• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan_Sic

Smash Rookie
I’m actually excited to play Zelda and Link. I’m going to have a field day with Link’s remote bombs. I really like some of the changes they are getting. I especially love the new look they gave Zelda ^^. Tbh was getting tired of the twilight princess look.
I am beyond exited to play Zelda, I've played her in every smash and this won't be an exception; moreso now that she finally seems to be better equipped.

Her animations, sound effects and overall design are BLISS. I loved TP Zelda, but as you said, I've grown a bit tired of the look by now. The main thing I love is her new idle figthing stance, I find it awesome (I never play character i don't think look "cool" desig-wise and animation-wise, ex: Pit).

Ganondorf looks sweet AF as well.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Honestly, the thread name should be changed because this is no longer a thread dedicated to discussion and speculation, it's tribalism and ****-slinging.

All Swamp did was bring up a point to see if it was a worthwhile counter to the leak being real, yet instead of discussion being focused on supporting or refuting that point, a fair few of you decided it was more worthwhile to either insult him, pull a 'lol, Little Mac/Shulk idiot', or even flat out say that he's harming discussion for daring to bring it up. That is ridiculous, it was not something worth getting completely aggressive and defensive about, it's something that should've been politely countered and argued for why it didn't make sense for you, and the fact that discussion almost immediately degraded as soon as the post was made just shows how absolutely poor the dialogue between us has become.

The worst thing about this is it's just the cherry on top. Between the insults to insiders, showing no empathy for the guy who wanted to help discussion, the ****ting on Incineroar/Steve and their fans, the intergroup factions and other such things this thread has become a complete cesspool of negativity. You guys constantly say that the vocal minority are only responsible for the toxicity, but in the end you're not proving it, this thread has not been a good showcase for why the community is welcoming to all fans and ideas, it's become a place of 'you or me' mentality with anyone in the middle getting caught in the middle. If you want this community to be better thought of, actually contribute to the discussion, stop with the insults, and debate things as if you are fellow fans of a game you all love. This is not the time to tear each other apart, it's a time to have fun and look forward to a game we all want to play.

Last edited:

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Wait a minute.... The Grinch Movie releases on November 8th....
Direct.... possibly November 8th.

What if they're planning on revealing The Grinch as a newcomer in the post credits scene? THAT WOULD BE WILD.

Grinch : [arriving home] Evening, Max!

Max : [voice distorted because he's a dog] Welcome home, sir...

[The Grinch stops as he sees a figure in his living room]

Sakurai : "I am a mean one, Mr. Grinch". You think you're the only superhero in the world? Mr. Grinch, you've become part of a bigger universe. You just don't know it yet.

Grinch : Who the hell are you?

Sakurai : Masahiro Sakurai. Director of Super Smash Bros Ultimate

Grinch : Ah.

Sakurai : I'm here to talk to you about the Smash Bros Newcomer Initiative.

dilfsR'us

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-5253-6645-3708
Hey everyone ^_^ Hope you are well. Did I miss anything with the leak or any anything in the past few hours?
nothing new. it got heated for a bit between the two teams but it has calmed down since. any fun speculations or opinions about the game that arent banner leak related?

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
Woke up real quick to give you my spirits idea

What if you collect spirits that end up being a fighter, and then you unlock said Fighter. Also you can collect coins to buy trophies or something.

Back to sleep, bye!!

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Because people have emotionally invested in the leak being real.
Yeah but I said both sides, Team Real shouldn’t be outright desperate, just remain hopeful and even if this could be ESRB 2, they can’t keep using the Mac/Shulk thing as a counterargmuent.

Team Fake aren’t exactly acting like saints, some members are childishly flaming those who are disagreeing with their debunks and throw them under the bus for it because god forbid people aren’t obliged to trust insiders because they’re personally optimistic about what they believe.

And Swamp’s post didn’t even feel like it wanted to spark a discussion, it looked more like “welp, it’s fake, better admit it now.”

I don’t blame him for being hesitant about it since he knew the reactions but it would’ve been more tamer if he said something like “There’s a good chance it’s fake.”

Last edited:

Naiko3232

Smash Apprentice
All right. Enough talking about the community. I've stayed off-topic for long enough. What are your guys's hopes for "Spirits" mode?
View attachment 173579
Definetly it has something to do with bosses and the idea of heroes vs villains.

Now that Assist Trophies count they should be more tough, they would use the likes of Waluigi or (hopefully) Shadow as mini-bosses.

Its a genius idea honestly, using characters, assist trophies and stage bosses as part of the story cut them a lot of time development.

When i saw the Rathalos boss stage actually there's footage of him vs Fox and him vs king dedede, so if this whole thing is true, those bosses who dont have a clear hero against him will let you decide who you will fight with (or maybe is just part of the story that King dedede and Fox go together at some point).

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
You specifically said in your inital post that whoever posted the tongue gif shouldn't have done so. You were specifically blaming one specific person who did one specific action, not that you could've been blaming anyone who did anything similar.

Try again.
Either way, are you going to criticize me over a silly thing, or mistake, on a silly subject? I said I did not mean any harm to begin with. I wasn't really trying to call some one out as much as I was trying to make a point about why we should be careful when posting things, whether or not others can't be controlled. I was trying to be focusing more on this silly war, and how I thought it could have been avoided. What I thought. That is it. It would have been best to ignore what I said if you guys did not like what I said. That is always the mature way to go, ya know.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
Anyway after all that arguing. Who would be your first DLC character you will support? (This is assuming if the grinch leak is real)
Me I would support Bandana dee he is my 2nd most wanted. I gotta show support for the spear boy :)
Bandana Dee and Ashley for sure. They are my last two extremely wanted characters. After that, I figure I'll support characters such as Skull Kid and Dixie, along with a bunch of others I find really cool along the way. I'll be supporting Steve and Sans as well, as controversial as they may be

Last edited:

xAquaCrystal

Smash Journeyman
Bandana dee, you say?
Vote for 2B.
Come on, you know you want to.

Would you really wanna miss out on seeing Kirby like this in-game? You and I both know it'd be frighteningly adorable.

Somewhat unrealistic, I know.
source
Hey I’m all in for 2B :) I played Nier and I enjoyed it! The first boss fight kicked my ass though lol

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Honestly, I feel bad for MysticDistance right now.

Just learning about the consequences of leaking stuff in the gaming industry again gets me very frightened, as someone who really wants to work on the media industry.

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
Honestly, the thread name should be changed because this is no longer a thread dedicated to discussion and speculation, it's tribalism and ****-slinging.

All Swamp did was bring up a point to see if it was a worthwhile counter to the leak being real, yet instead of discussion being focused on supporting or refuting that point, a fair few of you decided it was more worthwhile to either insult him, pull a 'lol, Little Mac/Shulk idiot', or even flat out say that he's harming discussion for daring to bring it up. That is ridiculous, it was not something worth getting completely aggressive and defensive about, it's something that should've been politely countered and argued for why it didn't make sense for you, and the fact that discussion almost immediately degraded as soon as the post was made just shows how absolutely poor the dialogue between us has become.

The worst thing about this is it's just the cherry on top. Between the insults to insiders, showing no empathy for the guy who wanted to help discussion, the ****ting on Incineroar/Steve and their fans, the intergroup factions and other such things this thread has become a complete cesspool of negativity. You guys constantly say that the vocal minority are only responsible for the toxicity, but in the end you're not proving it, this thread has not been a good showcase for why the community is welcoming to all fans and ideas, it's become a place of 'you or me' mentality with anyone in the middle getting
Why does it matter what the name is. All discussion will revert to this with where we're at.

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
At this point, from what I can tell, P Paperchampion23 is just me but more aggressive so I'll dip from discussing the Grinch leak and let him voice what are essentially my exact opinions.

I still believe the leak is real, but I don't want to talk about it. It's been real, Team Real, but this just isn't fun anymore. This whole team thing is feeling more and more like an excuse to lash out at users we don't agree with, and I don't need this board to be another way for more bitterness to creep into me.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Interesting to know. Do you have a link to the reddit thread where he gave up?
Here you go!

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/...f_the_leaked_mural/?utm_source=reddit-android

Seriously, it's important that people understand this. I can pick up insane details off Mach Rider, like how his bike has lines of Green/Blue lining portions of the wheels and headlight, how you can clearly see his iconic helmet streak going down the middle and his signature gun, all familiar but a totally revamped design of Mach Rider, or that Kazooie is freaking out about Snakes Bazooka, or that Isaac is petting the Venus Djinn as he summons Growth, or how the Chorus Kids are fighting over the conductor or harassing him. There's immense detail here.

If you look at the adjacent characters, they all look of similar poor quality, but with the same details, indicating that if the image was clear, these 7 characters probably would look very similar to the banner ones.

It's why I'm team real

Last edited:

Astroworld

Smash Apprentice
Anyway after all that arguing. Who would be your first DLC character you will support? (This is assuming if the grinch leak is real)
Me I would support Bandana dee he is my 2nd most wanted. I gotta show support for the spear boy :)
Realistic: Rex/Pyra
Unrealistic: Dante

Aeronite's Kiseki

Smash Journeyman
While I'm team neutral here, I am a bit perturbed as to why Gamexplain won't talk about it ad nauseum like they usually do with other Smash leaks...it's kind of shocking honestly.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace

Just learning about the consequences of leaking stuff in the gaming industry again gets me very frightened, as someone who really wants to work on the media industry.
I feel bad for him too. Didn't he say something along the lines of smash ruining everything for him? I really hope that's not the case...

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
I think one major thing you have to consider when discussing DLC is when the game is coming out in the console's lifespan.

Ultimate is coming out about 21 months into the Switch's lifespan. Smash 4 came out about 42 months into the 3DS' lifespan and 24 months into the Wii U's lifespan.

For the Wii U, the game came out almost halfway through the console's lifespan.

Two things we have to keep in mind:
1. It's going to be out relatively early in the Switch's lifespan (since the Switch has been a MAJOR success compared to the Wii U).
2. Considering the 3DS is dying and 2019 will likely be its final year, Nintendo would solely focus on the Switch, unless they announce another console (which would be kinda weird since the Switch is a home/portable hybrid)

Smash 4 got 7 DLC characters over about 1.5 years in the second half of the Wii U's lifespan.

With all of this in mind, I could see this game getting A LOT of DLC over a few years, especially since the Smash community will probably support the game for many years.

This is not the same situation as Smash 4, Sakurai has PLENTY of time to stick in as many characters as possible over however long he wants to. He doesn't have any restrictions with the 3DS and doesn't have to develop everything for 2 very different consoles.

And since this is the ULTIMATE iteration of Smash, I think he'll go all out to make a final game that will be remembered as one of the biggest crossovers in entertainment history.

But that's just a theory...

A GAME THEORY!
Sorry I had to do that.
It's important to note as well that the Switch's lifespan will be longer than the Wii U's, because it's actually selling well. We're not even done with year two. We probably still have 5-8 years to go.

Well, that's what happens when you're trusted with confidential information and you choose to share it with anyone you're not supposed to. Just keep your lips tight and you'll be good.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Okay, this is as far as it goes. Any further bickering on the topic of leaks, insiders, and/or Team Whatever will not be tolerated. It is fast becoming apparent that it is a point of contention among you all and cannot be discussed civilly. I highly recommend switching topics or this thread will be locked until further notice.

Smooth Criminal

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
Okay, this is as far as it goes. Any further bickering on the topic of leaks, insiders, and/or Team Whatever will not be tolerated. It is fast becoming apparent that it is a point of contention among you all and cannot be discussed civilly. I highly recommend switching topics or this thread will be locked until further notice.

Smooth Criminal
While at it, can Leak Discussion thread be opened for once as purpose to discuss some leak there? That way, we won't plug this thread with more arguments about the leaks.

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
I’m going to split them in two categories
For Third Party, it’d probably go to Neku or Shantae. Those two are really the only ones that I’d support, that I feel may have a sliver of a chance getting in.

As for Nintendo characters, it's gotta be the boy Bandanna Dee. He'd help round out the rest of the Kirby cast, and I'd honestly be surprised if he didn't eventually make it in as DLC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom