• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
But three of those five newcomers were echoes. Richter got one minute dedicated to him, and Dark Samus and Chrom got around 2-3 minutes. Comparatively, Castlevania content got around 6 minutes 30 seconds dedicated to it. If we assume a similar amount of time will be dedicated to Geno and Banjo, That's already around 13 minutes taken up by two characters. At that point they've still got 3 more fighters and 2 more echoes to go.

Like, yeah it's possible, but highly unlikely.

True, but remember Ridley, Isabelle and K. Rool only got 2 minutes dedicated to them as well. In reality, only Simon actually got exposure as a new character.

If I had to guess, its the 3rd party characters that will take up more time than anything. So if we, for example got Geno or Banjo thursday, I'd expect them to have longer, more bloated introductions due to the crossover, while characters like Isaac, Incineroar, Chorus kids, Skull kid, etc etc etc would just be announced like Ridley/K. Rool/Isabelle.

Who knows though.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Also if we're talking female characters, the priority's gotta be de-assisting Midna and making her playable ASAP.

Fun Fact: Midna's Lament is actually an ode to her sadness that she's not in Smash Bros. yet. It's true. Look it up.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
So do people who believe the Grinch leak think they are going to go over 5 newcomers, 2 echo fighters, 5 potential stages that accompany them, as well as the new mode, various items, and a couple other miscellaneous things in the span of 40 minutes?
The math saids about 12-15 minutes give or take needed for all 7 to be reveal

TriforceBun

Smash Apprentice
It's theoretically possible for the Grinch 7 to get revealed for this Direct, although it'd be fairly tight. One thing in its favor is that there's a Treehouse Live showcasing the game immediately afterward, so Sakurai may skip the post-reveal details of a character for that (like how Ridley's moveset got detailed afterward at E3). If one of the trailers reveals two characters and the 2 Echoes just get a short mention, I could see it happening. Still no way to say for sure either way though...

TheKnight

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3539-9322-9633
Switch FC
SW-2614-3733-6607
And this, ladies and gentlemen, is how misinformation spreads.

The tweet does NOT say it is the last Smash Direct ever, only that it's the last Ultimate Direct BEFORE RELEASE.
Hey there buddy. That’s what I call an immediate reaction to news. It was straightened out in a post a few minutes later.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
But three of those five newcomers were echoes. Richter got one minute dedicated to him, and Dark Samus and Chrom got around 2-3 minutes. Comparatively, Castlevania content got around 6 minutes 30 seconds dedicated to it. If we assume a similar amount of time will be dedicated to Geno and Banjo, That's already around 13 minutes taken up by two characters. At that point they've still got 3 more fighters and 2 more echoes to go.

Reminder that Castlevania was noted specifically to be a special case and legit had a **** ton of music made for the game too. It was considered special to a good amount of the development team.

Deoxys911

Laughs and Logic
NNID
Deoxys911
The people who said the next Smash Direct would be in October sure were way off! :p

Haha, but on a more serious note, it is nice to feel vindicated for maintaining the unpopular opinion that it would be in November all along. However, I honestly hope there is massive egg on my face about the Grinch leak—getting that roster would be way better than any minute amount of satisfaction I'd get for being right about it being fake. I suppose we'll get our answer in two days, for better or worse.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Jeez ResetEra are a bunch of hypocrites.. I'm in the discord and they are literally discussing how they are gonna celebrate the banner leak being wrong.
Talking about making pictures and gifs of Incineroar dancing on deconfirmed characters. Also they are talking about the leak as if Nintendo came out and denied it themselves when they are just latching onto the words of a bunch of insiders with spotty records. And they are calling this place Trashboards and making fun of PapaGenos. Like what did we even do lol
Wouldn't expect much less from the successor to NeoGAF.

TaichiYaegashi

Smash Ace
Can we all make a deal?

If the Grinch Leak is true:
TeamReal: Be happy, celebrate, and maybe do some (well intentioned) teasing of people on TeamFake.
TeamFake: Don't get bitter that you were wrong, just smile and say "Okay, they got us" and admit defeat. No reason to complain!

If the Grinch Leak is fake:
TeamReal: Don't flame the forums or talk crap about insiders, Sakurai, Nintendo, etc for not getting characters you wanted. Just admit that the leaker did an amazing fake and fooled a lot of people.
TeamFake: Don't even talk about it. A lot of people will be upset, and taunting them will only cause this thread to get shut down. Have compassion for all of the disappointed fans.

I think if we all agree to be bound to the Whoville Contract (it's what I'm calling this), I think we will all be fine!

-I sign the Contract: SlickWylde
Sounds great to me.
-TaichiYaegashi

Fenzer

Smash Cadet
Can't be more hyped for this direct. Finally, we'll get "something", finally we're out of the theory madness, the fake leak lake and all this ****.

D

Deleted member

Aparently this is a closeup of the thumbnail real banner (yeah, I know) dropped on 4chan. Probably fake but was interesting to me.

Blonde guy (Isaac? Saki? Marche?), Captain Rainbow and a giant evil eye and nose in the background. Someone mentioned it might be Wizpig which would be great.

The Saturation on the added characters is kind of different to the ones that do exist. I dunno... seems dodgy.

Dcas

Smash Journeyman
Now all the media aka insiders, resetera and some 4chan says the banner was fake.

Tinarg

Smash Cadet
People are forgetting the point that this is the last smash direct. They're gonna cover everything from spirits to the alternate modes and trophies, or maybe even stage builder.

I'm not so sure if a 40-minute timeslot is a guarantee for 7 newcomers.

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
Spawnwave's new video was interesting.

I've honestly warmed up to the idea the leak is fake I guess (not how its fake though, because I'll never understand unless the person comes out and explains it to all of us).

It seems like he, and a bunch of other people, are saying we are going to get quite a few newcomers, just not exactly ones on the banner.
Love the little nudge he throws in at the end with possible Incineroar and maybe a Banjo amiibo (wink wink*).

All in all, if the leak is fake (its hard for me to say that lol), I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that it was roughly 50-60% right in the end.

Possibly:

-Ken
-Incineroar
-Shadow
-Geno
-Isaac
-Possibly 1 or 2 unknown characters not on the Banner

With the possibility of Chorus Kids or Banjo taking place of some of these characters here.

I dunno, I'm extremely curious to see which characters from it are AT's, which aren't even in the game, and which are still in regardless of the leak.

It seems like a lot of insiders, even while claiming its fake, say that we are still going to see a decent number of newcomers or will still be pretty happy with the roster.
Honestly this. This has been one hell of a ride but no matter who's right we're still getting the most amazing Smash game ever made. There's no net loss here.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
While I agree with the sentiment and will personally follow this, you know this isn't how it's going to go. Maybe we'll be able to sort of stick to it here, but people on the wider internet won't, and that'll incite the same reactions in this thread. Either way the mods have their work more than cut out for them.

Also, at this point I lack compassion because people have set themselves up for disappointment by believing this "leak," similar to when people denied Box theory. Getting your hopes up too high is a dangerous thing, and if you end up getting burned because of that's on you. Learn from it and move on.
Yeah I hear you. But you have to remember that most of the people adamant that the leak is real are probably 12-17. I definitely believed a lot more leaks during that age. It's not that they're less intelligent by any means, but I think it's much easier to let emotions flare, and easier to get hyped about stuff. I've seen how crappy reality is for 10+ more years than them, which is why it's easier for me to believe the leak is fake, whereas they aren't as poisoned and cynical. I can't blame them at all! (And if you're on TeamReal and near my age, I'm not trying to insult, you just have a less cynical view of the world, which has advantages)

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Can we all make a deal?

If the Grinch Leak is true:
TeamReal: Be happy, celebrate, and maybe do some (well intentioned) teasing of people on TeamFake.
TeamFake: Don't get bitter that you were wrong, just smile and say "Okay, they got us" and admit defeat. No reason to complain!

If the Grinch Leak is fake:
TeamReal: Don't flame the forums or talk crap about insiders, Sakurai, Nintendo, etc for not getting characters you wanted. Just admit that the leaker did an amazing fake and fooled a lot of people.
TeamFake: Don't even talk about it. A lot of people will be upset, and taunting them will only cause this thread to get shut down. Have compassion for all of the disappointed fans.

I think if we all agree to be bound to the Whoville Contract (it's what I'm calling this), I think we will all be fine!

-I sign the Contract: SlickWylde
I refuse to sign a contract stating that I will simply be a reasonable person.

That should just happen.

radBoss

Smash Cadet
All I know is that I've been trying to tell everyone Lanky is in but I guess no one appreciates my insider information.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Jeez ResetEra are a bunch of hypocrites.. I'm in the discord and they are literally discussing how they are gonna celebrate the banner leak being wrong.
Talking about making pictures and gifs of Incineroar dancing on deconfirmed characters. Also they are talking about the leak as if Nintendo came out and denied it themselves when they are just latching onto the words of a bunch of insiders with spotty records. And they are calling this place Trashboards and making fun of PapaGenos. Like what did we even do lol
We believed the Grinch leak, that's reason enough.
Three houses info please
So you want a Three House Tree House event?

Fane

Smash Journeyman

Generally, I doubt that the other newcomers would get more time dedicated then "They have been really popular... Here's their accompanying stage..."

Plus, he could always cover a majority of them in a column like he did with Isabelle and King K. Rool.(Don't remember if he did with Ridley or not)

Banjo being a 3rd party would get most of the focus, Geno... well... since he's from a Mario game technically, I doubt he'd be covered nearly as much as Banjo/Simon tbh.

Really, it's all speculation, we don't know how long reveal trailers would be, if Sakurai would comment on Chorus Kids, Isaac, and Mach Rider a lot, and a bunch of other factors.

Is it doable in 40 minutes? Definitely. We've likely received most info on Assists, Pokemon, Stages(clearly), Music, Modes, and other miniscule things. All that's really left to go over are All-Star mode, Trophies, Spirits, Assists, Pokemon, Stages, and new fighters. Possibly other minor modes, I doubt it though, we probably got them all for the most part, unless there's a new Trophy acquiring mode.

MaestroDavros

Smash Apprentice
Hey there buddy. That’s what I call an immediate reaction to news. It was straightened out in a post a few minutes later.
I apologize if my post came off too strongly (and looking back, it is), but I was seeing a lot of people responding to the initial post and taking it as gospel. Not intended as an attack on you, simply trying to clear up the misunderstanding. But yes, I shouldn't have worded it as I did.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I suggest you guys get your DLC newcomer predictions ready before the direct starts, because there is the chance we might get DLC announced with packs of newcomers announced.

*silently waiting for her moment to shine*

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130

Fun Fact: Midna's Lament is actually an ode to her sadness that she's not in Smash Bros. yet. It's true. Look it up.
If Midna's Lament gets in it should be true to its origins: constantly interrupted by regular enemy battle music.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
People are forgetting the point that this is the last smash direct. They're gonna cover everything from spirits to the alternate modes and trophies, or maybe even stage builder.

I'm not so sure if a 40-minute timeslot is a guarantee for 7 newcomers.
Well all that's left if the collectables, the supposed Spirits mode, the collectable and the other Single Player modes. Maybe talking about Online. Doesn't sound like it'll take too long.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Oh **** Yoshi confirmed guys
No, Yoshi & Baby Mario duo confirmed! Isn't everyone such a huge fan of Baby Mario's incessant crying? :troll:

I have my beta DLC newcomer predictions ready to go for a while now, in the scenario DLC gets announced with more newcomers on the way in the direct. Not finalized yet, but I am calling these characters early.

Are you going to include Spring Man in your prediction?

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
Alright, we could get a double reveal at the beginning between the two third parties banjo and Geno. Then, the two echoes would be revealed in a similar style to dark samus and Chrom. Then, in the middle of the direct, he could reveal Mach rider as a surprise. Next, we could see a reveal to a character important to the story mode, and a final trailer at the end. The last two trailers could also be combined to just have one at the end

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom