• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
It is interesting that the Direct is "roughly 40 Minutes long" the August Direct was 27 Minutes. E3 Smash news was 26. Depending on whether this goes over or under could tell us whether or not the Grinch Leak is true. Too bad we won't know that until, y'know, the Direct ends...

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Smash 4 only had 4 female newcomers out of 17 in the base roster. Smash Ultimate's female newcomer count, even if we got no new female characters after Isabelle, would be on par with that. Smash has never been that known for gender diversity. Just look at Brawl's newcomer roster.
It had four female-only characters, but there were a few others that were dual-gendered and could be played as either male or female, which is what I meant when I said seven :p Actually, there were eight characters that could be played as female in the base game and ten with DLC

osby

Smash Obsessed
Smash 4 only had 4 female newcomers out of 17 in the base roster. Smash Ultimate's female newcomer count, even if we got no new female characters after Isabelle, would be on par with that. Smash has never been that known for gender diversity. Just look at Brawl's newcomer roster.
Brawl was really sucked at this aspect, though. And if you count alts, For still had :4wendy::4robinf::4lucina::4villagerf::4palutena::4wiifit::4miif::rosalina: in the base roster, it's not bad.

Last edited:

Dayseh

Smash Rookie
Jeez ResetEra are a bunch of hypocrites.. I'm in the discord and they are literally discussing how they are gonna celebrate the banner leak being wrong.
Talking about making pictures and gifs of Incineroar dancing on deconfirmed characters. Also they are talking about the leak as if Nintendo came out and denied it themselves when they are just latching onto the words of a bunch of insiders with spotty records. And they are calling this place Trashboards and making fun of PapaGenos. Like what did we even do lol

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Prediction: we're getting a final smash montage set to the new Final Destination music. And ROB's FS will be dressing up as the Ancient Minister, dropping a subspace bomb and staring at the carnage with a kind of 'I've seen things you wouldn't believe' sort of look.

Ignoritus

Smash Journeyman

Best Buy allegedly just tweeted this and quickly deleted it. Can't confirm if the original tweet existed but the replies do still exist. 4chan poster is also claiming that Best Buy leaked stuff via Twitter before E3 too. Can anyone confirm or deny the existence of the tweet or a history of Best Buy hinting at info over Twitter? This doesn't seem to add up to me as I doubt the social media manager for Best Buy would have access to any info and likely just posted without thinking, but I'm curious if there is an actual record of them posting information before E3.

Edit: Also doesn't contain the context of what they're replying to. Guessing a 4chan anon deliberately posted this to be misleading, but it's still worth noting nonetheless.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Last edited:
D

Deleted member

>TFW you miss the Smash Direct because of work.

Press F to pay respects.

It being forty minutes mean this might be the last Smash Direct. Expect a lot of great characters.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
For reference:

“It has been confirmed that some live gameplay of Pokémon Let's Go, Pikachu! & Let's Go, Eevee! will be aired in a special livestream of Nintendo Treehouse Live that will air after a 40 minute long Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Direct on November 1st at 14:00 UTC / 10:00 EDT / 07:00 PDT / 23:00 JST. We'll provide full details on any reveals as and when they come.”

Heatswave

Smash Apprentice
It would be could if they release the DLC in themed packs, like Female Fighters pack, the new IPs pack, the Pokémon pack, or the Xenoblade Pack
That would be cool. Or they organize it by series (1 unique + 1 echo):

Kirby Pack (Bandana Dee + Dark Meta Knight)
Zelda Pack (Skull Kid + Impa)
Donkey Kong Pack (Dixie Kong + Funky Kong)

Would be especially cool, if Kirby and Zelda really get the short end of the stick this time (again), like it seems to unfold right now...

Last edited:

Porygon2

Smash Journeyman
Excited to see some more bosses, especially anything from older titles rendered in HD for the first time. Maybe a few that require different tactics or weak points, like Super Metroid's Crocomire. I doubt they feel obliged to reveal them all, so some secret bosses would be neat, too.

You will like and respect my joke and i will not take "no" for an answer
Tell him you meant fortified wine.

theromfather

Smash Apprentice
If the Grinch Leak is proven fake after the direct, I want to know how it was done. It would have been the best fake leak of all time if it didn't play out. The faker should get into the Guinness book of world records for how meticulously crafted it was.

If it's real I'll be happy, if it's not I'll be okay. I was always neutral anyway.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
So even if the Grinch Leak isn’t real according to everything we’re hearing we’re still expecting at least 5 or 6 characters?

Because most insiders say Incineroar is in. Most say there are a few characters from the banner leak that ARE in. And then some are saying multiple characters who aren’t on the banner leak are in.

So if you take Incineroar and another character or two, and then three or four from the banner leak we’re still supposed to get like 6 character reveals at least.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I’m banking on six more base game characters and 1 dlc reveal that’s day 1

TriforceBun

Smash Apprentice
The larger issue with wanting more female characters is that there are simply more male characters to choose from out of all the Nintendo (and even third-party) properties. I don't think Smash has ever chosen characters based on gender, but rather on a combined set of factors including relevance, popularity, history with Nintendo and moveset potential. Putting any specific "category" of fighter in just to fill a quota seems backward to me. In other words, the female fighters we've gotten thus far (Peach, Samus, Wii Fit Trainer, Palutena, Isabelle, etc) weren't chosen for their gender, but because they fit the series' criteria for being worthy of being playable.

D

Deleted member

Best Buy allegedly just tweeted this and quickly deleted it. Can't confirm if the original tweet existed but the replies do still exist. 4chan poster is also claiming that Best Buy leaked stuff via Twitter before E3 too. Can anyone confirm or deny the existence of the tweet or a history of Best Buy hinting at info over Twitter? This doesn't seem to add up to me as I doubt the social media manager for Best Buy would have access to any info and likely just posted without thinking, but I'm curious if there is an actual record of them posting information before E3.

Edit: Also doesn't contain the context of what they're replying to. Guessing a 4chan anon deliberately posted this to be misleading, but it's still worth noting nonetheless.
Best Buy leaked the Switch port of N Sane Trilogy in the past, i think.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
There's a reason I've explicitly avoided referring to it as Spirits except for when I was talking about it being a bartending simulator.
I unironcally would LOVE if spirits is a bartending simulator... XD

Can we all make a deal?

If the Grinch Leak is true:
TeamReal: Be happy, celebrate, and maybe do some (well intentioned) teasing of people on TeamFake.
TeamFake: Don't get bitter that you were wrong, just smile and say "Okay, they got us" and admit defeat. No reason to complain!

If the Grinch Leak is fake:
TeamReal: Don't flame the forums or talk crap about insiders, Sakurai, Nintendo, etc for not getting characters you wanted. Just admit that the leaker did an amazing fake and fooled a lot of people.
TeamFake: Don't even talk about it. A lot of people will be upset, and taunting them will only cause this thread to get shut down. Have compassion for all of the disappointed fans.

I think if we all agree to be bound to the Whoville Contract (it's what I'm calling this), I think we will all be fine!

-I sign the Contract: SlickWylde
Can we drop this ridiculous notion that team fake Wants the leak to be fake? or that this is some sort of silly competition?
look, the leaked roster is cool and all, and it wopuld be cool that it is the final roster. but i still don't believe the leak, it's inconsistencies and lack of hard evidence isn't enough. yes is a credible story, but i still don't have teh hard evidence to let me to believe it (the ken leak had hard evidence) Is not an issue of a competition of who is the smuggest :/

The only think i really don't want is people ******** and whining and going full bananas into harassing people because they expectations were crushed since they raised them too high withouth hard evidence. So yeah, i don't see me "taunting" people into doing that and i think that a lot of people here thinks like that. Sadly, if the leak is fake, that is going to happen anyways, even if smashboards manage to mantain it's maturity, which i hope it will. because we aren't the only smash community and.. well... you know :/.

But at least lets not be part of the problem :p

FalcoXP

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3205-1052-7736
Unpopular opinion.

I hope that there's no DLC day one...

I just want to enjoy the base game without thinking of pay for more content for a while. In six month if you like, then I will welcome DLC.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
So do people who believe the Grinch leak think they are going to go over 5 newcomers, 2 echo fighters, 5 potential stages that accompany them, as well as the new mode, various items, and a couple other miscellaneous things in the span of 40 minutes?

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer

I wouldn't look too much into it. Wendy's has made a tweet about the smash leak, i think even the same day it began circulating.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Unpopular opinion.

I just want to enjoy the base game without thinking of pay for more content for a while. In six month if you like, then I will welcome DLC.
Yeah Day 1 DLC is a Konami/EA move. Along with Disc Locked Content, Microtransactions, Loot Boxes, and all of that cancerous crap we see mostly out of Western Gaming and Mobile.

TheBlue10

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SweetBlueMemory
3DS FC
2466-7799-9439
Switch FC
SW 2878-1317-0108
Jeez ResetEra are a bunch of hypocrites.. I'm in the discord and they are literally discussing how they are gonna celebrate the banner leak being wrong.
Talking about making pictures and gifs of Incineroar dancing on deconfirmed characters. Also they are talking about the leak as if Nintendo came out and denied it themselves when they are just latching onto the words of a bunch of insiders with spotty records. And they are calling this place Trashboards and making fun of PapaGenos. Like what did we even do lol
Honestly, toxic behaviour like that doesn't surprise me one bit. People will be ***holes no matter what.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Unpopular opinion.

Do you have Nintendo online?

If so then out don’t have to worry.

If there’s day one dlc no way are they not giving it for free with Nintendo online.

They need those subscriptions

HesIn

Smash Apprentice
Besides Incineroar, what banner character are people most certain about? Geno? Isaac?

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
I unironcally would LOVE if spirits is a bartending simulator... XD

Can we drop this ridiculous notion that team fake Wants the leak to be fake? or that this is some sort of silly competition?
look, the leaked roster is cool and all, and it wopuld be cool that it is the final roster. but i still don't believe the leak, it's inconsistencies and lack of hard evidence isn't enough. yes is a credible story, but i still don't have teh hard evidence to let me to believe it (the ken leak had hard evidence) Is not an issue of a competition of who is the smuggest :/

The only think i really don't want is people ******** and whining and going full bananas into harassing people because they expectations were crushed since they raised them too high withouth hard evidence. So yeah, i don't see me "taunting" people into doing that and i think that a lot of people here thinks like that. Sadly, if the leak is fake, that is going to happen anyways, even if smashboards manage to mantain it's maturity, which i hope it will. because we aren't the only smash community and.. well... you know :/.

But at least lets not be part of the problem :p
I'm firmly on TeamFake so I'm definitely not trying to say that we want thte leak to be fake. I was saying it from TeamReal's point of view, trying to be as unbiased as possible :)

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Aparently this is a closeup of the thumbnail real banner (yeah, I know) dropped on 4chan. Probably fake but was interesting to me.

Blonde guy (Isaac? Saki? Marche?), Captain Rainbow and a giant evil eye and nose in the background. Someone mentioned it might be Wizpig which would be great.

I am in ****ing tears at Wizpig. Me and my friends have been joking that Miyamoto hates K. Rool so much that he demanded Wizpig be in in revenge and the idea that anyone has the same idea is hilarious.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
So. Spawn just put out a new video regarding the Final Smash Direct, and he had this to say about if the leak happens to be fake, alongside with the whole info about "other characters that are missing". Link to the video for mobile users: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeGnVb025Os

Assurance, thy name is THANK CHRIST. He also bets on hopefully us getting a Beta Demo, because by that point, we're gonna already know the entirety of the roster, and the online has to be tested in some shape or form before release. Better now than later, right?

The key note is that he's just giving out his thoughts and his sources aren't saying anything on this matter, rather, The Game Awards is where things will get interesting, so the streak is still alive regardless after this Direct.
If this leads to Phoenix Wright being playable, then I'l consider that one of the best possible outcomes.

osby

Smash Obsessed
The larger issue with wanting more female characters is that there are simply more male characters to choose from out of all the Nintendo (and even third-party) properties. I don't think Smash has ever chosen characters based on gender, but rather on a combined set of factors including relevance, popularity, history with Nintendo and moveset potential. Putting any specific "category" of fighter in just to fill a quota seems backward to me. In other words, the female fighters we've gotten thus far (Peach, Samus, Wii Fit Trainer, Palutena, Isabelle, etc) weren't chosen for their gender, but because they fit the series' criteria for being worthy of being playable.
Nobody said they should put characters based on gender. It's just some people are sad that "deserving" female characters like Elma or Dixie Kong aren't suitable for the base roster because the newcomer choices somehow favor older characters.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Spawnwave's new video was interesting.

I've honestly warmed up to the idea the leak is fake I guess (not how its fake though, because I'll never understand unless the person comes out and explains it to all of us).

It seems like he, and a bunch of other people, are saying we are going to get quite a few newcomers, just not exactly ones on the banner.
Love the little nudge he throws in at the end with possible Incineroar and maybe a Banjo amiibo (wink wink*).

All in all, if the leak is fake (its hard for me to say that lol), I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that it was roughly 50-60% right in the end.

Possibly:

-Ken
-Incineroar
-Shadow
-Geno
-Isaac
-Possibly 1 or 2 unknown characters not on the Banner

With the possibility of Chorus Kids or Banjo taking place of some of these characters here.

I dunno, I'm extremely curious to see which characters from it are AT's, which aren't even in the game, and which are still in regardless of the leak.

It seems like a lot of insiders, even while claiming its fake, say that we are still going to see a decent number of newcomers or will still be pretty happy with the roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom