• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
This to the umpteenth degree.

PLEASE HYPE RESPONSIBLY.
IF YOU DO NOT AND END UP DISAPPOINTED IT IS YOUR OWN FAULT.
YOU ARE NOT ENTITLED TO ANYTHING BY THE DEVELOPMENT TEAM,
AND YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO COMPLAIN IF THIS LEAK IS FAKE.

Man I really like this new message format. Thanks @NonSpecificGuy.
i will complain when i damn please tyvm

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Um... I think Vaanrose pointed very specifically where it's worse, mostly aren't based on the resolution either. The crystals got simpler, the castle is gone, the waterfall on the back does a very weird turn. None of these changes make much sense at all.

Again, subjective. Worse to you.

I think the better word you are looking for is just simpler. I said this to someone else before: Go to your local game store, look at the advertisements and cutouts there, compare them to the online official art renders. Usually the ones in store are altered or changed for packaging/advertisement reasons.

osby

Smash Obsessed
50+ pages overnight? You guys are nuts.

Anyway, after sleeping on it, I'm slamming on the doubt brakes hard, but I'll still talk about it, because I'd rather talk about Mach Rider saving humanity rather than whatever the hell we've been talking about the last three weeks.

Peptobislawl

Smash Rookie
Um... I think Vaanrose pointed very specifically where it's worse, mostly aren't based on the resolution either. The crystals got simpler, the castle is gone, the waterfall on the back does a very weird turn. None of these changes make much sense at all.
I mean I'm looking at it and it just looks lower res to me. The crystals are the only thing that's for sure different but that's not enough on it's on in my eyes. The whole castle area turned into a black mess so I honestly can't say if the water's actually doing that or just Potato cam-ing.
Though. say it's all different. That still means ignoring the linkedin profile, the fact we know he works or at least worked where the leak claims he does, the random new Grinch renders with die marks and the whole bit, we'd basically have to assume this guy is some sort of criminal mastermind honestly. 1 maybe 2 changes to the art isn't really enough for me to assume that.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Again, subjective. Worse to you.

I think the better word you are looking for is just simpler. I said this to someone else before: Go to your local game store, look at the advertisements and cutouts there, compare them to the online official art renders. Usually the ones in store are altered or changed for packaging/advertisement reasons.
No, the word I'm looking for is definitely worse. Simpler doesn't cut it here. Only reason it would be getting any simpler would be for printing and that's not an issue seeing they're printing that ungodly poster on a very small size on that "leak".

But we'll have to agree to disagree and see then.

I mean I'm looking at it and it just looks lower res to me. The crystals are the only thing that's for sure different but that's not enough on it's on in my eyes. The whole castle area turned into a black mess so I honestly can't say if the water's actually doing that or just Potato cam-ing.
Though. say it's all different. That still means ignoring the linkedin profile, the fact we know he works or at least worked where the leak claims he does, the random new Grinch renders with die marks and the whole bit, we'd basically have to assume this guy is some sort of criminal mastermind honestly. 1 maybe 2 changes to the art isn't really enough for me to assume that.
Occam's razor and all that I know, but it doesn't sit right. The linkedin profile can be a someone being set up (they don't even work there anymore), the Grinch renders aren't actually new, more like re-arranged (marks are very easy to do on editing software). I dunno, for me it seems like nothing lines up correctly. I don't think this is ESRB level leak.

Last edited:

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
Honestly, regardless of the stance of this leak, today has been so much fun finding what we can make of this leak. I love it when the community comes together and figures out all of these puzzles. It's fun.

Last edited:

Glitch_man42

Smash Rookie
I'm going to play a bit of devil's advocate here. I don't 100% buy this leak. Because it assumes that the company that is distributing both Smash Ultimate and The Grinch is working for Nintendo. Yes its connected to Bandai Namco but last I checked they aren't making Smash Ultimate. Yes they are in association and helping with it, but why the hell would they handle what company distributes the marketing material? Wouldn't Nintendo handle that themselves oppose to delegating it to Bandai Namco? There is no real evidence they actually work for Nintendo. It is a tentative link best.

It is also assuming that this employee didn't fake the illustration of the banner and banner background just because he works for a company that distributes promotional material. I find it a lot more believable a GRAPHIC DESIGNER faked it, stupidly took a picture of the "leak" he faked with real The Grinch promotional art work and left his ****ing name in the photo.

What even is being distributed? An Armband? Why is it so long? It doesn't look practical for anything, but that is my opinion. Even then it looks like it be a ****ty armband. Why would it even be an armband? Why would they specifically distribute an armband?

This isn't like the ESRB leak. Every game in the USA has to go through the ESRB. There is no real proof or reason why this company is connected to Nintendo. Yeah their is the Bandai Namco link, but that is weak as hell. I get it, it seems like everything makes sense, but only in the most loose or straight forward of ways.

TL;DR: There is no proof this company is linked to Nintendo other than a weak Bandai Namco link. Its more likely an independent employee faked a leak and ****ed up like an idiot. And there is no 100% reason why this company is in association with Nintendo unlike the ESRB.

Also I hope Mach Rider is in, I just don't think that this leak is real.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I'm just gonna go ahead and believe it and if it's false I won't be disappointed.

Hell, if Isabelle was the last character announced I still couldn't be disappointed.

I still have over 70 characters to beat Classic Mode with.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
I saw a lot of denial few pages ago because some stuff doesn't look perfect in the blurry image.
I remember when ESRB came out that people said that Wario eye was missing and G&W hand was over his portrait.

.. And actually, is kind of right. The 3DS roster is ugly as hell, even because it works much better in the 3DS itself.
What I want to say is that just because something is weird doesn't mean it's fake.
Nintendo, and everyone, messes up a lot in digital design/imagery.
Because we're not looking so deep into each detail, we only see the weird things when we want to. I bet we can find some weird stuff in the current version of the picture. Since characters change place with new announcements and there's so many characters, it's easier to make mistakes in this whole-roster image.

Attachments

Last edited:

Alaskalana

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Alaskalana
3DS FC
4871-7882-0999
Switch FC
SW-2013-3915-8713
If this leak is real...this will definitely be the ultimate entry. It already was, but now it's like...damn. I'm kind of finding it hard to say anything. Lol

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
I'm going to play a bit of devil's advocate here. I don't 100% buy this leak. Because it assumes that the company that is distributing both Smash Ultimate and The Grinch is working for Nintendo. Yes its connected to Bandai Namco but last I checked they aren't making Smash Ultimate. Yes they are in association and helping with it, but why the hell would they handle what company distributes the marketing material? Wouldn't Nintendo handle that themselves oppose to delegating it to Bandai Namco? There is no real evidence they actually work for Nintendo. It is a tentative link best.

It is also assuming that this employee didn't fake the illustration of the banner and banner background just because he works for a company that distributes promotional material. I find it a lot more believable a GRAPHIC DESIGNER faked it, stupidly took a picture of the "leak" he faked with real The Grinch promotional art work and left his ****ing name in the photo.

What even is being distributed? An Armband? Why is it so long? It doesn't look practical for anything, but that is my opinion. Even then it looks like it be a ****ty armband. Why would it even be an armband? Why would they specifically distribute an armband?

This isn't like the ESRB leak. Every game in the USA has to go through the ESRB. There is no real proof or reason why this company is connected to Nintendo. Yeah their is the Bandai Namco link, but that is weak as hell. I get it, it seems like everything makes sense, but only in the most loose or straight forward of ways.

TL;DR: There is no proof this company is linked to Nintendo other than a weak Bandai Namco link. Its more likely an independent employee faked a leak and ****ed up like an idiot. And there is no 100% reason why this company is in association with Nintendo unlike the ESRB.

Bandai Namco is making Smash Ultimate though...

Peptobislawl

Smash Rookie
No, the word I'm looking for is definitely worse. Simpler doesn't cut it here. Only reason it would be getting any simpler would be for printing and that's not an issue seeing they're printing that ungodly poster on a very small size on that "leak".

But we'll have to agree to disagree and see then.
It's actually a mock up of a wrap for one of these,
there's an image of this exact thing with the smash banner wrapped around it. Almost for sure it's this and not a wristband

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I still think they were cut because of the 3ds
A lot of stuff was cut for the 3DS. A LOTTTTT!!!
a bloodbath I'm looking forward to. *throws the horns up in the air and headbangs to "Bodies" by Drowning Pool*
I am fine with being chopped to death in the upcoming Speculation DLC Crusades for the loves of my life, Crono, Dixie Kong, Big Boss, and so on.
also thank you for this post nsg
Oh look, more people coming out of the woodwork.

And one more to lock up back in the barn :smirk:

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I'm just gonna go ahead and believe it and if it's false I won't be disappointed.

Hell, if Isabelle was the last character announced I still couldn't be disappointed.

I still have over 70 characters to beat Classic Mode with.
Brook (one piece) is in Smash

Yet another Marth clone

Noipoi

Howdy!
I gotta do something, it'll take 40 minutes to an hour. If there aren't a hundred new pages when I get back i'll be disappointed.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I suppose that, in the name of catch-up and forum cred, I ought to publicly opine about the (potential) (remaining) newcomers.

Here goes:

-Chorus Kids would be cool. Bunch of cuties running around. You will notice that my present avatar features one of them, so my bias here is front and center.

-My only exposure to Isaac is the Brawl AT. His only exposure to me was a significant factor as to why he missed the cut in Smash 4. I guess it evens out in the end, so I'm neutral on this one.

-Sonic Adventure 1/2 were my entry points into the Sonic. So I'm fond of Shadow, even if he naively thinks chaos can be controlled.

-I would Mach Rider, but unfortunately, I don't even Mach Know Her.

-While I have no attachment to Geno, I know he means a lot to many here, so I'll gladly allow it. A star-sent saviour in the form of a wooden puppet, come to fulfill the hopes of the masses. Which is apt, since -- little-known SMRPG fact! -- his body was carved from the Cross.

-Banjo-Kazooie takes the cake, the quiche, and a good chunk of that soufflé, don't mind if I do.

Like many, I too wonder about Incineroar. I specced into Rowlet in Pokemon Moon, which happened to be my very first mainline Pokemon game (Stadium 64 and Snap at my left hand and my right, where you at son), but a flaming cat dandy would serve well. As would have Dixie, if it's to be believed that she was considered, but cut. Who even does that btw.

Lastly, for posterity, my quickfire darkhorse no-chance dreamteam, so you know where I stand -- Gengar, Amaterasu, Goemon, and Shadowman (from the obscure Acclaim title).

I know.

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace

As far as what you got blatantly wrong, Bandai Namco is actually a major part of the development of Smash, and those aren't armbands, they're full circular panoramas meant for ceiling and/or pillar displays.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Honestly, I don't especially care how people hype themselves up.

I'm just sick of people being attacked over their unpopular opinions and trying to dismiss those opinions purely as nonsense.
70837881_p31_master1200.jpg

Do me a big favor and try respecting people's tastes and discussing things with them.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
It's better to hype responsibly in my opinion, so you don't get hit too hard with disappointment. Even in a game like Smash Ultimate, where long-requested characters by fans are finally making the cut.

I kept my expectations low during Smash 4, and the roster turned out better than I expected in some aspects. And that's not even counting the DLC.

----

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
Vaan's analysis gave me some hope this might be fake, but I'm still basically a nervous dude just waiting for a doctor to call and give me the results. This is the first time I've felt this type of uncertainty in regards to a Smash leak. I don't like it.

D

Deleted member

Actually, now that DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon is here, what is your take on a reveal at The Game Awards, and it possibly being Sora to kick DLC off for Smash Ultimate?

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
But that's not the same thing as marketing the game, which is what Nintendo does here
You literally said, "last I checked, Nintendo is making the game" but Bandai is the head developer as well as Sora Ltd. We have no idea what other roles they have, but it's clearly substantial.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Honestly, I don't especially care how people hype themselves up.

I'm just sick of people being attacked over their unpopular opinions and trying to dismiss those opinions purely as nonsense.
View attachment 171809
Do me a big favor and try respecting people's tastes and discussing things with them.
Yeah pretty much this. It’s been one of the only pet peeves of mine in this thread.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Vaan's analysis gave me some hope this might be fake, but I'm still basically a nervous dude just waiting for a doctor to call and give me the results. This is the first time I've felt this type of uncertainty in regards to a Smash leak. I don't like it.
Real talk, even if this is fake, why would you be hopeful that it was fake?

Banjo? Geno? Mach Rider? Issac? Shadow?! Chorus Kids from the old Gematsu "leak" of Smash 4 days? It's the general consensus dream roster.

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
I honestly haven't seen much hate in this thread. The worst I've seen is humorous pictures poking fun of how the picture could taint Verg's credibility. Of course things COULD get bad but I still think we need to do abide by "Innocent before proven guilty" before we start lecturing people.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
It's actually a mock up of a wrap for one of these,
there's an image of this exact thing with the smash banner wrapped around it. Almost for sure it's this and not a wristband
There's a blueprint for that partially hidden and there's a mockup for a wristband on the right side of the "leak image".

Honestly I'd fail to see what good it would bring to mock-up something of that size in such a diminutive scale, but it... can happen I guess.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Since its likely Incineroar will be in. Gonna do this again.

01: Mario
02: Donkey Kong
03: Link
04: Samus
04e: Dark Samus
05: Yoshi
06: Kirby
07: Fox
08: Pikachu
09: Luigi
10: Ness
11: Captain Falcon
12: Jigglypuff
13: Peach
13e: Daisy
14: Bowser
15: Ice Climbers
16: Sheik
17: Zelda
18: Dr. Mario
19: Pichu
20: Falco
21: Marth
21e: Lucina
22: Young Link
23: Ganondorf
24: Mewtwo
25: Roy
25e: Chrom
26: Mr. Game & Watch
27: Meta Knight
28: Pit
28e: Dark Pit
29: Zero Suit Samus
30: Wario
31: Snake
32: Ike
33-35: Pokemon Trainer (Squirtle, Ivysaur, Charizard)
36: Diddy Kong
37: Lucas
38: Sonic
38e: Shadow
39: King Dedede
40: Olimar
41: Lucario
42: R.O.B.
43: Toon Link
44: Wolf
45: Villager
46: Mega Man
47: Wii Fit Trainer
48: Rosalina & Luma
49: Little Mac
50: Greninja
51-53: Mii FIGHTER (Brawler, Gunner, Swordfighter)
54: Palutena
55: Pac-Man
56: Robin
57: Shulk
58: Bowser Jr.
59: Duck Hunt
60: Ryu
60e: Ken
61: Cloud
62: Corrin
63: Bayonetta
64: Inkling
65: Ridley
66: Simon
66e: Richter
67: King K. Rool
68: Isabelle
69: Incineroar
70: Mach Rider
71: Chorus Kids
72: Isaac
73: Geno
74: Banjo-Kazooie

Dark Samus: Play 5 vs. matches
Luigi: Play 10 vs. matches
Ness: Play 15 vs. matches
Captain Falcon: Play 20 vs. matches
Jigglypuff: Play 25 vs. matches
Peach: Play 30 vs. matches
Daisy: Paly 35 vs. matches
Bowser: Play 40 vs. matches
Ice Climbers: Play 45 vs. matches
Sheik: Play 50 vs. matches
Zelda: Play 55 vs. matches
Dr. Mario: Play 60 vs. matches
Pichu: Play 65 vs. matches
Falco: Play 70 vs. matches
Marth: Play 75 vs. matches
Lucina: Play 80 vs. matches
Young Link: Play 85 vs. matches
Ganondorf: Play 90 vs. matches
Mewtwo: Play 95 vs. matches
Roy: Play 100 vs. matches
Chrom: Play 105 vs. matches
Mr. Game & Watch: Play 110 vs. matches
Meta Knight: Play 115 vs. matches
Pit: Play 120 vs. matches
Dark Pit: Play 125 vs. matches
Zero Suit Samus: Play 130 vs. matches
Wario: Play 135 vs. matches
Snake: Play 140 vs. matches
Ike: Play 145 vs. matches
Pokemon Trainer: play 150 vs. matches
Diddy Kong: Play 155 vs. matches
Lucas: Play 160 vs. matches
Sonic: Play 165 vs. matches
Shadow: Play 170 vs. matches
King Dedede: Play 175 vs. matches
Olimar: Play 180 vs. matches
Lucario: Play 185 vs. matches
R.O.B.: Play 190 vs. matches
Toon Link: Play 195 vs. matches
Wolf: Play 200 vs. matches
Villager: Play 210 vs. matches
Mega Man: Play 215 vs. matches
Wii Fit Trainer: Play 220 vs. matches
Rosalina & Luma: Play 225 vs. matches
Little Mac: Play 230 vs. matches
Greninja: Play 235 vs. matches
Mii FIGHTER: Play 240 vs. matches
Palutena: Play 245 vs. matches
Pac-Man: Play 250 vs. matches
Robin: Play 255 vs. matches
Shulk: Play 260 vs. matches
Bowser Jr.: Play 265 vs. matches
Duck Hunt: Play 270 vs. matches
Ryu: Play 275 vs. matches
Ken: Play 280 vs. matches
Cloud: Play 285 vs. matches
Corrin: Play 290 vs. matches
Bayonetta: Play 295 vs. matches
Inkling: Play 300 vs. matches
Ridley: Play 305 vs. matches
Simon: Play 310 vs. matches
Richter: Play 315 vs. matches
King K. Rool: play 320 vs. matches
Isabelle: Play 325 vs. matches
Incineroar: Play 330 vs. matches
Mach Rider: Play 335 vs. matches
Chorus Kids: Play 340 vs. matches
Isaac: Play 345 vs. matches
Geno: Play 350 vs. matches
Banjo-Kazooie: Play 355 vs. matches

or

Dark Samus: Play 10 vs. matches
Luigi: Play 20 vs. matches
Ness: Play 30 vs. matches
Captain Falcon: Play 40 vs. matches
Jigglypuff: Play 50 vs. matches
Peach: Play 60 vs. matches
Daisy: Play 70 vs. matches
Bowser: Play 80 vs. matches
Ice Climbers: Play 90 vs. matches
Sheik: Play 100 vs. matches
Zelda: Play 110 vs. matches
Dr. Mario: Play 120 vs. matches
Pichu: Play 130 vs. matches
Falco: Play 140 vs. matches
Marth: Play 150 vs. matches
Lucina: Play 160 vs. matches
Young Link: Play 170 vs. matches
Ganondorf: Play 180 vs. matches
Mewtwo: Play 190 vs. matches
Roy: Play 200 vs. matches
Chrom: Play 210 vs. matches
Mr. Game & Watch: Play 220 vs. matches
Meta Knight: Play 230 vs. matches
Pit: Play 240 vs. matches
Dark Pit: Play 250 vs. matches
Zero Suit Samus: Play 260 vs. matches
Wario: Play 270 vs. matches
Snake: Play 280 vs. matches
Ike: Play 290 vs. matches
Pokemon Trainer: Play 300 vs. matches
Diddy Kong: Play 310 vs. matches
Lucas: Play 320 vs. matches
Sonic: Play 330 vs. matches
Shadow: Play 340 vs. matches
King Dedede: Play 350 vs. matches
Olimar: Play 360 vs. matches
Lucario: Play 370 vs. matches
R.O.B.: Play 380 vs. matches
Toon Link: Play 390 vs. matches
Wolf: Play 400 vs. matches
Villager: Play 410 vs. matches
Mega Man: Play 420 vs. matches
Wii Fit Trainer: Play 430 vs. matches
Rosalina & Luma: Play 440 vs. matches
Little Mac: Play 450 vs. matches
Greninja: Play 460 vs. matches
Mii FIGHTER: Play 470 vs. matches
Palutena: Play 480 vs. matches
Pac-Man: Play 490 vs. matches
Robin: Play 500 vs. matches
Shulk: Play 510 vs. matches
Bowser Jr.: Play 520 vs. matches
Duck Hunt: Play 530 vs. matches
Ryu: Play 540 vs. matches
Ken: Play 550 vs. matches
Cloud: Play 560 vs. matches
Corrin: Play 570 vs. matches
Bayonetta: Play 580 vs. matches
Inkling: Play 590 vs. matches
Ridley: Play 600 vs. matches
Simon: Play 610 vs. matches
Richter: Play 620 vs. matches
King K. Rool: Play 630 vs. matches
Isabelle: Play 640 vs. matches
Incineroar: Play 650 vs. matches
Mach Rider: Play 660 vs. matches
Chorus Kids: Play 670 vs. matches
Isaac: Play 680 vs. matches
Geno: Play 690 vs. matches
Banjo-Kazooie: Play 700 vs. matches

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
I would think twice before taking Melee trophies to seriously. Japanese-to-English translations have pronoun shenanigans all the time.

Also, it feels good talking about a character that we didn't already for months.
I've been talking about Mach Rider for a good while.

Also, I still think it's safe to say Mach Rider's a guy, unless they want to pull a Samus, again. If the girl by the bike is Mach Rider out of her suit, than the knife would be awesome in the moveset.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I mean pipe dreams exist, like Banjo & Kazooie (very surprised with the leak) and Travis Touchdown, it will be the first time that the roster has satisfied me completely.
My pipe dream is still Crono. If we got Crono, oh man, the world would end.

After that it's probably Master Chief, Scorpion from Mortal Kombat (played MKX for the 1st time really ever a few months ago and love that game to death), Goku (based on DBFZ) and Sephiroth (as a semi-clone of Cloud) in the "pipe dream" category.

My non-pipedreams are still Dixie Kong, Isaac from Golden Sun, Big Boss as an alt character or Echo Fighter, really any Capcom character (Phoenix Wright or Dante namely), Banjo, and any of the Mishima clan from Tekken.
By the way John, how do you stand in this leak? Fake or real?

.n_n.
Probably real but I'm not too worried either way. Either way we are probably getting at least ~5 out of these 7 characters playable by the end of DLC.

And if it's real, Incineroar fans shouldn't be worried. DLC is still a thing, and we're getting a new Pokémon from Gen 7 one way or another. You're still good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom