• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
But, Pony, imagine. Out of nowhere. Doom Slayer steps out of the shadows. Loads his Super shotgun...
I don't know about anyone else but I'd be more hype for that over Sora.
Oh yes, I've been wanting Doom Slayer for so long.
In fact, in terms of want, I'd put him only 2nd to Demi-fiend.
Demon-Slayer vs. Demon Master. Ugh, it's so perfect.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Because I'm still bored.

Super Mario Bros.::ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultbowser::ultdoc::ultrosalina::ultbowserjr:Geno
Donkey Kong::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool:
The Legend of Zelda::ultlink::ultsheik::ultzelda::ultyounglink::ultganondorf::ulttoonlink:
Metroid::ultsamus::ultdarksamus::ultzss::ultridley:
Yoshi::ultyoshi:
Kirby::ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede:
StarFox::ultfox::ultfalco::ultwolf:
Pokemon::ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultpichu::ultmewtwo::ultpokemontrainer::ultlucario::ultgreninja:Incineroar
EarthBound::ultness::ultlucas:
F-Zero::ultfalcon:
Ice Climber::ulticeclimbers:
Fire Emblem::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultroy::ultchrom::ultike::ultrobin::ultcorrin:
Game & Watch::ultgnw:
Kid Icarus::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultpalutena:
WarioWare::ultwario:
Metal Gear Solid::ultsnake:
Sonic the Hedgehog::ultsonic:Shadow
Pikmin::ultolimar:
R.O.B.::ultrob:
Animal Crossing::ultvillager::ultisabelle:
Mega Man::ultmegaman:
Wii Fit::ultwiifittrainer:
Punch-Out!!::ultlittlemac:
Mii::ultmiifighters:
Pac-Man::ultpacman:
Xenoblade Chronicles::ultshulk:
Duck Hunt::ultduckhunt:
Street Fighter::ultryu:Ken
Final Fantasy VII::ultcloud:
Bayonetta::ultbayonetta:
Splatoon::ultinkling:
Castlevania: :ultsimon::ultrichter:
Mach Rider: Mach Rider
Rhythm Heaven: Chorus Kids
Golden Sun: Isaac
Banjo-Kazooie: Banjo-Kazooie
Bro how bored are you that you're listing out the leaked roster multiple times?

Go watch a Youtube video or something. We'll still be here.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
I think that Banjo will be saved for VGA.
One day before the release, if they achieved that without leaking, it would be so awesome.
Not a post-game DLC announcement, but a 1-day before launch one.
That thing people did at some E3 years ago where they announce a DLC that is available RIGHT NOW, but now with something that really matters.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Is it possible? Definitely, and it makes sense too.

A reveal at the VGAs has to be big, and not Ridley meme big, but an actually large reveal. So, it has to be a third party because at this point Nintendo has exhausted all of their true internet-destroying characters with Ridley and K. Rool.

What is a massive game coming out shortly after the VGAs and Smash Ultimate?

Kingdom Hearts 3, one of the most anticipated video games since it's announcement over five years ago.

Sora as a cross-promotion for both games would be a massive reveal. Start it like a Kingdom Hearts 3 trailer, but then BAM it's a Smash Bros. trailer and he's in the game. You get him for free if you purchase the also announced Kingdom Hearts 3 port for Nintendo Switch. Either that or he's Day 1 DLC and is free for those who purchased a Nintendo Online membership.

That, my friends, is how you generate hype.
That wouldn't just generate hype. It would decimate the competition's reveals that night. Sora in Smash would highkey break the internet.

You don't need to save Sora for the Video Game Awards though. You can have Dixie Kong, Heihachi Mishima, Rex, Spring Man, or any number of characters that would get some hype or attention.

I mean... Nintendo back in 2013 revealed Cranky Kong in DKC: Tropical Freeze at The Game Awards. You don't need to go for the Grand Slam, just a solid double will do.

Last edited:

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Even if I think it’s fake, I gotta admit that it’s VERY well done. I’m not discarding the possibility I’m wrong here, and that’s more than what I could say for 99% of the leaks

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
20 bucks says you were one of the people that drove Verge to that stuff
Never spoken to the guy in my life. Don't even have an account on GameFAQs. And people being skeptical of someone don't "push anyone" to act the way he has unless they have the personal constitution of a wet paper bag. He's an attention seeker that doesn't like to explain himself and assumes that he must be believed, else the non-believer is somehow a moron.

Where's my $20 btw? Haha "drove him". If he didn't want to have to be questioned and have some patience for skepticism, I guess he shouldn't have involved himself in internet fame-seeking huh?

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Thank god this leak probably only has an uncertainty period of ~2 weeks, I don't think I could take more than that.

Box talk was boring but it didn't play with my feeeeeelings. *o*

Chrono.

I like @papagenos a lot, but isn't it possible someone is lying to him to try to ruin his credibility? Shame on them if they are.
I just finished watching his video and this thought wouldn't leave my mind.

I hope it isn't the case, but we have seen it happen before with Neo Zero and all.

MojoRobo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScientistRobo
Switch FC
SW-7435-3779-2976
Just dropping in to check on things, and this thread is wild, honestly...

There was a problem fetching the tweet

I'll see you guys on the other side :thinking:
The idea that there's somehow another character who is EVEN BIGGER than the combined reveal of Geno and ****ing Banjo that Nintendo would go out of their way to exclude them from marketing is hilarious.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
What if Vergeben is the new Gematsu and Incineroar and Minecraft stuff only appears in Smash 6 ? :idea:

----------------------------------------------------
Also, it's funny that the "codenames leak" got a lot too.
It said about K.Rool and Dixie (looks like she was considered).
Simon and Isabelle (both in the game)
Mech (looks like Ray 01 was considered)
Rhytmin (Chous Kids)
Doll (Geno)
Prime Ribs (D. Samus)
Currently lacking Folklore, Archer and Old Man.
If Heihachi be announced in DLC days, we need to not forget this one.
Not to ruin the pattern, but didn't those have dates? That were--incredibly wrong? And given that it's lacking a few, I would just consider that a point against it, as many were either obvious, popular, or vague enough to apply to anybody, as well as (if we take this leak seriously) not including Banjo or Isaac (unless @Tougon gets his wish and old man is Beard Isaac). :upsidedown:

EDIT:
I think that Banjo will be saved for VGA.
One day before the release, if they achieved that without leaking, it would be so awesome.
Not a post-game DLC announcement, but a 1-day before launch one.
That thing people did at some E3 years ago where they announce a DLC that is available RIGHT NOW, but now with something that really matters.
If this current leak is true, then that probably already failed. :chuckle:

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Oh yes, I've been wanting Doom Slayer for so long.
In fact, in terms of want, I'd put him only 2nd to Demi-fiend.
Demon-Slayer vs. Demon Master. Ugh, it's so perfect.
We have Angel vs. Angel Slayer already. :p

Also, Demi-fiend would be cool, but I'm boycotting him if Pixie isn't in one of his victory screens/taunts/specials/Final Smash.

Chrono.

The idea that there's somehow another character who is EVEN BIGGER than the combined reveal of Geno and ****ing Banjo that Nintendo would go out of their way to exclude them from marketing is hilarious.
****ing Goku.

Lynn Eslie

Smash Apprentice
So, here's a curiosity that I was just made aware of...

There appears to be something that looks very much like Majora's Mask hidden in front of Mach Rider's bike.

At first, I was inclined to believe this was a trick of the eyes; a particle effect masquerading as a blurry semblance, much like the "KOS-MOS in the clouds" (sniffle) earlier. However, looking at Mach Rider's bike, there are no pieces of it that in any way line up with this color scheme.

Following that, the question would be, "Well then they're probably just headlights or blasters." but no, you can see the Windshield of the Mach Bike near Rosalina's feet, so if these were headlights, they would not be facing in the same direction as the bike. Even if what appears to be the windshield is just another case of background elements bleeding through, the front of Mach Rider's bike should be white on blue, not black with hints of red and green. So then, they must just be highlights from the background bleeding through the whee-... but Mach Rider's Bike has solid sheets of metal instead of standard rims, so that's also a no...

It's probably nothing again, but it seemed like something potentially interesting.

(unless it was already posted, and I missed it somewhere in the last 100 pages...)

Last edited:

Chrono.

There appears to be something that looks very much like Majora's Mask hidden in front of Mach Rider's bike.

At first, I was inclined to believe this was a trick of the eyes; a particle effect masquerading as a blurry semblance, much like the "KOS-MOS in the clouds" (sniffle) earlier. However, looking at Mach Rider's bike, there are no pieces of it that in any way line up with this color scheme.

Following that, the question would be, "Well then they're probably just headlights or blasters." but no, you can see the Windshield of the Mach Bike near Rosalina's feet, so if these were headlights, they would not be facing in the same direction as the bike. Even if what appears to be the windshield is just another case of background elements bleeding through, the front of Mach Rider's bike should be white on blue, not black with hints of red and So then, they must just be highlights from the background bleeding through the whee-... but Mach Rider's Bike has solid sheets of metal instead of standard rims, so that's also a no...

It's probably nothing again, but it seemed like something potentially interesting.

(unless it was already posted, and I missed it somewhere in the last 100 pages...)
Death.

Taxes.

Skull Kid conspiracy theories.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Throwback to the ESRB leak, when every attempt to spot an inconsistency got debunked. I'm getting extremely similar vibes from this.
Remember when someone shopped Dr. Mario to look like Mario... proving nothing other than Mario looks like Mario?

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
That wouldn't just generate hype. It would decimate the competition's reveals that night. Sora in Smash would highkey break the internet.

You don't need to save Sora for the Video Game Awards though. You can have Dixie Kong, Heihachi Mishima, Rex, Spring Man, or any number of characters that would get some hype or attention.

I mean... Nintendo back in 2013 revealed Cranky Kong in DKC: Tropical Freeze at The Game Awards. You don't need to go for the Grand Slam, just a solid double will do.
Okay, but this is the day before the game releases. People will be at midnight releases waiting for the game at this point. Imagine hearing that, all of a sudden, Sora is going to be in the game either as DLC or as the last character revealed.

I don't know about you, but I'd have a hypelectic seizure.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
If I were Nintendo, I'd drop a Direct as soon as possible before this gains traction with the general public. I know it's being reported on now, but casual fans don't check video game sites as often as we do. While some of this is still a secret to a few, showcase the trailers.

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800

See: D. Bottom image = E3, Top Image = Grinch.

Note Jr.

On the E3 image, the area where Jr. is appears to be filled by a puffy Cloud, whereas the official image is consistent with the leak image on this specific detail. Why is this odd? Because on C, on Vaanrose's image, it's 100% true that the Fortress appears to be missing despite the fact that it can be seen in proximity to Zelda on every banner.

(You'll need to zoom in)

It's harder to see on some of these, but you can see cracks of sunlight through pillars on even the "hidden" ones, and the "hidden" ones are hidden because of character shifts.

leaktalk3.jpg

leaktalk2.jpg

It's still present, but obscured, meaning they did not remove the fortress but (apparently?) removed a cloud?

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Has anyone figured out what's up with Pichu's face yet? Some sort of...maybe a logo is covering it...? I mean, nothing should be covering a character's face in promotional material, but maybe this is something unrelated in real life on top of the picture? But it seems to maybe have little words around it so?? Uh, left is what we have now, right is what was in the snapchat, and middle is "enhanced"...just yeah, any idea...? Maybe yall already discussed this, I must have missed it cause I haven't seen any ideas around this...
View attachment 171816
Okay so I guess not then?

FurretBro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FurretBro
Attention, all Super Smash Bros gamers!
Sakurai's in trouble, and he needs your help
to defeat the Grinch and stop the roster leaks.
All he needs is your credit card number, the expiration month and year, and the three numbers on the back.
But hurry! The Grinch is about to leak the entire roster, and Sakurai needs your help!
Perfect. Excellent.

Naiko3232

Smash Apprentice

Following that, the question would be, "Well then they're probably just headlights or blasters." but no, you can see the Windshield of the Mach Bike near Rosalina's feet, so if these were headlights, they would not be facing in the same direction as the bike. Even if what appears to be the windshield is just another case of background elements bleeding through, the front of Mach Rider's bike should be white on blue, not black with hints of red and So then, they must just be highlights from the background bleeding through the whee-... but Mach Rider's Bike has solid sheets of metal instead of standard rims, so that's also a no...

this makes sense, since having him in the bike in the promotional artwork would sugesst that he would bike in the game, which would be a very unlikely scenario.

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
If we wanna talk gamersphere-shattering VGA reveals, I can definitely think of a few names.

DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon , imo, has one of the best heads on his shoulders of the folks here, and he's right in saying Sora is most definitely a yuge character to drop. Kingdom Hearts is big, and as somebody who's only ever owned Nintendo consoles, Kingdom Hearts is one of maybe two things to ever make me jealous of Playstation owners.

If they could SOMEHOW navigate the copyright maze, Dragon Quest would also be massive.

Doom Slayer would definitely be on a comparable level, being the father of FPS and (currently) a Bethesda character. DOOM is arguably bigger now than it's ever been, especially with DOOM 2 on the horizon.

Honestly? Master Chief would imo be the single best possible addition for a sheer hype factor. It'd legitimately rewrite gaming history if Microsoft's flagship character made it into a primarily Nintendo-based fighting game.

Glitch_man42

Smash Rookie
Yeah we have no idea, so I'm not sure what exactly you're getting at.
I have seen so many people act like all of these links are definitive proof. This is the most convincing leak yet. But it is still just minor links. Just because this one guy who for sure works for this company has leaked an image for Ultimate doesn't mean the image is being distributed by said company. I just feel people are putting more stock into it, and ignoring possible faults with it because its so convincing and the roster it presents is a dream come true. The link to Bandai Namco isn't a 100% airtight connection, but people are acting like it is, and that bothers me a bit.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
The only ones I could think of that could top Banjo (in terms of significance) would be: Crash, Steve, and Sora.
Of course they could've just left off a fighter (or two) not on the level of Geno/Banjo because... reasons.
I don't know what's going on anymore.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
What I'm still hurting my head about this is that why would there be a need to slow down reveals if there's 7 left? "Sakurai is a troll! It's to make us expect less!" Ok but for starters, he's a professional and literally has never tried downplaying a roster before and then there's also the fact that 7 characters in a single announcement is just cluttered. If I were in charge of the marketing, I'd try evenly pacing the reveals to get people more excited each month and so that the hype for certain characters can just sink in, cause if all these 7 are announced at once, nobody will give a **** about half because "Omg banjo/Geno" and that's kind of underselling the others

TheSpaceKing12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IsaacForSSB4
3DS FC
2105-8706-4581
Just dropping in to check on things, and this thread is wild, honestly...

There was a problem fetching the tweet

I'll see you guys on the other side :thinking:
Based on that guy's history....

Yeah Sora's good to go.

He had a pretty decent pull in smash, I know competitive players like Zero really wanted him. So yeah, more wish fulfillment. Which you can never have too much of. I'm not a huge sora for smash guy, but i'm happy that folks are probably gonna get their character. Especially after Isaac, Geno, and K rool. Like we're seriously running out of huge fan picks at this point if the leak is true.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
What is more absurd is that is seems like it's a group/combined character, since he says "they weren't" instead of he/she isn't.
There are any other characters that function as a duo/group, that is very important and is not in the game ?
Maybe he is hinting at something like Master&Crazy hands ?
Exactly the unique character I can see Nintendo not revealing and being a combo.
They could make Dixie+Kiddy or a new Pokemon Trainer, or BotW champions... but there's nothing understandable of not revealing them. Master&Crazy characters are the Smash bosses, it could work as a final secret.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Don't act as if you know whether or not I empathize with their fans. My brother is a big Incin supporter. I'm merely explaining why so many people have pitchforks ready for Vergeben and are willing to scapegoat Incineroar for it. I don't personally want to do this, but Vergeben's obnoxious attitude, attention-seeking behavior, and overall immaturity about his "holier than thou" status means that I'm ready to stop hearing about him and put him behind us. How we achieve that end is neither here nor there. Incineroar just unfairly gets the blame.

And yes haters for these characters has existed prior. But I'm inclined to believe that people don't mind them as much as what comes across. They're just associated with Vergeben, unfortunately. I don't want users like @GoldenYuiitusin to think we all hatemonger him and his character. I really, truly hope he makes it in. But a part of me also knows Vergeben will try to spin everything in his favor if he does and just say "my sources just didn't know about the rest". Call it a petty battle, but he's ripped the community in half and done so with a big ol' grin. The part of everyone that enjoys a just universe wants him to lose. Not Incineroar. Not his loyal fans. Not Steve. Just Vergeben.

Now if the dude had been professional and friendly all along, I bet no one would feel this way.
They absolutely would be acting vitriolic toward those characters even if Vergeban was the nicest man alive. When it comes to leaks, whether it was Ninka-Vaanrose, Gematsu, ChaosZero, etc., fans are at their worst when it comes to speculation and many leakers from varying levels of temperament have all had to endure constant attacks, berating, insults, and even threats at their worst. This fandom does not take kindly to the idea that the roster we're getting isn't up to the standard that they set, and that has translated into some of the worst behavior you can ever see on a forum. That's something that has never been curbed, and the fact that it's still apparent now with all the crap people are slinging at Incineroar and Steve fans shows that it hasn't changed in the slightest.

Additionally, while I don't like Vergeban myself, note that even before he made his negative comments people were constantly insulting him or looking for ways to prove him wrong. Whether it was 4Chan, GameFAQs, even Smashboards, you didn't have to look far for anyone who didn't like the leak to insult the guy for daring to leak something they didn't like. The fact that he reacted that way, while negative in its own right, is a symptom of this fandom's incessant need to have their favorite character in above all else, and if anything comes in the way of that, screw them and anything involved with them. Regardless of how you're feeling about Vergeban, you're perpetuating this behavior by insisting that it's perfectly OK to insult, threaten, and even outright run off the game from the internet. That is not OK in any capacity, and it shouldn't be acceptable in any way.

Last edited:

Naiko3232

Smash Apprentice
Okay, but this is the day before the game releases. People will be at midnight releases waiting for the game at this point. Imagine hearing that, all of a sudden, Sora is going to be in the game either as DLC or as the last character revealed.

I don't know about you, but I'd have a hypelectic seizure.
that would be absolutely insane.

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
If we wanna talk gamersphere-shattering VGA reveals, I can definitely think of a few names.

DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon , imo, has one of the best heads on his shoulders of the folks here, and he's right in saying Sora is most definitely a yuge character to drop. Kingdom Hearts is big, and as somebody who's only ever owned Nintendo consoles, Kingdom Hearts is one of maybe two things to ever make me jealous of Playstation owners.

If they could SOMEHOW navigate the copyright maze, Dragon Quest would also be massive.

Doom Slayer would definitely be on a comparable level, being the father of FPS and (currently) a Bethesda character. DOOM is arguably bigger now than it's ever been, especially with DOOM 2 on the horizon.

Honestly? Master Chief would imo be the single best possible addition for a sheer hype factor. It'd legitimately rewrite gaming history if Microsoft's flagship character made it into a primarily Nintendo-based fighting game.
And then we need Crash or Spyro. Everybody is here!

Last edited:

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
i just don't know what's going anymore...but I agree that this one is the most convincing leak, yet. It sparks that hype flame immensly!

Mutsukki

Smash Ace

See: D. Bottom image = E3, Top Image = Grinch.

Note Jr.

On the E3 image, the area where Jr. is appears to be filled by a puffy Cloud, whereas the official image is consistent with the leak image on this specific detail. Why is this odd? Because on C, on Vaanrose's image, it's 100% true that the Fortress appears to be missing despite the fact that it can be seen in proximity to Zelda on every banner.

(You'll need to zoom in)

It's harder to see on some of these, but you can see cracks of sunlight through pillars on even the "hidden" ones, and the "hidden" ones are hidden because of character shifts.

View attachment 171817

View attachment 171818

It's still present, but obscured, meaning they did not remove the fortress but (apparently?) removed a cloud?
I’ll sound like a madman, but at this point I might as well and see what happens. I... actually think the guy didn’t use the E3 image at all and actually patched almost everything up with photoshop.

yeah it’s ridiculous. it’s not a huge amount of effort but it’s still a lot. But the more I think about it, the more it makes sense.

By the way I’m pretty sure E3 puffy cloud is the one behind DK’s arm

EDIT: Scratch pretty sure, I'm 100% sure. Look at the small circle ray of light coming from above it, it alings perfectly with the cloud behind DK's arm

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
We have Angel vs. Angel Slayer already. :p

Also, Demi-fiend would be cool, but I'm boycotting him if Pixie isn't in one of his victory screens/taunts/specials/Final Smash.
mtjNdjQ.jpg

This would make for a reaaaaaally good victory screen.
Plus, it's super adorable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom