• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
They didn't patent the insanity meter, just it screwing with gameplay beyond the game's own interface.
Should I have been more specific? They patented the insanity meter [which is a game system where occurances lead to a change in sanity level based on the character's reaction and how they are prepared for it which leads to game play effects].

The system covers the event, the meter who's change is affected by the event and the effect which is caused by the change in the meter. I just said insanity meter because the cause and effect that make up the patent are tied to it and the name of the patent is "Sanity system", not "Sanity effects".

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
All video game characters are cartoons.

That said, when I describe Xenoblade as anime trash, I obviously mean "anime-inspired" trash. I use a lot of shorthand because I'm a human being who is lazy.

The conversation will keep going in circles like this forever and you know it

I feel like all the leaks could be potentially fake.
I think the game itself is fake tbh

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
I want you all to take a look at this quick list for a moment and see any consistencies.

PapaGenos - Leak is completely real, theorizes that Incineroar is DLC.​
Leak Review - Isaac is at least the one person in.​
Mystic - Isaac and Geno are in, leak is fake. Then goes on to say Emily is right and closes down his twitter.​
Vergeben - Incineroar, Isaac assist, Minecraft content.​
Emily Rogers - Multiple characters are assists, the leak is fake.​
Tom Phillips - Leak is fake, Banjo-Kazooie aren't in.​
NateDrake - Leak is completely fake.​
Liam Robertson - Leak is completely fake, believes Banjo-Kazooie won't be in due to "muh pride" and race.​
GameXplain - Leak is completely fake, it's too blurry.​
You guys see any consistencies? I sure do, because the one thing consistent is that everyone has different info. And isn't it weird how just very recently they're coming out with this "info"? Not to mention, a good amount of these "insiders" have a lot of stuff they got wrong, too. Never forget Mother 3 and how apparently the Nintendo Switch 2017 Presentation was all completely wrong.

People who believe the Grinch Leak have some grounded evidence to back up their claims, while a lot of these people just only say what they have, which most likely might be bait by Nintendo and Bandai Namco. That's pretty much why people ask "do you have evidence, can we see it?" because people who believe the leak have a vast amount of evidence to back up their points.

The Direct is almost in 24 hours. Until then, looks like we're gonna have one more day of hell to go through.
To quote dear old Foghorn Leghorn, “There’s somethin’ goin’ on around here that just don’t add up.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Man I should really be getting some sleep, but between the Smash direct hype and the fact that probably drank a little too much soda today I'm just not able to.

Tomorrow is going to be a fun day at work for me.
Fire Emblem is not an anime and I don't even like the franchise. Roy is just my Melee main because I'm a filthy casual in that game.

I should probably change it to something else if people are going to assume that I like FE because of it.
My point is, for the better or the worse, FE is about as "anime" as Xenoblade is. Maybe not always anime in all the exact same ways (although both have been very fanservicey lately) but still anime.

Nevermind that Pokemon has one of the longest running anime series and that a lot of its fanbase was introduced be the anime.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Because of you guys, now have to finish the chocolate in my fridge. I hope you are proud of yourselves.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Fire Emblem is not an anime and I don't even like the franchise. Roy is just my Melee main because I'm a filthy casual in that game.

I should probably change it to something else if people are going to assume that I like FE because of it.
animoo
MV5BMTMxNDM5NzIyNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzAzOTYxMQ@@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg
Come on now. A vast majority of us in the K Rool thread were extremely salty but we never made it personal to Sakurai. Indeed, the person who made the thank you card (@BKupa666 ) was fastidious in stamping out that kind of behaviour out if it did happen. Throwing the card up as if it's some kind of hypocrisy is tacky at best.
Nah fam I remember him taking part in it by saying "BOYCOT THE MII COSTUME" and this year "DO NOT LET THEM WHITEWASH US" which is very unfortunate as the thread had just then caught controversy about the thread title having an unfortunate resemblence to a hategroup and post Charlottesvile

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I could not disagree more with ''Video games are not art."

Video games require a staff of writers, a staff of artists, etc, etc.

Therefore if you consider the act of writing a story art, or creating a character concept art. The game itself is an extension of those arts.

Not to mention voice acting, composing music for the games.

Video games are most certainly works of art because they are comprised of many other mediums that you would absolutely consider art when seperated from the game.

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
I want you all to take a look at this quick list for a moment and see any consistencies.

Mystic - Isaac and Geno are in, leak is fake. Then goes on to say Emily is right and closes down his twitter.​
Liam Robertson - Leak is completely fake, believes Banjo-Kazooie won't be in due to "muh pride" and race.​
You guys see any consistencies? I sure do, because the one thing consistent is that everyone has different info.
Maybe that's why they all kept quiet for so long? They suspected they didn't have the whole picture but didn't want to seem like the "loser who doesn't have all the info", so they shut their mouths and got defensive.

Either way, they're all wrong. Nobody mentioned Shrek.

D

Deleted member

@ bayo and corrin:
Both were hated before they were even released, Bayo being busted was just a "reason" for people to justify their hatred for her(which will always be ****ing ironic coming from a fanbase that has Melee tournaments with Fox all the time but go off I guess).

@ videogames being art:
The first thing you learn when you study art is that you can't ****ing define it and any attempt to do so is a slippery slope of subjective parameters.

@ chocolates:
Love 'em
**** white ones tho

Vrbtm

Banned via Administration
It is when you claim it disadvantages you as a competitive player; if you're so financially strapped that you're whining about the cost of DLC, then you certainly can't afford to burn hundreds to thousands on tournaments to begin with, and thus there's nothing to be "disadvantaged" with (nevermind that you're just as able to still practice against DLC characters you don't have on online and other people's setups).
No, you're still not quite getting it.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Oh boy, I see we are having some...."fun" discussions around here.
0e7.gif

BrytonJ

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5522-4120-7832
I mean, if video games aren't an artistic medium I don't know what they are. In my mind they're essentially films but instead of using story as the prime method of evoking they use the physical and mental effort of gameplay (often in addition to story.)

That's just my two cents though!! There's no practical reason to define any art anyways in my mind.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Are we really having a discussion that boils down to, I don't want to pay for extra content? Because like cool you don't have to. Many others do want to, especially when it's just extra characters, not like half of the games story or something.

I mean it sounds like you already choose to not buy dlc....so what is this argument about???

Edit: ALSO I have very strong oppinions on what is and isn't art, being an artist myself, but I am absolutely not going to start that arguement XD

Last edited:

Mellowy Yellow

Smash Lord
Maybe that's why they all kept quiet for so long? They suspected they didn't have the whole picture but didn't want to seem like the "loser who doesn't have all the info", so they shut their mouths and got defensive.

Don't forget that AFTER the direct got announced, they all of a sudden claim that they know the whole roster since August.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Anyone else realize that in 18 hours we've gone from "the Grinch leak is fake but 4-5 characters from it are still probably playable" to "one is for sure playable, four are ATs, one is possibly DLC, and one isn't even in the game?" That's a huge shift in narrative in such a short time span.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
Xenoblade totally doesn't "feel" like a Nintendo game imo, or at least X and 2 don't (I've admittedly never played 1). Clunky, poorly polished platforming? Textures that load while on screen? Brain dead gameplay that still somehow manages to be overly complex? It's like the polar opposite of Mario. Man I'm making it sound like I really hate Xenoblade here, I actually really loved Xenoblade X.

Yet it's still a Nintendo game all the same and no one seems to be arguing against Shulk being in the roster (aside from dumb anime swordsmen arguments which was a long time ago for him). Whoever it was that said 3rd party characters have cooties wasn't kidding.

I would definitely argue that Xenoblade has no place in Smash, but I'm biased against anime trash.
I just woke up and I feel attacked.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I could not disagree more with ''Video games are not art."

Video games require a staff of writers, a staff of artists, etc, etc.

Therefore if you consider the act of writing a story art, or creating a character concept art. The game itself is an extension of those arts.

Not to mention voice acting, composing music for the games.

Video games are most certainly works of art because they are comprised of many other mediums that you would absolutely consider art when seperated from the game.
a g r e e d
Thank you

i bet you're gonna lose it once they reveal the Shrek assist trophy

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
All video game characters are cartoons.

That said, when I describe Xenoblade as anime trash, I obviously mean "anime-inspired" trash. I use a lot of shorthand because I'm a human being who is lazy.
Bruh, you keep contradicting yourself

You think DLC characters are comparable to bonus features on a DVD?

Seriously?
Guess what DLC is?

A DVD costs more than your average movie ticket in my region

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988

You guys see any consistencies? I sure do, because the one thing consistent is that everyone has different info. And isn't it weird how just very recently they're coming out with this "info"? Not to mention, a good amount of these "insiders" have a lot of stuff they got wrong, too. Never forget Mother 3 and how apparently the Nintendo Switch 2017 Presentation was all completely wrong.

People who believe the Grinch Leak have some grounded evidence to back up their claims, while a lot of these people just only say what they have, which most likely might be bait by Nintendo and Bandai Namco. That's pretty much why people ask "do you have evidence, can we see it?" because people who believe the leak have a vast amount of evidence to back up their points.

The Direct is almost in 24 hours. Until then, looks like we're gonna have one more day of hell to go through.
They all had to have been fed fake info. Except Ganexplain... they're just dumb

Vrbtm

Banned via Administration
Yes, but that doesn't mean I'm entitled to that thing. You're saying you should have DLC free or there shouldn't be DLC at all.
I think if I pay for a game, that entitles me to all of its content. Yes.

osby

Smash Obsessed
@ bayo and corrin:
Both were hated before they were even released, Bayo being busted was just a "reason" for people to justify their hatred for her(which will always be ****ing ironic coming from a fanbase that has Melee tournaments with Fox all the time but go off I guess).

@ videogames being art:
The first thing you learn when you study art is that you can't ****ing define it and any attempt to do so is a slippery slope of subjective parameters.

@ chocolates:
Love 'em
I agree with everything you just sai-

**** white ones tho
-fight me.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
animooView attachment 173961
Nah fam I remember him taking part in it by saying "BOYCOT THE MII COSTUME" and this year "DO NOT LET THEM WHITEWASH US" which is very unfortunate as the thread had just then caught controversy about the thread title having an unfortunate resemblence to a hategroup and post Charlottesvile
Can you find me a source for that? Because my memory is of him encouraging everyone else to buy the Mii costume despite our distaste for it just in the hope we could get it to outsell the others and speak with our wallets. To this day it's the only costume I've bought, and I hate Miis and have never used it.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Bruh, you keep contradicting yourself

Guess what DLC is?

A DVD costs more than your average movie ticket in my region
What really?

Complete opposite here. DVDs are cheaper than a movie ticket.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I think if I pay for a game, that entitles me to all of its content. Yes.
You are entitled to content that is on the disc. Expecting rights on DLC, just because you paid for the base game is illogical.

google chrom

Smash Apprentice
Video games are too mechanical and elaborate to just be considered art. While they do have a lot of great artistic effects, I can't just sit down and play a painting.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
But they can be anime-inspired. Which is (so obviously) what I'm talking about.
Your anti-anime tirade sounds racist as **** mate. Like an entire industry of Japanese can't do anything right. Literally lumping thousands of very, very different productions into one because it comes from Japan. Seriously?

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
Anyone else realize that in 18 hours we've gone from "the Grinch leak is fake but 4-5 characters from it are still probably playable" to "one is for sure playable, four are ATs, one is possibly DLC, and one isn't even in the game?" That's a huge shift in narrative in such a short time span.
Like, kinda, yes. It'd be a big shift if it were the insiders and only the insiders saying that. Tbf whenever we make statements about the general opinions of the people, we have to keep in mind that some people just haven't logged in to voice their opinions. We've got 120 people in this thread right now and only five or six percent of them posting in any five minute span, so we can't say for certain what the general narrative is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom