• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
If this leak is real, here's who I could see being DLC. I would honestly say we might not get a lot of DLC because most of the characters that would be DLC are already in the game. These characters either need to be important, iconic, or relevant, or some combination of the three. I'd expect around 10-15 DLC characters. With the leaked roster + Sora, we have 75 characters and 8 echoes. For the sake of this list, DLC echoes aren't a thing.
  • Lloyd Irving/Yuri Lowell
  • Bandana Waddle Dee
  • Melmetal/Incineroar
  • Rex & Pyra
  • Spring Man
  • Phoenix Wright
  • Monster Hunter
  • Dixie Kong (& Kiddy Kong)
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Doom Guy/Vault Boy
  • Paper Mario
  • Joker/Yu Narukami
  • Lara Croft
  • New Fire Emblem Rep
  • Euden/Katarina (Granblue)
  • Skull Kid
  • New Nintendo IP character(s)
This is literally just filling in the cracks though. This roster would be perfect.
DLC have a lot of hype potential. People in general does not have the same taste Smashboards has.
I talk to some friends and they're like "Geno ?" , "Who wanted K.Rool that much in the first place ?"
Aside the ones you listed there's also:
  • Captain Toad
  • Waluigi
  • Chrono
  • Rayman
  • Travis Touchdown
  • Impa
  • Tingle
  • Ayumi Tachibana
  • Takamaru
  • Leon Kennedy
  • Heihachi
  • Bunch of Pokemon
  • Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)
  • Dillon
  • Shantae
  • Andy (Advanced Wars)
  • Professor Layton
  • Wonder Red
  • Elma
  • A League of Legends character
  • Characters not created for videogames
-----------------------------
I also feel that Smash Ultimate is filling all the major spots that it should (Ridley, K.Rool, Inkling even Simon and Isabelle) but I just can't see Spring Man not being included somewhere, for example.
Not saying that the roster right now is bad. It's awesome. But it's not like it can't become any better.

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
Every insider is panicking because this wasn't what they were told. Either they were given wrong information from what they thought was a trustworthy source or someone with (near-)perfect assets for an empty Battlefield mural, diecut lines for Grinch renders (which only people in marketing really ever use), mockups for both a lanyard and a cardboard wrap-around sign in the style of the Super Mario Odyssey ones, both of which would have been a pain to fake, made up a bunch of renders, and have an account for a company made several years back to allow them to create one of the most complicated fakes in video game leak history. I'm inclined to believe that the former is true given that literally nobody has had a good explanation that isn't complete galaxy brain.

Not to mention the trademarks for Golden Sun and Mach Rider were recently renewed, and they'd have to be used for something if that was the case, so why not for their Smash appearance.

Too Much Lines Up!
Plus, the 4chan leak that had the same characters said that Ray 01 was cut, and Nintendo recently let the trademark for Custom Robo expire.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
But, Pony, imagine. Out of nowhere. Doom Slayer steps out of the shadows. Loads his Super shotgun...
I don't know about anyone else but I'd be more hype for that over Sora.
At this point, I think Doomguy, Phoenix Wright, Monster Hunter, Dante, Heihachi Mishima, Banjo, Minecraft Steve and maybe even Master Chief have a legitimate shot to be in Smash.

The fact that is even feasible is something I can't get over.

...this game already has freaking Solid Snake, Sonic the Hedgehog, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Ryu, Cloud Strife, Bayonetta and Simon + Richter Belmont.

Insane. Absolute insanity.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Man, if we got classic artists to do Smash related crossover fanart, could you imagine THIS, but with all Smash characters?

Though, I have to wonder who Nintendo would let be in Doom Slayer's chokehold.
Even better:
The Doom Slayer trailer is this just replacing the demons with Smash Characters. (And, you know, having that one character launched instead of exploded)

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
Today has almost been too much to handle. I get anxiety and excited jitters just thinking about the next direct...

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Plus, the 4chan leak that had the same characters said that Ray 01 was cut, and Nintendo recently let the trademark for Custom Robo expire.
Doesn't that sound kind of weird? Surely if they were planning on Ray in any capacity they wouldn't just let the trademark expire... right?

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
So Sora's technically confirmed eh? Whelp guess I can rule out Incineroar as the missing character for Base.
Lot's of insiders seem to be hinting at a "bigger reveal" at the game awards or something, and the characters fit the bill seem to be sora, goku, master chief, mickey mouse, and a couple others. I'd say out of those, Sora is by far the likeliest.,

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Um... no unannounced characters are confirmed. It's the one power Sakurai has and I will be damned if anyone tries to take that power away from him (especially after... this). :chuckle:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
They didn't let it expire. It was terminated by the government because they didn't adequately prove they were utilizing the trademark. That's why Ray being "Cut" Makes no sense since that would be adequate usage for the trademark

https://trademarks.justia.com/789/76/custom-78976078.html

https://answers.justia.com/question/2017/08/18/what-is-status710-cancelled-section-8-wh-307355

D

Deleted member

I can't believe there's a sizeable chance that we're gonna live in a timeline where we will replicate the RAW, VISCERAL EMOTION of this 2013 internet classic. How the **** does Sakurai even do this man.

Screenshot (1093).png

Chrono.

If I remember right, Mach Rider's trademark was just due to be renewed this year anyway.

Golden Sun was the weird one because it renwed 3 years in advance.

Last edited:

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
Well... we can say at least that this leak gave us something to do while we wait for actual news.

Also, I really want to see the scenario where the last Smash Direct starting with Sakurai saying "Remember when I said that you shouldn't expect a lot of newcomers? SIKE!" and then proceeds to reveal characters one after the other. That is the kind of trolling no one can be mad about.

Confirmation

Smash Ace
Every insider is panicking because this wasn't what they were told. Either they were given wrong information from what they thought was a trustworthy source or someone with (near-)perfect assets for an empty Battlefield mural, diecut lines for Grinch renders (which only people in marketing really ever use), mockups for both a lanyard and a cardboard wrap-around sign in the style of the Super Mario Odyssey ones, both of which would have been a pain to fake, made up a bunch of renders, and have an account for a company made several years back to purposely create one of the most complicated fake leaks in video game history. I'm inclined to believe that the former is true given that literally nobody has had a good explanation that isn't complete galaxy brain.

Not to mention the trademarks for Golden Sun and Mach Rider were recently renewed, and they'd have to be used for something if that was the case, so why not for their Smash appearance.

Too Much Lines Up!
Rhythm Heaven too. Wrecking Crew, the game also trademarked, has already been put into the Nintendo sub program.

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
  • A League of Legends character
Holy **** imagine Riven in smash bros! That seems almost too perfect considering league is the most popular video game of all time. I don't know if it ever took a strangle hold of Japan however like it has in China or Korea...

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Well... we can say at least that this leak gave us something to do while we wait for actual news.

Also, I really want to see the scenario where the last Smash Direct starting with Sakurai saying "Remember when I said that you shouldn't expect a lot of newcomers? SIKE!" and then proceeds to reveal characters one after the other. That is the kind of trolling no one can be mad about.
At this point, Sakurai should just hand out newcomers like candy before any more **** hits the fan.

(They won't, because everything's scheduled months in advance and have limited flexibility, but still)

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
My question would be. Assuming this is fake, and the leaker didn't see the one we're using to compare it with, was it possible for him to know all the other details such as how long and the exact shape of the leftmost crystals (or the fact that there is a rightmost crystal formation at all since Ivysaur is obscuring it)? Like, you'd think if he saw the official empty Battlefield he would have kept those crystal formations looking exactly the same, so the theory would be that he never saw it. So if he never saw it, was there a way to know about specific details that have been obscured in every version that has characters on it?
That's just a theory, but maybe the "leaker" knew about the E3 picture with the empty Battlefield but had to keep some discrepancies because when moving the characters he had to move some parts of the background too, and in order to make the leak more credible, he had to keep the blank background faithful with the one filled with characters from the same leak.
It's possible that the new background has been completed only after the characters have been moved, but I'm not sure.

It's also possible that the leaker looked at all the versions of the mural, and noticed that blue detail that remained in place even when the characters moved, and assumed it to be a crystal because of the ingame version of Battlefield.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
What sucks is that nothing makes sense at all. So it's legit because a guy's name can be tracked to a company Bamco's involved in but Nintendo isn't which means Sakurai trying to keep this under wraps extends to Bamco's marketing team who for DBFZ leaked like 3 of the base game characters, Ginyu, Hit and Black. Then there's also the Grinch stuff which proves legitimacy but then there's the fact that the Grinch and dog images themselves are re-used from trailers meaning it's possible it's been faked and my head just hurts from this mess

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Okay, but this is the day before the game releases. People will be at midnight releases waiting for the game at this point. Imagine hearing that, all of a sudden, Sora is going to be in the game either as DLC or as the last character revealed.

I don't know about you, but I'd have a hypelectic seizure.
Right, but like... does this game REALLLLLY need more NUCLEAR hype on top of Banjo and freaking Geno and Isaac and all that in 6 weeks?

Just a normal DLC reveal character like Incineroar is more than enough.

To me, it needs it more in mid or late-2018, to help hype up the Switch in 2k19 heading into the inevitable Switch Pro or whatever it is called.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
My question would be. Assuming this is fake, and the leaker didn't see the one we're using to compare it with, was it possible for him to know all the other details such as how long and the exact shape of the leftmost crystals (or the fact that there is a rightmost crystal formation at all since Ivysaur is obscuring it)? Like, you'd think if he saw the official empty Battlefield he would have kept those crystal formations looking exactly the same, so the theory would be that he never saw it. So if he never saw it, was there a way to know about specific details that have been obscured in every version that has characters on it?
Presuming it's fake, the explanation would be he cut out all of the characters out from the banner, and then extrapolated what the missing details were. A part of the rightmost crystal formation is visible behind Ivysaur, which would tell him that there's a crystal there, but not exactly what it looks like or how large it is, hence the discrepancy.

Chrono.

What sucks is that nothing makes sense at all. So it's legit because a guy's name can be tracked to a company Bamco's involved in but Nintendo isn't which means Sakurai trying to keep this under wraps extends to Bamco's marketing team who for DBFZ leaked like 3 of the base game characters, Ginyu, Hit and Black. Then there's also the Grinch stuff which proves legitimacy but then there's the fact that the Grinch and dog images themselves are re-used from trailers meaning it's possible it's been faked and my head just hurts from this mess
Bamco didn't let Ginyu, Hit and Black leak. That was V-Jump ****ing up.

Not much different than Corocoro saying 108 stages recently.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Or he's been a phony this entire time to throw people in a loop.
I don't think he was a fakeout, but rather people focusing too much on the idea of gen 7 having another starter promoted like Greninja.

Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Afraid I don't have time to search back now, but did this get posted? It shows even more of the E3 art, and we can see the leak is missing pretty much the entire background formation.

ChronoKatie

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cocobrien
Switch FC
7004 2762 0628
I'm starting to lean toward fake, and it actually has nothing to do with the points against its legitimacy. It's because in the history of every Smash Bros. speculation, there always comes a leak I had hoped was real but was way too good to be true. I get super hyped at first and then this "Difficult to describe" feeling hits me where it starts to sink in more and more that it is not. I am getting that unique, sombering feeling right now. Curse you, instincts. XD

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
Right, but like... does this game REALLLLLY need more NUCLEAR hype on top of Banjo and freaking Geno and Isaac and all that in 6 weeks?

Just a normal DLC reveal character like Incineroar is more than enough.

To me, it needs it more in mid or late-2018, to help hype up the Switch in 2k19 heading into the inevitable Switch Pro or whatever it is called.
Do you mean mid or late-2019? Cause mid-late 2018 we had "everyone is here" + Ridley + K Rool, which was more than enough.

If you mean 2019, there are still more than enough hype characters than they'll ever be able to add. Master Chief, Goku, Steve, Waluigi, League of Legends Characters, Skull Kid, Doomguy, Monster Hunter, hell even a tetris block character. The list can go on and on and on.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
That's just a theory, but maybe the "leaker" knew about the E3 picture with the empty Battlefield but had to keep some discrepancies because when moving the characters he had to move some parts of the background too, and in order to make the leak more credible, he had to keep the blank background faithful with the one filled with characters from the same leak.
It's possible that the new background has been completed only after the characters have been moved, but I'm not sure.
This doesn't really make sense as the process to move the characters would require him to get the characters in their own layers. Imagine it as you having paper cutouts of every character. If he knew about the E3 blank battlefield he could have just used that one to paste the characters over it. Yea it would take more time to correctly align most characters, but as we know most characters were shifted anyways (and we expect them to be) so it's not really like he needs to be super precise on placement.

It's also possible that the leaker looked at all the versions of the mural, and noticed that blue detail that remained in place even when the characters moved, and assumed it to be a crystal because of the ingame version of Battlefield.
Yea, this is sort of what I want confirmed. But what I am saying is that, if this is the case, is there any other detail on the poster that was hidden by a character completely that somehow perfectly matches the empty battlefield? Because if there is then that would mean the details that don't match were purposely changed (as opposed to "he was just guessing").

Last edited:

TheSpaceKing12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IsaacForSSB4
3DS FC
2105-8706-4581
I know a lot of people are saying this is the “roster of dreams” and I’m many respects, it honestly is to a ton of people. I seriously have to ask though, who outside of the hardcore Nintendo’s community cares for Geno, Isaac, Chorus Kids, And Mach Rider? I mean holy crap we’re happy, but for a lot of people these choices will probably be confusing. But then again, the same could be said of tons of smash characters, so who really knows? Perhaps they just wanted to craft the roster of big fans dreams.

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
As far as the two Directs in a month rumour and secret hidden final character(s) idea goes, I don't see that happening, but if it did, the only way I can see them outperforming themselves with BANJO-KAZOOIE, is adding either one major important character that's beloved, or numerous crazy characters.
If it were Incineroar, nobody would give a ****. If it was Incineroar accompanied by Rayman and Crash/Doomguy/Master Chief, it would definitely work. The chances of this happening are lower than three percent, though.
If this actually happens, I imagine one character, being Sora.
That being said, I think these seven are the final characters, if the leak is true. And I will be ecstatic to see this happen.
Just wanted to give my hot take on this "hidden character(s)" idea.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Yeah pretty much like you, I am here for the wild ride, characters left to add: Dixie Kong, Paper Mario and maybe Toad.
Toad would make a sick Echo Fighter of Mario TBH.
From the Pokemon department, I will prefer Decidueye.

.n_n.
Same, but I love all the Gen 7 Pokémon. They're all very cool, it's a fantastically laid out Gen in terms of monster design. So the way I see it, any Gen 7 Pokémon getting in is a win for me. Incineroar is one of my 10 or so favorites of that Gen too, which makes Incineroar a "big win" for me if we get them.

Decidueye is my favorite 'mon that Gen though, and one of my 3-5 or so favorite Pokémon ever.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Ugh... Sakurai just...
give us some news.

Not even an announcement.
An announcement of a future announcement.
Even if it was 2 or 3 weeks away, it'd at least be SOMETHING to look forward to than this purgatory of speculation.

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
I know a lot of people are saying this is the “roster of dreams” and I’m many respects, it honestly is to a ton of people. I seriously have to ask though, who outside of the hardcore Nintendo’s community cares for Geno, Isaac, Chorus Kids, And Mach Rider? I mean holy crap we’re happy, but for a lot of people these choices will probably be confusing. But then again, the same could be said of tons of smash characters, so who really knows? Perhaps they just wanted to craft the roster of big fans dreams.
Well same can be said for a guy like K Rool. And this could be why Steve/Sora/Master Chief are potentially saved for DLC, because they're more attractive to the masses and that means more sales and more money from DLC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom