• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
im saying the image is not the way to debunk it. im saying omni proved even if the banner was FLAWLESS it could be fake.

To disprove the leak get ACP-PLV to say they arent working on smash or its very likely this is real. thats the leak.
I was just havin a goof wit you man. :redface: Actually why haven't people asked ACP-PLV?

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Ok, here’s a non-leak discussion topic:

Is there a character that you wanted previously and probably had a shot in appearing but due to reasons, it never happened for one reason or another?

For me, anime Meowth would had been a better Pokemon rep thank Jigglypuff. It would of been awesome to had him in 64.

Akiak

Smash Ace
Think I'm done for the day, but let me just say one thing...

SMASH, SMASH COMMUNITY, SMASHBOARDS, LEAKERS & GRINCHES, YOU DO NOT DISAPPOINT

Seriously, this has been insane. Eagerly awaiting the finale.

Last edited:

Espio264

Smash Ace
So people are concluding that the background inconsistencies can be explained away but Greninja's tongue is a smoking gun? I'm right there with team fake but ya'll are desperate at this point. That or there's something in the water. I still don't believe the leak but calling it debunked all of a sudden after all this is ridiculous.
No. The smoking gun belongs to Snake, and it’s covering up Greninja’s tongue.

TVDart

Smash Apprentice
Stage Blog post on Tuesday? Something is up. Odds of direct being this week over next are up!
Blog is shifted over AND Gaming Intel is mentioning a direct announcement?
Oh god, I have to get up at 10am EST, how the hell am I supposed to sleep.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Im dropping smash from my game I like list after ultamate comes out like wow.

At least the Animal Crossing community isnt like this
Hey, it's neither the fault of the game nor the people who made it that some of their fans can be nasty and nuts at times.

There is no reason why you couldn't still enjoy the game and the series on your own. Don't let a fanbase (or, honestly, only a portion of it) totally spoil something for you.

Goodness, all Swamp did was post something he thought disproved it, and everyone freaks out.

Some people in Team Real and Team Fake need to chill a bit. Some people are getting very, very hostile and defensive, and is not at all making this community look good or inviting right now.
THIS

Again, folks, there's no reason to be at each other's throats over this. Doesn't matter if the proposed evidence turned out to be off, the debates don't need to be so damn hostile. Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I recall, nobody here immediately got hostile in their defense of the tongue claims. It escalated after that. It didn't need to escalate.

Tinarg

Smash Cadet
I'm gonna put myself on team cautiously optimistic. I'll be ecstatic if it's real, but I don't wanna put all my eggs in one basket. We still have the chance of Ken and Incineroar being the last two newcomers.

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253

so long grinch, it was nice knowing ye.

Thanks for making discussion hype again.

Now...we're back to the black depths of Kencineroar despair.

And now Shadow is in danger again.....................................

kms
Late. Again.

ExitWound

Smash Journeyman

Is there a character that you wanted previously and probably had a shot in appearing but due to reasons, it never happened for one reason or another?

For me, anime Meowth would had been a better Pokemon rep thank Jigglypuff. It would of been awesome to had him in 64.
Waluigi

welp

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
The most important thing we must never forget is to mourn our dear friend Waluigi.

RIP Waluigi for Ultimate: 2018-2018

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
https://twitter.com/MysticDistance/status/1057116154722967557
I'd like to say we did get a shoutout from Mystic for being respectful, can we please not be so hard on our community now?
This is very gracious of Mystic, and it's really unfortunate that this has happened. I was highly skeptical, given how bizarre the situation was, the initial change on the banner, the info dump, seemingly contradictory information, though also gave the benefit of the doubt (mainly due to account for my own biases). It's always important, even in disagreements, to be civil.

I will say, though, I saw posts earlier blaming the Smash community--a small, very vocal portion deserves blame for the harassment, though I feel uncomfortable generalizing that to the whole community. And this is information Mystic shared on their own accord, and even encouraged questions (though, probably didn't realize the scope involved in that). That having been said, at worst, Mystic is guilty of being too altruistic in trying to give as much information to help us as a community as possible. Definitely doesn't deserve the hatred, being called a liar, and all of the other harassment that arose, and I certainly wish this hadn't happened and potentially cost them their job and livelihood. No "juicy leaks" is worth that.

Also, about the people that sent death threats--what the **** is wrong with them, it's a ****ing video game. What?! I wish Mystic well and hope they're able to overcome this.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
While doing my research to disprove the Greninja tongue theory (I did, see my previous post) I found some interesting pictures of Greninja and his tongue:
BtcHRCcIYAAd0Z4.jpg

CvNBaroWgAA2nF9.jpg

Last edited:

KiBom

Smash Journeyman

Goldeneye Bond would've been amazing. Can't see it happening now, but might've back in Melee.

Noipoi

Howdy!

Anime Meowth got robbed. He totally should've been in.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
I was just havin a goof wit you man. :redface: Actually why haven't people asked ACP-PLV?
its all good i didnt take offense or anything

i just felt i should point out that yes im hypocritically pointing out both:

why inconsistencies on a printed shrunk image dont make it fake.
and also that omnis flawless rayman doesnt mean its real.

the hypocrisy is the point im making the image isnt the answer here, its addressing the surrounding evidence, the full picture of this leak is why its so darn credible.

D

Deleted member

I wish Team Silent was still a thing... ;-(
I was completely silent in this thread until I made that post. We're just lurking in the shadows.

For me it was Alucard. I mean, realistically I didn't expect to see him at all. That doesn't change that I want to play has him though.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I was thinking about it today and there's only one thing I can really find wrong with this leak: it feels scripted.

I firmly believe that the actual images are almost entirely red herrings, and that the details of the remainder of the leak are what matter, and those are where the whole thing feels the most "scripted" to me.

As I mentioned in the previous thread, Marina and ACP are both real companies, and you can tell from their registrar info that they've been around for a WHILE: Marina's was registered 9/03/2004 and ACP was 3/02/2005 (all of which is publicly available information, btw).

And yet it's the involvement of not one but TWO paper product advertising companies that so perfectly allows the narrative to write itself. We've seen Bricard's former employer (Marina) tell everyone to step the **** off lest they loose the hordes of angry winged lawyers on them for bringing this negative attention to their firm. This is an entirely hollow threat (they can't sue a fake leaker because people got the wrong idea about where a former employee works), but it's the CORRECT reaction that a PLV firm should have to their reputation being compromised.

...Which is what make's ACP's silence THAT much more conspicuous. If Bricard doesn't actually work there and/or they don't work with Nintendo/Bamco, then they should've absolutely published a statement saying so, and we KNOW that this is what they should've done because, what luck! We just so happen to have a second PLV firm present to show us exactly how an innocent PLV firm would react to this kind of speculation.

When potential new clients go to search for info on ACP, they're going to read an AWFUL lot about an employee of ACP allegedly leaking confidential client info, but they're not going to find any sort of official statement rebuking these claims, and that will literally KILL their business in due time.

This, plus the fact that Bricard conveniently had two LinkedIn profiles, including an older one that listed Marina as his employer, is what makes the whole thing feel "scripted", like we were meant to find this info and Marina was intended to show us how a PLV company SHOULD be reacting to this sort of thing.

I feel crazy for even saying this, but at the back of my mind, I wonder if the person behind all of this is none other than Sakurai himself.

I know that's bonkers to even suggest, but what if this whole thing is a carefully orchestrated ruse that he put into place because, given that this is his last SSB game, he wanted to go out like a legend.

There's so much going on here that makes it appear that everything is in chaos, but in a way, doesn't THAT feel kind of scripted as well? All of the insiders and gaming news outlets that seem to not want to discuss THIS particular leak when they've been happy to discuss so many others... Wouldn't Nintendo have told them to "just act casual" if they really wanted the leak downplayed? Their actions just make it that much more suspicious, giving it even more credence.

It wouldn't be the first time a game developer has run an ARG for their fans to unravel, and Sakurai knows just how much the SSB fanbase goes insane over leaks.

Imagine, at the end of all of this, in the final direct, Sakurai reveals that Marina and ACP were in it all along, and then drops the Grinch on us, a character we'd never peg as playable in a thousand years, says, "That's right. It was me all along. Do I know my fans, or what?" and goes down in history as an absolute LEGEND of trickery and misdirection.

It's completely unrealistic, but man, would that be the perfect end to the most insane prerelease hype cycle a game has ever seen or what?

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion

Ayumi is cool. I also would have been cool with James Bond.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Hey, it's neither the fault of the game nor the people who made it that some of their fans can be nasty and nuts at times.

There is no reason why you couldn't still enjoy the game and the series on your own. Don't let a fanbase (or, honestly, only a portion of it) totally spoil something for you.
You right but, man is it disheartening to see everyone killing eachother with words everytime a leak is involved. Kinda sours the taste, know what I mean?

Last edited:

Swaggy-G

Smash Apprentice
Here's a topic I haven't seen yet: How is the Japanese fanbase reacting to this? Are they aware of it? Can any bilingual user enlighten us?

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797

This is a statement I can get behind and agree with wholeheartedly. *claps*

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The most important thing we must never forget is to mourn our dear friend Waluigi.

RIP Waluigi for Ultimate: 2018-2018
B-B-But Waluigi is a symbol of hate and all of his fans are mean people to Sakurai!!! >:^(

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Omni's leak isn't even comparable to this.

One Rayman render doesn't come close to an entire banner with 7 new characters plus new art for characters obscured by elements of the banner with equipment and all sorts of details that perfectly matches the environment of ACP. They even shut down a video that helped the leak on a weekend.
I agree, but it's not impossible for an employee at ACP to leak this. That's my hypotheses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom