• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
Serious question/theory:

Sakurai said in the August Direct "We will reveal the designs of all of the characters before release"

Could it be that the final direct reveal a certain number of characters, trailers and all, but then he just shows us who the remainin characters are and says "you'll have to play to find out!" or something stupid like that lol.

For example, in line of this leak:

Smash direct reveals Isaac, then Ken and Shadow as the final echoes, followed by Banjo and Kazooie. By the end of the direct, the banner fills in and we see Mach Rider, Chorus Kids and Geno are also on the banner, but he states that he only wanted to reveal who the characters are, but its up to us to see how they play.

I know this doesn't fight against leaks fully, but at least he gets to announce all of the characters.
I'm guessing something got lost in translation; he is pretty clear in meaning all fighters for base will be revealed in a meaningful manner before the game's out. Doing it that way would only anger the fans of those characters

D

Deleted member

OK, I know firmly think Grinch is outdated. Think about it. It's almost been a week. They've probably finished 2 or even 3 more characters since then! We're looking at a minimum of 9 characters remaining, most likely 10 though. And if there's no direct this week, I think we'll have 11.

ChocolatGelgato

Smash Journeyman
a november 1st or halloween direct always made sense, it preps/hypes everyone for the early releases of the codes, and nintendo live has a "special event version" that will probably include some of the new content in the direct. I'm not really surprised people are saying it now or before now.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Such words are not meant for this discussion thread.

WHO'S THE GIRL NEXT DOOR LIVING IN THE HAUNTED MANSION?
"YOU BETTER LEARN MY NAME BECAUSE IT'S-

AAAASHLEEEEEY!!!"
SHE KNOWS THE DARKEST SPELLS AND SHE BREWS THE MEANEST POTION

"YOU MIGHT BE THE INGREDIENT I SEEK"

The_Naraotor

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1669-2956-1774
You know what I was looking at my first video games machine that I ever had which was an Amstrad CPC I would love to have a character who can represent this machine.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Sakurai's revealing everybody before release, so that would make no sense.
DLC exists too. Not saying I actually believe Incineroar would ever be DLC, but that would make more sense than Sakurai having a full model of Incineroar that's capable of running around, completely giving up on that character, making Incineroar an AT, and then starting from scratch with a banner character.

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
I'm guessing something got lost in translation; he is pretty clear in meaning all fighters for base will be revealed in a meaningful manner before the game's out. Doing it that way would only anger the fans of those characters
But why lol? Its not like they aren't in the game and they can theoretically still be "secret"

Noipoi

Howdy!

I try not to dwell on it much...

It just opens up old wounds. ; - ;
It doesn't hurt anymore.

If I think about it i'm pretty lucky. My number 1 most wanted was confirmed in the very first teaser, Isabelle in September, and my last two might be on the way. The only deconfirmations i've had to suffer through are Ashley and Waluigi, besides that i've been doing pretty well.

DLC exists too. Not saying I actually believe Incineroar would ever be DLC, but that would make more sense than Sakurai having a full model of Incineroar that's capable of running around, completely giving up on that character, making Incineroar an AT, and then starting from scratch with a banner character.
Oh, I thought you were talking about the base game. My B.

OK, I know firmly think Grinch is outdated. Think about it. It's almost been a week. They've probably finished 2 or even 3 more characters since then! We're looking at a minimum of 9 characters remaining, most likely 10 though. And if there's no direct this week, I think we'll have 11.
Yes. We are going to have at least 20 more newcomers in the base game. XD

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
i can't wait to play all 12 of those characters.

Seriously though, 13 more characters are insane! Sakurai, the mad man

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Sakurai's revealing everybody before release, so that would make no sense.
The only thing I CAN see, if the leak is true and Incineroar is legitimately in the game, is that he's used as a Switch online incentive (its being done right now with Paratroopa for Mario Tennis, so Nintendo isn't above doing the practice) a few weeks after release OR he's early DLC for some odd reason.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
There was a Minecraft 3DS, GG, wrap it up,

Viva Piñata is our next 3rd Party Franchise.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
I honestly don't think Mewtwo was being developed until E3 2014 before the game released. While there Sakurai got told to his face Mewtwo's popularity, which he seemed to be underestimating up until that point. Remember, in October 2014 Mewtwo was little more than a basic model. There's no way he was meant for the base game.
That makes more sense. I wasn't aware that Sakurai was told how popular Mewtwo was at E3, so I didn't know the circumstances of the development. Otherwise, Mewtwo would have been finished for release, since he would've been planned and worked on from the beginning.

That's the thing a lot of these rumors are kind of missing the point of. All these talks about characters getting cut, added late into development, etc. That kind of thing happened in Melee and Brawl, but not in Smash 4. All characters "cut" from that game weren't worked on, but only considered. Otherwise, all the characters in Smash 4 were planned from the beginning, except for Mewtwo.

The reason the roster is planned early on is so that there isn't chaos in development due to cutting characters and adding more. And Sakurai has said that the development for Ultimate has been going very smoothly, so I doubt there's been a lot of that going on behind the scenes.

Please read my post properly
1) I never said a character would be Day 1 DLC
2) I never said a character would be locked behind the Online
3) I never said a finished character would be held back to become DLC

What I said id that a DLC character being FREE to those with the online subscription is very likely, much like Mewtwo was free to those with both versions(but still available to be bought on its own)
Ah, okay. Your post wasn't entirely clear. What you mean is more like the Online subscription acting as a season pass for Smash content.

That could happen, though I don't consider it to be likely, since there's no precedent for it, and so far all of Nintendo's DLC are either paid or free content updates. And again there's the issue of third parties being involved. Also, would you lose access to the characters if your subscription expired? It's much simpler to just have them as individual purchases.

D

Deleted member

It doesn't hurt anymore.

If I think about it i'm pretty lucky. My number 1 most wanted was confirmed in the very first teaser, Isabelle in September, and my last two might be on the way. The only deconfirmations i've had to suffer through are Ashley and Waluigi, besides that i've been doing pretty well.
In all seriousness, I'm doing pretty good as well. My #1 (Inklings) were confirmed right off the bat, I got more Metroid content in the form of Ridley AND Dark Samus, more DK content in the form of K. Rool, and my #3 character, Isabelle.

Only deconfirmations that hurt for me were Waluigi, Bomber Man, and Ashley. Others I pretty much shrugged off, and any remaining characters I want like Octolings are gonna be DLC candidates if anything. Shadow is pretty much the only realistic want I have left, so he's the only one I'm rooting for right now besides hoping favorites like Banjo and Incineroar make it in for others.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridleyridster

Smash Journeyman
One is the Grinch, one is Gothitelle, and then...any leads on who the others could be? I'm super curious now.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
It doesn't hurt anymore.

Inkling, Ridley, K. Rool, and Isabelle and I guess secretly Daisy too were all in my most-wanted list.

Even if I absolutely despise the last few newcomers, I don't really have a leg to stand on if I wanted to complain. Ultimate has been good to me.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Nintendo Direct before Nintendo event that probably uses a new Smash demo

:denzel:

All I'm saying is that I've been saying "Wednesday will be fun"

There it is again.

Wednesday will be fun.

Last edited:

Ridleyridster

Smash Journeyman
Inkling, Ridley, K. Rool, and Isabelle and I guess secretly Daisy too were all in my most-wanted list.

Even if I absolutely despise the last few newcomers, I don't really have a leg to stand on if I wanted to complain. Ultimate has been good to me.
Me too. I was over the moon with just Ridley. Adding King K. Rool too? I'm a happy camper.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Could it be that the final direct reveal a certain number of characters, trailers and all, but then he just shows us who the remaining characters are and says "you'll have to play to find out!" or something stupid like that lol?
I'm still feeling that ****ing Day One DLC at the VGA, I have a hunch, somehow.
It would count, the game isn't 100% out everywhere in the world, especially the fact he had to add "design"

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime

That's how I feel about Dark Samus. I don't care who gets added to the game now, because I finally got at least one character I really really wanted and who was unlikely to begin with, so now I just want everyone else's dreams to come true, even if I don't care for those characters.

D

Deleted member

I'm still feeling that ****ing Day One DLC at the VGA, I have a hunch, somehow.
It would count, the game isn't 100% out everywhere in the world, especially the fact he had to add "design"
I could totally see our first DLC coming really early if it's free for NSO users, NGL. I dunno about launch day, though. Maybe a month or two afterwards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom