• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vrbtm

Banned via Administration
I means there's a chance to get more characters in the game then there would be otherwise, and if you don't like having to pay extra, you don't have to.
You don't have to tell me what I don't have to do.

It just SUCKS knowing I'll never be able to have the complete roster to the "ultimate" Smash game.

And if I'm competitively-interested, I'm inherently disadvantaged on the basis that it'll be difficult for me to practice against characters that I can't even play for free. Honestly I don't think there's no way you can defend this. It's just bad.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Funny you say that since K. Rool is without a doubt clearly twice the size of DK

The biggest reason why Bowser's size shifts from games is due to spin-offs

In almost any main mario game Bowser is clearly far bigger than he is in Smash

If Ridley would've been added in Melee most wouldn't have even thought about him being too big
Actually, Bowser isn't all that big even in the older Mario games. Him being a giant started in Yoshi's Island, and later became a bigger thing in the 3D games. A lot of it is just showing off how awesome the N64 was. However, the reason he grows constantly is due to Koopa magic. He doesn't have a consistent size for a reason. It wasn't really spin-offs. It was the main series doing so. He doesn't shift much in the spin-offs to begin with.

Ridley just had proportional issues with his current models. They made a new model, and boom, easy. His Other M model was already easier to scale down than some. Also, his Melee intro version is a matter of perspective. He was still huge during Melee's intro.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
There is no such thing as this all inclusing Nintendo feel. People try to make Nintendo into Disney, but the truth of the matter is. Nintendo genre hops and theme hops far more than Disney ever has.

I mean....Fatal Frame? Eternal Darkness? Do they have the "Nintendo feel"?

Bayonetta isn't their only M rated franchise or venture into darker corners.

Last edited:

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
I don't really hate any of the characters and I don't know why.
Sure, Wii Fit is an bit confused but....I still have fun with her/him.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
There is no such thing as this all inclusing Nintendo feel. People try to make Nintendo into Disney, but the truth of the matter is. Nintendo genre hops and theme hops far more than Disney ever has.

I mean....Fatal Frame? Eternal Darkness? Do they have the "Nintendo feel"?

Bayonetta isn't their only M rated franchise or venture into darker corners.
Eternal Darkness had the insanity meter and some of the effects were very Nintendo. Some were dark and twisted Nintendo but others felt normal Nintendo.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Which is justified, except $59.99 is all I'm willing to pay. It is insulting to expect me to pay more.
You are entitled to you own opinion

But it just bothers me that you see the DLC practice as something like pay-to-win

The game is finished either way. The DLC doesn't make the game anymore finished.

I mean it's like if you have to option to pay extra for mayonnaise for the fries you ordered. If you don't like mayonnaise you don't have to pay extra to enjoy those fries.

Yes I'm making comparisons to food again

Vrbtm

It's like buying popcorn and soda for a movie expect that popcorn lasts forever

Just skip a week of buying chocolate bars from vending machines and voila! You have enough for a newcomer!
Let's not underplay the importance of feeding yourself. $5 can get you a little more than a few chocolate bars.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
It all depends on how important you feel his size is to his character. I'm a huge Ridley fan, doesn't matter whether it's Smash related or not, he's my favorite Nintendo character, and I don't feel like his size is an essential part of his character, for me it has no bearing on his role or the impact of his appearances. Kraid is someone who I feel you can't scale down as his size is everything, but I don't feel that way about Ridley. In my opinion Sakurai nailed him in Ultimate, there's such a big focus on how cruel and savage he is, but not mindlessly so, I think it's a fantastic representation of why the character appeals to me.

I'm not saying you're wrong for interpreting the character in your way, everybody is entitled to their opinion, but I'm just trying to give a bit of perspective as to why we Ridley fans think it's okay to scale him down, the core fanbase hasn't used Metroid 1 as an argument in ages.
Couldn't have said it better, thanks.

Yeah I've always thought of it this way, sure Ridley is bigger than Samus, but compared to most any other boss in Metroid? Not at all. He's not "the big boss" he's the cruel arch nemesis. And I think Sakurai did a great job :)

Edit: also, not going to lie, but I didn't wait over a decade for Ridley to get into Smash, to keep having size arguements:rolleyes:

Last edited:

TheBlue10

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SweetBlueMemory
3DS FC
2466-7799-9439
Switch FC
SW 2878-1317-0108
I don't really hate any of the characters and I don't know why.
Sure, Wii Fit is an bit confused but....I still have fun with her/him.
That's for the best, honestly. Hating on a character themselves is kinda stupid anyway.
Unless we get the default Fortnite skin man. Then that's excuseable.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
You don't have to tell me what I don't have to do.

It just SUCKS knowing I'll never be able to have the complete roster to the "ultimate" Smash game.

And if I'm competitively-interested, I'm inherently disadvantaged on the basis that it'll be difficult for me to practice against characters that I can't even play for free. Honestly I don't think there's no way you can defend this. It's just bad.
If you're a competitive player, you're going to be spending vastly more money to travel and enter tournaments than you will on some DLC, and unless you're in like the top 5-10% of your region or intentionally only enter weak tournaments you can win, you're going to end up very negative financially, far far far more than you spent on the game if you enter tournaments with any regularity. If you have the money to burn on tournaments, you can certainly afford to throw some extra bucks on DLC to get that practice for tournaments.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Eternal Darkness had the insanity meter and some of the effects were very Nintendo. Some were dark and twisted Nintendo but others felt normal Nintendo.
It's been years since I played the game, but I don't recall the ''family friendly" image that Nintendo typically has. If anything it felt more like to me at the time Nintendo's own attempt at Resident Evil's vibes.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I feel like I've gone back to when DLC was becoming common and everyone just indiscriminately called it all a scam.

And when Nintendo started doing DLC and Nintendo only people just called it all a scam.
You are entitled to you own opinion

But it just bothers me that you see the DLC practice as something like pay-to-win

The game is finished either way. The DLC doesn't make the game anymore finished.

I mean it's like if you have to option to pay extra for mayonnaise for the fries you ordered. If you don't like mayonnaise you don't have to pay extra to enjoy those fries.

Yes I'm making comparisons to food again
You're going to make every user here hungry.

Vrbtm

Only....the entire roster is NOT locked behind a paywall. DLC is extra content for a game.
I was expecting you to substantiate this odd statement in the rest of your post, but this never happened.

The definition of a paywall to me is any obligation to pay extra money, period. It's synonymous with "fee" to me.

All DLC, by definition, is behind a paywall. Because you cannot have access to it unless you pay for it, unless it's free.

I would be mad at DLC if it's 1) On the disc the whole time or 2) Day 1 DLC that is pretty big.
Arbitrary lines in the sand.

I don't care if the DLC is day 1 or on the disc. What difference does that actually make? Why not just be against all of it?

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Xenoblade totally doesn't "feel" like a Nintendo game imo, or at least X and 2 don't (I've admittedly never played 1). Clunky, poorly polished platforming? Textures that load while on screen? Brain dead gameplay that still somehow manages to be overly complex? It's like the polar opposite of Mario. Man I'm making it sound like I really hate Xenoblade here, I actually really loved Xenoblade X.

Yet it's still a Nintendo game all the same and no one seems to be arguing against Shulk being in the roster (aside from dumb anime swordsmen arguments which was a long time ago for him). Whoever it was that said 3rd party characters have cooties wasn't kidding.

Vrbtm

DLC exists now. Weather you like or don't like it, it's a gaming practice now. And if you don't like it, vote with your wallet and don't buy it. Simple as that.
Thank you for telling me to do what I've already been doing, that was really necessary.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
As it should be

Some people out there hating on characters as if they got bullied during elementary school by said characters
I mean, I don't think people are obligated to love every character on the roster, I think most of us have at least one or two characters we don't like. The key is to not be a douchebag about it, I never talk about the characters I don't like unless specifically asked about it, because it doesn't really matter.

Last edited:

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
I was expecting you to substantiate this odd statement in the rest of your post, but this never happened.

The definition of a paywall to me is any obligation to pay extra money, period. It's synonymous with "fee" to me.

All DLC, by definition, is behind a paywall. Because you cannot have access to it unless you pay for it, unless it's free.
There are games that have free DLC on their own and through patches. Mario Kart 8 for example gave you free colors for the Yoshi and Shy Guy and Mercedes vehicles through a free update. There are also games that give you free DLC for a limited time (Fire Emblem Awakening).

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Arbitrary lines in the sand.

I don't care if the DLC is day 1 or on the disc. What difference does that actually make? Why not just be against all of it?
Because Day 1 / On-the-Disc DLC has no excuse not to be in the base game. DLC that was developed after release usually does. That's why I'm not opposed to it - we probably wouldn't even get that content if it wasn't DLC, and in a world without DLC I never would have gotten to play as Mewtwo in Smash 4.

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
I don't care about the hype for Geno.

But I wanna see his moves, and how would he play.
Then again, I got the ice climbers back. (Wolf too! Snake hot **** he fine )

D

Deleted member

Thank you for telling me to do what I've already been doing, that was really necessary.
And thank you for trying to preach to us that all DLC is the product of the Devil and no one should buy any of it because you hate it.

But no thanks, man. If you need me, I'll be sitting here, waiting for the Direct.

Last edited by a moderator:

osby

Smash Obsessed

If you want access to the result of work, you have to pay for it. It's the first rule of capitalism.

If you dislike paying for than 60$ for the game, that's okay but Smash has a lot more content than most of the games with the same price. You don't need to say it's "unjustifiable" or "insulting".

All-Star Mode is going to be brutal with all these characters. This is what it’ll look like if they go back to the year-to-year format.
I liked the way Brawl did it, actually. I wouldn't object a similar thing. Though they'll probably make it for "the order characters joined the Super Smash Bros".

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I am hoping we will finally be able to discuss the actual game after Direct reactionary talks.
Thank goodness.
After the direct I'll be thinking of my main team comp for Squad Strike, personally lol.
And whatever mystery mode is going to be.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
Just a random thought, but it'd be pretty cool if, depending on what Spirits mode is, every fighter got a trophy of their first appearance. Like Mario's sprite from Donkey Kong, Pit from the original KI, etc. A nice look back at where these beloved characters came from.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I don't hate any characters in Smash. The closest I come to that emotion is when a character is revealed whose game I've never played. But then I play their game and know their character and see how they fit into Smash.

I'd never played Mega Man until Smash 4 announcement, then boom played 1-10 in like 2 months.

Anyway, I'm more hyped for tomorrow to find out about the modes. I can't wait to play the SP, collect the trophies, and have it not feel like a chore a la Smash 4.

Vrbtm

Funny you say that since K. Rool is without a doubt clearly twice the size of DK
Yes, and? I never wanted K. Rool in the game either, mostly for reasons like this. I find his design rather poor and redundant.
The biggest reason why Bowser's size shifts from game to game is due to spin-offs

In almost any main Mario game Bowser is clearly far bigger than he is in Smash
It doesn't really matter, though, because he's still significantly larger than Mario in Smash, which is what's important to me.

If Ridley would've been added in Melee most wouldn't have even thought about him being too big
I definitely would have.

SmileyLeet

Smash Rookie
What did I miss?
This Mystic guy is hinting at a shocking third party and then closed his tweeter? I tough the Emily rogers leaker said he was wrong, can someone help me understand what happened? In chronological order if possible

Vrbtm

If it's your limit, that's okay. But some people are willing to pay more for more content and there is nothing insulting about catering to them.
Only because you don't find it insulting. For some reason. Your prerogative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom