• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
From the company: https://www.facebook.com/147749832060539/posts/1070378256464354/

Translation:
Rumors of privacy leak on the latest version of the super smash bros game report a link to our company. All these rumors only support one idea, journalism is not limited to searching google.
Indeed, the person involved in this "rumor", if so, is no longer present in our company since November 2016., which has not put its linkedin profile up to date, some wanted to make a rapprochement with The Marina workshops that cannot exist.
Namco is a company we have worked with and with which we want to work again, this is not the case currently for the launch of super smash bros ultimate. These rumours are therefore discrediting our widely recognized professionalism, particularly with regard to our confidentiality commitments.
We are now contacting all these sites and namco / Nintendo to remove this false information and evaluate the judicial suites to be given.
The Marina Team.
November 2016?!

That's 4 months before Ultimate was revealed.

Originality

Smash Journeyman
From the company: https://www.facebook.com/147749832060539/posts/1070378256464354/

Translation:
Rumors of privacy leak on the latest version of the super smash bros game report a link to our company. All these rumors only support one idea, journalism is not limited to searching google.
Indeed, the person involved in this "rumor", if so, is no longer present in our company since November 2016., which has not put its linkedin profile up to date, some wanted to make a rapprochement with The Marina workshops that cannot exist.
Namco is a company we have worked with and with which we want to work again, this is not the case currently for the launch of super smash bros ultimate. These rumours are therefore discrediting our widely recognized professionalism, particularly with regard to our confidentiality commitments.
We are now contacting all these sites and namco / Nintendo to remove this false information and evaluate the judicial suites to be given.
The Marina Team.
That's a critical hit
Sure this rules out Marina. But now we have 2 years of Eric’s career unaccounted for, what’s to say he didn’t move on to another printing company? And this company has a contract with Universal and Nintendo?
This is possible but is also getting into "reaching for straws" territory

Last edited:

ToddCam

Smash Journeyman
I wasn't super active here, but from what I remember overall on the internet the general consensus seemed to be it would be a port+/Smash 4.5 and that the only character with an actual chance of getting cut was Cloud. So "No Cuts" was kinda expected.
You are mistaken. As my only interest at the time was desperately hoping for no cuts, I was hyper aware of all the naysayers about a cutless roster. It was, in fact, Vergeben who was one of the first to mention the idea of no cuts as a leak, and he got a lot of backlash because it was just so hard for people to accept that their preconceptions are wrong.

If you look at the reaction videos, many of the people are shocked by characters like Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, Bayonetta, and Ryu returning.

Everyone is Here was the bigger shock, undoubtedly, but lots of people were just as surprised at the lack of cuts. It was yet another fan rule broken.

DerpingPikachu

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5074-6946-5113

Translation:
The Marina Team.
So...even IF this were true, it's not recent at all and might be out of date.

Pretty crazy for the company where this guy worked responded to this...and is considering legal action, which I don't understand why.
If the leak was fake, then this company wouldn’t be worried about getting in trouble..right?

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
The only way I can see this leak surviving, is if the person that leaked this just used a different former employee's name to cover everything up, but I kinda doubt it
I'm calling it fake...

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Am I to understand that the Grinch leak has not been broken yet? That the only issues with it are maybe shadows, Jiggylpuff's eyes looking weird, and maybe the background is barely different here and there?
Remember Wario bleeding into Game n Watch in the ESRB leak?

AzureFlame4

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4811-6946-8468
Uhh, why is that message on their facebook in English while everything else is in French?

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
Sure this rules out Marina. But now we have 2 years of Eric’s career unaccounted for, what’s to say he didn’t move on to another printing company? And this company has a contract with Universal and Nintendo?
If he was still working his profile wasn't updated for some reason. Plus one of the key argument for Team Real is the fact the leak is coming from a company that is working with Bandai Namco. This leaker is now basically in the same grounds as a random 4chan anon.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/...sponse_from_marina_plv_company_where/e8f6dun/

THE RIDE NEVER ENDS

So, upon further investigation, I don't think this means anything.

There are two Eric Bricard LinkedIn accounts:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/eric-bricard-25b718103/

https://www.linkedin.com/in/eric-bricard-446384173/

The former is the one that links Marina PLV, the latter one links ACP PLV, where he's worked for 1 year and 8 months. They list the same education, so it's clearly the same person. So...this lines up with him leaving Marina PLV in November 2016 assuming he got the new job a couple months later.

We might have been wrong about which printing company this was from all along. The leak might be from ACP PLV and not Marina PLV.

I'm a little less confident in this leak than I was a day ago, but I don't think it's dead quite yet.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Translation:
The Marina Team.
Ouch. Someone send this to the guy with the post explaining how ridiculous 'genius' level the guy would be to make the leak up. This is a pretty big hit to the credibility.

If we think about it, the guy's linkedIn (despite not having been updated), does state 'Graphic Arts Design' as the profession, meaning a good leak is within his power to create; plus, his post to 4chan 'leaking' everything was a MONTH prior; meaning he could have worked on it a month to create the 'perfect' leak in order to 'prove' what he said a month ago. 7 more with Sakurai explicitly stating not to expect too many characters, PLUS a slowdown in information, PLUS Incineroar being pretty excepted as a character by insiders, were already hits to the leak (though not strong enough). This, though, (plus the little inconsistencies pointed out by some), may be the final nail in the coffin.

If fake, I nominate this leak as 'Best Fake Leak Ever Created'

TheMilkmann

Smash Apprentice
Point: Do we have any proof that this leak happened at Marina in the leak itself? The dude could be working at a different design company. just trying to keep the discussion going

Heracr055

Smash Ace
Just because the guy was in a company that didn't print the Smash stuff, and that he hasn't worked there for 2 years, doesn't automatically disqualify the leak imo. There's the possibility thst someone in the industry shared that printed item with him
Edit: Or, like DasKoopa is saying, that the other LinkedIn profile is his more recent job that may also be in the same industry

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Soo...I think the better question for all of us is, who is on Team Fake? Because it seems most are either cautiously optimistic, 100% real, or completely brain-frozen over this. I'm not seeing many detractors at all.

Are you guys sleeping in after your hard fought battle yesterday?:p
I'm on team fake, I still remember how they faked Shantae being in the banner. I'm also on team Ammy/Elma/Shantae/Sora/Rex.

Atmoz

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-5145-1574-6323
Didn't that one French Nintendo fan site confirm that Eric had moved elsewhere to a different sales company? Maybe we should look for that new company he moved to?

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Personally, I have no stake in the leak. I don't care if it's real or fake. That said, I am leaning on it being fake. Looks like some progress was made towards possibly debunking the leak, and it's convincing.

Recreating the background would be a lot easier if there's a blank-slate version for reference. Moving the characters around would be hard, but still not impossible. Add on top of that the recent company statement, and info pointing against the leak seems to be stacking up as fast as evidence supporting it.

That, and I also feel it's "safer" to not believe in the leak. Imagine if it was fake, and we still end up with Ken and Incineroar instead? The anger from people towards those characters, towards Sakurai, and towards the leak would be immense.

Potato_

Smash Lord
I see some people arguing against the leak purely due to the characters it shows. Here's the thing, I don't think "too good to be true" is a valid statement against the leak. Just like how "too awful to be real" was not a valid statement against the box.

We have to judge the leak on the actual circumstances of it and what it presents as whole, not just the characters. Using the box again, the characters to end on didn't make much sense, but it was believed so much because of the patterns and missing spots in it that made it line up with other info we had.

Looking at this leak, it has a lot of fan requested characters in a short time which is definitely crazy, but you also have to look at the things that are making people believe it. Namely the new renders and background of Battlefield, along with the elaborate story that seems to crazy to even make up.

I'd argue that the first real good piece of evidence against the leak was vaanrose vaanrose 's analysis of the background. Dude found an actual REAL image of the empty "Everyone is Here!" art. We should definitely be using that as proof against the leak instead of just "it's too wishlisty".

SSB4Dojo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CommanderCanuck7

Cyberfire

Smash Journeyman
If he was still working his profile wasn't updated for some reason. Plus one of the key argument for Team Real is the fact the leak is coming from a company that is working with Bandai Namco. This leaker is now basically in the same grounds as a random 4chan anon.
Bandai would have never been handling to marketing for this game, so that particular bit of ‘evidence’ never rang true to me.

However, it’s not exactly impossible for somebody to change job and forget to update their LinkedIn. Truth is, we don’t know where this guy works now.

This makes the whole thing even more interesting to me. It’s becoming a goddamn mystery.

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Damn, the dream is dead
Nah, the leak still has way too many things going for it to be ruled out completely. It could be a different company doing it or they are putting out PR fire because they don't want to be screwed. The internet connected the leaker with the company, but it doesn't mean this person took this picture there, he has 2 years unaccounted for.

Anyway, I'm team "we'll see" now. I still can't see it being fake due to the paper trail and the intricacy of it (advertisement cutouts, etc), it's still way too complicated and not fun for this person to risk actual companies if fake. It is possible yes, but I'm gonna just wait and see and hope.

Edit:

LOL. JFC this is nuts. I keep swinging back and forth in this **** lmao

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So...even IF this were true, it's not recent at all and might be out of date.

Pretty crazy for the company where this guy worked responded to this...and is considering legal action, which I don't understand why.
They may have a case for 'Defamation' since the guy claimed to work for them and breaking NDA would hurt their credibility in the industry had it been true.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Hahahahaha oh boy

The counterpoint to the "Official Statement" came too soon after the statement was posted, so now people are bunching up and are only gonna notice the statement

hahahahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom