• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Heatswave

Smash Apprentice
I'm still torn...

From an emotional perspective I want this to be true, that would be such a hype roster, fullfilling 3 more long living fan dreams with Geno, Banjo and Isaac, and having 2 (for me) unexpected but potentially very interesting fighters with Chorus Kids and Mach Rider... I'll gladly trade Incineroar for these and I can't comprehend doing that much work for a fake leak to troll people on the Internet. A ten minute text leak? For sure, but this leak seems like so much work...

From a rational perspective it just doesn't add up to me. It's just to much for such short time left till release. The time table of character reveals may be strange already marketing-wise, but it could be explained with Sakurais statement that they revealed "too much, too soon" and they just don't have that much left. But if there are 7 more fighters it makes absolutely no sense to not make a Robin/Lucina style trailer reveal in october... Also how should this fit into one direct exactly, with 6 reveal trailers (5 unique, 1 for the echoes and 4 of the unique potentially need a stage reveal also...) and other things to reveal like Spirit Mode, online, etc.?

Either way, I feel like Sakurai and Nintendo are screwed now... If this is the real deal, the surprise is ruined, if it is fake the saltstorm after the next direct will be massive. They just can't win...

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Honestly?
Not many.

But ask yourself, what would the general public care about? Madden? Fortnite? Overwatch? Dota 2? Halo? God of War?
None of these things sound like they're especially high on Sakurai's priority list, so appealing to large groups of dedicated fans seems to be the ideal situation right now. (Unless it's Kingdom Hearts, but even the big D is in the way of that)
Sora without a doubt would captivate everyone.

As for this roster I’ve said it before but I’ll say it again. A large part of the causals would be down for these choices. Think about why bayonnetta won the ballot.

She was cool, badass and had great moveset potential.

Casuals mostly are down for anyone with potential.

So if they see a doll with a ****ing gun and star based attacks, shadow the hedgehog, these kids that can beat the **** out of people with their mouth and this badass chick on a motorcycle.

I think they can hit a lot of points with casuals if each character is marketed well.

Not to mention there’s dlc which can be made to appeal to more people all around.

Smash doesn’t need to appeal to younger audiences because little kids just like seeing mario beat beat the **** out of link.

The teenager and up audience mixed with casuals have a bunch of different interests.

You could take characters from a lot of pretty big games now a days. Like crash monster hunter, any Zelda character, Sora, etc. if dlc is focused on characters like that, the market will be destroyed and they will be making bank. This base roster already has a lot to appeal to a wide range of the audience.

At this point Sakurai could do so many things with dlc that they can corner all markets well. So I think there’s a lot to make people happy and it opens up the door to so many more possibilities to appeal to everyone. Nintendo isn’t going to let this fail to appease everyone. They will know how to market it right and likely help with the right character choices to fully succeed

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
You have to also understand one image was meant to be displayed on a huge *** screen and the other is meant for a piece of paper.
They're not made different I can assure you. The printed one just has lower dpi, which doesn't explain how the crystals are entirely different formations and how the castle is almost gone/irrecognizable

View attachment 171837
Image seems very similar to the Banjo figure that was released recently. If someone had the figure they could probably get that exact pose. Its a bit of a stretch but its always good to keep expectations a little in check (I'm still team real though :p).

This is officially too much of a wild ride now. I-... I think I'm gonna ignore it until a direct drops

Last edited:

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
I'm still torn...

From an emotional perspective I want this to be true, that would be such a hype roster, fullfilling 3 more long living fan dreams with Geno, Banjo and Isaac, and having 2 (for me) unexpected but potentially very interesting fighters with Chorus Kids and Mach Rider... I'll gladly trade Incineroar for these and I can't comprehend doing that much work for a fake leak to troll people on the Internet. A ten minute text leak? For sure, but this leak seems like so much work...

From a rational perspective it just doesn't add up to me. It's just to much for such short time left till release. The time table of character reveals may be strange already marketing-wise, but it could be explained with Sakurais statement that they revealed "too much, too soon" and they just don't have that much left. But if there are 7 more fighters it makes absolutely no sense to not make a Robin/Lucina style trailer reveal in october... Also how should this fit into one direct exactly, with 6 reveal trailers (5 unique, 1 for the echoes and 4 of the unique potentially need a stage reveal also...) and other things to reveal like Spirit Mode, online, etc.?

Either way, I feel like Sakurai and Nintendo are screwed now... If this is the real deal, the surprise is ruined, if it is fake the saltstorm after the next direct will be massive. They just can't win...
Well this will still be a huge ass suprise to be fair, especially considering how on the fence everyone is. And all the insiders have been hinting at a final character as well that isn't on there, could be Sora and that'll be a huge surprise.

Last edited:

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
They're not made different I can assure you. The printed one just has lower dpi, which doesn't explain how the crystals are entirely different formations and how the castle is almost gone/irrecognizable
There's no way of knowing that.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
View attachment 171837
Image seems very similar to the Banjo figure that was released recently. If someone had the figure they could probably get that exact pose. Its a bit of a stretch but its always good to keep expectations a little in check (I'm still team real though :p).
In the banner, Kazooie's head looks more tilted towards the camera.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Smash: No matter what form it takes, always seems to be obsessed with Clouds.

Clouds, Clouds, Clouds.

Smash 64: You can see Double Dedede in the Dreamland Clouds.

Melee: Randall the Cloud on Yoshi's Story.

Brawl: Ridley and K. Rool are in the Clouds.

Smash 3DS/Wii U: Pac-Man is in the Clouds.

Smash 3DS/Wii U DLC: Cloud Strife.

Smash Ultimate: What do the Clouds behind Bowser Jr. look like in this photo?
What can be said. Smash fans have their heads in the clouds.

(myself included...)

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Well this will still be a huge *** suprise to be fair, especially considering how on the fence everyone is. And all the insiders have been hinting at a final character as well that isn't on there, could be Sora and that'll be a huge surprise.
If we got these 7 + Sora on the base roster I just don't know how you can even compete with that.

Like why even make fighting game rosters anymore?

82 characters, 12 3rd party characters, 3 from Konami and Square Enix, 2 from Capcom and SEGA, 1 from Microsoft and Namco Bandai...

...like... how?

That would put us at as many 3rd party characters in Smash Ultimate as we had CHARACTERS in Smash 64.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
There's no way of knowing that.
It's counter productive to produce two of the same illustration with minor changes if there's absolutely no reason to not use the same one and it's, in fact, how most people in Graphic Design would work. Unless they provided him with an earlier, probably wrong or outdated artwork, there's literaly no reason for that.

Trisepta

Smash Cadet
This is confusing me. Doesn't the sky match a little too well for someone who apparently wasn't using the E3 picture as direct reference for the crystals?
You'll find that the spots which are completely different are covered by the characters in the mural. And the spots that are similar, but still different were made by connecting the small visible areas of the background in the mural.

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
If we got these 7 + Sora on the base roster I just don't know how you can even compete with that.

82 characters, 12 3rd party characters, 3 from Konami and Square Enix, 2 from Capcom and SEGA, 1 from Microsoft and Namco Bandai...

...like... how?

That would put us at as many 3rd party characters in Smash Ultimate as we had CHARACTERS in Smash 64.
There will ALWAYS, always be room for improvement. That's just how life and our society work.

Despite the insane roster there's still easily another 50 odd characters they can add.

Heatswave

Smash Apprentice
Well this will still be a huge *** suprise to be fair, especially considering how on the fence everyone is. And all the insiders have been hinting at a final character as well that isn't on there, could be Sora and that'll be a huge surprise.
That's actually true, but the surprise could have been much more hype without the leak imo...
And insiders hinting at even more characters makes me just more skeptical to be honest...

Last edited:

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
It's counter productive to produce two of the same illustration with minor changes if there's absolutely no reason to not use the same one and it's, in fact, how most people in Graphic Design would work. Unless they provided him with an earlier, probably wrong or outdated artwork, there's literaly no reason for that.
The big one could've looked terrible when they scaled it that far down so they made some changes. Or they started with a more "rough copy" like in the leak, and they touched it up alot to make it look amazing on the giant screen. We just don't know.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
A lot of these same points were brought up about 4 1/2 years ago with the ESRB leak about the roster. A lot of those things on the final product were fixed.

But guess what? That photo and video leak was legitimate, 100%.

Not say this is, but changes can happen in development of even artwork.
What can be said. Smash fans have their heads in the clouds.

(myself included...)
Thanks Dad! :laugh:

Noipoi

Howdy!
This guy whose worked with Smashified (got his claims countered pretty hard IMO on the Banjo art) claims that the leaker will reveal themselves soon. Any weight to this, you think?

They’re on team fake.
If this really is fake I hope it's debunked soon. As fun as this thread is i'd rather hopes not get too high only for them to be destroyed.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
This guy whose worked with Smashified (got his claims countered pretty hard IMO on the Banjo art) claims that the leaker will reveal themselves soon. Any weight to this, you think?

They’re on team fake.
I mean, people need to provide a valid counter-point other than "I think it's fake". Because if it's fake (which it could be), this leaker played a loooong con

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
View attachment 171837
It's good to keep expectations in check--always. My honest assessment? The proportions are all off, in the model Banjo's muzzle is enlongated and while that model is posed slightly to the left--it's only slight. And Kazooie is just way different.

However, ultimately it doesn't matter. As Artsy Omni said when he considered if it could be based off the Smashified design. If it were fake, it could, but it could also be based on a multitude of objects and renders. It's hard to say when the image is so zoomed in and low quality. All I can say is from what I can see--it's the most expressive render of Banjo & Kazooie I've seen, and more so than the sort of dead eyed model (I love it, though). It's flimsy, because it's really hard to tell without more detail. But if I were to try to milk this pixelated mess beauty, that's what I can get out of it.

xAquaCrystal

Smash Journeyman
I’m still torn about this leak. I really hope it’s real however if it is real then I truly feel bad for Sakurai and his development team. Kinda feel guilty looking at this leak if it’s real.They all probably worked so hard on this game and Sakurai probably wanted to give fans the final smash ultimate blowout with all these characters only for it to be leaked. However there still people unsure about this leak so the only thing to look forward to is a smash direct in which I hope happens soon.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Not sure if late;

Looking at the gif, there seem to be less differences than what it seemed before. Though, there are some, and they are more deformations of existing elements than completely different stuff.
Such as the cloud in the upper left where Mii's sword is, or another one at the right edge of the first section of the picture (the cloud is there in the original too, but in the leak it's curved upward).
It seems to bring everything back to my initial theory that the background is legit but it has been deformed for some reason.
At this point it's not unlikely that it comes from the E3 picture, but why deforming it? What's the point, when you have the legit background?

If the leak is true, there would have been no reason to deform the picture;
The deformations seem still to suggest that's fake, but still, why the deformations? Maybe there were parts of the character artworks that needed some specific clouds behind them, and when they moved the characters they had to distort the sky to make some specific clouds match part of those characters? I don't know...

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

They’re on team fake.
Spawn Wave is still hinting at Sora, and isn't reliant on this leak, so I'm fine.

Even if that's fake I'm fine because the current roster is amazing as is.

Last edited:

FixedFun

Smash Apprentice

They’re on team fake.
You're just too good to be true

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well bigger games news sites are reporting on the leak without bleedin' great "BUT IT'S PROBABLY FAKE"s attached to it so they must feel at least half way confident that it could possibly be real.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
The big one could've looked terrible when they scaled it that far down so they made some changes. Or they started with a more "rough copy" like in the leak, and they touched it up alot to make it look amazing on the giant screen. We just don't know.
It's not that different that the big one would've made any difference in readability, especially when they're going to cram 70+ characters on that tiny space and it's pretty much common sense in Graphic Design work to avoid unecessary extra work but 'aight.

A lot of these same points were brought up about 4 1/2 years ago with the ESRB leak about the roster. A lot of those things on the final product were fixed.

But guess what? That photo and video leak was legitimate, 100%.

Not say this is, but changes can happen in development of even artwork.

Thanks Dad! :laugh:
The weird part here is that the most recent artwork is less detailed and polished than the older one from 4 months ago. Also ESRB leak was very very clean even when blurry, this one is a hot mess of colors and shapes that we can't make out.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

They’re on team fake.
Actual link to the tweet?

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486

...like... how?

That would put us at as many 3rd party characters in Smash Ultimate as we had CHARACTERS in Smash 64.[/QUOTE]
There will ALWAYS, always be room for improvement. That's just how life and our society work.

Despite the insane roster there's still easily another 50 odd characters they can add.
I mean, you can top that by adding these supposedly leaked characters but like... this roster is CRAZY.

Sure adding Dixie Kong, Spring Man, Rex would add characters to the roster, but like... where after that?

Like... after that we are low on characters that if added even make an impact.

All I can think of are Echo Fighters (Big Boss, Black Knight, Funky Kong, Toad, Waluigi, etc) and just a few other such characters that are just smaller bleeps on the radar.

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
A whole 24 hours and it still stands, stronger than it started, too. We're gonna need to see some major developments in order to prove this one.

Also, really disappointed in that Smashified member's behavior. He's so self-absorbed and cocky it's disgusting.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom