• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vrbtm

Banned via Administration
But Xenoblade isn't an anime either
Xenoblade is more anime-inspired than Fire Emblem is.

Fire Emblem has gotten more anime-trash lately, but Roy's game in particular looks less anime-trash, so I dislike it less.

Still, I just like Roy as a character in Melee. That's all.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Video games are too mechanical and elaborate to just be considered art. While they do have a lot of great artistic effects, I can't just sit down and play a painting.
I can't listen to a painting either but music still gets called art.

Or are you saying games are more than art? I'm confused.

Last edited:

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
I want you all to take a look at this quick list for a moment and see any consistencies.

PapaGenos - Leak is completely real, theorizes that Incineroar is DLC.​
Leak Review - Isaac is at least the one person in.​
Mystic - Isaac and Geno are in, leak is fake. Then goes on to say Emily is right and closes down his twitter.​
Vergeben - Incineroar, Isaac assist, Minecraft content.​
Emily Rogers - Multiple characters are assists, the leak is fake.​
Tom Phillips - Leak is fake, Banjo-Kazooie aren't in.​
NateDrake - Leak is completely fake.​
Liam Robertson - Leak is completely fake, believes Banjo-Kazooie won't be in due to "muh pride" and race.​
GameXplain - Leak is completely fake, it's too blurry.​
You guys see any consistencies? I sure do, because the one thing consistent is that everyone has different info. And isn't it weird how just very recently they're coming out with this "info"? Not to mention, a good amount of these "insiders" have a lot of stuff they got wrong, too. Never forget Mother 3 and how apparently the Nintendo Switch 2017 Presentation was all completely wrong.

People who believe the Grinch Leak have some grounded evidence to back up their claims, while a lot of these people just only say what they have, which most likely might be bait by Nintendo and Bandai Namco. That's pretty much why people ask "do you have evidence, can we see it?" because people who believe the leak have a vast amount of evidence to back up their points.

The Direct is almost in 24 hours. Until then, looks like we're gonna have one more day of hell to go through.
I just can't find it in me to trust any of them. If they all came out with the same stuff, then sure... but even the holy Vergeben doesn't convince me.

Man, this wait is torture.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
@ bayo and corrin:
Both were hated before they were even released, Bayo being busted was just a "reason" for people to justify their hatred for her(which will always be ****ing ironic coming from a fanbase that has Melee tournaments with Fox all the time but go off I guess).
I think the difference is that Melee never had balance patches, so there being an "absolute best" character was just a reality they had to deal with from the start. Smash 4 players however got to see an exceptionally healthy metagame after the Diddy nerf that then got swept away from them by Bayonetta last second. That and also that Bayo's playstyle is a little on the toxic side.

Smash Ultimate seems to be balancing out Bayo's risk/reward ratio more however so none of these complaints should probably apply.

Akg0001

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Akin01
Dlc is best thing that could happen to video gaming. Both playerbase and developers benefit from dlc!

Game keeps fresh, hype lives on, more dreams come true...

Sorry if grammar mistakes, english is not my native language

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Maybe that's why they all kept quiet for so long? They suspected they didn't have the whole picture but didn't want to seem like the "loser who doesn't have all the info", so they shut their mouths and got defensive.

Either way, they're all wrong. Nobody mentioned Shrek.
It's more them being defensive and down right rude to whoever they thought the Grinch Leak was legitimate.

Vrbtm

Banned via Administration
For someone who is supposed to be so aware of the value of their money, you should certainly be aware of the value of your time.
I fail to see how this response relates to anything that it's responding to. If I want to make something and give it to someone for free, that's my right. Free DLC exists. It's out there.

Grippy_Toad

Smash Rookie
Guys lets just all take a breath and remember that Bubsy's comeback just got a sequel. Anything could happen.

osby

Smash Obsessed

Fire Emblem has gotten more anime-trash lately, but Roy's game in particular looks less anime-trash, so I dislike it less.

You're using "anime-trash" like it's a word.

ZeldaPlayer87

Smash Journeyman
I think if I pay for a game, that entitles me to all of its content. Yes.
Right. You are getting all of its content. Nothing is being withheld. Things are just being added. They are thought up after the game is complete or so far ahead in development that they can’t be implemented in time for release. Developing DLC is also not free, they need to mitigate their cost by charging you for added content.

Bladebreaker

Smash Cadet
I hate the term "anime-inspired" and "anime" as if it's a genre that other influences things of a genre. Saying something is inspired by Sherlock Holmes makes sense, because it's mystery series that influences other mysteries. Dragon Ball Z is as different from Mobile Suit Gundam as it is from Crayon Shin-chan as it is from Monster as it is from Lucky Star--all different series of different genres with different artists and different writers and different tones. There's no generic "anime" that inspired Fire Emblem or Xenoblade Chronicles.

Yes, this is a pet peeve of mine.

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
I want you all to take a look at this quick list for a moment and see any consistencies.

Mystic - Isaac and Geno are in, leak is fake. Then goes on to say Emily is right and closes down his twitter.​
Liam Robertson - Leak is completely fake, believes Banjo-Kazooie won't be in due to "muh pride" and race.​
You guys see any consistencies? I sure do, because the one thing consistent is that everyone has different info. And isn't it weird how just very recently they're coming out with this "info"? Not to mention, a good amount of these "insiders" have a lot of stuff they got wrong, too. Never forget Mother 3 and how apparently the Nintendo Switch 2017 Presentation was all completely wrong.

People who believe the Grinch Leak have some grounded evidence to back up their claims, while a lot of these people just only say what they have, which most likely might be bait by Nintendo and Bandai Namco. That's pretty much why people ask "do you have evidence, can we see it?" because people who believe the leak have a vast amount of evidence to back up their points.

The Direct is almost in 24 hours. Until then, looks like we're gonna have one more day of hell to go through.
Forgetting about Bob Johnson?!

D

Deleted member

100 pages left exactly guys
Anything new?

Last edited by a moderator:

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Video games are definitely art: as well as being the sum of their parts (art, music, narrative), they have gameplay, and interactivity is an art of its own.

And if anyone tells you that Majora's Mask isn't art, they're chatting veritable ****.

Maybe that's why they all kept quiet for so long? They suspected they didn't have the whole picture but didn't want to seem like the "loser who doesn't have all the info", so they shut their mouths and got defensive.

Either way, they're all wrong. Nobody mentioned Shrek.
A big green guy avoided being leaked before, who says it can't happen again eh.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988

All fire emblem games are anime. The newer ones just look like they're more anime cause they have better graphics and artists drawing the characters

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I just woke up and I feel attacked.
Alright since I've said something mean about Xenoblade I'll say something nice about it to.

I didn't care much for Xenoblade 2's characters or story personally (I can see the appeal and Nia was cool, but that game just wasn't for me), but I loved the world they created with it and still had a good enough time with it. X is a more extreme version of that for me. It's characters were okay and it's story left me with several questions, but I just loved being in that world so much that I couldn't put it down. So much so that I was willing to forgive it's myriad of gameplay flaws and would be willing to forgive them again in a X2.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Video games are too mechanical and elaborate to just be considered art. While they do have a lot of great artistic effects, I can't just sit down and play a painting.
But....essentially you are.

Like when you set down to play Chrom in Smash Ultimate for example. You are literally playing someone's hard work. A person designed him, drew him, they made him into a 3D model based off that art and that person is also an artist because of that, then a person voiced him, etc.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I hate the term "anime-inspired" and "anime" as if it's a genre that other influences things of a genre. Saying something is inspired by Sherlock Holmes makes sense, because it's mystery series that influences other mysteries. Dragon Ball Z is as different from Mobile Suit Gundam as it is from Crayon Shin-chan as it is from Monster as it is from Lucky Star--all different series of different genres with different artists and different writers and different tones. There's no generic "anime" that inspired Fire Emblem or Xenoblade Chronicles.

Yes, this is a pet peeve of mine.
It irritates me as well. I hate when people apply umbrella terms to everything or only use it when it suits them.

Wambo

Smash Ace

I wish I made a list like this. Now that you've laid it all out, everything is even more confusing/baffling. Tomorrow is sure gonna be a hell of a day...

As of reading this, I'm confident in Geno and Isaac getting in at the very least. The mech Sakurai bought could still have been used as reference for Geno's arm, and then we have that "Growth" item that was shown in new gameplay which, in my opinion, proves Isaac is in and that's a Golden Sun item that can be thrown and grow into a ladder where it lands. I still have a little hope for Banjo, but not because of the leak. Nintendo palling around with Microsoft HAS to lead to something, and after the whole "Phil Spencer lunch with Nintendo" and "Phil wanting Banjo in Smash" and "Banjo being a high ballot request", if there's going to be any third-parties revealed tomorrow at all, it'll be him.

****, now that I've said that, I can't help but feel like the Grinch leak might actually be true. Chorus, Mach, Ken, and Shadow all seem like faster characters to develop than Geno, Isaac, and Banjo, and Sakurai probably already had moveset ideas laying around for Mach and Chorus.

EDIT: Some words/names

Last edited:

google chrom

Smash Apprentice
Also if you're on a subject talking about something controversial like hmmmmmm DLC, and you only use a sentence to respond in an argument when other people have thought out their take on it, your 7 words are invalid. And if it matters that much, the great thing about capitalism is that you dont have to buy it wow

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Half of this thread, sitting by a fireplace philsophically pondering the universe "What is art?"

The other half - Anime trash memes

Like when you set down to play Chrom in Smash Ultimate for example. You are literally playing someone's hard work. A person designed him, drew him, they made him into a 3D model based off that art and that person is also an artist because of that, then a person voiced him, etc.
Said I wasn't going to involve myself, but I'll just ask a question - do you think there's a difference between art and artistic efforts?

Trust me I will be the first one to fight that most videogames are art. Gotta admit though, I'm on the fence on whether a fighting game is art. Just my opinion though!

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
@ bayo and corrin:
Both were hated before they were even released, Bayo being busted was just a "reason" for people to justify their hatred for her(which will always be ****ing ironic coming from a fanbase that has Melee tournaments with Fox all the time but go off I guess).
You really can't compare Fox in Melee to Bayo in Smash 4, Bayo gets hate from the competitive community because:
1. She's by far the best character.
2. She has way too many tools that give her an answer to practically every situation.
3. She's pretty easy to get good at.
4. A combination of all three means she's both awful to play against aswell as watch.

Fox is the best character in Melee, but not by as great a distance as Bayo, he even has some even matchups. He also has by far the highest skill ceiling in the game, which not only means that there's more respect for people who reach the absolute top with him as they've put in a ton of work to get there, but also that they can't always consistently pull off victories in easy or cheap manners. Lastly, a great Fox is just so much fun to watch, he's one of the most entertaining top tier characters in any fighting game.

The competitive community usually doesn't care one bit about a character's origins and who he/she is, the fact of the matter is just that Bayonetta was incredibly oppressive to the Smash 4 meta, which was in an otherwise good place before her. Whether you like Bayo or not it's hard to deny that she needs changes in Ultimate.

I'm not denying that people hated her beforehand though, but the speculation and competitive community are not tied very tightly together.

Last edited:

google chrom

Smash Apprentice

Alright I get what you're saying now, thanks for using basic argument skills to get me to see your point and agree with you.
no sarcasm just throwing shade at people

D

Deleted member

It's wild that people are defending DLC right now, huh. As much as I disagree with Vrbtm on the whole anime thing, I agree with him that DLC and its oractices have only brought bad things to the gaming scene and the good examples that are far few inbetween do not outweigh all the greedy practices and unfinished releases it has brought.
sakurai is gonna put white chocolate in the game as day 1 DLC and you're gonna have to deal with it, I'm sorry Shish.
As long as I don't have to eat it
I agree with everything you just sai-

-fight me.
IT'S JUST FAT
What really?

Complete opposite here. DVDs are cheaper than a movie ticket.
Where the hell do you live?
I love white chocolate...:(
Get some better tastebuds

I think the difference is that Melee never had balance patches, so there being an "absolute best" character was just a reality they had to deal with from the start. Smash 4 players however got to see an exceptionally healthy metagame after the Diddy nerf that then got swept away from them by Bayonetta last second. That and also that Bayo's playstyle is a little on the toxic side.

Smash Ultimate seems to be balancing out Bayo's risk/reward ratio more however so none of these complaints should probably apply.
Then explain the Meta Knight hate

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
I think that most multiplayer games fit into entertainment more than they do art. I rarely play a video game and think of it as a work of art. Breath of the Wild definitely is one of the exceptions, but ARMS and Smash are just fun. Some are a bit harder to decide though.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Like, kinda, yes. It'd be a big shift if it were the insiders and only the insiders saying that. Tbf whenever we make statements about the general opinions of the people, we have to keep in mind that some people just haven't logged in to voice their opinions. We've got 120 people in this thread right now and only five or six percent of them posting in any five minute span, so we can't say for certain what the general narrative is.
I was predominantly referring to the insiders. They've gone from "the Grinch is wrong because of one or two characters on it" to "it's almost totally wrong" since yesterday afternoon.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I'm on the fence on whether a fighting game is art
it's like art is subjective

you're good, Leggy Ridley.

As long as I don't have to eat it
yeah that's the glory of DLC

you don't have to buy it

but of course you kinda do if you want the full roster so please just spare me and make the characters free for online subscribers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom