• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

StormC

Smash Hero
I wouldn't have the fight left in me for another hardcore campaign like I did with K. Rool (#krocthevote), but I would throw some love to Banjo.

StormC

Smash Hero
I'm much more of a Dante fan than Bayonetta so I would legit be hyped. DMC also definitely has a pretty big cultural footprint in modern-ish gaming.

Ultimate's Nintendo lineup is much more satisfying to me than Smash 4's, so the third parties are less disarming to me this time around.

Last edited:

NineS

Smash Lord
I've seen a lot of talk about 2B throughout this site, but it might just be limited to this site. 2B's popularity seems very similar to Bayonetta's before her reveal. A total sleeper hit. Her lack of ties to Nintendo however might be an issue
I feel 2B is in a similar spot to what Bayonetta was back then, as you said, but also in a similar spot to what Cloud was, as Cloud himself hadn't appeared in a Nintendo console through FFVII in a similar way to 2B hasn't through NieR: Automata... yet, anyway, similar to Cloud.

She technically has appeared on a Nintendo console before, though the game she appears in on a Nintendo console isn't a Nier game or even a Square Enix game. It's Phantasy Star Online 2 and it's Japan only. Granted, Yoko Taro has said he wants to port NieR onto the Switch like he did with XBox and I wouldn't be shocked if they're currently doing it right now.

I've seen plenty of other sites talk about 2B as well, but Smashboards the most. Though, 2B does seem to be a popular contender over in Japan, and Square Enix has been pushing NieR hard after the success of Automata. It was practically both Square Enix's and especially Platinum Game's saving grace in 2017. Well, less of Square Enix, but it did do surprisingly better than some of Square Enix's top franchises that year, including Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy.

I'm not trying to say she's likely, though. Believe me I know it's a long shot, and she's extremely unlikely. I do think she has a better chance for DLC than most think, though that may be either because I'm one of the few who've looked into this too deeply or bias. I think it's the latter, even if I hate to admit it.

For what it's worth though, https://www.sourcegaming.info/2017/03/15/thinking-outside-the-box-sakurais-famitsu-column-vol-526/

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I'm pretty sure I'm the only K. Rool supporter who legit marked out over Cloud's inclusion. K. Rool is the only character to surpass that hype for me.

Cristaran

Smash Journeyman
Another ballot means i can vote for touhou again, so its fine by me...

The fandom however... I hope it doesn´t have that much casualties if it does happen

KMDP

Smash Legend
Only playing characters you're familiar with kind of defeats the purpose of Smash. It's designed to bring all of these characters from gaming history together, some of which you may not like or know. Take that away however, and you lose a good portion of what makes Smash special.
Very true.

How many of us have gotten into a series specifically because of Smash Bros.?

Let's see...

Nobody in Europe would have any idea who Ness was without Smash 64. Lucas has a similar deal; really, how many people would care about him if not for Brawl?
Most of the early western Fire Emblem fanbase got into the series because of Melee.
I can almost guarantee that Shulk incited people to buy Xenoblade Chronicles 3D (and Xenoblade 2).

For a personal thing, my first experience with the Legend of Zelda, Metroid, Star Fox, F-Zero, Dr. Mario and Ice Climber was with Melee; while I probably would have discovered Zelda eventually anyway, Melee probably accelerated the process.

EDIT: I actually encountered Fire Emblem before Melee came out, through a gaming magazine reporting on upcoming GBA releases (FE: Binding Blade being one of them).
Damn it, why does every Fire Emblem discussion around here explode into, well....fire?
Because some people can't handle things they don't like getting attention.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Still, XB2 music does seem odd, especially without a XB2 stage or character. Not impossible for it to just seem like it is, but odd.
It's not particularly odd. Music from unrepresented sequels/prequels of established game series for semi-related stages is kind of common occurrence.

Adding music is a way of recognizing less popular games within a series even if they can't get a stage/character/AT. Or, in XB2's case, a way of recognizing games that are simply too new to have been represented in any other way. How hard can it be to secure the rights to one or two XC2 songs and plug them into the XC1 stage?

Enderwoman

Smash Journeyman
cloud is one of the best additions to smash there ever was

smash fans stay angery

Last edited:

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
Can someone convince me as to why Dante deserves to be in Smash? The Ryu Hayabusa talk from awhile back got me to accept his possible inclusion, so I'm hoping I can open up to Dante, as right now I really would rather not have him

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Can someone convince me as to why Dante deserves to be in Smash? The Ryu Hayabusa talk from awhile back got me to accept his possible inclusion, so I'm hoping I can open up to Dante, as right now I really would rather not have him
From what I recall he represents and introduces Hack n Slash gaming.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well not only is Luigi not the last character on site, we're actually getting some new info with Luigi confirmed to use the Poltergust in his regular moveset.

I wonder if Luigi has a ranged grab now.

Last edited:

NineS

Smash Lord
From what I recall he represents and introduces Hack n Slash gaming.
I like Dante, and I feel he'd be interesting... But are there any other reasons people really push for him?

I don't really know much about him aside from the fact he's Hack n Slash, essentially something similar to Bayonetta. That, and I couldn't care less if he gets into smash currently as I don't have a reason to.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well, if a new Ballot does happen and God help us all if it does, this is who I'd pull for:
Skull Kid
Impa
Sylux
Rex & Pyra
Isaac
Andy
Mach Rider
Leon Kennedy
Monster Hunter
Dante
Kazuma Kiryu
Flynn
Demi-Fiend
Ren/Joker
Nightmare
Chosen Undead
Lloyd
2B
Sora
Erdrick
Bill Rizier
Ryu Hayabusa
Doomguy
Because some people can't handle things they don't like getting attention.
Fire Emblem is my least favorite Nintendo IP and even I think I've handled it better than most people here.

Last edited by a moderator:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
If there's ever another ballot, I'm not really sure who I'd rally behind.

I already got Daisy. I won. So. Uh.

...maybe Jill?

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Well, if a new Ballot does happen and God help us all if it does, this is who I'd pull for:
Skull Kid
Impa
Sylux
Rex & Pyra
Isaac
Andy
Mach Rider
Leon Kennedy
Monster Hunter
Dante
Kazuma Kiryu
Flynn
Demi-Fiend
Ren/Joker
Nightmare
Chosen Undead
Lloyd
2B
Sora
Erdrick
Bill Rizier
Ryu Hayabusa
Hmmm....

Maybe I'd go down the Yoshi rep line first: Boshi, Kamek, Poochy. Then I'd go Mike Jones, then Crash, then Banjo, then Skull Kid...

I don't know what after that...

StormC

Smash Hero
It's 12:30 AM and because I want to... here's my personal newcomer (and returning veteran) hype tier list:

Brawl
S Tier
:diddy:
A Tier
:dedede::metaknight::sonic:
B Tier
:wario::wolf::lucario::pt:
C Tier
:snake::ike:

Smash 4
S Tier
:4megaman::4cloud:
A Tier
:4mewtwo:
B Tier
:4palutena::4greninja::rosalina::4bowserjr::4duckhunt:
C Tier
:4villager::4robinm::4littlemac::4pacman::4ryu::4lucas:

Ultimate
S Tier
:ultkrool:
A Tier
:ultridley::ultsnake:
B Tier
:ultwolf::ultrichter:
C Tier
:ultinkling::ultdarksamus::ultsimon::ultpokemontrainer:

Can you tell I'm a Donkey Kong fan? I actually became a fan of MGS between Brawl and Ultimate, hence Snake's bump.

Banjo would be another S Tier most likely. Dixie, Bandana Dee, and everyone else would be around B.

If I don't list the character either I'm totally indifferent or they did something to bother me. Maybe they slept with my wife or something.

Last edited:

Androobie

Banned via Warnings
As fit as she may be, I don't think I'll ever see the day she can beat :ultkingdedede: at a gourmet race, as heavy as he may be.

He's already perfect.
I bet my boi can challenge Dedede's """""perfection""""" :yoshi:
There are only two things in the universe that are truly perfect: The taste of Waluigi’s fans’ tears and my boyfriend. I don’t think anything else can really compare.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
I think you guys are fooling yourself a bit if you think K. Rool didn't place higher than Bayo in the Ballot but that's really all I'll chime in with

Calm down friends
To be fair, K. Rool was dead around that time, while Bayonetta was very popular and relevant due to her game just being released last year as one of the "must-have" Wii U exclusives back then. It's not a stretch to suggest she was more popular than him.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
What if Banjo is DLC though?
Well, that was my point. If he's not in the base, I'll be voting for Banjo until he's in. If he's in before the vote happens, I've now committed myself to vote for Boshi, because I got the only character I care about most in.

( Zinith Zinith might think I'm just joking, but I am actually committed to that)

StormC

Smash Hero
To be fair, K. Rool was dead around that time, while Bayonetta was very popular and relevant due to her game just being released last year as one of the "must-have" Wii U exclusives back then. It's not a stretch to suggest she was more popular than him.
There's more to popularity than being in a recent game.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Well, that was my point. If he's not in the base, I'll be voting for Banjo until he's in. If he's in before the vote happens, I've now committed myself to vote for Boshi, because I got the only character I care about most in.

( Zinith Zinith might think I'm just joking, but I am actually committed to that)
Don't worry, you gave me no reason to believe you were joking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom