• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Sakurai said from the start not to expect too many newcomers. It's easy to believe he just means a fair bit less than in the last games, but still at least ten.
The rest could be DLC. Easy to imagine Dixie Kong DLC, Shantae DLC and Bandana Dee El Cee.
Because there's a limit to how much you can cram into one game. There's a limit to how hard you can push developers.

This roster would be beyond most people's wildest hopes and dreams.

No roster, no matter how good, is going to have every single character that every single person wants. It's literally impossible.
Right, and don't get me wrong, I'm all fine with this roster and excited for the next character hype cycle after this game releases, but I'm just in general confused by the simple amount of characters we're supposedly getting, whether it be shared between the two Nintendo Directs we have upcoming in November or all in Smash. This whole situation is confusing.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Spoiler Alert for the upcoming Source Gaming article trying to disprove this:

They’ll say it has no Pokémon rep, must be fake

It’ll mean there will be more than 103 stages, must be fake.

Goes against Sakurai’s quote to not expect too many new comers, must be fake.

Goes against Sakurai’s quote they’ll be slowing down newcomer reveals, must be fake.

Goes against the box and card theory we’ve been heavily pushing, must be fake

The shadows thing, someone said that, yup, must be fake.

I like Source Gaming, but they can get hung up on some of their own ideas.
I don't think they're doing it out of arrogance or anything, they're more so trying to manage expectations, they know their voice carries weight so they're trying to avert another Corrin/Dark Pit/R.O.B situation, and as such they obviously lean towards the more pessimistic stuff. Although I do admire that they try, I also hope they realize that it's mission impossible, supporting characters for Smash is something people have extremely strong feelings for, and you can't change that conviction they have no matter how hard you push or repeat something.

Although I'll say not all of these are bad points, they don't debunk it at all, but they're worth considering.

Raspberry

Smash Journeyman
I have no doubt that the leak is real, even if they don't reveal all characters next and they only reveal two or three which are placed somewhere else in their group picture than in the final one from the leak. Remember that they can be moved again later, so any discrepancy in their placement would not matter.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
If there is any consolation. Most of these characters had a very vocal fanbase for Smash. The pool of highly requested characters has been reduced by quite a bit. So if Sakurai where to open up another ballot for DLC, you'd have an easier time in getting your voice heard.

I'm not too interested in any of these characters myself though I'd be happy for their fans, if does end up being real, I'd be feeling more optimistic for my faves during the DLC period.
I do hope Level-5 is up for making Layton DLC because I surely will pay money to get him. Id buy him so fast that id be going super sonic speed

MassKirbycide

Smash Cadet
Not surprised by Isaac. I'm still convinced that he was going to be revealed in the direct a couple of months ago, and the reason the Direct was delayed after the earthquake was because it would be tactless to have a character causing earthquakes on the same day as people got killed by an earthquake. As for the rest, hoooooly **** yes. Really hoping this is real.

Alaskalana

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Alaskalana
3DS FC
4871-7882-0999
Switch FC
SW-2013-3915-8713
Sooo, did y'all see the Snapchat "leak"? Supposedly the entire roster was "leaked".

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
A 50-Fact Extravaganza would do it.

1 trailer every 10 facts? It could be done.
That could work. They'd probably sandwich the whole thing between the two 3rd parties but who'd be first and who'd be last? I feel Banjo would probably go first but that's just me.

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
Yeah, Im peronally dissapointed and while I cant say The roster is good from my own personal view, its good for other people, just not for me, sadly.

i really do wanna like the game but Im finding it hard to with my intrest in the characters being low
I simply do not understand how anyone could look at a video game roster with Mario, Solid Snake, Sonic, Mega Man, Pac Man, Ryu, Cloud Strife, Simon Belmont, and Banjo-Kazooie and be disappointed.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
page 6000 and smash ultimate might have leaked and we are talking about the grinch.

yup normal day on smashboards.
The new one? The original? or that one where he chews up the scenery for 2 hours and were expected to think its charming?

Squirtle/Mario guy

Smash Journeyman
Alright i'm jumping off the box theory HAH HAHAHAHAHA I NOW DEFEATED THE BOX THEORY I LIKE THAT MURAL LEAK (except for the fact that no new Pokemon or Bandana Dee) BUT I NEVER LIKED THE BOX THEORY WOHOO !
I sounded like a maniac, oh dear ...

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I know we've torn up the shadows but Snake is bothering me the most like

snakeshadow.png

He's looking for it now.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
That could work. They'd probably sandwich the whole thing between the two 3rd parties but who'd be first and who'd be last? I feel Banjo would probably go first but that's just me.
Banjo would be last, I think. He's too huge of an inclusion to leave Geno as the final reveal. I've always thought Geno would be last, but if Banjo is in too, then I think he'll be our final reveal.

MalcolmBelmont

Smash Journeyman
Apparently Grant Kirkhope says it's fate but it's very much possible he doesn't know anything about the Smash Bros Roster

KMDP

Smash Legend
Shouldn't Banjo be last because he'd be the most hype-worthy?

A character returning to Nintendo after a decade of being with Microsoft? That'd be a helluva bang to end on.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Question: How the HFIL do you structure a direct that has 5 newcomer trailers to show?
Continuious "We have one more annoucnement...please take a look".

Seriously none of these characters make sense to share trailers...we've never seen that with unique newcomers. So either we aren't getting trailers for every unique newcomer (I'd be surprised) or we are getting 5 trailers in the next direct....or maybe we will get a late October trailer drop, or early November before the Smash direct.

It's super unlikely but definitely not impossible. It would be a crazy direct XD

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I simply do not understand how anyone could look at a video game roster with Mario, Solid Snake, Sonic, Mega Man, Pac Man, Ryu, Cloud Strife, Simon Belmont, and Banjo-Kazooie and be disappointed.
Its pretty easy, Im just not intrested in them as much as everyone else is. How is that hard to understand? Not to be rude, not my intention, but why is that hard to understand

Last edited:

Alaskalana

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Alaskalana
3DS FC
4871-7882-0999
Switch FC
SW-2013-3915-8713
Lol Sorry, I don't keep up with the discussion page by page :( I only come here on my free time

But yeah...Banjo <3

D

Deleted member

This is the thing. I'm a massive Elma supporter. My other picks are unconventional - Travis Touchdown, Phoenix Wright, Neku Sakuraba, Ayumi Tachibana, M. Bison, Dr. Robotnik, etc - but at the same time...look at this roster. LOOK at it. Isaac? A Rhythm Heaven rep? The OG echo fighter? Another Sonic rep that has GameCube ties? And the potential for DLC fighters? That's absolutely insane. I'd be over the moon about it despite none of my most-wanted characters getting in except Simon. It's a fantastic roster and more than. I ever expected considering I thought Smash Switch was just gonna be 4 Deluxe.
I wouldn't say some of your picks are unconventional, Phoenix and Travis definitely are great candidates for newcomers. I do, however, feel bad for all the people who support Neku after the mistreatment and controversy The World Ends With You: Final Remix has gotten in recent memory.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
There are potentially 700 people looking at that Peter Pan Snake.

This is now my legacy.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
(Fixed ;))
If this leak is real it's surprising that we actually got 16 newcomers which is two more than what Melee got. I made this edit of this infographic to show how the newcomer count and lineup looks like throughout the Smash series if this leak is real

"I hope you're not expecting too many newcomers."

Less than Smash 4 and Brawl. It roughly matches with Smash 4, and each game got progressively bigger. It's what I thought after E3 (16 was even my prediction, but I thought 8 unique 8 echoes).

This isn't to say it's real, or even taking the leak as to being believed. But I really don't feel like this could be called "too many newcomers".

Now, 7 in a month--THAT I think may be too much. But wouldn't surprise me with this game's crazy pacing.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I do hope Level-5 is up for making Layton DLC because I surely will pay money to get him. Id buy him so fast that id be going super sonic speed
Same here, assuming he doesn't get Assist Trophy'd. You know I'll be campaigning hard for the Prof during the DLC period, especially if they open up another ballot!
Here's hoping they will give the game a good healthy amount of DLC characters post release, especially since there are no veterans involved this time around either.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Question: How the HFIL do you structure a direct that has 5 newcomer trailers to show?
Duel reveal trailers. It's been done before ala Lucina and Robin but it does beg the question of who would be paired with who because they're all very different thematically...(although Geno and Isaac sharing a trailer would be badass)

Primal Cookie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 2532 0420 7538
Sakurai: omae wa mu shindieru
Us: NANI?!?!

HOLY ****!!!

but no bandana dee rip

Last edited:

Chrollo.

fka president wario
Gonna leave this here:
https://reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/9r0ddr/spoilers_guys_its_a_paper_armband_not_a/

IIRC, there’s some big event coming up that might use the final build for Ultimate coming up (I don’t remember the full details but from what I do remember some reputable Japanese game reporter mentioned how Nintendo didn’t refer to said build being used for the Tournament as a demo, despite them doing so in the past) which explains when this might be used, if real at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom