• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

777Laser

Smash Apprentice
I gotta get this off my chest, mainly at just this one part of your post, friend. When you have notable people in the gaming sphere like Alpharad and others not giving a **** about "spoiler alerts", I don't think anyone would be at fault. They were practically spoiling Simon and Richter constantly where as others were trying to keep a lip on stuff. Hell, as much as Etika loves leaks, I'll give the dude some props and respect and not being an ******* to get the word out on Twitter.

Spoiler alerts will never work when you have people with clout disregarding them in the first place.
Good point bro. Spoil alerts are definitely moot, but let's call it a "phobia" for leaks. If you truly are afraid of what might leak ruining it for you, you could unsubscribe, clear your YouTube data to not get things regarding smash in your feed etc. You run the risk of seeing leaks coming on here too, and I think it's about discerning that possibility that content was leaked. I'm truly cautious about some things I see on the internet, or on thumbnails because of disappointment or heck, pissing my pants. If I watch a sport and I don't want to see my favorite player's stats after a bad game, I know where not to check because I know it's 110% there. If I don't want to see a pikachu fused ganadorf (which I honestly find repulsive) I know what not to search. But that all comes down to do I truly feel strongly about not wanting to see things.

Another alternative to avoid spoilers if all else fails; don't watch trailers or go on the blog. You might know the leaks but go into the game blind to other content that was officially shown. If you care about the experience being fresh.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'd say respecting the wishes of the wonderful man that literally destroys his body to bring us this game is just a little more important than feeding pointless impatience. Or keeping the development team in high spirits so the game we're already buying is the highest quality it can possibly be. Honestly, I value the pride and excitement of the animators eagerly anticipating the reactions of those that finally get to see the trailer they made for Simon over some thirsty Smash fans.

EDIT: Eh, this is more important to me than most, I'm probably overreacting. It's just that I've seen people lose jobs because they didn't keep their mouths shut and told their families about what they were working on, and seen people damage their family life because they COULDN'T talk about what they work on. There's a severe lack of respect, or perhaps even knowledge about the sheer hellscape of game development that really, really depresses me. Throw those people bones where you can, let them have their fun, they deserve it for Pete's sake!
Don't worry, this isn't something to overreact about. This honestly is something that unfortunately keeps getting swept under the rug by many, and it saddens me a bit. As someone who worked on projects involving impactful internet personalities, the reactions of people seeing the videos firsthand without having the contents leaked is what brings us so much happiness. It's a problem that I hope this forum comes to understand as we move forward into Smash Ultimate.

Good point bro. Spoil alerts are definitely moot, but let's call it a "phobia" for leaks. If you truly are afraid of what might leak ruining it for you, you could unsubscribe, clear your YouTube data to not get things regarding smash in your feed etc. You run the risk of seeing leaks coming on here too, and I think it's about discerning that possibility that content was leaked. I'm truly cautious about some things I see on the internet, or on thumbnails because of disappointment or heck, pissing my pants. If I watch a sport and I don't want to see my favorite player's stats after a bad game, I know where not to check because I know it's 110% there. If I don't want to see a pikachu fused ganadorf (which I honestly find repulsive) I know what not to search. But that all comes down to do I truly feel strongly about not wanting to see things.

Another alternative to avoid spoilers if all else fails; don't watch trailers or go on the blog. You might know the leaks but go into the game blind to other content that was officially shown. If you care about the experience being fresh.
Right, but do people know how to clear out YouTube algorithm data or getting nitty gritty in other stuff to clear out any chance of leaks? Don't get me wrong, I know and get where you're coming from, but I'm mainly looking at this at the most broadest view possible when you have so many variables that can bypass even the biggest of safeguards.

D

Deleted member

So, I think I might have an unpopular taste when comes to Third Party character choices for Smash. I was hesitant about posting my choices because I fear that people are tired of hearing about them. But if you want to read them here they are:
Zero (Mega Man X)
Leon Kennedy, Chris Redfield, or Jill Valentine (Resident Evil)
Dante (Devil May Cry)
Monster Hunter (...Monster Hunter)
Kazuma Kiryu (Yakuza)
Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
2B (Nier)
Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)
Bill Rizier (Contra)
Doomguy (DOOM)
Lone Wander (Fallout)
Kazuya (Shin Megami Tensei)
Aleph (Shin Megami Tensei)
Demi-Fiend (Shin Megami Tensei)
Flynn (Shin Megami Tensei)
Anyways, do you think my choices are unpopular?

TheDukeofDorks

Smash Apprentice

Isn't that an absurd amount of steps to take for something that's really not going to work in the first place?

Let's say you're an avid Smash fan that wanted to avoid Simon getting leaked. To do that, you would have had to avoid literally every single video game news outlet that talks about Smash. As well as every major and minor Smash Brothers personality, because there's no guarantee that they won't spoil it either. But wait, you've got to avoid the other fans too, because they'll be talking about it in every comment section remotely related to Smash Brothers, Nintendo, or the thing that got leaked. I mean, for goodness sake, I initially found about Simon getting leaked from a Castlevania cover!

Or people could just be a little careful about what they talk about.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
So, I think I might have an unpopular taste when comes to Third Party character choices for Smash. I was hesitant about posting my choices because I fear that people are tired of hearing about them. But if you want to read them here they are:
Zero (Mega Man X)
Dante (Devil May Cry)
Kazuma Kiryu (Yakuza)
Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
2B (Nier)
Bill Rizier (Contra)
Doomguy (DOOM)
Lone Wander (Fallout)
No Crash? 0/10 Delete your account!!!

*Invoking GameFaqs self* :yoshi:

D

Deleted member

Zero (Mega Man X)
Dante (Devil May Cry)
Kazuma Kiryu (Yakuza)
Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
2B (Nier)
Bill Rizier (Contra)
Doomguy (DOOM)
Lone Wander (Fallout)
Literally the only thing that matters is that you put our glorious Kiryu-chan and Yakuza on this list, so you and all your picks get a pass.
AS LONG AS GORO IS AN ECHO FIGHTER.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Zero (Mega Man X)
Dante (Devil May Cry)
Kazuma Kiryu (Yakuza)
Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
2B (Nier)
Bill Rizier (Contra)
Doomguy (DOOM)
Lone Wander (Fallout)
Only Kazuma, Bill, Lone Wander and the SMT characters could be considered "unpopular". Everyone has a good chunk of supporters.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Okay, so... I've been gone for about 16 Hours, have I missed anything important?

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Okay, so... I've been gone for about 16 Hours, have I missed anything important?
Music theory might be busted. Then again, Vergeben could be busted instead.

Enchess

Smash Lord
Music Theory and Verg are now in opposition and a debate broke out over whether using "autistic" as an insult is offensive or no big deal (cuz Verg did)

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I feel like this huge argument about leaks could be taking place in the leak thread...

Because a lot of us flat out don't want to be surprised.

We have jobs and lives to attend to.
And how exactly does being surprised take up MORE of your time? The time you spend looking at leaks and rumors is time you aren't attending to your life or job. Being surprised is instantaneous.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Music theory might be busted. Then again, Vergeben could be busted instead.
Music Theory and Verg are now in opposition and a debate broke out over whether using "autistic" as an insult is offensive or no big deal (cuz Verg did)
I see...

Well, glad I missed that then. XD

At least the song is great, regardless of what it means for speculation.

Shroob

Sup?
And how exactly does being surprised take up MORE of your time? The time you spend looking at leaks and rumors is time you aren't attending to your life or job. Being surprised is instantaneous.

By the time I get off work, the Direct's contents are already all over the internet, so to me, unless I dance on eggshells, it's impossible.

I was young for Brawl and Smash4, now that I'm older, I just want the roster and speculation scene to be over.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
By the time I get off work, the Direct's contents are already all over the internet, so to me, unless I dance on eggshells, it's impossible.

I was young for Brawl and Smash4, now that I'm older, I just want the roster and speculation scene to be over.
Maybe I don't understand. I guess it just seems like you're intentionally seeking that information out is the thing that's wasting your time.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Maybe I don't understand. I guess it just seems like you intentionally seeking that information out is the thing that's wasting your time.
Part of my ire is that the blog this time is worthless, which I've said a million times at this point.

If they saved items/assists/pokemon for random blog updates, it'd be one thing, but once we get our Direct, we know what our blogposts are the next two months.

Smash Dojo it ain't. It's not even the PotD.

bobadz

Smash Ace
The reason verg gets heat is because A: he has a spotty track record with other games (DBFZ, Soul Caliber 6, and MVCI) and B: he comes off as obnoxious and attention seeking to some. I even recall another leaker calling him out for being an attention *****.

I post just as Konami officially revealed the Rondo of blood/SOTN collection.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Part of my ire is that the blog this time is worthless, which I've said a million times at this point.

If they saved items/assists/pokemon for random blog updates, it'd be one thing, but once we get our Direct, we know what our blogposts are the next two months.

Smash Dojo it ain't. It's not even the PotD.
I've watched every single characters individual trailer over 20 times now I think. It might not be the most hype way to show off the game but if I had to wait for my favorite character to get their trailer revealed I'd be a bit annoyed.

I love the info dumps. Besides, the website is only really there for the hardcore fans like us anyways. Everyone else will see the news in Directs or elsewhere and never even take a glance at the site.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I've watched every single characters individual trailer over 20 times now I think. It might not be the most hype way to show off the game but if I had to wait for my favorite character to get their trailer revealed I'd be a bit annoyed.

I love the info dumps. Besides, the website is only really there for the hardcore fans like us anyways. Everyone else will see the news in Directs or elsewhere and never even take a glance at the site.
I do the same. Sometimes individually, or I just put the playlist with all of them on.

Today I even rewatched the E3 reveal and August Direct.

Just can't get enough of seeing the game. Can only imagine what I'm going to be like playing it.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Oof, I can't keep track of how many times I watched my boi's character trailer

Now I'm just waiting for his blog post :yoshi:
I hope you don't mind waiting until December then, given Smash' track record...

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
Zero (Mega Man X)
Dante (Devil May Cry)
Kazuma Kiryu (Yakuza)
Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
2B (Nier)
Bill Rizier (Contra)
Doomguy (DOOM)
Lone Wander (Fallout)
>Ryu Hayabusa
>Bill Rizier
>Doomguy
>2B
You're alright

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Not that I agree with the reboot idea for Star Fox Zero, but in their defense, the story got really convoluted after SF Command. And there were adult themes like infidelity and stuff in a game about furry animals being marketed to kids.

I actually loved Command because I'm trash, but I wouldn't want to be tasked with making a sequel to that game. Didn't it have ten different ending possibilities?
Yeah..I hope if they ever continue, its off of Assault.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I always knew that the music theory didn't hold any water. Just another of the fanbase's many silly conspiracy theories.

Who would have thought?

Also, it's curious that the song is labelled as coming from Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire when it also appeared in the original Ruby/Sapphire. I guess the version from the remakes was used as reference for the new arrangement as opposed to the original version.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
All I'm getting from this is an entire month without updates. Oh boy.

im-still-waiting-5a9765.jpg

But then again, we still don't really know what he means by this, we barely had anything this month. Maybe the blog will get even less updates than usual?

EDIT: Eh, this is more important to me than most, I'm probably overreacting. It's just that I've seen people lose jobs because they didn't keep their mouths shut and told their families about what they were working on, and seen people damage their family life because they COULDN'T talk about what they work on. There's a severe lack of respect, or perhaps even knowledge about the sheer hellscape of game development that really, really depresses me. Throw those people bones where you can, let them have their fun, they deserve it for Pete's sake!
Funny you mention that, even indie developers pour their blood, sweat and tears to deliver compelling game experiences to us. Take the family man in this, for example:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/causalbitgames/battle-princess-madelyn/posts/2223860

While Sakurai is certainly known to have worked his hand to exhaustion, it's not nearly as bad as what that man went through back in June, all for the sake of his daughter's dream game.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Oh wow...you know, sometimes I consider the leaps in logic here when it comes to leaks, speculation for characters as a whole, and whatever else comes up. Yeah, some of it and people who won’t change their minds CAN be maddening. However, we have to realize at the end of the day that this is a video game.

It’s not about being an adult or child. As an adult myself I can tell you that not all adults are better than kids. Not everybody is out for the same result with this game, so not everyone will want to believe in the same thought processes.

You have to accept that, as hard as it may be.

Anyway, with that new article from siliconera, for Sakurai to say that it seems...damning, but also could mean anything. With two months to go, I wouldn’t be expecting anything massive at this point, folks.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
In case you thought this game was going to be exciting and Isabelle hadn't already tipped you off... Even one more character on Ridley, Simon or K. Rool's level of exciting would be a godsend at this point.

Tart

Smash Cadet
A dry spell be comin'.

With that Sakurai just said, I now think we're getting no more the leaked two at this point. Only thing really up in the air is if the rumored SE character is going to end up being DLC or not.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Honestly, while getting less characters than what I expect might be a little disappointing, I just think about what we already have announced and get over it quickly. I keep thinking the game could release now and be successful and we're getting more characters and content still!

EDIT: As for a possible month with no new info, the time frame for Ultimate's prerelease means it'll be nothing compared to waiting 6 months for a newcomer after Smash 4's E3 reveal.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I don't really care about the amount of characters that are left at this point, I just want to know if the next Smash Direct dump will be the final one on October, that's it. I haven't waited an entire month just so I can hear about the goalpost being moved yet again, at that point I'd rather focus on my game backlog until something happens.

Flynn__

Smash Journeyman
Remember that he revealed 5 characters in a single Direct, so the fact that there is going to be less announcements per se doesn't mean that we're getting just one or two characters.

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
Well, almost the first thing we heard from Sakurai was "Don´t spect too many characters" , the hype was low but the August Direct with 5 fighters fired it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom