'm not sure Minecraft would just be a Spirit; Vergeben was told "stage," "assist trophy," and "possibly a character," but he doesn't seem to know anything about Minecraft getting some Spirits.

Also, would they really go to Microsoft for just some glorified stickers?

I hope Banjo-Kazooie comes alongside Minecraft DLC.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
You confused what I meant.
Neither of those were non-Nintendo based showcases where Nintendo themselves was presenting it. A third party doesn't do the reveal for them.
Nintendo would be the one presenting the information at the VGAs though. It's what they've done in the past.

Look, if Nintendo is willing to let the VGAs have exclusive reveals of Bayoneta 1+2, 3, and Breath of the Wild (both a trailer and the DLC reveal), I'm thinking a Smash reveal isn't out of the question.

Still looking for an answer to the Spawn Wave question.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I'm not sure Minecraft would just be a Spirit; Vergeben was told "stage," "assist trophy," and "possibly a character," but he doesn't seem to know anything about Minecraft getting some Spirits.

Also, would they really go to Microsoft for just some glorified stickers?

I hope Banjo-Kazooie comes alongside Minecraft.
Vergeben's most recent post indicates he really doesn't know what the content is gonna be. He just knows Minecraft is in.

KMDP

Smash Legend
On that note, I'm going to continue supporting Shadow. They can use Sonic as a base and no longer have to worry about crunching him in as an Echo, and disabling him would not result in any loss as the Timer item is there for those who like his effects.

It's not over yet. I don't expect a single promotion for this season, but if it does well and Nintendo asks Sakurai for another one, we have a chance. All we can do is continue being vocal about our support.
Same.

I'll continue supporting both Shadow and Isaac.

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
I really hope they bring back Smash Tour, but make it a requirement to unlock some of the characters. Like "win a 60-minute game of Smash Tour as Fox to unlock Wolf" or something.

11th

Smash Apprentice
Random post probably not related to the current discussion (this thread is moving too fast for me right now), but I thought of this earlier and can't help but think it's intentional.

Huh 11-1-18.png

Just a little thing.
Also goodness, that cinematic was lovely. I think it added a few years back to my life.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I don't think that has anything to do with DLC, but with the base roster; "We decided on which fighters to include when we started planning." refers to the fact that fighters are decided at one of the earliest points in development (really, the earliest-- the initial project plan). It makes no sense for them to have set-in stone plans for DLC characters releasing next year over two years ago.
So then why is Rex & Pyra, one of the most popular and outstanding Nintendo characters, a Mii Costume, and why does Sakurai say "we decided on which fighters to include when we started planning" as an explanation for why they aren't going to be in the game and are Mii Costumes?

The DLC was planned from the start.

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
It seemed like the whole reason Rex wasnt elligible was because they decided on dlc long ago. I doubt they'll be eligible
Yeah that seems to be the case. Doesn't seem like the characters for DLC are gonna be obvious picks

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
With the fact that DLC characters were decided during the project plan, I hope people can come to terms with the fact that Geno will be a Spirit and nothing more.

They would not throw this character in as a Spirit only to reveal him as full-on DLC. Makes no sense whatsoever.
This season, Yeah probably, if we get season 2 maybe though.

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
Seems my boys, Geno (Maybe..?) Isaac, and Shadow are now dead..What a bummer. It is a shame that Geno is probably deconfirmed at this point, but that is it. That sting really hard.

But at least I got Banjo, Steve, Leon, and Sora alive.

ESPECIALLY SORA, I LOVE THIS CHARACTER AS MUCH AS GENO! GIVE THIS KID A CHANCE IN SMASH! I WANT HIM HARRD! HOPE FOR LEAK TO BE TRUUUEEE!!

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

View attachment 174850

Seriously, just enjoy the joke. There's no reason to do your business school homework on Smashboards.
I genuinely thought you were completely serious. I must've missed some sort of context.

The Shrek avatar should've been a dead giveaway. :laugh:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Well, time for some direct thoughts, I guess...

That direct..... it was..... i guess kinda.... okay, I cant be positive. That direct was pure trash. Absolute horse****. I waited months for THIS? I want the 40 minutes of my life I spent watching that back.

Ken, while he was basically a lock, and thus wasn't surprising, was still about the only bright spot for me; after all, I like playing Ryu, and I like Ken, and it's nice to see Ryu share this adventure with his training buddy/friendly rival. Better yet, he really feels like Ken; you can tell Sakurai knows his Street Fighter.

Everything else was ****. Incineroar was one of the last people I ever would have wanted in Smash (but not to the point where I'd skip out on the game for him, and for what it's worth, Sakurai definitely nailed his wrestler 'tude), Spirits mode sucks and just appears to be Smash Tour 2.0 (I WAS JOKING WHEN I SAID "Watch this be Smash Tour 2.0", you know), and the Assist Trophy section..... good ****ing god. After ALL that waiting, Shadow and Isaac were still just ****ing assists. That's not the part that really bummed me out, it's the fact that they, along with many other fan favorites that got snubbed, were held off for this ****ing long, giving their fans so much ****ing hope, only to have it ripped apart from their ****ing hands right at the ****ing endgame AND destroying their chances of being DLC. There's literally no ****ing reason they couldn't have been shown off in the earlier directs; that would have been infinitely less crushing, but noo, they had to do the **** move. THAT'S how you build hype, get ****** hopeful for their most wanted, then waiting til the end to go "lol, they ain't playable and they won't be DLC, yeet yeet." I feel especially bad for Skull Kid supporters; they didn't even get the dignity of having their character get deconfirmed as part of the Assist Trophy presentation; Skull Kid's deconfirmation was just casually dumped to the website as if it didn't ****ing matter. Magor douche move.

All that on it's own wouldn't have made me hate this game, and I'd still have probably played it and loved it. But then I moved on to the worst part of the Direct; the DLC section. I was still pretty bummed that none of my top 5 were in, and I was holding out some hope..... and then I saw Piranha Plant. Then I saw his splash screen. I didn't pay much attention to the rest of his reveal. I was mostly just standing there, slack-jawed, trying to comprehend what the hell just happened. When I finally got my thoughts back, I just thought, "Really. REALLY. REALLY. Are you ****ing kidding me? ARE YOU ****ING SERIOUS RIGHT NOW?" THIS is our first DLC character? A basic mook from a Mario game, not even an actually important one like Goomba or Koopa, just one random Mario enemies out of dozens? REALLY! REALLY?! Is this some joke? Because it's not funny in the slightest. Instead of literally anybody else, they devoted resources to a character that literally nobody voted for. What a joke. What a ****ing joke. Say what you will about any of the fan favs that got shafted, but at least, y'know, they're not dime a dozen mooks and are actually important to the games they're in. This is the only character in Smash history that I felt was legitimately a waste of a slot, as I can't come up with a single justification for his inclusion.

My absoulte most wanted ever, Waluigi, was deemed unworthy thrice, but a ****ing Piranha Plant, just one of many, many basic enemies, is apparently perfectly worthy for Smash. So in other words, a Piranha Plant is a more worthy inclusion for Smash than Waluigi or literally any of the fan favorites that got snubbed. A Piranha Plant was apparently better than any of my most wanted, and was more deserving of valuable resources and dev time in a time when slots are so limited. That just hurts on a personal level. *sniff*

All in all, this direct felt like the ultimate middle finger to me. Is that petty? I know that's petty, but that's just how it felt. I learned, apparenly NONE of my favorite characters actually matter. So anyways, I am legitimately gonna cancel my preorder. I get Ultimate will still probably be a great game, but it just won't be one for me. I wish I could still enjoy it, but I won't be able to take my mind off the fact that a ****ING PIRANHA PLANT can be playable but Waluigi can't.
Soooooo can I have your 60 bucks?

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
I don't think that has anything to do with DLC, but with the base roster; "We decided on which fighters to include when we started planning." refers to the fact that fighters are decided at one of the earliest points in development (really, the earliest-- the initial project plan). It makes no sense for them to have set-in stone plans for DLC characters releasing next year over two years ago.
That's exactly what he's referring to though, he's referring to the fact that the characters for DLC have already been decided a while ago.
Plus, the DLC characters were probably ones that were intended for base roster, but weren't able to be worked on or were considered low priority so they didn't make the cut.
Or maybe that they were decided right after the roster's finalization.

If this wasn't the case, I'd honestly doubt Rex or Pyra wouldn't be apart of the DLC lineup then. Or even the other characters that we thought were "locks".

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
BotW had world-premiere gameplay and the DLC at the VGAs so I wouldn't count it out tbh
Nintendo does care about the VGAs
Wasn't Bayonetta 2 also shown at the VGAs?

I feel like it was but I don't feel like looking it up.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Did you not read the post at all
I did, and the argument came down to "my character didn't get in and a plant did so I'm not buying the game."

Like, it's completely valid, but that is the gist of the post.
Wasn't Bayonetta 2 also shown at the VGAs?

I feel like it was but I don't feel like looking it up.
Bayonetta 2 was revealed at E3 2013.

Bayonetta 1+2 for the Switch was shown off right after Bayonetta 3 was revealed at the VGAs.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Ah c'mon guys, all you Geno supporters suddenly giving up is making me sad, and I don't even really like Gen that much. Here's the thing; you don't have to expect a character in order to hope for or support them. I know it might be hard for some of you, but if you learn to keep your expectations and hopes separate from one another you can still support a character without risking being burned by it.

Even then I think some of you guys are being a little too cynical here. Just because he's not looking super likely doesn't mean all hope is totally dead. It's not like Sakurai has ever had a thing about adding two characters from the same franchise at once. Brawl effectively added four Pokemon as well as two Kirby characters. I don't want to convince you all that Geno is definitely happening for sure (I could very easily imagine that not being the case) but it's not impossible either.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I think some of us are already forgetting what happened today.

The biggest rumor in Smash history was mercilessly killed. I'm surprised I haven't seen a gif or image of Incineroar utterly destroying the Grinch yet. Everybody bought into the Grinch leak, everybody assumed it was 100% going to happen.

Now, especially when Vergeben never said that the Minecraft content was playable, people are saying Steve is 100% a lock for Smash DLC. Please. For everyone's sake, stop treating everything that is already being called into question a "lock".

If anything, I would say that "content" can mean anything, and based on the sheer amount of Spirits there are it wouldn't surprise me if that's what the Minecraft content was. That all said, when it comes to DLC, I can't imagine that it would exclude literally every single character with a Spirit from the running. That would already rule out Dixie Kong and numerous others...that's a big O O F. If true anyway.

Honestly, characters who were unharmed by any announcement today were extremely lucky. Elma and Bandana Waddle Dee (not really a fan of him but that doesn't mean anything) are two survivors.

If I had to take a very early guess, and considering what Mystic said (not that all his information is to be entirely believed), this is what I would guess.

1) The SE newcomer, whether it's DQ, Sora, or Geno
2) Lloyd Irving, or potentially Heihachi
3) Elma
4) ???
5) ???

I have no idea what to expect, but if Nintendo announces a DLC character at the Video Game Awards my guess is that it would be a character that any gaming fan would like, and it wouldn't be somebody like Geno (unfortunately). That tells me that Sora has a really great chance there, but then again, who knows how it all works with Disney? Let's hope it works out.

We're really getting to the true bottom of the barrel for Smash. We already have an incredible roster, and I got nearly everything I wanted in terms of playable characters. Sure, I didn't get EVERYTHING I wanted, but the amount I've gotten is already fantastic!

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Ah c'mon guys, all you Geno supporters suddenly giving up is making me sad, and I don't even really like Gen that much. Here's the thing; you don't have to expect a character in order to hope for or support them. I know it might be hard for some of you, but if you learn to keep your expectations and hopes separate from one another you can still support a character without risking being burned by it.

Even then I think some of you guys are being a little too cynical here. Just because he's not looking super likely doesn't mean all hope is totally dead. It's not like Sakurai has ever had a thing about adding two characters from the same franchise at once. Brawl effectively added four Pokemon as well as two Kirby characters. I don't want to convince you all that Geno is definitely happening for sure (I could very easily imagine that not being the case) but it's not impossible either.
As childish as it is, the world today is just a lot of hell for me. The current environment. Smash is one of the things that can make me truly, genuinely happy. So I'd rather not devote too much time to worrying "WELL CAN GENO STILL MAKE IT" and have just decided to let my boy rest and see what else comes.

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings

That's projecting context, to be fair; Sakurai said nothing about DLC, and was seemingly talking about the base roster.

So then why is Rex & Pyra, one of the most popular and outstanding Nintendo characters, a Mii Costume, and why does Sakurai say it as an explanation for why they aren't going to be in the game and are Mii Costumes?

The DLC was planned from the start.
Because their designs were finalized too late and the DLC is seemingly prioritizing 3rd party characters.
You're projecting context and meaning towards something where the most obvious explanation is easily applicable.

Iridium

Smash Hero

Hmmm, so Aura Storm is back. Helps to please both Smash 4 and Brawl FS fans, and a lot of us saw this coming.

Couldn't find the Treehouse Live from Nintendo, so I'm watching recorded videos of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom