• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Nah man it’s actually Isabelle...she’s been lying to all of us and Nook for far too long (well her and Waluigi)
>30 minutes and no new posts

Jokes aside, I'd love to see a comic where Isabelle beats up Waluigi and steals his invitation to Smash Bros.

Attachments

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
>30 minutes and no new posts
View attachment 167733
Sure is dead around here.

Jokes aside, I'd love to see a comic where Isabelle beats up Waluigi and steals his invitation to Smash Bros.
Doesn't he need to receive an invitation for that to happen in the first place? That sounds more unrealistic than Isabelle beating up somebody to rob them.

Shroob

Sup?
It turned into more of a 2nd General Discussion thread though...
I mean, it had been that way since the 2nd page more or less.

But compare it to now.

We racked up over 100 pages in a week. How many pages has this thread gotten in the same amount of time?

There's just nothing 'to' discuss right now, which is what made the leak thread fun, because anyone who didn't 'want' to see 'leaks'/rumors/4chan garbage didn't have to, while we could have it en masse.

After they closed the leak thread, my motivation to log in took a huge hit, and I think a LOT of people feel the same rn.

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I mean, it had been that way since the 2nd page more or less.

But compare it to now.

We racked up over 100 pages in a week. How many pages has this thread gotten in the same amount of time?

There's just nothing 'to' discuss right now, which is what made the leak thread fun, because anyone who didn't 'want' to see 'leaks'/rumors/4chan garbage didn't have to, while we could have it en masse.

After they closed the leak thread, my motivation to log in took a huge hit, and I think a LOT of people feel the same rn.
If you're the sort of person whose only motivation was leaks, then yes it was a bummer. But not everyone is like that. This thread is actually picking back up because it's not divided between two threads like last time. Besides, you can still discuss leaks in this thread. It's just that there's a lot of discretion that is to be advised.

The leak thread was only supposed to lift the burden of having to discuss leaks from this thread, but that ended up not being the case and instead became a 2nd General. Since it derailed in the span of a week, it got locked. End of story, the end, goodbye

Shroob

Sup?
If you're the sort of person whose only motivation was leaks, then yes it was a bummer. But not everyone is like that. This thread is actually picking back up because it's not divided between two threads like last time. Besides, you can still discuss leaks in this thread. It's just that there's a lot of discretion that is to be advised.

The leak thread was only supposed to lift the burden of having to discuss leaks from this thread, but that ended up not being the case and instead became a 2nd General. Since it derailed in the span of a week, it got locked. End of story, the end, goodbye
Coming off a bit on edge here, aren't we?

All I'm saying is that my log-in motivation took an enormous hit.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
It definitely got dull after it's closure. And all I'm greeted here is circle talk about what character may or may not come in.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Hasn't this thread always been like that?
Which is why I avoid it at times. Leak thread provided some possible ideas that could happen or not. But since people wanna talk about random characters there instead of here, it gets locked. Now we're stuck here while I'm chasing comments every two seconds.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
That......

......and the claim that this thread slowed down after the leak thread locked. As someone who follows this thread, that's not the case at all...
Shroob is saying that the Leak thread had much more active discussion than this thread does, even now when it's reunited. I would actually agree with this statement.

From the topic of leaks came a bunch of different topics and debates (Who SE Rep is, Box/Music/Blog Theory, Steve and Minecraft Representation, Vergeben and Hitagi, horrible 4chan text leaks, etc), and discussion there felt more open, even if that was a bad thing in some cases.

Here, we just seem to be going around in circles with the regular debate topics (i.e. Shadow, Goku, Dante, Spirits Mode, etc.), forum games, countdowns, and sentimentality. There's also a certain cynicism in regards to leaks here that wasn't present in the Leak thread, which stifles discussion around those topics because it's just going to be stonewalled. What's the point then? Really?

I understand that most of this is because we're nearing the end of the speculation cycle and are currently in a mini information drought, but discussion here is kinda dead.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I mean, one of the driving factors about the creation of the leak thread, besides Ken, was the fact that there was more or less an overwhelming presence here of people who either didn't want to discuss leaks or didn't want to be spoiled.

And discussion through spoiler tags is
Quite impractical

Yeah, it devolved into "General 2.0", but I'd also partially blame the fact that there wasn't a lot of actual rule enforcement in the first place there, which lead into discussions.

When we get off topic here, Spirit Trainer or Ismar usually comes in and silences us. Didn't really happen there.

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Shroob is saying that the Leak thread had much more active discussion than this thread does, even now when it's reunited. I would actually agree with this statement.

From the topic of leaks came a bunch of different topics and debates (Who SE Rep is, Box/Music/Blog Theory, Steve and Minecraft Representation, Vergeben and Hitagi, horrible 4chan text leaks, etc), and discussion there felt more open, even if that was a bad thing in some cases.

Here, we just seem to be going around in circles with the regular debate topics (i.e. Shadow, Goku, Dante, Spirits Mode, etc.), forum games, countdowns, and sentimentality. I understand that most of this is because we're nearing the end of the speculation cycle and are currently in a mini information drought, but discussion in general is kinda dead.
Like I said, you are not barred from talking about leaks in this thread now that there isn't a dedicated thread to it. The leak thread was brought about by people complaining about being spoiled in this thread, which I thought was a non-issue. But as it turned out, separating leak discussion from general discussion became to much for people to grasp apparently. Time and time again I see mod messages over there saying "take it over to the general thread, take it over to the general thread, take it over to the general thread," but to no avail. As such, it was closed

D

Deleted member

Speculation never got "dull because the leak thread closed". That thread after like five pages ended up becoming an expected trainwreck, and all the people involved should've seen it coming a mile away. Not to mention it had needless fighting and toxicity kinda grew even more. The real crux of the situation is that there isn't much to go off of at the current moment and/or topics have been exhausted to the nth degree, thus discussion hasn't really picked up as it should.

That, and also the fact that people are now starting to get ready for what'll be the upcoming "peak time" for leaks in about a month's time, and also some people have gotten sick and tired of how volatile and just plain uninteresting the environment is for speculation, so there's those variables too.

Some "leak thread" isn't gonna fix all the problems regarding speculation and would just be asking for a useless thread where we already have one centralized general thread to begin with. If that wasn't the case, wouldn't the leak thread still be open? Trust me, when that announcement of the October Smash presentation comes, we'll all be back and good.

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Also, if you look back, I was actually relieved that a separate leak thread was made. I felt that a burden was lifted on this thread. But a leak thread was a "privilege," not a right.

Coming back here afterwards and pouting and stomping your feet saying, "Hmph, this place is lame" doesn't sit well with me

StormC

Smash Hero
I'm fine with talking in circles, but yeah, the general... tension in the atmosphere of this thread in the last few weeks is why I've largely checked out.

October will be a long month.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Also, if you look back, I was actually relieved that a separate leak thread was made. I felt that a burden was lifted on this thread. But a leak thread was a "privilege," not a right.

Coming back here afterwards and pouting and stomping your feet saying, "Hmph, this place is lame" doesn't sit well with me
I can get why some people were upset, but yeah, this thread became livelier and I don't have to juggle between two general threads, so it's good for me. Maybe they'll open it again if a new direct gets announced and surge of leaks start again.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Well, I'll just keep watching this clown fiesta from the sidelines (if possible).

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Speculation never got "dull because the leak thread closed". That thread after like five pages ended up becoming an expected trainwreck, and all the people involved should've seen it coming a mile away. Not to mention it had needless fighting and toxicity kinda grew even more. The real crux of the situation is that there isn't much to go off of at the current moment and/or topics have been exhausted to the nth degree, thus discussion hasn't really picked up as it should.

That, and also the fact that people are now starting to get ready for what'll be the upcoming "peak time" for leaks in about a month's time, and also some people have gotten sick and tired of how volatile and just plain uninteresting the environment is for speculation, so there's those variables too.

Some "leak thread" isn't gonna fix all the problems regarding speculation and would just be asking for a useless thread where we already have one centralized general thread to begin with. If that wasn't the case, wouldn't the leak thread still be open? Trust me, when that announcement of the October Smash presentation comes, we'll all be back and good.
I nor anyone else ever stated that a "leak thread" would fix anything. We're just saying that discussion was much more open there compared to here.
Like I said, you are not barred from talking about leaks in this thread now that there isn't a dedicated thread to it. The leak thread was brought about by people complaining about being spoiled in this thread, which I thought was a non-issue. But as it turned out, separating leak discussion from general discussion became to much for people to grasp apparently. Time and time again I see mod messages over there saying "take it over to the general thread, take it over to the general thread, take it over to the general thread," but to no avail. As such, it was closed
I'll quote this since it conveys a part of my point better than I could. There still is an overwhelming presence here of people who either don't want to discuss leaks or be spoiled by the way.
I mean, one of the driving factors about the creation of the leak thread, besides Ken, was the fact that there was more or less an overwhelming presence here of people who either didn't want to discuss leaks or didn't want to be spoiled.

And discussion through spoiler tags is
Quite impractical

Yeah, it devolved into "General 2.0", but I'd also partially blame the fact that there wasn't a lot of actual rule enforcement in the first place there, which lead into discussions.

When we get off topic here, Spirit Trainer or Ismar usually comes in and silences us. Didn't really happen there.
You say we can discuss leaks here, but we really can't. Not like in the previous thread. Like I said, discussion gets stonewalled here time and time again.

You even say it yourself, "Leaks are bull**** until proven otherwise." Most people share this sentiment, and have since even before I began the Leaks Count/Archive. Most leak discussion is shut down here because people don't want to think of it.

I just love me some good old internet passive aggressiveness.

Seriously dude, I expect better from you. How can you say "oh yeah you can discuss leaks" and then also say "well, I don't like it when you discuss leaks here." It literally proves the point we're trying to make about people not wanting to discuss leaks and how discussion of leaks gets shut down here.

Last edited:

Isaac for Smash Pls

Smash Journeyman
I know how to make this thread pick back up again:

Let's talk about Isaac from Golden Sun. What a great potential character, and gee willikers it sure was nice of Mr. Sakurai to tease his inclusion with that there Rathalos tweet. I'll be dognabbed if Isaac isn't in the game, especially with all those oodles of DLC we will surely get.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something

Let's talk about Isaac from Golden Sun. What a great potential character, and gee willikers it sure was nice of Mr. Sakurai to tease his inclusion with that there Rathalos tweet. I'll be dognabbed if Isaac isn't in the game, especially with all those oodles of DLC we will surely get.
yeah I think we can all agree on this.

Shroob

Sup?

Oof, what's wrong, man? This isn't the happy go lucky Zinith I know. This is passive-aggressive angry Zinith who's less Yoshi and way more Boshi.

Last edited:

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I just love me some good old internet passive aggressiveness.

Seriously dude, I expect better from you. How can you say "oh yeah you can discuss leaks" and then also say "well, I don't like it when you discuss leaks here." It literally proves the point we're trying to make about people not wanting to discuss leaks and how discussion of leaks gets shut down here.
Oof, what's wrong, man? This isn't the happy go lucky Zinith I know. This is passive-aggressive angry Zinith who's less Yoshi and way more Boshi.
Yeah, I admit that I'm not a fan of discussing leaks. It's part of my motto. But that doesn't mean I think this thread should be barred from discussing them. Whenever it comes up, I just leave the conversation for the most part (probably stating my motto). When the new thread popped up, I was relieved. I'd only drop in from time to time and most of my focus would be here. But when it got locked, people just got sour even though the conversations didn't really change with having one or two threads.

D

Deleted member

I nor anyone else ever stated that a "leak thread" would fix anything. We're just saying that discussion was much more open there compared to here.
It'd seem whenever I come around here, it seems to be just as open as it was in the other thread. Though, to be fair, I've mainly been off and on lately, so maybe that isn't the case.

At the end of the day, I just want ****ing Geno to be confirmed so I can have closure and wait until the inevitable reveal of Rex & Pyra man lmao

osby

Smash Obsessed

Let's do pattern recognition. When did Sakurai tease newcomers' reveals moths earlier before?

Anybody looking forward to Mega Man 11 and Starlink: Battle of Atlas?
Mega Man 11 looks gorgeous and very fun so I'm looking forward to it.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
That moment when a legit gameplay leak happens and it's got nothing to do with Smash, but still looks awesome.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Coming off a bit on edge here, aren't we?

All I'm saying is that my log-in motivation took an enormous hit.
Why is that? As far as I can see what was discussed in there back then has been discussed just as well and just as often in here.

The only real difference between the two threads is now there's no fake, one post user, leakers constantly making one off, blatantly obvious, fake leaks. As far as I can see the Leak Thread didn't provide anything different than here which is a big reason we closed it. You guys, myself included, weren't even discussing leaks anymore.

Last edited:

Isaac for Smash Pls

Smash Journeyman
Let's do pattern recognition. When did Sakurai tease newcomers' reveals moths earlier before?
I could be wrong here but didn't Sakurai tease a picture of a Monado at some point during the Sm4sh season, like a year before the Shulk reveal? I think he'd just attended some kind of concert or event or something so you couldn't call it definitive proof, but he was definitely aware of Shulk.

Obviously as Isaac fans, the rest of his fanbase and myself are choosing to look at the Rathalos tweet with rosy-tinted glasses, but it's better than anything else we've gotten since Brawl in terms of recognition from the devs. And I want to think that Isaac's fanbase is big enough by now and he did well enough in the ballot that if he wasn't in the base game or slated for DLC, Sakurai would have given us a mercy killing early on and deconfirmed him right away...

D

Deleted member

Here's something to talk about: the upcoming music update that should going up today. So far, we have these franchises left to get updates from. Now, I could be entirely wrong with who's left, but this is at the least what I've came up with.

Wario
Star Fox
Kid Icarus
Duck Hunt
Wii Fit / Mii
EarthBound / MOTHER
Punch-Out!!
Xenoblade Chronicles
Sonic The Hedgehog
Final Fantasy
Bayonetta

Who knows, maybe it's finally time we get to hear another Sonic remix? Or maybe we might actually get a Xenoblade remix that actually is worth a damn. If we get another MOTHER remix, it definitely has a lot to live up to after Smiles and Tears, Magicant and Onett from Smash 4, that's for sure.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Here's something to talk about: the upcoming music update that should going up today. So far, we have these franchises left to get updates from. Now, I could be entirely wrong with who's left, but this is at the least what I've came up with.

Wario
Star Fox
Kid Icarus
Duck Hunt
Wii Fit / Mii
EarthBound / MOTHER
Punch-Out!!
Xenoblade Chronicles
Sonic The Hedgehog
Final Fantasy
Bayonetta

Who knows, maybe it's finally time we get to hear another Sonic remix? Or maybe we might actually get a Xenoblade remix that actually is worth a damn. If we get another MOTHER remix, it definitely has a lot to live up to after Smiles and Tears, Magicant and Onett from Smash 4, that's for sure.
I'd love a Xenoblade remix, but at the same time I would like that to be held back because from what we've seen series with a newcomer (not an echo) typically don't have a music track on the site before they're revealed. I gotta hold out for Elma. Please...

So instead, a Mother or Kid Icarus track would be pretty neat.

Last edited:

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Why is that? As far as I can see what was discussed in there back then has been discussed just as well and just as often in here.

The only real difference between the two threads is now there's no fake, one post user, leakers constantly making one off, blatantly obvious, fake leaks. As far as I can see the Leak Thread didn't provide anything different than here which is a big reason we closed it. You guys, myself included, weren't even discussing leaks anymore.
Which is weird because you could've steered it into a better direction but let it go into this predicament. Kinda strange to keep it out of control like that and contribute it further.

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I'd love a Xenoblade remix, but at the same time I would like that to be held back because from what we've seen series with a newcomer (not an echo) typically don't have a music track on the site before they're revealed. I gotta hold out for Elma. Please...

Well on the bright side for you, the Music Theory DID take a hit with the Pokemon track last week (unless you're convinced that we're not getting a Pokemon newcomer this time)

Shroob

Sup?

To me, it's more of a conceptual moreso than a physical reason.

When the leak thread existed, usually discussion would be on the current 'leak', and then move onto the next.

A "General" thread can have several topics going at once, so there's no real focus.

As someone who has a very hard time multi tasking mentally, I preferred the 'theoretically' single-minded discussion over the 'general' discussion.

It got messy later on, not denying it, but the way I remember it was the leak thread went:

Ken Leak > Hitagi > Discussing possibility of two SE characters > Discussing Steve > Vergeben > **** went south.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I could be wrong here but didn't Sakurai tease a picture of a Monado at some point during the Sm4sh season, like a year before the Shulk reveal? I think he'd just attended some kind of concert or event or something so you couldn't call it definitive proof, but he was definitely aware of Shulk.

Obviously as Isaac fans, the rest of his fanbase and myself are choosing to look at the Rathalos tweet with rosy-tinted glasses, but it's better than anything else we've gotten since Brawl in terms of recognition from the devs. And I want to think that Isaac's fanbase is big enough by now and he did well enough in the ballot that if he wasn't in the base game or slated for DLC, Sakurai would have given us a mercy killing early on and deconfirmed him right away...
A deconfirmation is only really possible if he's in the game physically and not playable, which might not be the case, like in Smash For.

Honestly, I don't know what to think about Isaac. Rathalos tweet really could be nothing but on the other hand it isn't the only thing going for him, even though there's hardly any leak involving him. I guess I'll just wait and see.

Isaac for Smash Pls

Smash Journeyman
...Funny you should, uh, say that...
Man, nothing would make me happier. 0% chance that there won't be a new Pokemon though, even if it isn't Incineroar. And I really hope it's not.

EDIT: osby osby yeah that's the result all of us fear the most. No assist trophy, no playable character, just nothing. In a way though, nothing isn't as bad as an Assist Trophy because at least if he isn't in the game at all we can hold out for DLC. I guess an Assist Trophy COULD be upgraded in the same game, but it seems foolish to hold out for that with no evidence.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

On the topic of Mother, a friendly reminder to everyone that Mother 3 is the greatest RPG of all time and this track needs to be remixed for Smash Ultimate.

Monkey's Delivery Service (for mobile users)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom