• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

...Why is the Grinch so fat and pantless?

Like in context how would you respond to a fat pantless man coming in your house and stealing your presents and food?
Why are you staring at his lack of pants?
Keep your eyes to yourself, pervert.

DerpingPikachu

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5074-6946-5113
Hey does anyone have a good quality banjo render that isn’t the the smashified one? I wanna make a mock-up with the leaked characters and show you guys when I’m done.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Oh wait, I found it btw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=113&v=nytpYtLtHpE

Seems to be this apparently. The Grinch back render from the leak is used at the start, shown off for the very first time too on Oct 24th.

In other words, the Grinch content from the leak is 100% legit. Now it's a question of how legit the Smash content is. Would a 50yo Frenchman with a family, who doesn't speak English (I checked his facebook too), go out of this way to create a fake Smash leak at his office just to trick "us kids"? I doubt it. I think Eric was ******** about how much work he had to do, and dun goofed. He posted something he thought was insignificant, and it wound up being actually something SUPER important unbeknownst to him.

Also, he's DEFINITELY not the guy behind the Chadnondorf leak.

The leak is 100% real, best start accepting it. It's legit.
Not sure how I feel about the other points there, but that does absolutely confirm the Grinch render is real.

Which is a big deal.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
incineroar is so boring
People complained when I said this. Then I jokingly called somebody a fanboy (the guy in question, Noipoi, isn't actually a fanboy, and has great art but I felt like pushing buttons a little) and then another person got offended and tried to insinuate I was making fun of people with autism.

All over that comment. It was wild.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Something I think we should all try to look into. This may be time consuming but something has been bothering me with Incineroar...

WHEN DID THE CREDIBLE LEAKERS START SAYING INCINEROAR WAS THE NEW POKEMON REP?

I remember after the box theory was gaining power that Verge started to say "I checked with my source(s) and yes INCINEROAR is the new pokemon rep"

But what about everyone else? Did they all agree around the same time as Verge? Or was there some before the Box Theory? This is just too weird.
Seriously? The idea of Incineroar as the Pokémon rep has been going around long before Box Theory was a thing. There's a reason the term "Inkensable" was so common before Isabelle's reveal, because Incineroar began circulation shortly after Verge made his claim about Isabelle. loz18 is the one who initially leaked Vergeben's claim of Incineroar, back when only one of his sources had that information, but as time passed he became more confident in his claim.

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
Something I think we should all try to look into. This may be time consuming but something has been bothering me with Incineroar...

I remember after the box theory was gaining power that Verge started to say "I checked with my source(s) and yes INCINEROAR is the new pokemon rep"

But what about everyone else? Did they all agree around the same time as Verge? Or was there some before the Box Theory? This is just too weird.
You know, this is actually kind of fair - I have no idea when Incineroar was actually being discussed in-full by the community at large as being a lock for this game's Pokemon rep. I know that a couple of leakers were throwing around hints about a Pokemon rep here and there, and then it just sort of trickled into the main conversation. I feel like maybe figuring out when this started being 100% locked on could maybe be some kind of hint as to what exactly is going on here.

It's about the only real thing I can think of right now - Day 3 with no further leads beyond what we learned yesterday for a leak of this scope is certainly something I haven't seen in a long time.

tsundoku

Smash Rookie
watch me break a rule with my first post in years here.

I do not comprehend how anyone can look at this background comparison and still seriously discuss the grinch leak:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ru...er-updates-in-op.76702/page-145#post-14199041

That aside the character list feels like a GameFAQs Melee fanfiction list where everyone’s elusive fav got in. Its only missing Ashley and a bunch of others that actually did get added this time / last (like mac and krool and castlevania)

As someone who loves Geno and hates Banjo and Isaac I would put all three of them on the same level of undeservedness to make a smash roster.

I’m sticking with not even the insiders on this one, but what I feel is the obvious gut feeling which is that there’s maybe another one or two characters and a handful of echoes to announce.

(which covers boring pokemon like incineroar instead of good ones like raichu or decidueye. and all your ken shadow etc echoes)

Untouch

Smash Master
Says he’s seen the roster but won’t say names or anything. This is the exact bull **** that I hate. Just don’t say anything then if you’re not going to tell people.
He doesn't want people getting fired because he made a mistake.
Interesting how so many people here WANT people to lose their jobs and get in legal trouble for some smash news.

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
What to believe.

A leak that contained TWO leaks, accidentally dropped by a 50 old frenchman who doesn't speak English, with one of those leaks being confirmed legit now (the Grinch render).

Or.

Some guy from ResetERA (lol really?), who doesn't wanna admit he was fed info that was partially right depsite claiming it was a possibility.

One is actual verifiable proof. The other is some guy on the internet. Use your head.
It's been repeatedly stated the Grinch stuff doesn't confirm anything here; the person easily could've been working on it and the Smash stuff was a side project.

Also, Ryce isn't "some guy from ResetERA" (which is the successor to neogaf and has most of it's insiders), he had an ongoing string of leaks that blew MVCI wide open.

How about you take a step back and just be less vitriolic about things? You latched onto a clickbait article about Verg that didn't even cite anything and was patently incorrect; if that's not a sign of taking things too seriously...

ErenJager

Smash Champion
If I had access to a leaked label for a new flavour of listerine mouth wash and then took a pic with some fanart of a morale I made, would my leak be real?

TVDart

Smash Apprentice
I'm gonna say this.

If these insiders were actually shown the whole roster, Nintendo is doing the dumbest crap when handling their game.
The idea is that insiders are secretly friends with people who can be from any part of the development team of a game. That's why you see a lot of insiders coming from backgrounds of journalism, forums administrators, or, dare I say, "influencers". So, this person gives information out to their "friend", and is told they can talk ABOUT the information, but not give the information itself, since it would prove to the company who they are. So you get insiders vagueing about Smash information to keep their sources safe.

So, you're probably wondering, what's the point if they're going to talk about the info, but not say the info itself? Well, the answer is, there's no point to that. That's why no one usually cares about insiders who don't leak information.

beans

Smash Lord
I can summ up all our progress on this leak with one digit
You see, its funny cause we did nothing and because its the full circle we've done.

Solmatter

Smash Cadet
Oh wait, I found it btw:

Seems to be this apparently. The Grinch back render from the leak is used at the start, shown off for the very first time too on Oct 24th.

In other words, the Grinch content from the leak is 100% legit. Now it's a question of how legit the Smash content is. Would a 50yo Frenchman with a family, who doesn't speak English (I checked his facebook too), go out of this way to create a fake Smash leak at his office just to trick "us kids"? I doubt it. I think Eric was ******** about how much work he had to do, and dun goofed. He posted something he thought was insignificant, and it wound up being actually something SUPER important unbeknownst to him.

I'm not seeing it, can someone point it out? All I see is a stylized outline of him at the beginning of the video.

Chrollo.

fka president wario

Spawn Wave straight up said Incineroar’s inclusion is a open secret among insiders and journalist. Gamexplain also expect Incineroar and they’re close to a bunch of insiders.

KMDP

Smash Legend
"This leak that you all can visually see contradicts this thing I saw that I can't show you privately that totally is different and also I won't tell you what's in that one I saw it a few months ago guys I swear."

Yeah.
It's hard to believe people who's pretty much sole argument is "just trust me, or you'll be sorry".
Not that I think this leak is real, but...

"Insiders" aren't necessarily people to 100% trust, either. It's best to be cautious of both sides right now. Anyone can claim they've seen visual proof of the roster.
What's odd is that these people are getting surprisingly angry about this.

If they have 100% proof of what the roster is, why are they so agitated by this leak? It does make me wonder if they themselves are unsure now.
Hmm...

Maybe they're getting angry because they feel like they've been betrayed (by whoever told them).

It's also possible they're getting mad simply because everyone's believing this obviously fake leak and being "sheep"; but I actually think it's a bit much to get angry for that reason (though it's definitely not impossible).

D

Deleted member

We saw Eric's name in the leak, but that doesn't mean that he was the one who actually took the photo. It could have been a careless intern who has nothing to lose.
It was posted as a Snapchat story on Eric's snapchat profile. Meaning the intern would have needed to use Eric's phone. Or make a new snapchat and change his name to Eric's in order to frame him. The latter being SUPER unlikely as he'd have no followers to see the leak. So, then he'd have to change his Snapchat name to Eric's in order to frame him (total **** move).

Final possibility, Eric has a son named Eric, and that Eric took the leak. Either way, Eric Bricard, the same Eric who made those legit Grinch leaks, in involved in this somehow.

All of the options that are not simple "human error from someone who didn't know he had confidential content" are too much of a stretch imo, especially since the story said "LOL, **** Nintendo." Someone who cared about Smash wouldn't say that unless they were willingly trying to **** Nintendo over with a leak.

Zenos

Smash Cadet
NNID
Xenos15
Another issue I have with the leak and the lack of Incineroar is, if this is promotional material to be hanged, where and when would it be used?

These characters would all be revealed in November, so this stuff would all be outdated within a few weeks, and I don't think there's any precedent for that when other reveals have never been spaced so haphazardly.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Interesting how so many people here WANT people to lose their jobs and get in legal trouble for some smash news.
"URGH DUR THERE NO WAY THAT THIS GUY RISKED HIS JOB BY MAKING A SNAPCHAT!!!"

Look at Insiders

"WHY DON'T YOU RUIN PEOPLE'S JOB DAMNIT?!"

That's kinda how I see the whole deal here, and the ****ing hypocrisy with a layer of double standard here.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
You mean like every Pokémon and Smash game ever?
I've heard of guys from Japan leaking Brawl, don't know about Melee, and I've heard that insiders denied ESRB because it didn't have what they had? That might be wrong, it's just what I've heard.

Pokemon, I know they leave all the Pokemon in their demos and some concepts get leaked, but the games are handled by GameFreak correct?

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Seriously? The idea of Incineroar as the Pokémon rep has been going around long before Box Theory was a thing. There's a reason the term "Inkensable" was so common before Isabelle's reveal, because Incineroar began circulation shortly after Verge made his claim about Isabelle. loz18 is the one who initially leaked Vergeben's claim of Incineroar, back when only one of his sources had that information, but as time passed he became more confident in his claim.
This was mentioned back in late August yes? Looked it up and during that time he was "its not Decidueye, Lycanrock or other (I forgot), but went full on Incineroar when people asked him about the Box theory and if it was true.

But what about every other leaker with insider info? Who has been saying Incineroar outside of Incineroar?

EDIT: OK saw Spawn wave, when was that? From the beginning? E3? 8.8?
Also that was 'public knowledge' to the leakers??? Now that seems super odd to me. Unless they are just like "We will give you ONE character, its "Insert name" "

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm really curious what vaanrose vaanrose thinks about the Grinch render being confirmed real. As others have said, that's kinda huge. Didn't vaan say it would be important? I can't tell if he was being serious or not, lol. It was amidst a lot of Grinch memes at the time.

Phyr

Smash Journeyman
My god, this is real
Quoting this to add visibility.

Grinch render confirms the vericity of this. It's case closed unless Nintendo sorta backs up or he sent a fake promotional material as a bait which is RI-DI-CU-LOUS because this is being done in every country for sure.

Edit: Oh damn, it seems inside quotes are deleted when replying :(

Last edited:

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
Ok, I get that I really do. But don’t ****ing say anything then. It’s simple. I don’t want anyone to lose their job smart ass. I mean Vergeben sure doesn’t seem to give a crap.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Oh wait, I found it btw:

We already discussed this yesterday. That render existed long before October 24.

D

Deleted member

Like suggested before, there's a real chance that the "leaker" (not Eric, stop dragging his name through the mud PLEASE), still works at the company involved.
Whether or not that company is Marina or ACP (neither have known connections to Illumination, but neither site would update their examples until what they're producing is complete anyways) is a question no one but the companies themselves can answer.
The leak needed to have come from a Snapchat profile of someone called Eric Brigard.

Either it was him.

Someone with the same name as him,

or someone trying to frame him intentional.

There ARE no other options, and the latter two seem highly unlikely compared to the first.

tsundoku

Smash Rookie
I just wrote up a big post and I guess the forums software ****in ate it?

heres the bullet points
hope its not breaking a rule to post this link

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ru...er-updates-in-op.76702/page-145#post-14199041

this real background comparison completely shattered the leak for me. I dont know how anyone can look at it as real anymore.

Theres absolutely no reason to believe that the name in the leak needed to be involved in the leak. Someone who wants to make a fake leak can find a semi legitimate linkedin to throw under the bus. The name is super visibile in the leak with some minor photomanipulation and that feels deliberate. In addition to blacking out their name they could have just cropped it out of the photo frame.

Theres also absolutely no reason that one of tens of thousands of posts on 4channel with every single variant of any smash roster acts as corroborating evidence for any leak

Untouch

Smash Master
I'm really curious what vaanrose vaanrose thinks about the Grinch render being confirmed real. As others have said, that's kinda huge. Didn't vaan say it would be important? I can't tell if he was being serious or not, lol. It was amidst a lot of Grinch memes at the time.
This render has existed for a long time.
gCuqllU[1].jpg

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Quoting this to add visibility.

Grinch render confirms the vericity of this. It's case closed unless Nintendo sorta backs up or he sent a fake promotional material as a bait which is RI-DI-CU-LOUS because this is being done in every country for sure.
THERE. IS. VALID. EVIDENCE. FOR. BOTH. SIDES.
DON'T. ACT. LIKE. IT. IS. CONFIRMED.

For all we know the dude threw in the Grinch render for ****s and giggles.

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
My dream is that both sides are wrong. We are not getting all the Grinch characters but neither the insider's roster.
Sakurai master of trolling, feed us. There's so much conpiration theory in both sides.
Man, next week will be veeeeery long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom