• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vigneault.charles

Smash Rookie
Good question. And I feel like I can actually answer this one with authority, as I order things to be printed from print shops all the time for work as a graphic designer. No, small changes to an image like this would not affect cost in the slightest. The things that factor into print cost are number of ink colors (in this case, it's practically guaranteed to be 4-color process CMYK, rather than using spot colors like Pantone), the size of the prints, the formatting (whether it needs to be cut, folded, printed on two sides, etc.), the paper/substrate type, and the quantity. You could swap out the banner background for a screenshot of Rick Astley's Never Gonna Give You Up music video and the price would remain the same as long as your quantity and print size/format and paper type remain unchanged.

Ask any other professional graphic designer and I'm sure they'll tell you the same thing. =P
And you can find many small details that are still there like the small iceberg on the left of the island between Lucario and Snake but they cut "small details" like rocks and islands?! I don't buy it.

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman
in the original image which I don't have a link to ( if someone could link to it that be great) the shape isn't just a rectangle with the mural on it. It does have the title and the Nintendo switch logo along with a version of the empty Battlefield and the battlefield with characters connected just like in the looping version. On the far left side there is a white rectangle with curved edges and thick black lines like a border. I believe this is meant to be a hole. on the other end of the rectangle there's a little knob with a bigger piece on one end that looks like due to the shape it would fit through the hole but would also hold snugly. If the case is that it is a wristband, then it would make sense why underneath the papers you can see one or two more boxes hidden (and through the paper on the left of the image you can see red where the Nintendo switch logo would be). It would make sense why someone in a printing company would be mass-producing these or printing them on normal sized paper. this is all the evidence I have, I just find it weird that people at calling it a mural when that is the farthest from what would be right, because even if it isn't a wristband, then it still has the shapes to be something other than a normal picture.
Yeah I saw those cut out parts too on the edges. It probably pieces together like a wristband but it really has to be a circular fixture of some kind like someone else on here said.

TVDart

Smash Apprentice
Actual box theory is:
  • No additional echoes except one on the "bottom row" (which we have now confirmed as Ken) in the base game
  • At least one additional newcomer (beyond Isabelle)
  • Additional newcomers increasingly unlikely?
Imagine if when the game releases the box is exactly the same as it is in the promotional images, no matter how many characters there are missing.

LetterO

Smash Lord
Banjo and Geno are kind of completely out of his power considering they aren't owned by Nintendo.
Sure, but considering how Sakurai could get Geno as a Mii Costume, and Phil Spencer being fine with Banjo in Smash, it's not COMPLETELY out of his power.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
I don't know if this has been asked yet, so sorry if it's already been covered. But would there be any value in the background changing in order to be used in mass-produced promotional material? By this I mean: the background being simplified such as lowering the amount of detail and simplifying other aspects so they still look decent at a lower resolution (i.e. to be used on shirts, armbands and/or other printed materials). I'm just curious to see if the leaked version could be used solely for this purpose to save cost on ink and the like, while also allowing it to be printed on other materials with no problems. I mean obviously the banner on the website and on screens at events will be the full-res, highly detailed version, but I just feel like the leaked one could be used in things sent to stores in mass quantities for whatever purpose, like stickers, wall trim, etc.
Not to be one of "those people," but as a graphic designer, I don't see why the differences in the leak banner background would make any difference one way or the other as far as production or design goes. It would have literally no effect on production costs, and doesn't function to make the design easier to print or comprehend. It would honestly be a waste of time to make changes to the background at all. If it hasn't changed up to this point, it stands to reason that it most likely wouldn't change for this specific application. That's just my opinion, of course.

Last edited:

FallofBrawl

Smash Ace
But even then how the company had the last iteration of the banner, one not even released to the public but not an updated version of the background (before june)
I’m saying that there’s a possibility that background of the banner was only updated for the E3 showcase.

The more bare background was always the background for the mural when characters are covering it up and the original background. I can’t really clarify anymore than that

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Oh wow. I might actually get to keep my account after all.

I missed allllll the new leak speculation.
How is the community seeing it? I am NOT reading hundreds of pages about it. Lol
Nothing that immediately damns it other than changes to the mural background which would be unprecedented and largely unnecessary

A lot of people really want it to be true, but many seem to expect it to be fake.

ChronoKatie

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cocobrien
Switch FC
7004 2762 0628
Correct me if I'm wrong but did a source not claim that two characters would share a trailer? What if Ken and Incineroar do? They are both ring fighters, fire-based and Ken having a trailer even as an echo makes sense since he is third party. Could certainly explain why those two have been known for so long. Sources have maybe seen that trailer.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Actual box theory is:
  • No additional echoes except one on the "bottom row" (which we have now confirmed as Ken) in the base game
  • At least one additional newcomer (beyond Isabelle)
  • Additional newcomers increasingly unlikely?
I thought that the box theory only entailed 2 more newcomers period: an echo between Palutena and Cloud + a unique newcomer.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Correct me if I'm wrong but did a source not claim that two characters would share a trailer? What if Ken and Incineroar do? They are both ring fighters, fire-based and Ken having a trailer even as an echo makes sense since he is third party. Could certainly explain why those two have been known for so long. Sources have maybe seen that trailer.
Seeing as how for a while there the prevailing attitude was that those were literally the only two we had left, many have already assumed they'd be revealed together.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Good morning.

I take it as the Grinch theory is still alive and kicking.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Ryu could even be fighting Incineroar and Ken comes in to bail him out. It would work pretty well.

vigneault.charles

Smash Rookie
I'm not a Kingdom Hearts fan, but if Grinch was true? Sora as DLC would be an absolute revelation.

too bad disney will cockblock it
100% (not exagerated at all) of Disney revenue are from 3rd party who get autorised to do random stuff with some Disney faces on it as long as they give Disney most of their revenues with the sales.

Disney loved when others do DLC with their props because it's no work/free money. It's how there's thousand of plate/socks/caps with Disney heroes on them.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Good question. And I feel like I can actually answer this one with authority, as I order things to be printed from print shops all the time for work as a graphic designer. No, small changes to an image like this would not affect cost in the slightest. The things that factor into print cost are number of ink colors (in this case, it's practically guaranteed to be 4-color process CMYK, rather than using spot colors like Pantone), the size of the prints, the formatting (whether it needs to be cut, folded, etc.), the paper/substrate type, and the quantity. You could swap out the banner background for a screenshot of Rick Astley's Never Gonna Give You Up music video and the price would remain the same as long as your quantity and print size/format and paper type remain unchanged.

Ask any other professional graphic designer and I'm sure they'll tell you the same thing. =P
Thanks! Basically, it depends on the type of ink they're using, but if they're using ordinary CMYK ink, which they probably would be, then it doesn't really matter either way. Do I have that right?

Anyway, I have to go. It's... very, very late where I am and I didn't even notice because these last few days have been such a wild ride and fever dream.

Regardless of how the game turns out, I think we'll look back on this particular period as one of the craziest leaks/rumours we've ever gotten, real or fake.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
NETHER BABY I BEEN MISSING YOU

Completely split btw. Can't be proved nor disproved at this point
Luigi! Darling! How are you?! Lol

Oh yay. More box rehash. At least this one is cool. I don’t see too many folks who would hate it.

Dukeofdeath5 Dukeofdeath5
Oh well. I was really hoping it would be definitively proven or disproven by the time I asked.
I am so done waiting for info. Lol. My patience hurts.
Zinith Zinith

Oh shut up, Zinith. Imma cry.

My expectations are always just a tad too high. McSigh.

Last edited:

ChronoKatie

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cocobrien
Switch FC
7004 2762 0628
Seeing as how for a while there the prevailing attitude was that those were literally the only two we had left, many have already assumed they'd be revealed together.
Gotcha! My apologies, was not aware the point had already been brought up. :)

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I'm not a Kingdom Hearts fan, but if Grinch was true? Sora as DLC would be an absolute revelation.

too bad disney will cockblock it
They let Wreck-it Ralph, a character they have full creative control over, into a relatively minor Sega racing game.

They’d let Sora, a character who they don’t even make the entire say in, into the biggest crossover in gaming history, ESPECIALLY if he’s DLC where they’d get a solid paycheck.

FantasyBlade

Smash Apprentice
I haven't paid the box theory much mind, but I just gave it some thought just now and I assume some people have already mentioned this, but why do people think that Ken and Incineroar would automatically be on the box? Chrom and Dark Samus aren't on it.

Also, naturally, the echo fighters are next to their respective base characters on the box (Daisy next to Peach, Richter next to Simon). That means if Ken were on the box he'd have to be next to Ryu - and Ryu isn't on the box right now, meaning Ryu and Ken would take up the last two spots, not Ken and Incineroar. So, keeping with the constraints of the box theory itself, that would mean Ken is the last fighter...which I think most would agree is unlikely.

In my mind that pretty much nullifies the box theory. Of course, there's the possibility that the last two spots are both newcomers and neither is Ken, but that's completely different from most people interpret the box theory to be right now from what I've seen.

Last edited:

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
Not to be one of "those people," but as a graphic designer, I don't see why the differences in the leak banner background would make any difference one way or the other as far as production or design goes. It would have literally no effect on production costs, and doesn't function to make the design easier to print or comprehend. It would honestly be a waste of time to make changes to the background at all. If it hasn't changed up to this point, it stands to reason that it most likely wouldn't change for this specific application. That's just my opinion, of course.
Thanks for the clarification, I was just curious because I am not a graphic designer so I have no knowledge about printing artwork. I was mainly concerned with high-res stuff looking bad or losing detail if it was shrunk down and printed on a small object, and taking into consideration what type of material it was printed on. I appreciate the insight!

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I haven't paid the box theory much mind, but I just gave it some thought just now and I assume some people have already mentioned this, but why do people think that Ken and Incineroar would automatically be on the box? Chrom and Dark Samus aren't on it.

Also, naturally, the echo fighters are next to their respective base characters on the box. That means if Ken were on the box he'd have to be next to Ryu - and Ryu isn't on the box right now, meaning Ryu and Ken would take up the last two spots, not Ken and Incineroar. So, keeping with the constraints of the box theory itself, that would mean Ken is the last fighter...which I think most would agree is unlikely.

In my mind that pretty much nullifies the box theory. Of course, there's the possibility that the last two spots are both newcomers and neither is Ken, but that's completely different from most people interpret the box theory to be right now from what I've seen.
There's another side

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
The same source says that some characters are in (based on the leak), but the leak's banner seems off.

https://twitter.com/MysticDistance/status/1055690987341791234

Last edited:

vigneault.charles

Smash Rookie
They let Wreck-it Ralph, a character they have full creative control over, into a relatively minor Sega racing game.

They’d let Sora, a character who they don’t even make the entire say in, into the biggest crossover in gaming history, ESPECIALLY if he’s DLC where they’d get a solid paycheck.
Yes if Sakurai want Sora at any cost he can get it pretty easily. I don't know if he want them to approve/suggest all the moves/take 70% of the DLC money/etc.

osby

Smash Obsessed
My sir, for most of America it is past 10:00 pm
Good evening to the most of America.

I take it as the Grinch theory is still alive and kicking, if we are talking about types of ink and whatnot. I'm still on Team Hmmm but leaning towards fake now.

Last edited:

Mutsukki

Smash Ace

Also, naturally, the echo fighters are next to their respective base characters on the box. That means if Ken were on the box he'd have to be next to Ryu - and Ryu isn't on the box right now, meaning Ryu and Ken would take up the last two spots, not Ken and Incineroar. So, keeping with the constraints of the box theory itself, that would mean Ken is the last fighter...which I think most would agree is unlikely.

Chrom and Dark Samus are on it, numerically wise. There's a weird gap for Ken (or......Medusa I guess) on how the characters are displayed and there's only one spot left on the side we can see. There's a lot of analysis into it that it'll take some time for me to find, but if that's the final box design it's 100% airtight that there are only 2 left

Last edited:

TheSmasher916

Smash Journeyman
You know, I really feel bad for Sakurai right now. Regardless whether the leak is real or fake, he's kind of ****ed one way or another as this roster is literally ideal. If real, amazing, but the whole roster save for the next reveal would be completely unsurprising (the next reveal would be okay because even if it's any of the leaked characters, we won't know for sure if it's real until we see the banner). If it's fake, then a lot of people are going to be disappointed even though this game has so much work and passion poured into it. This roster would blow everyone's predictions out of the water in the best way possible, and especially given the circumstances it'll be really tough to top a roster like this if the leak is fake.

They have to be looking at this one way or another as it is getting MASSIVE attention and coverage. If it is in fact fake, I think their best course of action would be to put up a reveal ASAP, just to rip the proverbial Band-Aid off and give people time to adjust. Because the thing is, no matter how great the roster we got so far is, people will be disappointed if it's anything less, which is a shame given how amazing the content so far has been.

Last edited:

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Good evening to the most of America.

I take it as the Grinch theory is still alive and kicking, if we are talking about types of ink and whatnot. I'm still on Team Hmmm but leaning towards fake now.
Yeah it's still around, although theres more on team 50-50/fake or those like me who think it's only partly true.

Still a civil war.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Can someone send a quick "reasons why it's real; reasons why it's not real" list
I'll give you the synopsis

Reasons why it's real: Gets a lot of details in the mural correct, Grinch poster seems to be legit, and also seems to be a difficult/time consuming leak to fake

Reason why it's not real: The background has inconsistencies and as Oni has shown us, it's literally never changed between the alterations made to character position, so it'd be the first time they would change the background

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Alright! It's finally done!

Unfortunately I couldn't get each and everyone of you in this picture. I just randomly picked a bunch of users to draw. I wish I could make more fit.
However, the castle in the background is supposed to represent the board itself with everyone in it. So technically I did get everyone in this picture!

And now, without further ado, I give you...

drumroll...

THE SMASHBOARDS ANIME POSTER!!!
(it looks nothing like actual anime but I tried my best okay?).

The users in this image are Yours truly, Luigi The President Luigi The President , Zinith Zinith , Pyra Pyra , Opossum Opossum , lightdrago lightdrago , @Mr. Wario , Ramen Tengoku Ramen Tengoku , Idon Idon , @TotsBS , Raspberry Raspberry , @Tougon , ZephyrZ ZephyrZ , papagenos papagenos , and Pazzo. Pazzo. . I really wanted to get more users in this but hey, what can you do?

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend

Also, naturally, the echo fighters are next to their respective base characters on the box (Daisy next to Peach, Richter next to Simon). That means if Ken were on the box he'd have to be next to Ryu - and Ryu isn't on the box right now, meaning Ryu and Ken would take up the last two spots, not Ken and Incineroar. So, keeping with the constraints of the box theory itself, that would mean Ken is the last fighter...which I think most would agree is unlikely.

People presumed Ken'd go on the other side (Isabelle wasn't on the box either IIRC).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom