• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
That'd be interesting, but a total misrepresentation of the poltergust and waste of potential lol
Not entirely. If Luigi's Final Smash is the same then he'd still suck things up. I assume that might be the case or else the his Final Smash is different. Otherwise it would seem redundant to have his grab and FS be similar.

Last edited:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Not entirely. If the Final Smash is the same then he'd still suck things up. I assume that might be the case or else the his Final Smash is different. Otherwise it would seem redundant to have his grab and FS be similar.
Time for the magnificent return of Negative Zone!

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'm about to go to sleep, but before I do I leave you with this crappy doodle.

My two most wanted characters. I hope to see them revealed soon!
Nice! Hate it when people act like they are enemies or something.

I don't really see what's wrong with Rex and Pyra's outfit to be honest, even if it is on the "anime" side of things. I've seen worse.
I think "anime" designs really worked well, since characters can actually do facial expressions. That being said, I hope next game will have better art direction. A lot of characters were designed by different artists and while it has some merits, IT SHOWS.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
So, i´m kinda new here, was a lurker before, so i´d like to ask, whats everyone´s favourite character?
I main Ness, although I'll switch to the RH rep if that happens
Not entirely. If the Final Smash is the same then he'd still suck things up. I assume that might be the case or else the his Final Smash is different. Otherwise it would seem redundant to have his grab and FS be similar.
Then again, his FS could use all of the new gadgets instead. Sucking up opponents just seems like such a perfect and obvious grab, I'd be a shame if it wasn't used.

StormC

Smash Hero
So, i´m kinda new here, was a lurker before, so i´d like to ask, whats everyone´s favourite character?
Veteran-wise, Cloud is my favorite to play as. (Ooh, boo, sneer, I know.)
Newcomer-wise, K. Rool!
In general, my favorite video game character is Solid Snake.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Then again, his FS could use all of the new gadgets instead. Sucking up opponents just seems like such a perfect and obvious grab, I'd be a shame if it wasn't used.
Kirby's grabs don't involve sucking people in. That is reserved as a special move. It think in terms of grabs, having a clear visible hitbox is important. That's why the plunger might be better.

Either way I wouldn't be disappointed if sucking people up was reserved for the FS. The FS is the Ultimate move and the coolest ability. It's kind of an honor to have the Poltergust as his FS.

Noipoi

Howdy!
My opinion shifts day to day. Right now i'm really into Inklings.
Lucky for you I'm pretty sure they are the final unique newcomers left.
Lucky me :grin:.
Somethingsomething some people think getting Incineroar will prevent any old fan favourite from getting in.
That's pretty stupid. If Isaac or whoever doesn't get in they weren't meant to get in, it's not Incineroar's fault.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Pyra was designed by a hentai artist which kinda says everything.

She'd be the first character with that honor in Smash.

And then there's Rex. Like, Sora is goofy looking, but in a charming way:

It's kind of a busy design but not too busy, and the big shoes give him an odd childlike sense about him. Then Rex is just...

What's going on here? I couldn't tell you.

D

Deleted member

Somethingsomething some people think getting Incineroar will prevent any old fan favourite from getting in.
That's pretty stupid. If Isaac or whoever doesn't get in they weren't meant to get in, it's not Incineroar's fault.
I'm genuiely suprised this fanbase hasn't created a petition titled "Stop BS Anime Character From Stealing Real Nintendo Characters Slots In Smash!".

It's kind of a busy design but not too busy, and the big shoes give him an odd childlike sense about him. Then Rex is just...

Hmm, I feel like I've been here before...

Last edited by a moderator:

Ring-a-Sheep

Smash Ace

I forget how much i actually love rex's clothing design, theres something about an abundance of belts and metal that just drives a design home for me

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I forget how much i actually love rex's clothing design, theres something about an abundance of belts and metal that just drives a design home for me
You must like characters designed by Nomura then.

D

Deleted member

To add onto this, did they even advertise the game? I saw the initial announcement for X but i never saw anything else about it and forgot about it until a few months ago. I genuinely don't know if they advertised it or not.
It had it's own Direct, but that was the thing. Xenoblade Chronicles X's marketing was ****. They NEVER capitalized on marketing the game in any other way outside of either an E3 Direct, General one or it's own dedicated Direct. And that was pretty much the problem with practically every Wii U game.

Literally if your name isn't "Mario Kart" or "Splatoon", your game was a failure across the mark. You wanna know why New Super Mario Bros. U, DKC: Tropical Freeze, Bayo 2 and much more are going to the Switch? They're finding a much more broader and new audience they never could with the Wii U, and it's worked in spades, especially with DKC: Tropical Freeze becoming one of the 15 Top Selling Switch games of all time.

Smash Wii U sold pretty badly compared to the rest of the Smash games, and to put this in hindsight, Smash 3DS sold 9~10M copies and Wii U only sold 5 million. Now, that might not seem bad, but remember. N64 sold 5.5M copies, Melee sold 7M copies, and Brawl sold 13M copies. Think about that, the Wii U version has yet to outsell the N64 Smash.

Say what you will about sales, but they are an important factor, so I just really can't see content from games like Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Xenoblade Chronicles X, or other Wii U games that "people have played" have a huge role in Smash Ultimate. Hell, there's a reason why Woolly World was cut in the first place.

Shroob

Sup?
I seriously have zero issue with Pyra's design, and know that if she were in Smash, Sakurai would give her actual shorts and not just her booty shorts.

It's some of the OTHER Blade's designs that are.... well that's a big no from me, chief.

osby

Smash Obsessed

Xenoblade generally overdesigns characters, it's nothing unique to Rex.

D

Deleted member

Boy, if people think XC2 is bad, I'd hate to see what'd they think of Blazblue characters...

StormC

Smash Hero
It had it's own Direct, but that was the thing. Xenoblade Chronicles X's marketing was ****. They NEVER capitalized on marketing the game in any other way outside of either an E3 Direct, General one or it's own dedicated Direct. And that was pretty much the problem with practically every Wii U game.

Literally if your name isn't "Mario Kart" or "Splatoon", your game was a failure across the mark. You wanna know why New Super Mario Bros. U, DKC: Tropical Freeze, Bayo 2 and much more are going to the Switch? They're finding a much more broader and new audience they never could with the Wii U, and it's worked in spades, especially with DKC: Tropical Freeze becoming one of the 15 Top Selling Switch games of all time.

Smash Wii U sold pretty badly compared to the rest of the Smash games, and to put this in hindsight, Smash 3DS sold 9~10M copies and Wii U only sold 5 million. Now, that might not seem bad, but remember. N64 sold 5.5M copies, Melee sold 7M copies, and Brawl sold 13M copies. Think about that, the Wii U version has yet to outsell the N64 Smash.

Say what you will about sales, but they are an important factor, so I just really can't see content from games like Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Xenoblade Chronicles X, or other Wii U games that "people have played" have a huge role in Smash Ultimate. Hell, there's a reason why Woolly World was cut in the first place.
3D World sold pretty well.

Where the hell's my World Bowser stage?

God, can't believe Sakurai could ignore me, specifically, like this.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
They are a bit bland, no? Though I might be the only one who likes Rex's stupid outfit.

I'm not a big fan of Xenoblade but I'd say Rex has both popularity and a critically acclaimed game on his side. I'd be okay with both but honestly, it feels like we are going to get Rex and a lot of fans will moan because "anime","swordsman" and "promotion".
At least Xenoblade isn't over represented like Fire Emblem is now, and he would be far more unique than most sword users due to the whole driver and blade mechanic.

ThreeT

Smash Apprentice

I'll accept being one of the few people to not have a problem with Rex's design. I understand why people can not like it, but I didn't think he was as big of a deal as most did. His pants also don't draw attention to me, but of course that's me.

StormC

Smash Hero
Xenoblade generally overdesigns characters, it's nothing unique to Rex.
Shulk's design worked a lot better for me. It at least looked practical. Something I could see an adventurer wearing in a sci-fi fantasy world.

What's the practical purpose of having your inner thighs exposed while protecting the front with armor?

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I initially didn't like Rex's design but seeing how it changes to a diving suit in game made so much sense I came around to it.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Shulk's design worked a lot better for me. It at least looked practical. Something I could see an adventurer wearing in a sci-fi fantasy world.

What's the practical purpose of having your inner thighs exposed while protecting the front with armor?
Same can be said of :4corrinf:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
I thing I don't like about Rex's design is that there is skin showing on his upper leg for no reason. It just looks weird and should be covered up.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I thing I don't like about Rex's design is that there is skin showing on his upper leg for no reason. It just looks weird and should be covered up.
This looks incredibly weird to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom